The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

30 Year old sold his startup for 170 million $ just wrote 1284 slides on how to win life

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
"Some le gems from my 30k 99% working class uncle who just retired at 76, on how to win at life..."

5500 upvotes, 14x gilded

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
I'd never heard of Ryan Allis before now, but he seems like a great guy.

My favorite is people who comment on this: "Oh if he's so much how come he needed 1200 slides to prove a point" and they smirk like they're so smart.

Next favorite comment:

"This is too funny - a 30 year old writing a PPT deck attempting to teach us how to "win life" - get back to us when you are older -- like your 40s or 50s when you actually have some life experience to share. I am sick and tired of stories like these from young snots who happened to literally be at the right place/right time and somehow it makes them wiser than the rest of us.

If we weren't in a tech bubble, this kid would be probably be a staff level employee somewhere... seriously."

I've been working on my abundance mindset as those with scarcity mindset either: 1) Brood and are jealous of others accomplishments and/or 2) Try to tear those who are successful down as fast as possible. I used to be #1 big time, but realized in the past month, you feel so much better with cheering others successful and wishing for others to get ahead instead of secretly wishing others failure.

When you look at it like: This guy worked his a$$ off to get to a point where he can sell his Co. for 170MM and then takes the time to try and help others, it tells you the value of the man and proof that more money just makes you more of what you already are.

Good for Ryan, a new fan on this end [hadn't heard of him before]

I 100% agree, determination and willpower are absolutely necessary for success, I had to kill my scarcity mindset off, It was pretty strong for a while when I was younger, but I changed a lot since then, I had to considering my life goals... one of which is becoming a Billionaire before I am 40 years of age.

I used to get envious at the success of others, especially men like Ryan Allis, so rich so quickly, but now I cheer them on, and wish only the best for them.

I know that when I reach my goal of being a billionaire before 40, people are gonna' look at me and say "lucky".

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
When I first saw this I was just thinking 'Man, I am skeptical of any 30 year old who claims he knows how to 'win life' or anything like that, no matter what he's achieved' but his lessons are very important and can be applied at any age.

Also, no amount of privilege will make you a CEO of multiple successful companies... smh

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
My favorite is people who comment on this: "Oh if he's so much how come he needed 1200 slides to prove a point" and they smirk like they're so smart.

Next favorite comment:

"This is too funny - a 30 year old writing a PPT deck attempting to teach us how to "win life" - get back to us when you are older -- like your 40s or 50s when you actually have some life experience to share. I am sick and tired of stories like these from young snots who happened to literally be at the right place/right time and somehow it makes them wiser than the rest of us.

If we weren't in a tech bubble, this kid would be probably be a staff level employee somewhere... seriously."

I've been working on my abundance mindset as those with scarcity mindset either: 1) Brood and are jealous of others accomplishments and/or 2) Try to tear those who are successful down as fast as possible. I used to be #1 big time, but realized in the past month, you feel so much better with cheering others successful and wishing for others to get ahead instead of secretly wishing others failure.

When you look at it like: This guy worked his a$$ off to get to a point where he can sell his Co. for 170MM and then takes the time to try and help others, it tells you the value of the man and proof that more money just makes you more of what you already are.

Good for Ryan, a new fan on this end [hadn't heard of him before]

Call me philosophical but I think if someone is going to be successful, they'll be successful at any time. Whether it's now, thousand years from now, or a thousand years ago.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
When I first saw this I was just thinking 'Man, I am skeptical of any 30 year old who claims he knows how to 'win life' or anything like that, no matter what he's achieved' but his lessons are very important and can be applied at any age.

Also, no amount of privilege will make you a CEO of multiple successful companies... smh
I read a bunch and thought many were right on

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
Wow this guy wrote an article ripping the guy? http://www.businessinsider.com/ryan-allis-life-lessons-are-inane-2014-8

I sent Ryan a thank you email after reading through all the slides. I learned alot. Two different mindsets at work here. (Biz INSIDERS comments are horrible too).

Sure there were some typos, borrowed quotes and corny sayings but geez what an effort did this guy make yeah?

Funny this article writer advises Ryan to 'check his privilege'. How disgusting. Quite honestly, I'm sick and tired of people criticizing everyone because the messenger isn't who they approve of. As a Black man myself, I see this used a lot against 'us' and other 'minorities' (don't really like that word either).

We have to remain reasonable people, able to hold our emotions in check and 'cherry pick' tidbits and facts that may prove useful to us even if they come from 'less than ideal' sources. This is Maturity. Arnold Schwarzenegger's infidelity got you down? Don't throw away the whole fruit, cut out the bruised bit and see what else Arnold can teach you. I like hearing Tai Lopez rant about that, (I borrowed the Arnold example from him).

There's an old saying that I like very much (that I'm probably butchering) -- "If you judge the message based on the messenger, no messenger is left."

There is always 'something wrong' with any messenger if you look hard enough.

Businessinsider was started by henry blodgett a slowlane analyst for the banking cabal who then got busted for fraud haaaa telling people to buy stocks while bashing in private

BI wad invested in by jeff bezos say what you want he is a bilderberg now

Its been going in a sad outrageous slowlane direction alot since imo

pds

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Apr 28, 2014
NYC
Awesome find! I'm reading http://startupguide.com/entrepreneurship/the-story/ and it's amazing how young he was when he started learning valuable life lessons. Reminds me a lot of Gurbaksh Chahal (sold two companies for a total of $340mm by age 25).

If you want to listen to him talk through the slides:

Last edited:

All In

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 24, 2014
CA, FL, and VA
Thanks for the share. I just finished all of the slides. I did almost all of the exercises in the slides. I'd recommend doing them, and if anything it might help just illuminate where you're at in life now a bit more (that's what it did for me). According to the life plan exercises, it looks like I'm supposed to be some kind of self-help author, an example as to how to live a mindful life, and to help people become their best selves. I did NOT expect that outcome from this exercise...

I also have a strong urge to start putting money into LendingClub after reading this... haha. A bit of good marketing thrown in the mix?

The slide that states "If you don't live in an intellectual center, consider a move" definitely made me stop and reflect for a bit, having recently moved FROM San Francisco. Has anybody here moved for similar reasons? I'd just be curious of your experiences. I wrote a good bit about mine here.

There were a lot of "passion" ideas that seem to contradict with my pre-existing views on passion. Particularly the slide, "Find a mission that you are deeply passionate about and build a business to pursue the heck out of it." Perhaps there's a difference here between love and passion? I'd appreciate people's thoughts/discussion on this. I'm still sorting out what to make of this.

The slide, "What you should really fear isn't failure. What you should really fear is the regret you'll feel when you're 80 having never given it a try." was one of my favorites. Totally agree.

The view Ryan Allis has of the future world is one I'd very much like to see. However, I have reservations when I see examples like the Singapore example on slide 1052 where he claims the city ended poverty in one lifetime. Perhaps, but also perhaps many impoverished people were simply displaced. I had experiences that reminded me of this while briefly living in San Francisco. A Wikipedia search also cites, "[Singapore] also has one of the highest income inequality levels among developed countries, coming in just behind Hong Kong and in front of the United States." I don't mean to be a hater at all, and that is not my intention. I just find some of these ideas and claims (like Singapore having eliminated poverty) to be a bit romanticized and exclusive of some key facts. BUT I still agree with his general points. Any thoughts on this?

I've been particularly interested in the climate change section. After moving back to Dallas I had a changed perspective of the quality of air I was breathing. I made it a point to replace my cabin air filter in my car, and buy a rather beefy air purifier for my apartment. I'm burning through activated carbon filters quite quickly. I suspect living around so much concrete and so many cars has a factor in this.

I am thankful for these slides. It's made me examine myself and think of the world in a different way over the past couple of days. I am curious of other forum member's experience with the digestion of this information. It was all quite inspirational, and has made me re-examine my current life's plan and path, and re-think how I can contribute the most value to society.

-All In

Last edited by a moderator:

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Thanks for the share. I just finished all of the slides. I did almost all of the exercises in the slides. I'd recommend doing them, and if anything it might help just illuminate where you're at in life now a bit more (that's what it did for me). According to the life plan exercises, it looks like I'm supposed to be some kind of self-help author, an example as to how to live a mindful life, and to help people become their best selves. I did NOT expect that outcome from this exercise...

I also have a strong urge to start putting money into LendingClub after reading this... haha. A bit of good marketing thrown in the mix?

The slide that states "If you don't live in an intellectual center, consider a move" definitely made me stop and reflect for a bit, having recently moved FROM San Francisco. Has anybody here moved for similar reasons? I'd just be curious of your experiences. I wrote a good bit about mine here.

There were a lot of "passion" ideas that seem to contradict with my pre-existing views on passion. Particularly the slide, "Find a mission that you are deeply passionate about and build a business to pursue the heck out of it." Perhaps there's a difference here between love and passion? I'd appreciate people's thoughts/discussion on this. I'm still sorting out what to make of this.

The slide, "What you should really fear isn't failure. What you should really fear is the regret you'll feel when you're 80 having never given it a try." was one of my favorites. Totally agree.

The view Ryan Allis has of the future world is one I'd very much like to see. However, I have reservations when I see examples like the Singapore example on slide 1052 where he claims the city ended poverty in one lifetime. Perhaps, but also perhaps many impoverished people were simply displaced. I had experiences that reminded me of this while briefly living in San Francisco. A Wikipedia search also cites, "[Singapore] also has one of the highest income inequality levels among developed countries, coming in just behind Hong Kong and in front of the United States." I don't mean to be a hater at all, and that is not my intention. I just find some of these ideas and claims (like Singapore having eliminated poverty) to be a bit romanticized and exclusive of some key facts. BUT I still agree with his general points. Any thoughts on this?

I've been particularly interested in the climate change section. After moving back to Dallas I had a changed perspective of the quality of air I was breathing. I made it a point to replace my cabin air filter in my car, and buy a rather beefy air purifier for my apartment. I'm burning through activated carbon filters quite quickly. I suspect living around so much concrete and so many cars has a factor in this.

I am thankful for these slides. It's made me examine myself and think of the world in a different way over the past couple of days. I am curious of other forum member's experience with the digestion of this information. It was all quite inspirational, and has made me re-examine my current life's plan and path, and re-think how I can contribute the most value to society.

-All In
My two cents: my software project isn't by nature sexy and wouldn't on the surface inspire passion. BUT it does solve an incredible need, and when I think about the freedom from tyranny that it'll give it's customers...man, I really get passionate about that..

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Last edited:

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
The slide that states "If you don't live in an intellectual center, consider a move" definitely made me stop and reflect for a bit, having recently moved FROM San Francisco. Has anybody here moved for similar reasons? I'd just be curious of your experiences. I wrote a good bit about mine here....

We left the Silicon Valley for a place more well known for retirement than entrepreneurship. We work from home as employees today (both in tech). We have had interesting conversations with local entrepreneurs and angels that weigh in on both sides of the issue. We do too.

What I will say is there is good and bad, our story is still being written. I think in many ways I'd argue it's more important to locate near the tech centers if you want to make fast money as an employee. This is the strongest draw to take us back to the area. But I'm sorta growing to like being a free man instead of living under the rule of Sacramento too.

As far as you personally, I think you actually underestimate Dallas from a tech perspective. A lot of money and tech in that area, I've traveled there many times to work with customers and present at conferences. Austin is like a less intense Silicon Valley with better barbecue (and freedom).

But if you want to pitch Silicon Valley VCs for money, you are best off to understand the rules and customs peculiar to the place.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
this is unbelievable

at 30 , the guy is self confident and kick adversity away like a 50 years old CEO.

this is ridiculous because the gap is too big between this guy and most people on this forum

and i don't care whether MJ DeMarco or another millionaire here wants to prove me wrong

because this success story
is irrelevant for most of us .

we can't really relate to this guy

we can relate to a guy worth 1000 000 dollars maybe

but not a 170 000 0000 dollars guy at 30.

this is like when we watch lottery winners stories on TV

this is another world

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
this is unbelievable

at 30 , the guy is self confident and kick adversity away like a 50 years old CEO.

this is ridiculous because the gap is too big between this guy and most people on this forum

and i don't care whether MJ DeMarco or another millionaire here wants to prove me wrong

because this success story
is irrelevant for most of us .

we can't really relate to this guy

we can relate to a guy worth 1000 000 dollars maybe

but not a 170 000 0000 dollars guy at 30.

this is like when we watch lottery winners stories on TV

this is another world

ddd25bdcc9b156390f5fdd78d98aec49528bd4996a0d9f71005a3c06d8d8ab93.jpg

sin_tzu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 20, 2012
Great share.

Two types of people in the world, some that will use this as inspiration and motivation and the other set (like many of the negative comments on BI) say crap like "he got lucky" to rationalize their own lack of vision and ambition.

Sean Haddad

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 8, 2016
Great share.

Two types of people in the world, some that will use this as inspiration and motivation and the other set (like many of the negative comments on BI) say crap like "he got lucky" to rationalize their own lack of vision and ambition.

It's the static mindset versus the growth mindset, illustrated below. It's incredibly frustrating dealing with static thinking people. Just don't do it.

dweck_mindset.png

sin_tzu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 20, 2012
It's the static mindset versus the growth mindset, illustrated below. It's incredibly frustrating dealing with static thinking people. Just don't do it.

dweck_mindset.png
Nice share, I like that. The "Success of others" comparison is exactly what's going on in this situation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.