The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

30 Day Trials? ...for a SaaS

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

dmetts

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Feb 21, 2017
Atlanta
So I have a SaaS company (MCi Methods). I have been going back and forth about the value of 30 day free trials.

I know that a lot of SaaS companies offer the 30 day free trials. I feel that for us it may not be the best thing. Our software is configurable and can be tailored to meet an auto shop's specific needs (we provide software to independent auto shops). We can handle lube shops, detailers, window tinting, conventional repair shops, diesel repair, and heavy equipment, but we need to set things up and training is an issue. We have not really had too many shops take advantage of the 30 day free, some sign up, but never really use the software...frustrates me.

An approach that works pretty well is second month free. This way we get buy in from the customer, they pay for the first month, this includes training and professional services to ensure their system is configured properly.

I am just not sold on giving things away free. I think customer's may fail to see the true value in the product or service. By charging something, you get the customer's attention and filter out tire kickers (people really not serious in a purchase).

Does anyone else have any experience or thoughts on this?

PS...please don't all go sign up to check it our :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
The company I resell for decided against it , in your case where it has custom parts and apparently you're having trouble onboarding (maybe assign someone as the "client success manager" and do a "welcome" call after signup for a walk through?) I don't see the value.

you've said yourself here that not a lot of folks are taking advantage (although of course, I don't know what your marketing looks like so we can't rule out that it wouldn't be effective)

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
So I have a SaaS company (MCi Methods). I have been going back and forth about the value of 30 day free trials.

I know that a lot of SaaS companies offer the 30 day free trials. I feel that for us it may not be the best thing. Our software is configurable and can be tailored to meet an auto shop's specific needs (we provide software to independent auto shops). We can handle lube shops, detailers, window tinting, conventional repair shops, diesel repair, and heavy equipment, but we need to set things up and training is an issue. We have not really had too many shops take advantage of the 30 day free, some sign up, but never really use the software...frustrates me.

An approach that works pretty well is second month free. This way we get buy in from the customer, they pay for the first month, this includes training and professional services to ensure their system is configured properly.

I am just not sold on giving things away free. I think customer's may fail to see the true value in the product or service. By charging something, you get the customer's attention and filter out tire kickers (people really not serious in a purchase).

That could be for many reasons :
1- what you advertised is not what your customer found , so they abandoned it all together
2- It is hard to figure out how to get started
3- No clear goal after registering or difficulty in create the goal

If you believe the customer are not able to see your real value , then like other suggested hire an account manager to follow up with them , or provide a rich tutorials or templates to get the customer up and running .
OR it could be really they is no value in your app for them , best call them and ask them why they left.
Pushing the customer to pay you before seeing the value will always back fire on you and you because you are assuming they cant just see it as you are seeing it.

Edit :
so I checked your website and honestly I couldn't tell what your app really do exactly, so clearly if I register I ll not have idea what to do to get its value . it could be I am not in this industry but I have worked on SaaS app for dealers before and learned some stuff about their operations

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

What about giving everything for free so long as you are logged in?
The idea is, I make an account, all functions are available for me and I can see how the shop looks like, how it functions and so on, so long as I'm logged in as an admin.
Lock key functions behind a pay wall so that normal users wont be able to use the shop until the owner pays you for the subscription.
That way you'll be able to show your clients what the system can do, there will be ana element of sunk cost fallacy for them and you havent given anything away for free.

Rincewind

Don't give up and never hide
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Jun 4, 2016
I read a book some time ago, that could be a good read for your problem: "Hooked" by Nir Eyal (Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products)

In my experience, 30 day trials are useful if your product targets a large market and is quite self-explaining. The Hooked-model explains what has to happen within these 30 days, so the clients will not or even cannot walk away any more.

In your case I don't see the value, since the market is not so easy targeted and there is some customisation to be done in order to get a useful tool. So I would try to offer free 1:1 demos, where you can ask about the specific needs of your prospect. It's a B2B product, so I would setup a sales organisation and create tools to support your sales agents.

P.S. Another good read is "Monetizing Innovation" (Monetizing Innovation: Design Products Around the Price), it answers part of your question, too.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
I like your idea of the 2nd month free--if you feel compelled to offer anything for free (which I don't think is always needed).

The other thing to consider is that requiring payment--where nothing is free--acts as a filter to screen out bargain-hunters who often suck support resources and/or will never pay.

Personally, I'd lean toward a 30-day money-back guarantee of they're not satisfied. That way, customers have to pay to play, but you provide the risk reversal via the guarantee.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
How about 1 week free, if they like it then convert to paid? Just an idea

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.