The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

27 years old, $140K in the bank and but feel broke

SalesGod

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 25, 2021
I know the title may across whiny but nevertheless its how I feel and I'd love to hear from other fastlaners who traded their comfortable high paying slow lane jobs and entered the fastlane.

I read TMF over 10 years ago when I was 17 with dreams of hitting the fastlane but never executed on an any valid business idea to actually make it a reality.

Fast forward 10 years, two college drop outs, one completed finance degree and 3 jobs later and I have arrived at 100k per year software sales gig after a long but worthwhile grind. Im now in a position where I have saved over 100k, co own an apartment where the rental income basically means I live for free, barring no major repairs year to year.

But yet I don't feel financially secure, even though I enjoy my job and I am quite good at it I know I am one email away from having my comp plan adjusted or worse being fired. Who knows how long these bloated salaries will be paid for.

I am at a major crossroads as to how to increase my wealth to the next level and get off the hamster wheel of just making, saving and spending money without building up any equity in something.

Ive seen friends get involved in family businesses, cash out on stock options at startups or lucked out on crypto who have ended up with hundreds of thousands in the bank which is just further confirmation that I need a high salary just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously having a good salary, savings & low expenses gives me a head start but I'd love to hear from other fastlaners who traded their comfortable high paying slow lane jobs and entered the fastlane, did you dive right in and start a business, buy one or was it getting involve in real estate your route?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I know the title may across whiny but nevertheless its how I feel and I'd love to hear from other fastlaners who traded their comfortable high paying slow lane jobs and entered the fastlane.

I read TMF over 10 years ago when I was 17 with dreams of hitting the fastlane but never executed on an any valid business idea to actually make it a reality.

Fast forward 10 years, two college drop outs, one completed finance degree and 3 jobs later and I have arrived at 100k per year software sales gig after a long but worthwhile grind. Im now in a position where I have saved over 100k, co own an apartment where the rental income basically means I live for free, barring no major repairs year to year.

But yet I don't feel financially secure, even though I enjoy my job and I am quite good at it I know I am one email away from having my comp plan adjusted or worse being fired. Who knows how long these bloated salaries will be paid for.

I am at a major crossroads as to how to increase my wealth to the next level and get off the hamster wheel of just making, saving and spending money without building up any equity in something.

Ive seen friends get involved in family businesses, cash out on stock options at startups or lucked out on crypto who have ended up with hundreds of thousands in the bank which is just further confirmation that I need a high salary just isn't going to cut it.

Obviously having a good salary, savings & low expenses gives me a head start but I'd love to hear from other fastlaners who traded their comfortable high paying slow lane jobs and entered the fastlane, did you dive right in and start a business, buy one or was it getting involve in real estate your route?
if you live basically for free (rent of one unit covering your expenses), and you have 140k, why are you so worried?

You are doing great and on the right track. Your 140k, invested in a money system, won't make you a killing, but would be enough to pay your other bills if you had no other source of income.

Honestly, I see no reason for the worry. Keep at it and keep pushing towards the business you want.

Makko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 13, 2021
South Korea
I'm 26, with less than 30k in savings..

• No college degree
  • No friends here
  • A dead-end job
  • Slave labor of 2 years for "mandatory service" ($1~2$ hourly wage)
  • No real-life skills (working on it)
Like the Jedi above said, you got nothing to worry my friend..

GvTmK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 21, 2021
Lucca, Italy
I'm in a similar situation
  • A corporate job that is decently paid but i don't really like
  • 160k in savings
  • No debt
  • Still live with my parents but i contribute to the house expenses
  • Few high quality friends
What i'm doing right now is investing in skills: learning sales, react and russian.
I want to be a nomad entrepreneur and leave the country where i live because taxes are extremely high, i'll come here only on vacation.
An infobusiness would be the best choice especially if done from Dubai or some other fiscal haven (Georgia, Montenegro, Serbia...). Believe it or not taxes are your wrost enemy: they do the difference between being forced in the slowlane for life or being capable of flying towards the fastlane.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
Not that I get these copywritten threads complete with the bolding of text etc, but:

A job and a business are very different. A job removes whole swathes of concerns you didn't even know you might have to worry about, sales and marketing in particular (which as a pure engineer you're absolutely unqualified for from the get go).

You don't get successful businessman money exceeding big tech salary money from just pulling the trigger. You get it with that and a combination of luck and vehemence and having screwed it up before. Hold your job, don't waste it, pile it in the bank.

Just have a fallback plan for when you get inevitably (always treat it as inevitably) canned. Just remember that on your savings you can retire in India for life right now. Puts it in perspective.

D

Deleted70138

$140K can buy you a shitty-to-average apartment in my little city, therefore you are broke. Not as broke as me, but still.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
The thing that most people get wrong is expecting businesses to fill our personal needs. "I want it to pay my bills", or "I want it to fund my killer lifestyle," or any other variation. That's the slow-lane approach, because the premise is that the business exists in the marketplace primarily for the owner.

The quest then becomes, searching for that perfect idea, opportunity, or business to fulfill all those wishes.

MJ flips that equation entirely. Businesses don't exist for owner, they exist to serve the market. In the process, yes, the owner can make money and fulfill lots of dreams, but it is only as a side effect of serving the marketplace.

There are lots of questions around what one should do, and whether to quit jobs, etc. All those questions are looking at it from the wrong approach.

There is no point in quitting a job to simply sit around and twiddle one's thumbs wondering what they should do as a fastlane idea.

Find a need, explore a market, learn a skill. These are all valid, and can be done while holding a job in the off hours. Worst case, take some time off and use that if you need more dedicated time. Get some proof of concept.

When your market gives off enough feedback in the form of revenue, and you hit a time wall, that's when it makes sense to quit.

I wish I took that advice @ 27. Your high paid job is the equivalent of a 7 figure revenue business that's optimized. Milk it for all its worth, because the first few years, at least, are likely to take you backwards rather than forward, financially speaking.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
$140K can buy you a shitty-to-average apartment in my little city, therefore you are broke. Not as broke as me, but still.
OP: don't buy an apartment, especially not in Zarathustra's city

On the other hand, at $1k/mo (more than the global median income per year) you can live for 11 years without working, while living comfortably somewhere in the world.

So supposing you're fired, so long as you haven't bought an apartment in Zarathustra's city, don't worry.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles

Are you still here? That would be great, because you are in a better position than you think you are from my perspective.

@Ronak gave a fantastic response here. Why do you have to quit your job? I'm in software sales too, same age.. I'm curious how much time you have vs me. Would be a great conversation, and we could discuss where to go from here.

One thing I will say - a lot of your post is "I want." Shift it. Which should be easy, your in sales right? What do THEY want? How could you provide value to others?

Stick around. Read some GOLD threads, and think about what you want your life to be like. Read MJ's new book, develop the plan he mentions in it, and begin to execute.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
You're not broke, you're way too comfortable.
The reason you feel broke is because your inner soul feels broke (while having enough money to live comfortably for a very long time). It's the worst place to be in.

I would shake some things up. Move to another city. Quit your job immediately. Put yourself in uncomfortable positions. Start hustling.

BlindSide

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Mar 16, 2017
Los Angeles
The reason you feel broke is because your inner soul feels broke (while having enough money to live comfortably for a very long time). It's the worst place to be in.

I would shake some things up. Move to another city. Quit your job immediately. Put yourself in uncomfortable positions. Start hustling.
Sounds nice and all inspirational, but if he doesn't have any clue on where to start at this point, then your advice on making him quit his job immediately just did nothing for him except make him lose money. Why would you do that when you can still accomplish these goals while making money from the job?

The hustle culture gets a bit too much at times IMO.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If you have gone 10 years without thinking "Man, I really need to start this business idea of mine" then in my opinion you are not a thoroughbred entrepreneur and like to take things a little safer. For me it took like 1 year out of school until I said "F*ck this shit I need to leave". I was broke but it didn't matter. I just couldn't stand waiting.

With 100k I recommend that you keep your job, buy a nice 4 plex with a little fixing up to do, renovate it, rent it out and live in a unit, pull out some equity and get another property. Real estate is the place where cautious people can make money without being real business owners.

The market will go down and back up. Stay liquid enough for when houses go on sale but if you buy properties that will cash flow even in bad markets, you should be good.

This will put you in a fantastic spot in your mid 30's and you will likely not have to work anymore unless you want to. It's the 'fortress of solitude' 'F*ck you money' that everyone talks about. You will not be worth 100 million but you'll have a few and you'll have decent cash flow.

If that isn't good enough then you'll have to go balls deep and scale a business.

I would not F*ck around with crypto unless you have a competitive advantage and know something that the average person doesn't.

MarekvBeek

Every day I'm hustlin'
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 13, 2016
Netherlands
Sounds nice and all inspirational, but if he doesn't have any clue on where to start at this point, then your advice on making him quit his job immediately just did nothing for him except make him lose money. Why would you do that when you can still accomplish these goals while making money from the job?

The hustle culture gets a bit too much at times IMO.
I hear you.

The very problem is that his job AND savings makes him too comfortable. I also don't have a clue where he should start.

The very nature of not having a job and 'losing' money everytime he sees his bank account shrinking, makes the brain fire up and creates new ideas.

I don't mean to just "hustle" your way to the top. I mean that he should first quit his job if he wants to move forward. Probably there are a few ideas he already has in mind, he can pursue that.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017

I agree with this assessment, the OP is too comfortable, ask me how I know?

I'm in the same boat right now, got a great paying job which I don't like and I am burned out on, very very comfortable and very soul crushing a the same time. You might think I am being soft compared to someone in India or some third world country but it's a mental mindset problem, if I was working at McDonalds or something I would quit without a second thought, but I have huge sunk costs on this current venture.

You see it in animals like Raccoons which you can trap by placing something they want in a trap and they will stick their hand and grab the object but when they attempt to take it out, their hand/paw is too big now with the object in it and all they have to do is let go and they will be free but their programming/instinct/mindset won't allow them to let to go, so they hang on until their inevitable death.

SalesGod

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 25, 2021
I'm in software sales too, same age.. I'm curious how much time you have vs me. Would be a great conversation, and we could discuss where to go from here.
I started June 2019 in SAAS sales at a startup and I made 20kusd my first year
June 2020 I moved into biz dev and was making 45k usd
June 2021 is when I started my first real closing role and started making decent coin
Lol June seems to be the month of change, happy to have a convo on anything sales or biz related.

With 100k I recommend that you keep your job, buy a nice 4 plex with a little fixing up to do, renovate it, rent it out and live in a unit, pull out some equity and get another property. Real estate is the place where cautious people can make money without being real business owners.
It is an area I have considered but the rental yields are pretty low in my city maybe 4-6% unless you buy in the real rough areas. Average home prices are very high also so the lowest entry into the market is more like 350-400k USD for a 2 bed apartment. Banks don't factor in current commissions into lending criteria they only take an average over the last two year so I would definitely need some creative financing to get deals done but its still an option. Saving money regardless for when the right deal pops up.

If you have gone 10 years without thinking "Man, I really need to start this business idea of mine" then in my opinion you are not a thoroughbred entrepreneur and like to take things a little safer.

I see where you are coming from but the first business I started was after I read MJs book when I was 17, I wanted to be the go to place for health and fitness content, spent two years building it while in school and college and racked up to between 700-1200 visits a day but my ad and affiliate revenue wasn't enough to scale up the content on the site so I shut it down. Just need a bigger need and better execution this time around.

Phil Yu

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 25, 2020
USA, CA
following. I am in a similar situation. in my late 20 and some money in the bank. working in field that i dont like but choose to take the professional exam first due to family situation.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
Other people:
- have 140k$ in savings at the age of 27
- co-own a house with completely covered costs
- have a job where they earn 100k$ per year
- believe they are good at their job
- have lots of experience in business
- have great business ideas
AND STILL ARE INSECURE WHETHER TO GO INTO FASTLANE!

I:
- have only 8500$ in savings and approximately 80-90k$ in crypto assets at the age of 28
- co-own a three-room apartment where my part of the mortgage is 1400$ per month
- have a job as a software engineer where I only brutto-earn 90k$ (after taxes, I only get 50k$) per year and have only small room for improvement
- despite performing decently at my job I know that my job is too easy
- have zero experience in business (apart from illegally selling flowers picked in a local park at the age of 8 together with a neighbor girl; my advertising was not very effective back then, but hey, at least we managed to get 1 customer and 50ct in profit after one hour)
- do not know what to do so I just do some TikToks about finance (hey, at least I execute)
- have never been interested in entrepreneurship until recently, but rather in STEM and inventing
AND I QUIT MY JOB TO BECOME AN INFLUENCER WHICH IS NOT EVEN CLOSELY FASTLANE!

I do not ask whether what I am doing is right. Lots of people will and do criticize me for my recklessness and what I did is a typical Sidewalker risk. At the moment, others concentrate on talking how they will achieve financial freedom with the Fastlane and buy the things they have always desired. Some people think that I think the same, but actually, I am thinking more about cleaning toilets or doing similar jobs. But what else should I have done instead of quitting my job? Complain about how I work at a boring job and cannot change anything? Change my job and suffer from the same problems after some years again? Learn a new CS-related skill which is still underpaid and becomes boring as well? No, I have to experiment. I have to fail. And I have to learn to enjoy failure.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Learn a new CS-related skill which is still underpaid and becomes boring as well? No, I have to experiment. I have to fail. And I have to learn to enjoy failure.

There is at the moment a huge bubble in the CS/IT fields, a lot of people coming into these fields are assuming they will be able to ride the CS/IT wave to retirement, nothing could be further from the truth.

This sector is going to get hit hard during the next recession as a lot of the work happening here has very marginal returns, the only reason it's even happening is because of the Fed easy money that is being doled out in the form of corporate bonds.

OleksiyRybakov

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 25, 2021
Germany
There is at the moment a huge bubble in the CS/IT fields, a lot of people coming into these fields are assuming they will be able to ride the CS/IT wave to retirement, nothing could be further from the truth.

This sector is going to get hit hard during the next recession as a lot of the work happening here has very marginal returns, the only reason it's even happening is because of the Fed easy money that is being doled out in the form of corporate bonds.
I would not dare to predict the time evolution of markets but I also think that the IT market is commoditized at the moment. Everyone with a STEM degree and even without a degree can program which is the reason why software developers are underpaid.

What I liked about IT the most when going into it was contest programming and algorithmic development. Developing a graph, geometric or max-flow algorithm was really challenging and I was ready to spend 80 hours per day on it. But this skill has little to none market value.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
AND I QUIT MY JOB TO BECOME AN INFLUENCER WHICH IS NOT EVEN CLOSELY FASTLANE!

I do not ask whether what I am doing is right. Lots of people will and do criticize me for my recklessness and what I did is a typical Sidewalker risk. At the moment, others concentrate on talking how they will achieve financial freedom with the Fastlane and buy the things they have always desired. Some people think that I think the same, but actually, I am thinking more about cleaning toilets or doing similar jobs. But what else should I have done instead of quitting my job? Complain about how I work at a boring job and cannot change anything? Change my job and suffer from the same problems after some years again? Learn a new CS-related skill which is still underpaid and becomes boring as well? No, I have to experiment. I have to fail. And I have to learn to enjoy failure.
I did something similar about 2 years ago. I took some action and started copywriting and I was making a decent income to cover all my bills. I got too confident and decided to quit a job, not update my resume and just check out of the job market.

Well, I lost interest, I burned out, had some family tragedies, etc, and just failed. I learned though. Going forward I know what mistakes to not make.

I tend to declare success too soon as well. I have a problem with not sticking things out until the end. But I would have not learned this without my previous failures and taking risks.

I just started taking action again with writing but I am employing other strategies and my efforts are more realistic.

But like you said, you have to take some action even if it's risky and crazy.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

At 27 I was making roughly $75K annually and going through life on autopilot (I still lived with my parents for F*ck's sake).

I decided that my life was going nowhere fast and moved to a different state, and picked up various contract positions (analyst / programmer by trade) but I was clueless with marketing and actual business skills. I had a good amount of savings, but it only lasted so long.

I'd wake up in the middle of the night and stare at the ceiling wondering why my life was still going nowhere - no social life, no income, no major goal. I basically used caffeine to numb the feeling of worthlessness that kept creeping up.

Honestly I feel like I'm a very slow learner which is why I post mostly in the random thread rather than in my Data as a Service thread.

I was staring down bankruptcy so I got a 6 figure job that will teach me the technical skills that I need to build a 7 figure business (I've built and started marketing a SaaS). Beyond that, I've put on a lot of muscle over the last 3 years, I've met a lot of great people who I wouldn't have met had I not made those changes*, and I'm expecting 2022 to be the best year of my life. While I haven't made the progress that I should have, I have zero regrets and bailing on a life that I didn't want was the right call 11 times out of 10.

Jobs aren't necessarily bad, but getting comfortable is bad 100% of the time. If you're learning and making moves in your job, then there is nothing wrong with staying in one. However, if you're getting lazy at one, F*cking quit immediately. You get ONE shot at this life and absolutely no one looks back from their death bed and says "I'm glad that I didn't push myself."

One takeaway: if you get the chance to meet interesting people who can help you move further in life, spend money to do so, even if you don't have it (thank you credit cards!).

*TY @MJ DeMarco for the summit - I met one of my now closet friend there and other people who I talk to regularly.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

At 27 I was making roughly $75K annually and going through life on autopilot (I still lived with my parents for f*ck's sake).

I decided that my life was going nowhere fast and moved to a different state, and picked up various contract positions (analyst / programmer by trade) but I was clueless with marketing and actual business skills. I had a good amount of savings, but it only lasted so long.

I'd wake up in the middle of the night and stare at the ceiling wondering why my life was still going nowhere - no social life, no income, no major goal. I basically used caffeine to numb the feeling of worthlessness that kept creeping up.

Honestly I feel like I'm a very slow learner which is why I post mostly in the random thread rather than in my Data as a Service thread.

I was staring down bankruptcy so I got a 6 figure job that will teach me the technical skills that I need to build a 7 figure business (I've built and started marketing a SaaS). Beyond that, I've put on a lot of muscle over the last 3 years, I've met a lot of great people who I wouldn't have met had I not made those changes*, and I'm expecting 2022 to be the best year of my life. While I haven't made the progress that I should have, I have zero regrets and bailing on a life that I didn't want was the right call 11 times out of 10.

Jobs aren't necessarily bad, but getting comfortable is bad 100% of the time. If you're learning and making moves in your job, then there is nothing wrong with staying in one. However, if you're getting lazy at one, f*cking quit immediately. You get ONE shot at this life and absolutely no one looks back from their death bed and says "I'm glad that I didn't push myself."

One takeaway: if you get the chance to meet interesting people who can help you move further in life, spend money to do so, even if you don't have it (thank you credit cards!).

*TY @MJ DeMarco for the summit - I met one of my now closet friend there and other people who I talk to regularly.
Dude. Thanks for the candidness. Did not know your story and this was very eye opening and good to read

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Dude. Thanks for the candidness. Did not know your story and this was very eye opening and good to read

It isn't much of a story - to paraphrase a quote - 'I know a lot of men better than me who got a lot worse.'

I grew up in a loving home with good parents and lots of advantages and didn't have a reason to really struggle til my late 20s.

Glad that it helped you though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...