The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

26 Year Old Business Owner (Working To Create A Brand), Read The Book!

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Hi, the names Ken, I read MJ book and it has blown all the others out the water, Ive read books and listened to 100s if not thousands of others since my young teens (I come from a family that was involved in drugs and that whole lifestyle so I focused my energy on action in a positive direction, read a lot of Jim Rohn, Brian Tracy, Dale Carnegie, T. Harv Eker, Tony Robins, Les Brown, Jordan Belfort Interviews, Allan Pease, I was very thorough in business, system, attitude and body language). Ive been blessed w/ extreme focus and being a socialite helping others be inspired, I am self taught in graphic design, and usually dedicate 14+ hours a day to working on the brand, reading, researching, designing, Quickbooks, speaking w/ my accountant and business mentors and things of that nature).

I started Barbering at the age of 14 because I felt I needed a african american barber in a town where there wasn't many, so I learned for myself and within a year I was cutting a bunch of kids around the neighborhood, by the time I was 19 I was cutting over 80 people a month and approached by barbershops to cut to build their clientele up (by then I realized I was filling a need and was focused on other business plans, all while cutting FREQUENTLY) At 24 I cut in shops in Queens, NY and in Pittsburgh, CA.

Any ways the barbering (along w/ plenty of studying, reading, and having experience in running a restaurant and helping run operations at my cousins Transportation business in MI) gave me the confidence and business savvy to start a company. I started a clothing line and its been since May. Things have been pretty well, sales have been in the thousands (nothing spectacular, but good being most was word of mouth). Now im working on revamping my site (trendsetterselite.com) to optimize SEO, and sharpen product photos (as well as drop the bigcartel) and I've also worked w/ our production to effectively increase margins w/ new types of printing & equipment!

Where I live their wasn't much of a shopping area so many people took to the clothing very quickly, plus w/ my clientele in the barbering (from young kids to much older adults) people seemed to like what we are bringing to the table.

It would be considered "Casual" or "Street Wear". We market the clothing to appeal to the mindset of people, their image, to stay sharp and be TrendSetters, theres much more to it but I dont care to get into detail for this is just supposed to be and introduction.

Anyways, our next step is to really sharpen our "system" or procedure, from design ideas, all the way to production and sales. Then work even more on marketing and tying everything together even better, with even sharper packaging, add-ons and more. Then scale, getting distributors and keeping our website the hub, and eventually getting a Flagship store.

Things are going well right now, and I even have someone talking to our company about distribution in Europe, We've sold mostly around the US and a few out to Germany, we have to open up shipping to the rest of the world next( I know I know VERY important).

Any questions or tips would be greatly appreciated and this is just my first project into the Fastlane (once I make it into a fully fastlane company) I have plenty of others, All my close friends are business owners doing around 6 digit profits a year or more and they all say im like a prodigy since ive been like this since I was VERY young, Ive had weeks were I was doing over a thousand dollars as a teen from my endeavors, and now Id like to do far more than that with my business (best so far is a $1200+ weekend online sales) and eventually w/ less work once everything is running smoothly!

I know im no prodigy but I do know I absorb knowledge very well, Im open to constructive criticism, I come from a humbling and rough background in Brooklyn, NY so I am very aware of the ups and downs, but I focus on WHY things are up and WHY they are down and effectively figure out the variables I can control to keep them UP! I just have a great outlook even when most people would fold, I know its all about your mindset and I know Id rather depend on myself and providing value and fulfilling a need that I and MY company(s) will benefit from not some other company that will benefit and give me the left over crumbs!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
Hello, TrendSettersInc!

I skimmed your post and it looked interesting. I'd like to read it but your "wall of text" is very difficult to read (it literally gives me a headache). You'll get more readers if you break up your sentences into smaller sections.

Just a little tip, I'm really not trying to criticize.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I agree break your post up into easier to read section. I didn't make it past the first 2 lines and have a feeling others did the same.

See how there is a break. Then when I want to say something different I make a break.

Which is so much easier to read than

So I went to the store and asked the guy there if he was going to want to sell my products
and he said he would but I had to talk to the corporate offices. So I got their phone number and
called them but they said I had to have a physical example of my product sent to them.
So I sent them a copy in the mail. They said they never got it. So I sent another one through UPS
note to self send things with a tracking number from then on so I can be sure the company
got whatever it was I sent to them.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Wow, you started barbering at the age of 14???? That's pretty darn impressive, especially considering how you used it as a launching pad for bigger and better business ventures. It's interesting to see how you saw a need, filled it, and just kept on growing.

Welcome to the forum!

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Welcome!

Congrats on what you have done so far, impressive.

I think you have a great humble approach and will do well.

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Yes, I started actually out of my own need at 14, I was always watching barbers and figured it couldnt be that hard, then I started talking to barbers and even watching videos and buying and borrowing others shears and clippers. Then after getting fairly good I realized (by little cousins and friends asking me to cut and they'd pay me) that others needed it in the area. I just kept focusing on being very good at it and eventually I did become well rounded, to the point that now I still cut hair from time to time. I am very humble because I know what I came from.

When I was young I saw what drugs and ANY bad habit could do to people and I strayed away because I didnt want to be like my parents and others I seen get caught up. I actually am on good terms with my parents and can't blame them, but I know what not to fall for. Personally Id like the clothing to grow so I could put together a mentoring program for youth that brings together people in fields that aren't taught in school and give children the opportunity to be involved in workshops, seminars and be taught by these people to find out ways to get in these non-traditional fields and businesses.

Thanks for the comments fellas its much appreciated! Good to hear from others who are also working towards the same goal as you, financial freedom!

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Welcome!

Congrats on what you have done so far, impressive.

I think you have a great humble approach and will do well.

That's a Frank Kern rule that he swears by and when he breaks it apart he really breaks it apart. I believe that guy uses 2 1/2 inch spaces sometimes. Whew but it works.

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
Very interesting introduction Ken!

Glad to hear that things are going well, and look forward to your updates.

Perhaps you could use Wordpress for your site?

Just find a nice-looking theme and you'll more or less be set.

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Kang, I've been busy with the clothing since the last time ive posted. We've been at tradeshows and have really focused on getting our online store up to par and I took your advice and went to wordpress w a customized theme. Traffic is better (though not as high as I would like) and the site is very easy to use.

We have also branched into shorts and more items, Im pleased with the growth. The only thing now is more sales, it has been a bit slow, the average ticket price has went up but we haven't had a lot of new buyers. mainly repeat buyers, which of course isn't bad either. The main things I know I need to keep focusing on is Branding, SEO, and finding distributors or stores to carry us.

Check out the new site if you get a chance, any comments on what can be improved would be very helpful.

trendsetterselite.com

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Just an update everyone!

I've been still building the brand, but more so working ON the business and trying to get it so I'm not working IN the business.

I've developed some business processes for marketing on Social Networks, Distribution and Administration. I think this will be helpful for when we do experience more growth.

Also I am moving in a slightly different niche, something that is a little more focused and I feel is an under served market. I really feel I have good plans for this next move. We plan to launch in May of 2014 with the new products and marketing, along with a redesigned site w/ all new photography.

I recently helped a buddy launch a site that prints socks and it took off. Generating more than $10k on a good month!! I feel really good about it, except it is a product that may be just a trend product that's hot right now. Got to keep some seed money if it dries up.

My site is not doing those numbers, mainly I feel my traffic needs to be amped up through back links and building brand awareness which I want to work on with this new direction. I'm in no rush but I do want to do this right. I'm a bit lost when it comes to actually getting more traffic for a apparel business.

Do most people use paid traffic, Google Adwords or things of that nature? I don't want banners all over the site when it's ready.

PS

I've been helping kids in a cool way, I've been offered to speak at my old High School twice this past year, in which I presented a very good presentation on branding.

The students voted our presentation as very informative and one of the top ones out of 15 presenters. They were really into it and asking tons of questions.

I read "The Presentation Secrets Of Steve Jobs" to put together a sharp and simple presentation

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...