I found this article on my Facebook timeline yesterday. I read it this morning, really enjoyed both parts - and the links, and wanted to share.
Dude has worked with not one - but two - of the world's greatest billionaires.
http://paulcbrunson.com/2014/01/20-successful-habits-learned-working-two-billionaires-part-1/
Favorite Portion here:
5) Take Responsibility For Your Losses
I was working for Oprah during the time she was taking heat from the media about poor network ratings. I was also working for Enver during the closing of one of his prized divisions. What I witnessed them both do in response was powerful. Opposed to covering the losses up with fancy PR tactics, both stepped to the stage and said in essence “I own it and I’m going to fix it” and dropped the mic. Guess what? They sure did fix things (It’s widely noted Oprah’s network is realizing ratings gold and Enver’s assets have probably doubled since the division closing).
I love this portion because so many people refuse to accept responsibility for who they are, where they are and how they're showing up in the world. You can't focus on negative things at every corner and expect a positive life. You also can't spend your time justifying why you are not where you wish to be. It does not work like this. You have to be who you are, own who you are and constantly improve who you are and your decisions to get better results. Explaining away your success and failure gets you nowhere.
I did this with my marriage. Even though things happened on both sides, it took me a long time after it ended to stop trying to play the victim. I was a saboteur in the demise of our situation too. Did we need to get married? No. But we did for so many reasons that, looking back, should have never been justified. The people we let influence our thoughts, the ideas we allowed in our life, and the actions we took without our own personal independence and maturity...they weren't there to fix things when ish went sour. Needless to say, I don't have anything bad to say about my marriage or my ex... and I'm instantly grated when a kiss-a$$ tries to spin the situation in my favor by assuming "he" messed up.
http://paulcbrunson.com/2014/02/20-successful-habits-learned-working-two-billionaires-part-2/
Favorite Portion here:
6) Connect with People Outside Your Community
Your ability to be of influence within your community is directly related to your ability to make connections outside of your community. The technical phrase for this is called “bridging structural holes,” and is eloquently written about in this research by professor Ronald Burt. Both Oprah and Enver possess tremendous bridging capital. They spend a disproportionate amount of their time gathering information from communities of people outside of their core (different age groups, different social class, different ethnicity, different education levels, different careers, etc) and then they share that information within their community. This is where their ability to influence and have power comes from.
This kind of reminds me of James Altucher's IdeaSex recommendation. Where he says write down a list of ideas everyday to sharpen your creative skills. After a while your ideas will learn to cultivate themselves, making for an improved, faster method of creative thinking.
I've gotten flack for taking one area and merging it with another to form a new message. What's funny is when a dead person reveals these same ideas in his books, people accept and praise it, or they casually avoid the discussion when sharing his ideas. I own it, and I take pains to build on it with other experiences. But the connection and influence seriously comes from being able and willing to collect lots of information from many sources, curate the most insight ones and then distill them into fascinating new messages with simple, actionable, value-packed takeaways.
I'm not searching for a relationship, but I plan on buying Brunson's book just to show support.
Dude has worked with not one - but two - of the world's greatest billionaires.
http://paulcbrunson.com/2014/01/20-successful-habits-learned-working-two-billionaires-part-1/
Favorite Portion here:
5) Take Responsibility For Your Losses
I was working for Oprah during the time she was taking heat from the media about poor network ratings. I was also working for Enver during the closing of one of his prized divisions. What I witnessed them both do in response was powerful. Opposed to covering the losses up with fancy PR tactics, both stepped to the stage and said in essence “I own it and I’m going to fix it” and dropped the mic. Guess what? They sure did fix things (It’s widely noted Oprah’s network is realizing ratings gold and Enver’s assets have probably doubled since the division closing).
I love this portion because so many people refuse to accept responsibility for who they are, where they are and how they're showing up in the world. You can't focus on negative things at every corner and expect a positive life. You also can't spend your time justifying why you are not where you wish to be. It does not work like this. You have to be who you are, own who you are and constantly improve who you are and your decisions to get better results. Explaining away your success and failure gets you nowhere.
I did this with my marriage. Even though things happened on both sides, it took me a long time after it ended to stop trying to play the victim. I was a saboteur in the demise of our situation too. Did we need to get married? No. But we did for so many reasons that, looking back, should have never been justified. The people we let influence our thoughts, the ideas we allowed in our life, and the actions we took without our own personal independence and maturity...they weren't there to fix things when ish went sour. Needless to say, I don't have anything bad to say about my marriage or my ex... and I'm instantly grated when a kiss-a$$ tries to spin the situation in my favor by assuming "he" messed up.
http://paulcbrunson.com/2014/02/20-successful-habits-learned-working-two-billionaires-part-2/
Favorite Portion here:
6) Connect with People Outside Your Community
Your ability to be of influence within your community is directly related to your ability to make connections outside of your community. The technical phrase for this is called “bridging structural holes,” and is eloquently written about in this research by professor Ronald Burt. Both Oprah and Enver possess tremendous bridging capital. They spend a disproportionate amount of their time gathering information from communities of people outside of their core (different age groups, different social class, different ethnicity, different education levels, different careers, etc) and then they share that information within their community. This is where their ability to influence and have power comes from.
This kind of reminds me of James Altucher's IdeaSex recommendation. Where he says write down a list of ideas everyday to sharpen your creative skills. After a while your ideas will learn to cultivate themselves, making for an improved, faster method of creative thinking.
I've gotten flack for taking one area and merging it with another to form a new message. What's funny is when a dead person reveals these same ideas in his books, people accept and praise it, or they casually avoid the discussion when sharing his ideas. I own it, and I take pains to build on it with other experiences. But the connection and influence seriously comes from being able and willing to collect lots of information from many sources, curate the most insight ones and then distill them into fascinating new messages with simple, actionable, value-packed takeaways.
I'm not searching for a relationship, but I plan on buying Brunson's book just to show support.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
