The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$20,000 a month (gross)

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
what kind of business can net $20,000/month ?
what kind of initial start up would we be looking at ?

is there anyway that an INTERNET business can possibly do 20k ? even 12-15k ?
by selling a PRODUCT.. not a service...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
This is not meant in a rude way, but if you haven't taken a look at MJ's post here, I would start there.

I really don't think anyone here will tell you that business X CAN'T make a certain goal money-wise. The ideal behind taking an idea into the fastlane is to make it grow exponentially...no limits. I'm still new here myself, and I'm now trying to think of more than just what business would be good...how do I make it better/faster/more efficient?

-John

6.0_bull

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Nov 27, 2007
Steve...As much as you should read MJ,s post and fully understand those principles for business success I completely agree that you need mini goals to achieve bigger goals etc ...

So for Steve to set a goal for himself that he needs to make $20,000 a month, that is excellent and that will only drive your creative mind and thoughts on how to approach the fast-lane to success and get those creative juices flowing so you do develop a business model that will bring you $20k /month or more hopefully..

I think thats a great start to goal setting....so you do find that business X idea ...

GettingThere

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 3, 2007
Central Florida
I agree completely with goal setting. What I gathered from the post, though, was that the desired response would be in the form of "you can do this, and expect to earn this...". Basically, chasing the money rather than pursuing an idea and trying to build a revenue generation plan upon that idea.

If I misread the intent, my mistake.

- John

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
My previous S biz did about 15-20K/mo on average-- but this was GROSS, before PRE-TAX expenses (you need to learn about those-- Diane Kennedy's books are great for this).

Our current biz (running a B&B) throws off about $20K/mo net before debt service-- but mortgages are a LOT! We're building up equity in the business so when it sells, we'll retire (in 3 more years).

My big question to you is: Why $20K/mo net? Do you have big medical bills? Drug habits? ;)

The bigger question for me would be: What can I develop and SELL a few years later for millions of dollars more than I paid for it?

THAT is fastlane thinking.

Developing a biz that throws off 10K or 20K a month is great-- but it's still a J.O.B.

-Russ H.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
$20K/month? Heck yeah - shoot for $20K/week.

Check out my website www.TaxLoopholes.com. My formula is simple - create an opt-in list (not sure that's as important these days), post useful, relatable content daily (blog format), create products that people want and need, get a way for your clients to relate to you and build rapport, consistently over-deliver on promises, ask for testimonials and referrals.... that's about it.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Bumping this to hear SteveK's update.

What happened with this? I'd love to see someone take on this challenge and post their progress.

Steve K

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Jan 9, 2008
new york city
no progress yet

im trying to figure out what i can sell that business' would want.
i think i came up with something that restaruants would be interested in..

i also think that debt consolidation might be something good for people now

im trying to be in the mind set of "what can i offer people"

Adam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
Like Diana said, shoot higher.

If you're going to go through the effort of starting your own biz (your own biz = liability, long hours, high expenses, etc), you should be upset when you ONLY make $20k, not happy when you do!:)

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
Well, I can't guarantee anything like 20k a month, but over the summer I had a website that I set up in about an hour that made me about 4k a month. It would've been more, but I didn't have much money to start advertising with PPC engines with. It would still be up and making me money, if Google hadn't banned me for breaking their terms of use agreement... which I didn't do... but, I can't convince them of that :(
Oh well, next time I won't depend on them :)

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
OOPS-- just noticed that you said "gross" not net.

For some weird reason, I thought you were asking for net (and that's what my answer above was oriented towards).

-Russ H.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Thousands of ways to make 20k a month. If anyone wants to pay me 20k a month to post on Fastlane's, I will consider your offer. :smash:

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Well, I can't guarantee anything like 20k a month, but over the summer I had a website that I set up in about an hour that made me about 4k a month. It would've been more, but I didn't have much money to start advertising with PPC engines with. It would still be up and making me money, if Google hadn't banned me for breaking their terms of use agreement... which I didn't do... but, I can't convince them of that :(
Oh well, next time I won't depend on them :)

They banned your domain from the index or your adsense account? If the last is the case why don't you go with yahoo adv?

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
$20k a month from running a B&B? Wow Russ... I always thought of B&B's as sleepy little businesses you run when you're retired and have your house paid off to generate a little extra money to spend on geritol and decorations for your walker... haha I never heard of one so profitable! Good for you!

- Hakrjak:smxG:

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
They banned your domain from the index or your adsense account? If the last is the case why don't you go with yahoo adv?

Why not just patner with someone who has a valid adsense account, like me?

haha :)

- Hakrjak

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
Oh, no, my adsense still works. They suspended my adwords account, lol. I plan on opening another one eventually, but I need to get a new credit/debit card first; and when you're 17, it's somewhat challenging :)

Jorge

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Oct 5, 2007
Mendoza, Argentina
Oh, Then its a bit more difficult BUT for 4k passive a month I would find someone with one right away!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hakrjak said:
Wow Russ... I always thought of B&B's as sleepy little businesses you run when you're retired and have your house paid off to generate a little extra money to spend on geritol and decorations for your walker... haha I never heard of one so profitable!

Yeah, Napa Valley and all that good stuff. :)

Last year's gross was a tad over $750K (avg $62,000+/mo).

And that was with only 9 rooms.

We just opened another 3 rooms.

And 3 more are coming on line in the next few months.

And another 12 rooms will (hopefully) come on line in the next 12 months (27 rooms total).

You can do the math. It's not bazillions, but it ain't chickenfeed, 'neither. ;)

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
hakrjak said:
Is there a fastlane discount for old buds? haha :)

Absolutely! You get to stay for any 30 days you want in the next year, provided you make ONLY ONE of our monthly mortgage payments (incl impounds for prop taxes).

Currently around, oh, $31,000 a month.

Act soon, though-- this will go up as soon as we get the construction loans! :)

-Russ H.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.