The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

2 founders are not always better than 1

andrewsyc

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 14, 2017
Iowa
It's generally the idea around here (at least from what I read) that being a solo entreprenuer is much much better than having a cofounder (excluding just investors) as
a person that is truly committed will just be able to move faster.

There are a few threads on here warning of the unfavorable outcomes of a multi partnered business.

Came across this and wanted to post it for everyone for confirmation bias :)

I know Y-Combinator and other sources argue for two cofounders, this reputable source has a contrary view:

From the article:

“companies started by solo founders survive longer than those started by teams.”

“When such disputes result in significant distractions from organizational development it becomes far from clear that a team is preferable to a solo founder.”

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
I would say it depends on many factors.
Sometimes solo is better. Sometimes partnership is better.

Some people would have never reached millions of revenue without their partners, on the other hand many solo entrepreneurs would have departed each other and closed the business if they had partners.

It all depends tbh.

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019
It's generally the idea around here (at least from what I read) that being a solo entreprenuer is much much better than having a cofounder (excluding just investors) as

There are a few threads on here warning of the unfavorable outcomes of a multi partnered business.

I know Y-Combinator and other sources argue for two cofounders, this reputable source has a contrary view:

From the article:

“companies started by solo founders survive longer than those started by teams.”

“When such disputes result in significant distractions from organizational development it becomes far from clear that a team is preferable to a solo founder.”

View attachment 27248
solo is best , i have tons of experience with trying to parter up. the downside was i always had to work harder while the other partner was too lazy or too dumb for business... on the other hand its better to partner with someone who has a proven solo success track record in business and it is a mistake to go into business with someone who is new to business. Even if the partner has experience, most partners hate each others habbits which leads to conflict, jelousy and hate .

Id rather stay solo coz there is more money for me and i can depend only on my self to progress

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA

From the article:

View attachment 27248
I've had a business partner/cofounder for almost 10 years. Definitely makes some things a bit tougher (paying 2 founders vs 1, differences of opinions, etc) but there are some benefits as well (2 minds, someone to bounce ideas off, additional experience/skills, etc).

Interesting study though...

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Y-combinator argues for startups aiming to get VC investment to have two cofounders. How many people here do you think want VC investment?

That is like comparing a tractor to Lamborghini, to try and decide which is the best motor vehicle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.