The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

19 Years old: Considering dropping out. Must read for young people

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
Uh why don't you read the rest of my post. I said there's a vision. By direction I meant direction given to you.

If you look at context, correcting the other members post shifting from deadlines to direction, my post is crystal clear. You should read.

h3A77D09F

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Make completing college your number one task right now.
You have plenty of time to catchup on those things you think you are missing out on. You are rushing and do not know you have more time than you know. Consider you have about another 50 years minimum on this earth. Plan with that time in mind. Right now your plan is based on a short time frame. Stick with college. You won't thank me now, but I can almost guarantee that 10 years from now you will be thanking me.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
You build a $1500/month passive income in 3-4 months?
Keep up on that.
Just DON'T stop that path... if you can do this EVERY 3-4 months... 4500-6000/month within a YEAR.
54K-72K/year passive income

216K-288K/year passive income in the same 4 years it would take to finish college.
If you're telling the truth about self-publishing just keep doing that and you're set.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
For me, the rewards for self-education and entrepreneurial startups far outweigh the rewards of college education and professional jobs. And for the risks, I am entirely willing to risk a good job and income for free time. You can never get time back.

Exactly. And by attending college, you lose 4 prime years of time along with thousands of dollars of debt. Most colleges these days make you memorize definitions that you forget a week after the exam. And I'm at one of the top ranked business colleges in the country by the way.

Funny related story; I met the only billionaire in my state the other day. I told him what school I go to and he goes; "That's a good business school. I didn't go to college." Then he pulled off in his Rolls Royce. :smx4:

wealthyliving

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 15, 2013
Exactly. And by attending college, you lose 4 prime years of time along with thousands of dollars of debt. Most colleges these days make you memorize definitions that you forget a week after the exam. And I'm at one of the top ranked business colleges in the country by the way.

Funny related story; I met the only billionaire in my state the other day. I told him what school I go to and he goes; "That's a good business school. I didn't go to college." Then he pulled off in his Rolls Royce.

Haha! Sounds like an MJ DeMarco in the making... xD

I truly agree with you. You will lose 4 years in college and become thousands of dollars in debt if you don't plan on using your degree for something. But that means, in order to make dropping out of college justifiable in terms of wasting time, you need to make your time out of college even more productive than if you were in college. In other words, to justify the act of dropping out of college, you have to do more extraordinary things than if you were in college.

Hope this makes sense. xP

-Grace

wealthyliving

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 15, 2013
Also, dropping out of college does not mean you're quitting or failing at life. It could simply mean taking a different route towards success. Dropping out of college could mean self-education for another person. When you're not in an institution that determines what you are going to learn and when you are going to learn it, it frees up a whole bunch of time for you to determine what you really want to learn and how you want to learn it.

I am against formal education because of the strict guidelines brought upon by institutions that tell you exactly what to learn. Sure, you can pick what major and what industry you want to go into, but once you pick that major or industry, the rest of the core classes are already predetermined for you. You must take those classes in order to get your degree.

And getting a degree nowadays doesn't even guarantee getting you a job. Nowadays, an undergrad degree is just a key to open the door. It doesn't mean you're automatically inside the world of corporate professionalism. Just like entrepreneurship, finishing college and getting a degree is a RISK. There is no guarantee that you will get a good, high-paying, enjoyable job.

Capital

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Apr 16, 2013
Funny related story; I met the only billionaire in my state the other day. I told him what school I go to and he goes; "That's a good business school. I didn't go to college." Then he pulled off in his Rolls Royce. :smx4:
Jonathan Nelson? He's supposedly the only billionaire in RI. He went to Brown and later got an MBA from Harvard...

Laverdure

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
I'm 22 years old and I left college at 20 also and all I can say it'S the best move I ever did ...

I had a part time job of 25 hours a week while working on my "new business" and after a tough year I started making money online and then
1 year later I made over 7 figures revenu in my first year alone...

The only tips I can give you ...

stop doubting yourself if you really know what you want

don't pressure yourself with the fact that you need to be rich at 26 otherwise you might take some action oriented on that and that might not be the good one.

find a mentor in the kind of business you are willing to start. (that's really important, you will become successful a lot faster)

work your a$$ off, no more parties no more chilling, get to work and when you are tired or bored keep working until you get where you want to be.

Don't be a pussy and take massive action.

Stop thinking what if...

Use the 30/30/30 rules which is ... read 30 minutes a day about business book, watch 30 minutes a day of video about mindset - business and listen to audio to improve your mindset for 30 minutes a day.

when times will be hard take a step back and laugh at it and tell yourself you are not a baby and you are going to beat the shit out of it.

there you go ... now tell your parents you are done with school it's the first real step :)

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I had a part time job of 25 hours a week while working on my "new business" and after a tough year I started making money online and then

Exactly my situation. I just started making money online.

Use the 30/30/30 rules which is ... read 30 minutes a day about business book, watch 30 minutes a day of video about mindset - business and listen to audio to improve your mindset for 30 minutes a day.

Awesome. I usually start my days off with reading and an audio book, got to incorporate the mindset in there as well.

Thank you for the motivation and great insight.

wealthyliving

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 15, 2013

Wow! May I ask what kind of business you started?

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Well a lot of people have weighed in on the subject and I'll be happy to throw my two cents in, keep the opinions coming and you'll have a whole dollar soon!

Let me preface my post with this. If you see other posts I've made you'll see where I devalue getting a college degree so please don't think I'm entirely pro-college. Degrees are worthless, experience is priceless.

I did the college thing, 4 years undergrad, MBA, and decided to skip law school because of the lack of jobs first and foremost, while also realizing it would be a waste of time if I wanted to become truly wealthy.

I wasted a lot of time in college and now wish I had put that free time to use. Yes working three jobs and attending classes left little free time but I could have used it much more productively than I did.

However, running my own business now I could pay for 3 years of law school with no problem (doesn't mean I will ;) ). I couldn't have reached this point without important things I learned in college however.

I majored in Trust and Wealth Management with a pre-law focus. Here are some things I learned throughout college although I didn't realize it until later.

1) There is no substitute (except door to door sales) for the social interaction and advancements made socially and personality. To be fastlane you need to become socially adept, you'll have to learn it the hard way or the fun way: college.

2) My degree (just a piece of paper imo) allowed me to meet very intelligent people through networking, very intelligent business people that is. I would often go to businesses I admired and get an interview with the owner to ask him the burning questions my professors often couldn't answer. Under the guise it was for my class. These introductions were often made for me through, you guessed it, the same professors. (Some professors have been very successful and simply desire to teach where as others are unable to be successful and only wish to propagate the education system)

3) Looking back at my writing throughout the years the advancement in my literary and speaking skills is simply amazing. I wouldn't have advanced so far without going through the rigorous classes (at least not in such a short time). Because in the real world unless you have a mentor no one is going to tell you when something you wrote or a presentation you made sucked, you'll just lose money and their respect.

4) I employee people up to 25 years older than myself, they accept direction from me because of the nice piece of paper on my wall. I really don't see it as a big deal to have the degree, anyone can do it if they really want to, but slow-laners (your employees) think very highly of it and it can come in handy with them or when networking with other business people.

5) Without my MBA I would have been lost when creating a business plan to present to an investor to gain funds I needed for a separate branch of my business. (Read "Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude" there's a whole chapter on OPM: Other People's Money)

Just my perspective, but I'll tell you this, without the knowledge and experience I gained in college I wouldn't be where I am today.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Very insightful post.

All these points confirm the beliefs I've had about formal education since High School. You get a degree to show you're great at being an employee.. What a boring life.

Operation_OPM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 16, 2008
Hyper Hustle Zone, Quadrant I-4
Dropout with 500-1000 customers!
Dropout with a solid market identified and catered to!
Dropout with control over a profitable venture!
Dropout with NO debt and excess money in the bank!

Do not dropout and THEN do the awesome stuff!
Get your shit together right now...BEFORE you dropout!
Accelerate the process and move on, do not get stuck in slowlane collegiate methods, hit the gas and graduate in less than 12 months with a BA/BS if its so easy!!

PS. Never let individuals with college degree's tell you not to go to college, I see that crap all the time and its horrendously disingenuous.

Iwanttoberich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jun 19, 2013
Well a lot of people have weighed in on the subject and I'll be happy to throw my two cents in, keep the opinions coming and you'll have a whole dollar soon!

Let me preface my post with this. If you see other posts I've made you'll see where I devalue getting a college degree so please don't think I'm entirely pro-college. Degrees are worthless, experience is priceless.

I did the college thing, 4 years undergrad, MBA, and decided to skip law school because of the lack of jobs first and foremost, while also realizing it would be a waste of time if I wanted to become truly wealthy.

I wasted a lot of time in college and now wish I had put that free time to use. Yes working three jobs and attending classes left little free time but I could have used it much more productively than I did.

However, running my own business now I could pay for 3 years of law school with no problem (doesn't mean I will ;) ). I couldn't have reached this point without important things I learned in college however.

I majored in Trust and Wealth Management with a pre-law focus. Here are some things I learned throughout college although I didn't realize it until later.

1) There is no substitute (except door to door sales) for the social interaction and advancements made socially and personality. To be fastlane you need to become socially adept, you'll have to learn it the hard way or the fun way: college.

2) My degree (just a piece of paper imo) allowed me to meet very intelligent people through networking, very intelligent business people that is. I would often go to businesses I admired and get an interview with the owner to ask him the burning questions my professors often couldn't answer. Under the guise it was for my class. These introductions were often made for me through, you guessed it, the same professors. (Some professors have been very successful and simply desire to teach where as others are unable to be successful and only wish to propagate the education system)

3) Looking back at my writing throughout the years the advancement in my literary and speaking skills is simply amazing. I wouldn't have advanced so far without going through the rigorous classes (at least not in such a short time). Because in the real world unless you have a mentor no one is going to tell you when something you wrote or a presentation you made sucked, you'll just lose money and their respect.

4) I employee people up to 25 years older than myself, they accept direction from me because of the nice piece of paper on my wall. I really don't see it as a big deal to have the degree, anyone can do it if they really want to, but slow-laners (your employees) think very highly of it and it can come in handy with them or when networking with other business people.

5) Without my MBA I would have been lost when creating a business plan to present to an investor to gain funds I needed for a separate branch of my business. (Read "Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude" there's a whole chapter on OPM: Other People's Money)

Just my perspective, but I'll tell you this, without the knowledge and experience I gained in college I wouldn't be where I am today.

I totally agree with what you'd said. I myself am almost done with school. Will soon head for an MBA and this is something I really needed.
Thank you! :)

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
I dropped out of high school when I was 16 and it was the smartest decision I ever made.

I didn't know exactly what I wanted to do at that point in my life but I knew that I was going to spend my life selling things. That's all I loved in the business world. I also knew that in sales results are the only thing that matter. Degrees don't mean anything if you can prove you have a solid track record of being a million dollar producer year in and year out.

I took a few classes back in the early 2000's just because I was interested or needed to know the topic they were teaching. Things like creative writing, public speaking, etc. now with ITunesU, Mixergy, mentors, and places like this, I'd never do that now.

I do wish I experienced corporate America for at least a few months though. I had a few small jobs when I was younger but most were very small businesses.

One last thing- if people in your company are taking direction from you because of a paper on your wall then Id seriously worry about the results you are producing. If you are doing big things they should be listening to you because of that. I listen to people like MJ, Dan Kennedy, Andrew Warner and others because of the results they produce not the papers on their wall.

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Hey,

I just came across your post and I can relate to this completely . I am a young guy myself and I found myself in the same predicament. I see many of my old classmates attending collage with no idea what they even want in life. I guess it has kinda become the status quo. I truly feel bad for the people that follow the pack like this. They are going to be stuck with loads of debt just to have the privilege of building someone else's dream.

I took some collage courses at a local community collage called CCRI with thoughts of getting a degree as a back-up. But I did not learn anything that I could not have taught myself online in 1/4 the time. It takes 4 years to get a degree and most classes drag on forever. Time is the most important thing we have. I would much rather use that time to build a start-up and learn through self education and experience while making income for my efforts and progress! The only down-side to this method is society is still stuck on comparing a collage degree to intelligence. You will really have to prove yourself but that's the beauty of it all. I believe in due time a collage degree will not be worth much. Everyone is attending and the student loan bubble can only get so big before people start to wake-up.

However there is huge benefit to collage that so many people overlook completely, and that's networking. Attending collage can put you around many like minded individuals. Many successful business's were started in dorm rooms. But there are still many other ways to network and find like minded people. That's why we are here right lol !

Your into E-books huh? That's a market I always wanted to get into. I love the idea of passive income. Unfortunately im not a very good writer as you can probably tell lol. I have been swing trade stocks and its been pretty profitable. But im really looking to create another source of income.

Hope to hear back from you soon man,

Best regards,
C.L

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Class begins next week and I'm enrolled this semester *sighs*.

I just can't stand the college crowd. They're mostly focused on partying and getting laid on the weekends. I've always sought out the company of people outside of my campus.. As a matter of fact, I haven't had much of a social life since I've been here so it fills me with PLENTY of time to run a business efficiently. With classes coming up, I'm going to find this a bit more challenging but will overcome it as I always do.

College is not a productive environment for me, I have never felt driven in formal education: outside of school has taught me more than I have ever learned in a classroom. I have read countless books and spent probably a million hours absorbing whatever information I can.

My dream is to go to a university overseas in my own time when I'm established and get a degree there. The education system in this country sucks anyway. Why waste time and resources that could be used for something more conducive?

I might not show up next week :smxF:

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
I dropped out of high school when I was 16 and it was the smartest decision I ever made.

What line of work did you go into? sales?

Hope to hear back from you soon man,

Just PM'ed you man.

Very insightful post.

Thanks, just trying to help everyone out that is my age. Just think, this is your life in the best case Slowlane scenario! This is not the usual. If you want to retire at 50, college is 100% the right thing to do. But in my case, it's not. I know all these adults say stay in college, but I have learned to only take opinions from people I would trade places with.

Out of all the adults I have talked to, their best reason why college is worth it is because it is a "Safety net". But if you have the ultimate drive to become an entrepreneur, accumulating huge amounts of debt is an expensive safety net that chains you to debt servitude.

Entrepreneurship is a risk.
We all know that. I've read stories of various young Fastlane entrepreneurs (27 and below), and all of them have taken time off from university or dropped out to pursue their goals, and succeeded. I understand they are the minority, but again risk is always involved.

I might not show up next week

Here is my advice: I am attending this fall, and taking a leave of absence for the spring semester. That way, I have a semester and the entire summer to work on my online business. If I am still doing well, or gain any further traction, I am not going back. I suggest this for anyone contemplating going to school or not.

If it fails, I go back the next fall with all of my scholarships intact. Calculated risk.

osca554

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 10, 2013
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Remember College is a place to learn not to get rich. It has always been this way. Skip College if you don't plan to learn anything while being there.

I plan to attend College someday after i am rich.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah there's no doubt that I do want to finish college, but I want to finish college on MY time and start a business. I don't want to be one of those college students who graduate and find themselves living back at home. I have a 1 bedroom apartment and have my own space that I could use as my personal office, I just don't see how college can benefit me right now. I've known college wasn't for me from the first day I ever stepped foot on a campus.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.