The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 year old girl makes $70K/month online.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Re: dropping out

I think you missed my point. It's not about getting a diploma or GED. Those are just piece of paper for others to judge you on. There's certain skills one develops at that age that are important in life. More so than money I think. Like learning to make friends, how to communicate and interact with others. This is something you can't learn sitting in a basement on the internet all day while your friends are all at school in a normal social environment. Lots of home schooled kids suffer form this. Sure they can do college level math while they are still in 9th grade. But they have ZERO friends. They don't know how to communicare or interact with others cause they never learned how.

There's a chance this girl could wind up with $50MM, but have no friends because she does not know how to communicate and interact with others.

Remember the Unabomber? ULTRA smart guy. ZERO social skills.

I think people either have or do not have social skills by the time they are in (not graduated from) high school. I can think of lots of kids in high school with no social skills (think Colombine). I found high school to be just another hoop to jump through. I would have dropped out in a second if I was making the kinda cash she does!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

yahshar

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 21, 2007
Long Beach, CA

I think people either have or do not have social skills by the time they are in (not graduated from) high school. I can think of lots of kids in high school with no social skills (think Colombine). I found high school to be just another hoop to jump through. I would have dropped out in a second if I was making the kinda cash she does!

I agree.
The irony is that apart from the parents, school had a part to play in the dispositions of the Colombine shooters.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I'm still in high school and although I feel like I'd be perfectly fine with dropping out, I could never bring myself to do it. First of all, my parents would never stand for it. Secondly, I enjoy being with my friends and I don't find the work load to be bad at all; especially the amount that I do :). Lastly, I can't refuse the chance to play baseball which will probably carry me through college too.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
With every post, you convince me how bright you are, Yankees. I think it's great that you want to stay in school - although it may not be for everyone, it seems like you want it for the right reasons (with a little help from your parents).

I love my life in the present. There are things I have today, which I would not likely give up, if given the chance to go back for one more year of college. That said, the college years were, without a doubt, some of the best of my life. There are days....particularly at this time of year (fall/football season) when it just feels like I should be getting in the car to drive back to Penn State. haha My friends and I joke about it all the time. It is a time in your life when you are free of most responsibilities (I had a job.. but no mortgage(s), no one depending on me). You are on your own for the first time, as an adult, figuring out what you want your life to be about - all the while surrounded by your peers, who are attempting to do the same. It is priceless. Enjoy every minute!!

Ok, so I am way off topic now. My apologies. The story is a great one - thanks for posting. I sent it to all my girls :)

venom

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 6, 2007
You guys didnt read the whole thing.
She either has or is getting her college degree already online.
It doesnt sound like she has to worry about friends. It does say that she visits the high school.
Its interesting how people like to find parts to find fault with.
Many disfunctional people go to high school. A good example would be the person that just shot up the college

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
I'm still in high school and although I feel like I'd be perfectly fine with dropping out, I could never bring myself to do it. First of all, my parents would never stand for it. Secondly, I enjoy being with my friends and I don't find the work load to be bad at all; especially the amount that I do :). Lastly, I can't refuse the chance to play baseball which will probably carry me through college too.

Other than the baseball part (I don't do sports... I could probably beat up the sports teams at my school, but I'm too nice ;) lol) I completely agree with ya! Although, luckily, I have gotten out of High School somewhat, as I'm doing PSO (Post Secondary Option) which, for those who don't know, just means I'm taking some college classes, and the state has to pay for them, 100% :)

It's not that school is bad, I honestly love this stuff... it's just that, a lot of the teachers don't teach for the sake of our knowledge, they teach us what we'll need to know to pass some stupid test that someone deemed necessary for us to know the things on so that we can be normal human beings. Or something like that. So, we learn math, but without any useful examples, or things we might encounter in life. We learn vocabulary words, instead of theories, and ways of thinking. We memorize Shakespeare.... why? Because there's a test on it Friday. Better get an A!

That's entirely why I am getting into investing and business, and have been learning what I can about them, and doing what I can with them, since I was 14. I'm not gonna be some really smart guy sitting in a cubicle, waiting for my next orders from the guy who may not know the complicated thoughts and theories I do, but just knows how to use money, and law to his advantage. I'm going to be that guy, and know all of those things, because I want to! I love knowledge, and learning. That's why I'm doing my best to shape my life in such a way that I can continue to learn for the rest of my life, when I want, and where I want. I don't care if I get a degree in Science, maybe I just want to know how to make a flamethrower. I don't care if I get a degree in philosophy, I just want to confuse people. I want the knowledge, not to pass the test.

And, one day, soon enough, I'll be at that point in my life where I can just sit back, relax, and continue learning; without anything hindering my path.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
With every post, you convince me how bright you are, Yankees. I think it's great that you want to stay in school - although it may not be for everyone, it seems like you want it for the right reasons (with a little help from your parents).

I love my life in the present. There are things I have today, which I would not likely give up, if given the chance to go back for one more year of college. That said, the college years were, without a doubt, some of the best of my life. There are days....particularly at this time of year (fall/football season) when it just feels like I should be getting in the car to drive back to Penn State. haha My friends and I joke about it all the time. It is a time in your life when you are free of most responsibilities (I had a job.. but no mortgage(s), no one depending on me). You are on your own for the first time, as an adult, figuring out what you want your life to be about - all the while surrounded by your peers, who are attempting to do the same. It is priceless. Enjoy every minute!!

Ok, so I am way off topic now. My apologies. The story is a great one - thanks for posting. I sent it to all my girls :)
Thanks! And you make college seem like it's gonna be a hell of a time! :)

Other than the baseball part (I don't do sports... I could probably beat up the sports teams at my school, but I'm too nice ;) lol) I completely agree with ya! Although, luckily, I have gotten out of High School somewhat, as I'm doing PSO (Post Secondary Option) which, for those who don't know, just means I'm taking some college classes, and the state has to pay for them, 100% :)

It's not that school is bad, I honestly love this stuff... it's just that, a lot of the teachers don't teach for the sake of our knowledge, they teach us what we'll need to know to pass some stupid test that someone deemed necessary for us to know the things on so that we can be normal human beings. Or something like that. So, we learn math, but without any useful examples, or things we might encounter in life. We learn vocabulary words, instead of theories, and ways of thinking. We memorize Shakespeare.... why? Because there's a test on it Friday. Better get an A!

That's entirely why I am getting into investing and business, and have been learning what I can about them, and doing what I can with them, since I was 14. I'm not gonna be some really smart guy sitting in a cubicle, waiting for my next orders from the guy who may not know the complicated thoughts and theories I do, but just knows how to use money, and law to his advantage. I'm going to be that guy, and know all of those things, because I want to! I love knowledge, and learning. That's why I'm doing my best to shape my life in such a way that I can continue to learn for the rest of my life, when I want, and where I want. I don't care if I get a degree in Science, maybe I just want to know how to make a flamethrower. I don't care if I get a degree in philosophy, I just want to confuse people. I want the knowledge, not to pass the test.

And, one day, soon enough, I'll be at that point in my life where I can just sit back, relax, and continue learning; without anything hindering my path.
I agree with you on most points. It helps to have the knowledge they teach in school. For instance, the simple rules of writing and grammar that have been taught to us since 3rd grade have really come in handy. Personally, I feel like most people take me more seriously because I'm able to write like a well-educated, reputable college graduate. I could probably pass for one if it didn't say "16" next to my age in my profile! Also, as far as school goes, I've been fortunate enough to go to a high school with a pretty established business department. In some of the businesses classes I've taken, I've learned real, useful information such as how to write balance sheets, income statements, and business plans. Obviously, this is stuff that I could have just learned on my own, but at least I was making good use of my time in school on those days!

Just as in every other argument, there are two sides to the "education" argument. Being with friends is enough to convince me to stay in school for another few years. It hasn't been too bad so far. In fact, one of my teachers is the reason why I'm on this site in the first place; he recommended I read RDPD. I took that advice and it's been some of the best I've ever gotten in my life.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
That is a good point, grammar, and writing are very useful tools that we have. Though, I would say that I really never paid attention, nor enjoyed any of my english classes; I learned most of what I know is correct through all the reading I've done.

And, as far as the two sides to the education argument... well, that's true. But, my sister is actually going to become a middle school teacher (she just has to finish her student teaching, and probably pass a test, and she's done with college for it), and I know the education side of the argument... honestly, it's pretty bad. I won't say I completely understand it, but if you look at how the education system is run, it's obvious that it is underfunded by the government, and rather outdated, to say the least. Besides that, there's no incentive for any teacher to actually teach the students to do well in life, only on the tests. (That actually determines whether they fire or keep a teacher, to an extent. Far more now than before, as many schools are running low on funds, at least around where I live.)

If the schooling system was taken over by businesses; perhaps the government just assigned a certain amount of money to a student, and they could go to any school, giving that school the money for the child... then it would give the schools a reason to be better than any other school, and would probably solve a ton of these problems I've mentioned.

But who listens to what a 16 year old has to say? He's just some other teenager, probably a jerk, probably going to get into a car accident, probably never going to amount to anything. HAH! I can't wait 'til someone asks me if Daddy bought me my lambo when I have one, like MJ. That'll be fun.

But, I'm just ranting now. If someone starts an education thread, I'll throw some more in there, but for now, I'm done here :) What ever happened to that chick that was making $70k/month anyway? Lol.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Lol, yeah...off-topic enough. Sorry I brought that too far. But, of course, I understand where you're coming from. I also know just what you mean by, "who listens to what a 16 year old has to say?". Luckily, this forums a bit different. People actually listen and are willing to teach; it's great.

TNT

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 31, 2007
Great story...I am going to have my 14 yr old read it.. Maybe it will give him some motivation to do something...Thanks for the post.

Rufus Quail

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 30, 2008

There's certain skills one develops at that age that are important in life. More so than money I think. Like learning to make friends, how to communicate and interact with others.

By age 17, a person has probably gained about 90% of the benefit of the high school experience. These concerns would apply if she was 13. Youngsters of this generation are way ahead of people who came of age in the '60s, '70s, '80s and so on.

What she's doing now is probably more worthwhile than a few more months of learning how to interact with people. As I recall, the Unabomer was not a high school dropout.:smxF:

Halli

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jun 18, 2009
London,UK
I think it's great that she just started doing this to serve people.Not thinking about making money but to serve her friends and show her designs.And also I'm surprised to how much influence she has among people.It didn't matter what she was offered she could do it on her own :)

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Apart from the learning to read and write aspect of schooling, I feel that schooling only dumbs you down.

How comes they dont teach finance, wealth, power of the mind, State Benefits, Tax, Law, or anything of practical use?

My kids will never go school, I will teach them, and they will be learning from the mind of a succesfull philanthropist.

To say that she wont be socially inclined is ignorant, if anything this wealth has given her an abundance of love and social life. Not only that, but at 17 years old to discover the power of her mind will be a learning curve no school can teach.

Blessings

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Apart from the learning to read and write aspect of schooling, I feel that schooling only dumbs you down.

How comes they dont teach finance, wealth, power of the mind, State Benefits, Tax, Law, or anything of practical use?

My kids will never go school, I will teach them, and they will be learning from the mind of a succesfull philanthropist.

To say that she wont be socially inclined is ignorant, if anything this wealth has given her an abundance of love and social life. Not only that, but at 17 years old to discover the power of her mind will be a learning curve no school can teach.

Blessings

Well you opened up the can of worms now. Too much generalization here for my tastes.

I am a public school teacher by choice. I teach mainly underprivileged kids. I have taught at the high school and middle school levels and I currently teach at the elementary level, 5th grade science to be exact. I do teach remedial math quite often as well. I teach English and Spanish speakers. I am also father of an 18 yo girl heading to the university on major scholarships in 3 weeks.

I can give you my opinion about some of the things you speak about.

First, many people have questioned why they don't teach more financial literacy in school. I have tried myself. Other teachers have tried to teach my own kid financial literacy, with little success. From what I have seen, they don't care to learn it, any more than they care to learn to read and write. They do not jump on it like duck to water, sorry.

Second, the dumbing down thing. I will agree that schools in general stifle creativity but the fact that you can read and do math is due to the education your received from someone. You get out of school, and anything else, what you put into it.

Third, please home school your kids, please. Go ahead and learn advanced language, writing, math, science, social studies, physical education, fine arts, etc. Most parents can't do it past about 6th grade. I, myself, have completed math to a calculus level in college but could not help my kid with her calculus homework due to not using my knowledge in years. I have acquaintances very close to me that did their kids no academic favors by home schooling them. I'm sure you will do much better than that though. Gotta stay on it though, no letting down.

I will agree there are problems with the overall education system. However, I grow tired of bitching and want more solutions than blame. If you really want to help, design your curriculum, pitch it to the powers that are in control, and see if you can get some changes made. Or get your certification and get a teaching job and join me, see if you can make a difference.

Me, I'll be back in the classroom in 3 weeks with the 60-70 best kids on earth. I can't think of anything I would rather do than help those kids see a bigger world and realize their dreams.

Last year I showed my kids these pics and they were in awe:

1623d1266976478-bp-2010-pics-p2190058.jpg

1624d1266976478-bp-2010-pics-p2190061.jpg

MJ they still talk about these pics. I used the pics to show them what is possible.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Oh, gotta add one more thing.

Teachers teach what is dictated to them by the state legislature. School administrators see to that. The state legislature is guided by the federal standards. The feds and state representatives are responding to the populist demand for better schools. The public, parents, you, elect the representatives. You want change, elect better representatives.

rant off

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Third, please home school your kids, please. Go ahead and learn advanced language, writing, math, science, social studies, physical education, fine arts, etc. Most parents can't do it past about 6th grade. I, myself, have completed math to a calculus level in college but could not help my kid with her calculus homework due to not using my knowledge in years. I have acquaintances very close to me that did their kids no academic favors by home schooling them. I'm sure you will do much better than that though. Gotta stay on it though, no letting down.

It's funny, as much as I disagree with certain aspects of school home school seems like a MUCH worse option than school. School is essential to development far past the curriculum. The social aspects of it, being forced to be around people almost every day of the week is very important to learn to interact. Perhaps I've just seen the 'odd ones out', but typically home schooled kids tend to be a bit off when in social situations. Some of those home schooled kids though are absolutely brilliant in school smarts though. It's ridiculous some of them. haha

Really agree with what you say overall Runum!

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma

Teachers teach what is dictated to them by the state legislature. School administrators see to that. The state legislature is guided by the federal standards. The feds and state representatives are responding to the populist demand for better schools. The public, parents, you, elect the representatives. You want change, elect better representatives.

rant off

Runum, you speak directly to one of the most important enlightenments in human history: the leadership is not at the Federal or State level, but on the ground. :hurray:

What is your opinion of the idea of free market education where schools improve the quality of teaching, the progress of students, and your freedom in what you teach via competition with each other? The beauty of a free society is that people in any community would be able to choose whether they want this system or a public system, but the public option would be controlled at the local community rather than the state level. Plus, private schooling would be cheap because there would be so much competition. Just wanted your 2 cents on that.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I am going to vote no on the home school option. If it is important for you to give a kid a sound financial base, then you can do this in spare time. All and all, it is up to you. I am just giving you my two cents. I made life long friends in elementary school, high school, and college. I did some very STUPID stuff in high school due to temptation and my entrepreneurial drive to make money....but I luckily didn't get caught and came out better for it in the end. Other than the basics, I can't tell you a ton of what I learned out of the books. As far as relationships, friends and with the girls....public school was invaluable for me as a person. Again, I am not judging your opinion at all but just giving mine based on my experience.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Runum, you speak directly to one of the most important enlightenments in human history: the leadership is not at the Federal or State level, but on the ground. :hurray:

What is your opinion of the idea of free market education where schools improve the quality of teaching, the progress of students, and your freedom in what you teach via competition with each other? The beauty of a free society is that people in any community would be able to choose whether they want this system or a public system, but the public option would be controlled at the local community rather than the state level. Plus, private schooling would be cheap because there would be so much competition. Just wanted your 2 cents on that.

I really am all for improving schools for the benefit of the kids. If competition is what would improve the schools so be it. But there are so many unanswered questions. What is the measuring stick that will be used to designate an improved school? If you increase the pressure for the teachers to perform to a certain level then be prepared for more pressure on the kids. Sure I will make it as fun as possible but the bottom line is the kids have to pass a standard. Some parents have trouble understanding that sometimes learning is uncomfortable and that makes their kids unhappy. We currently have competition among public schools and the parents don't like it.

The problem is, as I see it, school isn't a factory. All the kids are not the same and they do have good and bad days. Forcing the kids to perform at certain state mandated levels is not humane for some of the kids. But, I do recognize the need for the measuring stick(tests). Without the standard test some teachers will cruise and not teach.

The current proposal is the value added method of measurement. Test the kids when I get them and then test them at the end of the year. If the kids perform a certain percentage better over the year, I've done my job. If they don't do better then I need to improve or move on. Problem with this is how do you compare school to school?

Good question Pinnacle.

G

Guest3722A

rant off

I sincerely wish there was a way to get this message through to the citizens of Detroit as the majority is so easily persuaded in which direction they choose. Many of those kids have much potential but the system isn't regulated with proper authority and it seems that everyother year or so we hear about a superintendent or other higher status figure with his or her hand in the cookie jar. On a side note, one of my tenants from the rehearsal hall who use to come and play drums a few times a week was a Detroit public school teacher and would tell me about parents that would come to his class and threaten physical harm to him for disciplining their kid! Apparently this was common. Talk about a need for change from several different angles.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I sincerely wish there was a way to get this message through to the citizens of Detroit as the majority is so easily persuaded in which direction they choose. Many of those kids have much potential but the system isn't regulated with proper authority and it seems that everyother year or so we hear about a superintendent or other higher status figure with his or her hand in the cookie jar. On a side note, one of my tenants from the rehearsal hall who use to come and play drums a few times a week was a Detroit public school teacher and would tell me about parents that would come to his class and threaten physical harm to him for disciplining their kid! Apparently this was common. Talk about a need for change from several different angles.

I agree, there is enough blame to share all around, popular press, politicians, parents, teachers,, administrators, and even kids that make bad choices.

I know the answers are going to be hard, difficult, and painful. If we really want a structured education system like Japan then get ready for unhappy kids and parents. If we want tracking like Europe, get ready for unhappy kids and parents. It doesn't matter which way we as a society go, there are shady people that will take advantage of the situation. And you can bet the press will be there to tell us all what is wrong with the system, just so they can increase circulation.:cheers:

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010

rant off

Runum, you are correct in saying that my reply was a bit generalising and I cant dispute this.

Unfortunately your a one a million teacher, not all teachers have the passion inside of them like you have clearly demonstrated.

My reply was not meant to attack all teachers, I have the upmost respect for those teachers who go against the grain, but I still feel that the majority fail to do so.

You are clearly making a big difference in your part of the world and for the many lucky kids to be taught by you, but in reality we are seeing more kids drop out of school here in the UK.

The news will boast about how grades have gone up in the past years, with no mention that the tests are getting easier especially GCSE's when compared with a 12 year olds 1923 maths exam.

The feds need to raise their standard, they need to train and manage teachers to a high level like yourself and have a working system to ensure this.

Its a shame that not all teachers see your inner vision, you clearly have big dreams and work passionately towards that dream, but for many working as a teacher is a job, a job to pay the bills.

Maybe the school in where you teach has a much higher budget than compared to my surrounding area, here in London there are kids stabbing teachers, kids stabbing each other, and in general its a bloody mess! I dont want to be taught by someone who is an alcholic or not a master of themselves.

My brain and IQ is not high enough to formulate a solution, I did not mean to bitch, I was just stating my opinion. As for the schooling system being compared to a factory, it sure feels that way! You go to school, dress the same way, get taught what I did not want to learn, oh and plus the 15+ injections they give you through the whole process!

You remind me of my maths teacher Mr Greenshields, I truly admire this man. He was a genius and made me a genius at maths, we used to walk in the class and he used to sing as loud as possible until all the late people turned up. He was the best teacher in the whole school and I will never forget what he has done for me, its a shame he was the only one. He went against the grain, and with a 97% pass rate for his students its proof that it works.

Blessings

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Thanks man but I don't think I am all that rare. I see hard working teachers trying to make a difference everyday. I have hundreds of stories of how normal working teachers do amazing things everyday despite the education bureaucracy grinding down on them.

Allseeingeye

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks man but I don't think I am all that rare. I see hard working teachers trying to make a difference everyday. I have hundreds of stories of how normal working teachers do amazing things everyday despite the education bureaucracy grinding down on them.

I am sure there is, but with our negative spin on the education system they only ever pick up on the bad apples on the tree!

I understand its not the teachers themselves, I understand its not the angry bus driver or even the incompetent workers at the local benefits office, I understand above them a shadow is casted and they remain in situations that are difficult and that they struggle with the pathetic budgets they have to work with.

I still have alot of respect for those working in teaching and especially the NHS, they perform miracles with their very little resources. Its just annoying to know that so much money is being wasted of bombs and other things that take life rather than give it.

You certainly sound like a one off teacher and keep doing what your doing, I will never forget Mr greenshields! Long live Mr Greenshields! haha

Blessings

Ferrari Girl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Apr 3, 2011
Lots of home schooled kids suffer form this. Sure they can do college level math while they are still in 9th grade. But they have ZERO friends. They don't know how to communicare or interact with others cause they never learned how.

There's a chance this girl could wind up with $50MM, but have no friends because she does not know how to communicate and interact with others.

It sounds like she isn't having a problem with socialization, and since she was already 17 would have been almost out of school anyway. It sounds like she was doing a great job including regular interaction with her friends, the other teens on her site, and interacting with people working for her. If anything, she was learning social skills at a faster pace than most teens, maybe some adults, too.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Awesome read but being almost 4 years, you can see her website isnt doing to well anymore. Her alexa ranking chart made me "lol". She was in all honestly just riding the coat tail of myspace and you can see it got her a quick buck but nothing long term.

Denise

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 29, 2011
USA
This is a great article about a 17 year old girl that is really in the fastlane. I think this is great inspiration for the ones of you that are interested in starting a profitable website.
Girl Power - Whateverlife.com - Ashley Qualls - Nabbr | Fast Company

This is a cool success story! I went to the website and looked around, but I am confused how she is bringing in $70,000 a month on a free site. Someone mentioned that the $$$ comes from advertisements but I didn't see a whole lot of them.

Can someone explain how this makes money?

Ben Middleton

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 26, 2011
This is a cool success story! I went to the website and looked around, but I am confused how she is bringing in $70,000 a month on a free site. Someone mentioned that the $$$ comes from advertisements but I didn't see a whole lot of them.

Can someone explain how this makes money?

3 ads per page with loads of viewers i guess? I'd think for $70,000 a month the website would be completely made over and look rather amazing considering the concept its built upion, Myspace themes and such lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.