The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Middle of my second 60 hr shift pretty much killing myself on 10 hour days and got a massive break today.

Huge accident at work and everyone got sent home with pay, feels nice.. can actually feel my body breaking down :D

May do another 60 upcoming week. Really weird only sleeping and working

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Just something i wanted to share, next week will be my fourth week in a row doing 60 hour week. While my body is totally exhausted and my feet are killing me (I’ve broken both of them before) I’m making the most money ever in a while. Going to be heading into 2019 very strong and for the first time in my life have a surplus of cash where I’m not living paycheque to paycheque. This past year has been pretty brutal, save it for another post :D

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Got fired tn, still have my old job but just way less hours (10 for this month)

Will need to see about getting another job or more work, see how that plays out.

Aiming for January product launch!

Merry Xmas everyone, lets make 2019 a GREAT year

How Im feeling...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJjjAeob_Ms

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrATY5SPRDE

So this year has been another failure, I have been struggling with poverty for the past few years of my life, dropping in and out of homelessness. I've been fired from my job earlier in the year and decided to take some time off and try to enjoy life a bit, moved back to Vancouver and engaged in somewhat suicidal activities like blowing through red lights on a skateboard at full speed, whilst partaking in some hobbies that were constantly put off due to work.

In the summer had a nice little crash on my board where good ol spare change was laying on the road crying his eyes out in severe pain hitting a random bump in the road. Some ***** in his car was across the road just staring at me, not a single ***** given. I'm currently re-reading Unscripted and have passed the part where MJ talks about his situation at 26 mentioning if he dropped dead it would have no impact on anyone (how I feel).

There have been some flirtations with suicide but can't really commit to the idea of it as I feel there's still a little bit of fight left inside, so I've passed on that option at least for now. Recently I've been spamming out resumes to employers and finally landed a full time job that I'm starting tomorrow. Feeling a little bit better as I don't even have rent money for next month & have been starving quite literally for the past few weeks eating at shelters, hallelujah for expired food that's worse than dog food.

So what the **** It's been 4 years of living paycheck to paycheck, being a worthless bum on the street and starving. The best part is the whole time I have been working, I don't do drugs or drink and am lumped into the bottom 99% category, super deep into the script.

That's all for the negativity, for going forward I'm excited about a product that can add value into a customers life, still need to test it out but for now my focus is starting my new job (I'm trapped)

I'll list out my goals to help add value to someone else's life & expose my thought processes, consider it a blueprint on how to get started? I don't know, either that I can just document my life failure which would explain the reason why I got into a car and drove it straight into a truck at top speed in the direction of oncoming traffic.

Here are some of my goals for the next few weeks to keep me occupied, also in the to do is going over the thread, reading Unscripted as mentioned before (bout halfway through) TMF , E-Myth & Loris book.

GOAL #1 Be a good worker for the company I am starting at tomorrow
GOAL #2 Come up with rent money for next month so I am not on the street
GOAL #3 I can actually do this right now for free, negotiate an order for a product I believe could add value into someones life, and come up with how the product will be marketed & sold (currently theirs a rough idea sitting in my head)
GOAL #4 Dump all my money into rent & food and invest surplus cash into samples and a full order, my first one should be anywhere from $600-$1k++. And build a new website/reserve cash for ads etc etc. I'll go more into detail with this later when I'm at this stage.

I'm starting off with basically no money, last week my net worth has been negative $3, yes -$3 in my bank account. If you gave me something for free I literally would not be able to afford it. Total loser and highly likely to be an absolute moron, with a debt that still needs to be settled with a friend of mine of 200 bucks. I'm not complaining just venting, its not right for me to, infact.. I would strongly argue that life in poverty in Canada is a million times better than anywhere else in the world, don't get it twisted, even my total shit useless life is of higher quality than some kid in India or Africa. Please don't pity me.

Look forward to providing value, sorry for the hiatus & thank you to all contributors in my thread, its been a rough one.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

So this year has been another failure, I have been struggling with poverty for the past few years of my life, dropping in and out of homelessness. I've been fired from my job earlier in the year and decided to take some time off and try to enjoy life a bit, moved back to Vancouver and engaged in somewhat suicidal activities like blowing through red lights on a skateboard at full speed, whilst partaking in some hobbies that were constantly put off due to work.

In the summer had a nice little crash on my board where good ol spare change was laying on the road crying his eyes out in severe pain hitting a random bump in the road. Some ***** in his car was across the road just staring at me, not a single ***** given. I'm currently re-reading Unscripted and have passed the part where MJ talks about his situation at 26 mentioning if he dropped dead it would have no impact on anyone (how I feel).

There have been some flirtations with suicide but can't really commit to the idea of it as I feel there's still a little bit of fight left inside, so I've passed on that option at least for now. Recently I've been spamming out resumes to employers and finally landed a full time job that I'm starting tomorrow. Feeling a little bit better as I don't even have rent money for next month & have been starving quite literally for the past few weeks eating at shelters, hallelujah for expired food that's worse than dog food.

So what the **** It's been 4 years of living paycheck to paycheck, being a worthless bum on the street and starving. The best part is the whole time I have been working, I don't do drugs or drink and am lumped into the bottom 99% category, super deep into the script.

That's all for the negativity, for going forward I'm excited about a product that can add value into a customers life, still need to test it out but for now my focus is starting my new job (I'm trapped)

I'll list out my goals to help add value to someone else's life & expose my thought processes, consider it a blueprint on how to get started? I don't know, either that I can just document my life failure which would explain the reason why I got into a car and drove it straight into a truck at top speed in the direction of oncoming traffic.

Here are some of my goals for the next few weeks to keep me occupied, also in the to do is going over the thread, reading Unscripted as mentioned before (bout halfway through) TMF , E-Myth & Loris book.

GOAL #3 I can actually do this right now for free, negotiate an order for a product I believe could add value into someones life, and come up with how the product will be marketed & sold (currently theirs a rough idea sitting in my head)
GOAL #4 Dump all my money into rent & food and invest surplus cash into samples and a full order, my first one should be anywhere from $600-$1k++. And build a new website/reserve cash for ads etc etc. I'll go more into detail with this later when I'm at this stage.

I'm starting off with basically no money, last week my net worth has been negative $3, yes -$3 in my bank account. If you gave me something for free I literally would not be able to afford it. Total loser and highly likely to be an absolute moron, with a debt that still needs to be settled with a friend of mine of 200 bucks. I'm not complaining just venting, its not right for me to, infact.. I would strongly argue that life in poverty in Canada is a million times better than anywhere else in the world, don't get it twisted, even my total shit useless life is of higher quality than some kid in India or Africa. Please don't pity me.

Look forward to providing value, sorry for the hiatus & thank you to all contributors in my thread, its been a rough one.
Sounds like you've been having a rough time. Taking care of yourself comes first. And that may require a slowlane job for the moment to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth. No more crashes -- OK? Injuries hurt and can be permanent. Just the fact that you are breathing must have some value to you...

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Sounds like you've been having a rough time. Taking care of yourself comes first. And that may require a slowlane job for the moment to put a roof over your head and food in your mouth. No more crashes -- OK? Injuries hurt and can be permanent. Just the fact that you are breathing must have some value to you...

For sure.

You can ignore goals #2-4 until you have a good solid roof over your head, are feeling good about yourself and a few dollars in the bank.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018

Hey glad to see you back here! I was thinking about you just the other day, saying to myself, "Hey, where's sparechange? Haven't seen him recently."

Sorry to hear about the rough stuff you've been through. Happy to hear you found a job. You've got this!

I mean seriously, when you make it big, you're going to have an amazing story to tell.

In 2013, I was in a Walmart with $13 and spent $10, leaving me with my last $3. I was so close to ending up homeless and starving. I got a job the next day. I know how scary that can be.

Keep your chin up! We're rooting for you!!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
@sparechange There is no reason that your future has to in any way resemble your past. Just because yesterday sucked, that does not mean tomorrow will. Hell, the fact that you've survived so many rough yesterdays means that you developed a toughness to get something worthwhile from tomorrow.

You will get through this.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Glad to see you back dude, I'm rooting for you. Best advice I can give is to spend 2020 stockpiling cash. Given what you've been through, it would be prudent to put a business on the back burner and just get some stability in your life. You know more than anybody that it's going to be impossible to succeed in business with the specter of homelessness hanging over your head. Since you've finally caught a lucky break, make the most of it and make sure you never live that reality again.

just my $0.02

Either way, it's the makings of a truly great rags to riches story. Keep at it, better days are coming.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Good to see you back!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I've read the last four pages of this progress thread, and it seems to be filled with action fake.

You need to do something to get your business started.

@biophase gave you good advice. What have you done since then? Did you look at different products to import? Did you at least get price quotes from suppliers to confirm what he's saying is true? Did you make a list of other options?

You need to be pushing your business (life) forward everyday.

Moving to Calgary is cool, but that has zero impact on your ability to create an income stream. You didn't have a business before. You don't have a business today.

Your goal for 2017 was "to make $100k!" You missed that, and I'm guessing by a lot because you failed to take action and learn. Currently you're in a similar predicament.

When will you take your first step? 2018? Because 2018 is F*cking 26 days away. Then 2018 hits and you realize "Oh shit, Chinese New Year is a thing," and don't do anything for another month. Next thing you know it's March 1st, and you don't have a product, don't have any samples, just a couple emails that you exchanged with a supplier or two.

If you're going to be successful, then you need to do it.

In a previous post you mentioned that you've "paid your dues". What dues have you paid? Reading a book or two? Taking some pictures and putting them on Instagram while smiling to yourself that you got a handful of followers?

At which point did you create value that was scalable and learn from it?

This is your life. You can take control and dominate, or you can delude yourself that you're making progress. You decide.

@sparechange - You're in a tough place right now, so I've been debating whether or not to make this post. However, I find personally that pain is the absolute best way to create progress. The pain you're feeling right now, harness that and turn that into something positive.

Also, you asked not to be pitied... so now time for some tough love:

2 years ago, I made the post above. You were action faking then. You continued to action fake until now - and ended up homeless and depressed.

Your life is yours.

You make it what you want to make it into.

In your post above you called yourself a lot of dark things. "Worthless bum", "total loser", "absolute moron"... referred to your existence as "my total shit useless life".

F*ck that.

That's the past.

You're not your past. You're only your present and future self.

In the past, you failed not because you were worthless, a loser, or a moron ... you failed because you were a pussy with low self worth. You didn't believe in yourself and because of that, you didn't take action.

You were scared.

And where did being scared get you?

Crying on the F*cking street. Think about that. You were too scared to take action and fail, and because of that ended up in the absolute worst position that you'll ever be in.

Oh, and that guy that you're angry at because he didn't give a shit about you crying in the street? Here's a wake up call: No one cares about you with the exception of a few close friends/family. And that goes for anyone. No one gives a shit about anyone. And because of that: No one's going to help you become who you want to be. No one.

The only person that can help you be who you want to be is you.

It's all in your head.

You not taking action for 4 years - that's in your head.

You thinking you're a loser - that's in your head.

If you believe that, then that's who you'll be.

Stop thinking that.

Stop being a pussy.

You've hit your rock bottom. It's time to man up and start living the life that you planned to live 4 years ago. It's time to take control over your own life and make of it what you want. You're in control and have the power to do anything you want. However, same as before, in order to become something you need to start by doing something.

Save up cash. Build up some security. Start going to the gym, shaving, dressing better, eating better, or whatever to build up your self esteem. Stop thinking of yourself in the terms that you self defined. And then in a few months when you're a little bit more confident, go at it again.

It's your life. You choose how to live it.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
@csalvato I got a bit lucky and managed to talk with the owner/operator of a bottle sorting company in Burnaby (just below Vancouver downtown) he mentioned a lot of people don't even show up for shifts so I'm assuming as long as I'm punctual and a good worker I'll be alright, also said steady hours are offered, hopefully full time.

Thanks for the messages everyone, I'll get more involved in the community and share progress as I go. Even though I don't have cash to invest now there's a trading company offering a 3k unit order with shipping at about 1.3k for a product I'm kind of interested, its just a thought in my head now. Of course I've done no market research as this is a fresh idea but I'll wait until I have some surplus cash, atm I'm negative net.. back to a job for now.

@AgainstAllOdds I popped out some squats and situps watching
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX8ZeA7ahDg
made me feel a bit better actually.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So my job is fulltime, 40 hrs week with Wed/Sun off, rent is 650, food is 3-400 lets call it a grand total for living expenses. Saving about 1k or so a month it'll take me about a month to have money for an order on product. For now I guess just save up and grind it out. Maybe not an order, but at least samples

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
So my job is fulltime, 40 hrs week with Wed/Sun off, rent is 650, food is 3-400 lets call it a grand total for living expenses. Saving about 1k or so a month it'll take me about a month to have money for an order on product. For now I guess just save up and grind it out. Maybe not an order, but at least samples

Product is typically a 30% deposit. The rest at the end of production. You can order product in about a week. Make it happen.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

Product is typically a 30% deposit. The rest at the end of production. You can order product in about a week. Make it happen.

I’m no psychiatrist but I think you should hold off on trying to play the entrepreneur buying and selling game until you sort yourself out.

Get some money in the bank for a rainy day in case you lose that job,get into some good habits without stress (like reading and going to the gym.

You need some stability right now, and you won’t find that in the hustle. There’s so much you can learn and so many ways to progress that won’t require that level of stress right now, which will be counter productive to you truly getting on firm footing.

Give it a year on a solid wage, and learn what it means to really provide for your employer. If you can’t provide for one person, no chance in hell you can for a whole market.

take it one step at a time. Just my 2¢
Please be well

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I’m no psychiatrist but I think you should hold off on trying to play the entrepreneur buying and selling game until you sort yourself out.

Get some money in the bank for a rainy day in case you lose that job,get into some good habits without stress (like reading and going to the gym.

You need some stability right now, and you won’t find that in the hustle. There’s so much you can learn and so many ways to progress that won’t require that level of stress right now, which will be counter productive to you truly getting on firm footing.

Give it a year on a solid wage, and learn what it means to really provide for your employer. If you can’t provide for one person, no chance in hell you can for a whole market.

take it one step at a time. Just my 2¢
Please be well

Yeah, but it's a $1,000.

$300 down.

Probably won't have to pay the $700 until March when the Chinese come back from CNY. By that time he'll have saved up some cash and have a cushion for his stable life.

What got @sparechange into this situation wasn't a business failure. It was low self-esteem and action faking. If his identity is tied to entrepreneurship (which it probably is since he's been on this forum for four years), then taking action for $300 could be more beneficial than anything else.

Him not taking action won't lower the stress.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Yeah, but it's a $1,000.

$300 down.

Probably won't have to pay the $700 until March when the Chinese come back from CNY. By that time he'll have saved up some cash and have a cushion for his stable life.

What got @sparechange into this situation wasn't a business failure. It was low self-esteem and action faking. If his identity is tied to entrepreneurship (which it probably is since he's been on this forum for four years), then taking action for $300 could be more beneficial than anything else.

Him not taking action won't lower the stress.

Thankfully I’ve never been homeless but I have been in the unfortunate position of my new business taking my personal accounts all the way to zero and alienating me from others.

It’s absolutely terrifying.

After that, I took a year away from entrepreneurship after hustling for 5 years. I saved money in my warchest. Got my head right.

Maybe I’m a pussy. I sure felt like one for that year while I was getting back on my feet.

Pussy or not, that year I transformed into someone making more than 90% of the country. I also became a business leader. Having a job and crushing it for an employer is a form of taking action.

It let me build a team around me that is now following me into a venture where we all feel fairly treated, with a solid mission and awesome product...without the stress of trying to make ends meet or finding the next product to sell to keep a roof over my head.

Maybe your answer is the best for him. Maybe it’s not.

I just empathize...the notion that you have to be putting your last dollar on the line all day every day to live up to the entrepreneur identity really hurt my progress and my recovery. I’d hate for it to hinder his.

It’s a lot of needless pressure.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hm...........

I'm considering a 50/50, at least a few samples under $100 & engaging the market while slaving the job and stocking up cash.

My life for the next while looks like..

Monday, wakeup at 6:00 AM, be at work for 8:00AM, finish at 4:30PM, get back home around 6:00PMish, repeat Tuesday, Wednesday off, Thursday 6:00 - 4:30PM, Friday 6-4:30, Saturday 6:-4:30, Sunday off.

Vadim26

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2018
Vancouver, BC.
@sparechange

I also live in Vancouver.

Why does it take you 2 hours from waking up to get to work?

I’ve been seeing people doing 2-hour commutes, when I used to live in Langley. Now, I moved closer to work and cut down my commute time in more than a half.. because this is the fuc*** horrible time usage.

Consider moving right next to your work. Pack up staff the night before, wake up, get ready in 20 minutes.

Now you have an extra 2-3 hours a day.
What are you going to do with that time?

To add: consider home-stays, where food is included. Look for old kind couples who had kids and now are living on their own.

Now, you don’t spend time preparing your food as well.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hello from Van! I prefer living up in the mountains farther away from the city, I'm ok with a longer commute as I need to walk up and down a couple of KM's to get home and read usually on the train. Its a bit cheaper aswell @ 650 while a lot of the other places are around 800+ in the Burnaby area where I'm working

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I'd like to do it right this time, my last product was a semi gamble out of frustration. Talked about in the previous pages. Biophase laid out the truth.

Going back and forth with a supplier for a product to order samples that could potentially be a home run, it solves a need, people are buying it on Amazon and its fairly cheap.

I'm asking questions about the product and the supplier....oops trader, is not answering basic questions which I find super irritating.

There is only 2 suppliers that I'm aware of on Alibaba that offer this product. Some others offer a similar one although I specifically want XXX for this niche.

The second supplier hasn't even responded to my inquiry of mold cost so yeh, cya later alligator. (first one quoted $2k)

Time for sleep, work in the morning. Day off Wednesday will look into this some more.

Work is ok it's a bit dirty but whatever, I think I'll be safe for a while. My boss knows about my situation so paid me in advance, today was the last day I ate a homeless shelter, hopefully I never have to do that shit again. *** that

I feel good & optimistic. Cheers (re-reading Unscripted again and TMF ) on Chap 25 atm

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
After digging into some reviews on the product there are some issues, (a company valued at 168 million) one of the biggest brands actually beat me to the punch with the product idea I had, just found out about this.

Also the product from this brand contains a cancer warning discovered from a negative review, which makes me a bit skeptical of proceeding forward, the second supplier replied days later offering the same product (as the cancer warning one which happens to be the exact product I wanted to give a go) While the same supplier wanted 6.5k for a mold lol, the first one wanted $2k.

Suppliers aren't telling me how the product is made and things I absolutely need to know, not sure if I should proceed, still need to do some homework. Don't get married to a product right? There are other similar products that have alot of popularity online but coming into the market with the exact same one is just money chasing, something I've been guilty of before, perhaps I can make alterations and skew value that way. I'm having second thoughts as to whether the market needs another me to product, although I may be able to offer value by changing a few things up. Lets see.. Not pulling any triggers yet.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Identifying a product that has good enough margins is only 1 part of the problem.

What markets/audiences do you have access to? How will you get your product in front of your audience? What will do you when the product lands at amazon?

It makes it a lot easier to have a clear view on this (your 'go-to-market' if you will) before looking for products.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
After digging into some reviews on the product there are some issues, (a company valued at 168 million) one of the biggest brands actually beat me to the punch with the product idea I had, just found out about this.

Also the product from this brand contains a cancer warning discovered from a negative review, which makes me a bit skeptical of proceeding forward, the second supplier replied days later offering the same product (as the cancer warning one which happens to be the exact product I wanted to give a go) While the same supplier wanted 6.5k for a mold lol, the first one wanted $2k.

Suppliers aren't telling me how the product is made and things I absolutely need to know, not sure if I should proceed, still need to do some homework. Don't get married to a product right? There are other similar products that have alot of popularity online but coming into the market with the exact same one is just money chasing, something I've been guilty of before, perhaps I can make alterations and skew value that way. I'm having second thoughts as to whether the market needs another me to product, although I may be able to offer value by changing a few things up. Lets see.. Not pulling any triggers yet.
So, if multiple people are doing the same thing, how long is until you are copied and under cut?????

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So, if multiple people are doing the same thing, how long is until you are copied and under cut?????

There is a lot of sellers that are in the niche which leads me to be slightly hesitant on the idea. Also the suppliers aren't answering my basic questions in regards to how its made and simple things so if asked by a potential customer I don't even have that information.

Going back and forth, 2 days have passed where I still don't have any good communication with said suppliers, Contemplating shooting a 3 pointer into the garbage bin with the idea.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Identifying a product that has good enough margins is only 1 part of the problem.

What markets/audiences do you have access to? How will you get your product in front of your audience? What will do you when the product lands at amazon?

It makes it a lot easier to have a clear view on this (your 'go-to-market' if you will) before looking for products.

Audiences are something I've been thinking of lately, providing a product in my area. Living in a middle class area there is a ton of families, some retired, mixed in with some elite rich on the block.

Ah, since I live by a popular hiking trail that might be a niche to look into.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Going back and forth, 2 days have passed where I still don't have any good communication with said suppliers, Contemplating shooting a 3 pointer into the garbage bin with the idea.

That's quitting too fast. Think of it as a barrier to entry. It's actually a good thing. When sourcing for suppliers, I often had to do many to-and-fros and lots of waiting, the whole sourcing phase can take up to 3 months or more. You might even uncover new suppliers you didn't realise previously that actually existed (due to them not having a website etc). Lots of gold in the mines the deeper you go.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There is a lot of sellers that are in the niche which leads me to be slightly hesitant on the idea. Also the suppliers aren't answering my basic questions in regards to how its made and simple things so if asked by a potential customer I don't even have that information.

So, you already know that you'll have a lot of competition -- which will restrict your profits and your chance of making it work. And you must assume that the suppliers already have favorite customers, so that's why they are ignoring you. You've failed to tie your idea to a demonstrated customer need... And you wanted to start what?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.