The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
crazy lister is actually pretty awesome

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
so couple hundred views or so on my ebay posts, traffic driven from facebook.

the market sees my doggy jacket (i think its awesome!) and no interest, so you guys are right about it being to high priced. blah.

noone cares or wants my bed or jacket..

this is my marketplace echo... act asses adjust

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
** free info for anyone new to e-commerce **

paid $25 for a fb ad and got around 200 people to visit my ebay store. pretty neat, now the magic formula is to figure out what i pay for a customer to direct them to my site & my profit/loss on an item per acquisition & building a money system as MJ says.

give me some more time, i will close someone

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Duuuuuuude!

I applaud you for taking action, but I highly suggest sticking to a single business idea. You're all over the place. If you choose to go everywhere you're likely to get nowhere.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
If I recall in the TMF book, towards the end there was a section on being a Monogamous Entrepreneur. Focused Monogamy equals fun Polygamy later right? Get one business, make the money, invest in lots.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
only doing a ''pet business''

nothing else

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
reduced prices and no interest along with new pictures, so..not sure what my next action is, fairly clear the market does not want my products dog bed/ball thrower/jacket

i do have a product idea thats pretty cool (pet industry) that could sell. perhaps focus my efforts into different items?

sticking with pet products, am i traveling in the right direction? keep trying to find something that sells and go for it!?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
on the positive side, i have a tiny following on facebook thats organic, so gaining a larger audience will simply be a matter of time & money

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
reduced prices and no interest along with new pictures, so..not sure what my next action is, fairly clear the market does not want my products dog bed/ball thrower/jacket

i do have a product idea thats pretty cool (pet industry) that could sell. perhaps focus my efforts into different items?

sticking with pet products, am i traveling in the right direction? keep trying to find something that sells and go for it!?
There is opportunity in every category. The pet industry is enormous, as you know. There are hundreds, if not thousands of unique products you can serve to that market. But you're not going to find it on the shelves of your local pet store. Does your new product idea exist already, or is it something you've made up?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
its on the market but i havent seen it around much

sam9530130

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Dec 29, 2016
Canada
Have you been trying to do Retail Arbitrage for a while (backpack and pets product)?

I used to do that and I never needed to run ads to drive traffic to the products because you're basically competing on price.

If that's what you're doing, you should really reconsider your strategy. If not, I have no clue what you're doing, but you may want to reconsider your strategy anyways!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Are you making any changes/improvement to it?

havent thought about changes much. fairly basic item

Have you been trying to do Retail Arbitrage for a while (backpack and pets product)?

yes i have been trying retail arbitrage, dont feel as if it would be a wise decision in the current moment to go all out and import and try to sell a huge inventory when i cant even sell anything online now. in the future its a strong possibility.

feel kind of stuck, i have it on facebook & ebay but no sucess (have reduced price and got new pictures)

even the little facebook marketplace, my items are listed and i have tons of people seeing my ad yet i have 0 conversions

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Post a photo and dimensions of your dog bed here and I'll tell you what it should sell for.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
thanks for taking the time to reply @biophase

the dimensions are 25 x 18' (63.5 x 45.7 cm)

i have it up for 19.99 (canadian) currently

Attachments

• xxxx.jpg
    xxxx.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 12

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So this is the first time I've read this thread and OMG it is a clusterfuck. It's been 9 months and you have gotten nowhere. It's not due to lack of trying, it's due to lack of any direction. Why can't you try one thing and stick to it. What's with all these other posts about books and videos and seeing the next shiny object. You know that if you only mowed lawns, you'd probably have a decent list of weekly clients by now.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
thanks for taking the time to reply @biophase

the dimensions are 25 x 18' (63.5 x 45.7 cm)

i have it up for 19.99 (canadian) currently

Ok so that is about a $20 bed on Amazon at the most. It's for a small dog.

Why is someone going to buy this bed from you vs the same price at an online store?

You need to sell that bed for $10 for it to move. How do I know your dog didn't pee on it? Is it worth a $10 savings for me to find out? For some people yes... But it's not worth $0 and extra hassle to get the same bed I can get delivered to my door from a legit store at the same price.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
originally i had it up for 40 just as a test, and reduced

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Ok so that is about a $20 bed on Amazon at the most. It's for a small dog.

Why is someone going to buy this bed from you vs the same price at an online store?

You need to sell that bed for $10 for it to move. How do I know your dog didn't pee on it? Is it worth a $10 savings for me to find out? For some people yes... But it's not worth $0 and extra hassle to get the same bed I can get delivered to my door from a legit store at the same price.

that makes sense, ill see if i can get it sold for 10.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What was the purpose of your test?

wanted to see how much interest i could generate, had a few hundred views and had no ''echo''

believed (wrongly) that i could possibly sell it for $40

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
wanted to see how much interest i could generate, had a few hundred views and had no ''echo''
believed (wrongly) that i could possibly sell it for $40

So you wanted to see if you could sell a $20 dog bed for $40.

A few hundred views basically said, oh look it's a dog bed for sale, click, WTF it's $40, back.

You don't need to test to know that that would fail.

Think of how many would you have sold if they clicked and saw that a $20 dog bed was $10?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
hm, good point. ive relisted it for 9.99, ill compare interest & clicks generated to before

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I might have missed this. Did you buy it with the intention to sell it for more? As in, you bought it at a steep discount and are now flipping it?

Or did you go to the store and buy it for full retail and are trying to use Facebook ads to sell it for more than you paid for it?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
bought at a small discount and trying to flip, although my main focus is learning the art of getting a sale online.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
bought at a small discount and trying to flip, although my main focus is learning the art of getting a sale online.

Can I ask you this as a follow up:

At what price did you originally buy it? Was it bought at a retail store or at something like a thrift store?

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Why would I buy from you? What are you offering that I can't get anywhere else for the same price or better? Who are you, why should I trust giving you my money?

Before people in any numbers will buy from you they first have to trust you. Amazon can get sales with new sellers because they have a stringent screening process and guarantee's to backup their sellers.

You'd probably have more luck with what you're doing selling on Amazon and/or Ebay. You'd then be competing primarily on price. Which means you'd need to do your product research to find a product that you can get for a good wholesale price (likely sourced from China) and still make a decent margin on.

Just buying stuff at a discount at your local retail store and trying to resell it for a profit will in the end just be a huge time sink that will reap very few sales or profit. Just doesn't sound like a good business strategy that's going to work.

Given some people do make a living off buying things from garage sales and thrift stores, but they know what they're looking for. Which are rarer things that are valuable to collectors, not a solar backpack you can get off Amazon.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Can I ask you this as a follow up:

At what price did you originally buy it? Was it bought at a retail store or at something like a thrift store?
i got the bed for 24 bucks usually theyre around 30/40+

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.