The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$100k 2017

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
just organic ebay views atm, i do have items listed on fb aswell, (no clicks tho)

i hope so to!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
cold messaging some people on facebook (as my page)

trying to build relationships with my followers, i believe in building a brand first that is trusted & respected over the quick $

not sure the optimal approach but ill figure it out as i go along

give value before you get it! considering writing off a certain expense and just giving away some stuff. long term i think that would be an ideal strategy.

been learning some things from watching beckers channel, finding it quite helpful. strongly recommend it

creating a feel of community is very important & i aim to separate myself from typical brands that retail pet merchandise.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
looking at youtube ad stuff, $1k for 50k alleged views..

doesnt seem to promising

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
looking at youtube ad stuff, $1k for 50k alleged views..

doesnt seem to promising

Make $1k for 50k views? Or spend $1k to get 50k views?

If it is make, then I need to get into videos.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Make $1k for 50k views? Or spend $1k to get 50k views?

If it is make, then I need to get into videos.

YouTube forbids people from posting their exact stats, but I think the general consensus is that you make $1 per 1,000 views. You need 1 million views a month to make $1,000 a month.

for some niches it may be more, but I think that's the ballpark.

Not to mention they're demonetizing content left and right - not the time to get into YT for ad dollars.

For building a brand, that's a different story.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
lol its spend $1k for 50k views, just looking into getting more exposure than just facebook.

for fb i can spend $25 and reach about 4-7k people, was curious of youtube

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
on 50k views if i can convert .5% viewers that would be 250 potential customers

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
deleted my ebay ads and reposted, and getting 0 views, not running traffic from fb atm

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What makes you think you'll have better conversions on YouTube than on Facebook?

How's the eBay thing going?

still no interest in it & sales.

not thinking anything of youtube, just sharing numbers.

my end goal is to have a brand name, so youtube facebook & a physical presence will be necessity'

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
still no interest in it & sales.

What's your price? Do you charge shipping?

What are your competitors selling for? Are you using the same keywords as them? Does your description look professional or just a few sentences? Do you have 10+ high-quality (able to zoom in) photos?

These are the kinds of things you'll need to address to get some positive traction on eBay. Also note that, in general, eBay shoppers are looking for DEALS - lowest price generally wins.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
lol its spend $1k for 50k views, just looking into getting more exposure than just facebook.

for fb i can spend $25 and reach about 4-7k people, was curious of youtube

Spending $1K on YouTube for 50k views is daylight robbery. Don't do it. Unless they guarantee you a > 50% conversion rate out of 50k views lol!

If you have that kind of cash to burn, you might as well spend a % of it on social influencers to hawk your products, and you also get to mention them on your site for social proof.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
charging $60 for a jacket, free delivery, looks like the majority of competitors (although i dont really pay attention to them much) are actually wholesalers selling at $2 - $10 but theyre from china.

description is fairly basic a couple of sentences (oops) and just using a couple of pictures with a dog wearing the jacket

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
id agree $1k for 50k seems far to low, been liking fb traffic (just need to spend more) ** $25 can get me around 4-7k traffic on facebook **

getting big social media people is on the radar

got a paycheque from work td ($920) which is nice, been off for the past 4 days and feel like ive achieved nothing.. no replys back from my fb messages from the page. no sales or interest generated + a dead youtube channel

can someone send a bottle of water to the desert of desertion? kinda thirsty

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Attachments

• tmp749618540671139842.jpg
    tmp749618540671139842.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
@sparechange I see. I didn't understand. So it seems you still haven't gotten a single sale in. I am sorry to hear it. I do hope you find something that works for you. It can be so frustrating.

I don't know if this helps at all, but see if you can optimize for getting that single sale rather than trying to build a brand yet. I mean it might help to get the motivation in and get to the brand.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
will try tweaking and getting more ads up on fb. see what happens over the next couple of weeks

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
one question if you dont mind, the traffic on ebay vs amazon, is it an extremely big difference? personally dont like amazon as ive been dealing with theyre customer service and found nothing but trouble

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
reviewing a few becker fb ad vids

just had a funny thought, back when i did lawn cutting id do door to door pitches & close on the spot. probably better off doing that for my ''business'' lol.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
reviewing a few becker fb ad vids

just had a funny thought, back when i did lawn cutting id do door to door pitches & close on the spot. probably better off doing that for my ''business'' lol.

I'm gonna be honest here. Watching videos from Gurus on YouTube (Alex Becker, nice guy, but guru) isn't going to teach you FB Ads nearly as much as you think.

1 hour of doing something is worth far more than 1 month of watching videos about it.

Not knocking that you need to learn about setting up FB ads, but you really need something informative, not sellsy.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
fan of his videos, bit guilty here

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Alex Becker is entertaining, for sure. The best thing I got from watching his channel is his overall business strategy:

Start with a simple service, sell it over the phone and build this up to a respectable income.

Parlay some of that money into more CENTS friendly businesses, such as SaaS or physical products

Now that I have condensed that for you, the only reason to watch his videos is entertainment. There is literally nothing more educational in his content than that.

Once you get some experience, then you can watch him to learn how he sells and markets. Before then, his content is just mental masturbation because you don't have the framework to understand what you're seeing.

A useful tidbit for you - I've used a tool called Tamboo that does some basic recording of what people do on your website. It has a two week free trial, and could give you some insight into what is going on.

There is a big difference between someone who bounces after reading the headline / only seeing the hero image, and somebody who bounces after reading about the product.

It sounds like you have reasonable traffic, but no sales. There are precisely two possibilities:

1) The people who are visiting your page are not your target market and will never buy

2) The people who are visiting your page are your target market and aren't buying because of something on the page

Once you figure out which it is, you will get your first sale.

Best of luck :)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
hm, i think a big problem i have is that my audience can be the type of people on facebook that are just bored and click my page for cool / funny pics for entertainment out of boredom.

or they could be an underage kid that doesn't even own a pet thats just looking at some pictures i posted.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
have been jumping around a bit, although right now i am purely focusing on a pet brand, retailing pet products. but i have been struggling to get traction

qu1ksilver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 26, 2015
Wales
I am somehow drawn to check-in with your progress because you seem relentlessly optimistic. I reckon if you took the advice from the last 11 pages of posts and combined it with your energy you would have already hit your $100,000 target. Im no guru myself and its far easier to give advice than receive it so all I can add is to keep it up, good luck

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
charging $60 for a jacket, free delivery, looks like the majority of competitors (although i dont really pay attention to them much) are actually wholesalers selling at $2 - $10 but theyre from china.

description is fairly basic a couple of sentences (oops) and just using a couple of pictures with a dog wearing the jacket

Woah woah woah, hold up a minute. You're trying to sell a dog jacket for $60 that other people are selling for $2-10? On eBay, people don't really have strong biases against Chinese sellers (that's where your dog jacket is likely made anyway).

You're going to have a really, really hard time making a sale when you're charging 5x what the other sellers are selling. If you can't get your costs down to where you can be selling in the $10-15 range, I don't think you're going to see a lot of traction with this, regardless of how much you spend on advertising. How much did you buy the dog jacket for? How did you arrive at $60 for your price? Is it a branded product or did you design it?

I've had a lot of luck using the tools from CrazyLister. They were free when I used them - they might not be free anymore. If nothing else, their blog posts on how to find and source products should be helpful for you. They also have a few guides on the anatomy of a great listing that I highly recommend.

Buying a dog jacket at a department jacket for $35 and putting it on eBay for $60 doesn't create value for anyone (except yourself), and I'd be pretty surprised if you could get even a single sale.

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
@sparechange Some Hard Advice coming. First this quote:

Buying a dog jacket at a department jacket for $35 and putting it on eBay for $60 doesn't create value for anyone (except yourself), and I'd be pretty surprised if you could get even a single sale.

This is one important point and not to mention that you can't scale that at all.

Now buy that jacket from the original manufacturer in China (assuming) for $1.50 and sell it $3 then you got a scalable business as long as that jacket is in demand. I also assume you would build a relationship with that manufacturer and can actually get many more items you can sell.

But at this point I am trying to see if a single sale can be done. I have never had any problems selling stuff online and even without generating traffic to it when the price was right. You already identified several reasons a single sale might not occur. You also know the price is out of whack. You can't build a brand very easy around this concept. 2017 is coming to a close in a few short months. You can still hit 100k but it requires DRASTIC change and BOLD action.

I hate to say it but this is almost Action Faking rather than Action Taking. Almost. You are taking action, which is excellent and I commend you, but it is the wrong action on the borderline of self sabotage. I want to see you get out of this mode because I honestly believe from what you identified that you know the right thing to do.
  1. Stop trying to sell this dog jacket
  2. Find affordable and scalable pet products
  3. Market those
You know that others are eating your market with cheap products and they are successful at it. You can find same/similar products, copy their marketing, and at least be equivalent which buys you time to focus on Brand building. Just a thought. You have the other pieces there. I am still rooting for you, but you need to course correct in a hurry!

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Woah woah woah, hold up a minute. You're trying to sell a dog jacket for $60 that other people are selling for $2-10? On eBay, people don't really have strong biases against Chinese sellers (that's where your dog jacket is likely made anyway).

You're going to have a really, really hard time making a sale when you're charging 5x what the other sellers are selling. If you can't get your costs down to where you can be selling in the $10-15 range, I don't think you're going to see a lot of traction with this, regardless of how much you spend on advertising. How much did you buy the dog jacket for? How did you arrive at $60 for your price? Is it a branded product or did you design it?

I've had a lot of luck using the tools from CrazyLister. They were free when I used them - they might not be free anymore. If nothing else, their blog posts on how to find and source products should be helpful for you. They also have a few guides on the anatomy of a great listing that I highly recommend.

i paid a bit over $50 for the jacket, trying to test the market to see if theres interest in it. after having no clue about the brand or manufacturer i googled it and its a canadian brand that is clearing 2-5 million in revenue. so pretty neat to see that.

ill check out crazy lister thanks for that.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
@sparechange Some Hard Advice coming. First this quote:

This is one important point and not to mention that you can't scale that at all.

Now buy that jacket from the original manufacturer in China (assuming) for $1.50 and sell it $3 then you got a scalable business as long as that jacket is in demand. I also assume you would build a relationship with that manufacturer and can actually get many more items you can sell.

But at this point I am trying to see if a single sale can be done. I have never had any problems selling stuff online and even without generating traffic to it when the price was right. You already identified several reasons a single sale might not occur. You also know the price is out of whack. You can't build a brand very easy around this concept. 2017 is coming to a close in a few short months. You can still hit 100k but it requires DRASTIC change and BOLD action.

I hate to say it but this is almost Action Faking rather than Action Taking. Almost. You are taking action, which is excellent and I commend you, but it is the wrong action on the borderline of self sabotage. I want to see you get out of this mode because I honestly believe from what you identified that you know the right thing to do.
  1. Stop trying to sell this dog jacket
  2. Find affordable and scalable pet products
  3. Market those
You know that others are eating your market with cheap products and they are successful at it. You can find same/similar products, copy their marketing, and at least be equivalent which buys you time to focus on Brand building. Just a thought. You have the other pieces there. I am still rooting for you, but you need to course correct in a hurry!

i will get into importing eventually just not at this current moment, about to move provinces shortly.

funny thing just saw someone walk by with the same dog toy im trying to sell lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.