The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 websites that make a couple bucks a day or more?

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
The effort required to manage that amount of websites, for that type of return (or increasing the return) wouldn't be worth the effort at all.

I know people do\try to do that, but I really haven't heard many 'after' stories. Just the 'before' of starting to try it. No saying it's not possible, but I truly can't see how it'd be worth the amount of time invested.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Is having 100 girlfriends or wives acceptable? Or do you think that each of them would feel cheated? The Fastlane objective is to explode net income and asset value -- if you have 100 businesses, you probably will build weak assets because your efforts are scattered. (This is Chapter 43 -- polygamy vs monogamy).

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
Is having 100 girlfriends or wives acceptable? Or do you think that each of them would feel cheated? The Fastlane objective is to explode net income and asset value -- if you have 100 businesses, you probably will build weak assets because your efforts are scattered. (This is Chapter 43 -- polygamy vs monogamy).

I gotcha. Your book just arrived today so I havent made it that far yet!! I'll continue the reading tonight.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Unless you have a scalable system for throwing down websites quickly that are cash positive......of course, if you did have such a system, fastlane would be selling that system to the masses....and then books, videos, webinars, certifications, consulting, coaching, etc. ......Think Big!

Main point......if you think 100 websites is the way, take action. Get to doing something. Don't let others talk you out of getting started. They can talk you out of it and into something else AFTER you get started. Setting up 100 websites that make a few bucks would definitely then qualify you to guru status which you can leverage to all of the things listed above......Think Big!

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
One way it could work is if the sites were all related. For example all of them were highly targeted niche sites about investing.

That way you could build a list on all the sites and there would be synergies between the sites... fastlane may be that the sum is greater than the parts.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
if you had to manage them all independently, I agree, that would be an awful time sink.

However, we run three separate webstores all built off the same backend. So the master database has all the products and the stores have their niches.

Of the three stores, none of them display ALL the products. There is some overlap from store to store, but not much.

We market them each differently, but they all have the same single point backend, all the orders go into the same single page, are processed by our single order processing staff and etc.

Sooo, in that sense, they all chip in incrementally to make the total take good. However, they DO require 3 separate promotion plans, so that takes some extra time.

It works well for us. Couldn't imagine running more than a handful like this, but if you found a way to do it, and it brought some value to a customer - would likely be more profitable to sell the system than the products on the sites....

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
A big thing i learned here, do one thing and do it best. As entrepreneurs we always have ideas and want to execute, it is so difficult to do only one thing but we must.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
Do one thing and learn to do it really really well. Put all your energy and focus into it with a passion. Having 100 projects doing measly money is measly business. Just my 2 cents

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
yes its possible and its a very good business plan

Apparently you guys have never heard of micro niche adsense sites...this is the exact method and there are people making high 6 figures with this on auto pilot...once the site is researched and built...you either leave it and concentrate on ranking it or set it to automatically update itself from a source you determine...a few guys i know have 300+ sites and the goal is to make a buck or 2 a day with each site from adsense and then have either a cpa offer or amazon affiliate link which could be $10-50/per sale...these guys consistently make 300-1k/day...thats a nice piece of change on auto pilot...the key is to master keyword research and seo

theBiz

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Jul 9, 2009
NY
i have heard of it and im sure he has as well but that is just chasing money. That is not a real business it is purely based off of seo? it does not seem like a stable business it can fall apart at any time, and who would ever buy a business like that, you can not expand on it and such. Basically it provides no value, solves no problem, and will only last so long. I can do alot of things today to make some money but thats not why we are all here.

michaelscheuren

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 5, 2008
Escanaba, Michigan
The first thing that came to mind when I read this was "One trick pony". Find ONE thing (solve a problem, fill a need etc) and do it to the BEST of your ability! "Impact millions and you'll make millions" IMHO, you will be able to do that easier by focusing on one thing rather than 100.

Just my .02

Michael

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I dunno guys, I agree with what everyone is saying, and it's spot on.

BUT, actually going through the motions and building 100 affiliate sites is like graduating from college almost... it's how I learned, and those sites make me money every single day no matter what I do.

Arguably, the sites probably do not make enough to justify my time investment, but to me, I was building something and it gave me wings for next hurdle so to speak.

Following along with the fastlane points, you're not going to get rich and retire off those first hundred sites, but if you didn't know how to ftp files like I didn't, it was good experience.

I'm sure the boss man will be cussing me for saying this, but that's ok cuz I like it and everyone learns more when that happens usually, myself included... AND I DO understand the points of, if you had focused the same amount of time on building one asset, you'd be further along. Or, the same amount of effort much more tightly focused in one area would yield greater results.

Maybe when I'm financially retired my viewpoint will have come full circle. (keep in mind, the boss man IS retired, and IS a multi millionaire, while I am not. I point this out specifically, because I think there is more to learn here, as many people will follow similar paths out of naivety)

I suppose I'm just torn because of the path I came down, and a lot of my mistakes turned out to be irreplaceable learning.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
Well, I'm gonna have to stand up in front of the group and say, "My name is Bob, and I am a website addict."

I have nearly 130 sites now. All but a handful are auto content sites, and they do spit out a few dollars a day without me doing anything.

Apparently you guys have never heard of micro niche adsense sites...this is the exact method and there are people making high 6 figures with this on auto pilot...once the site is researched and built...you either leave it and concentrate on ranking it or set it to automatically update itself from a source you determine...a few guys i know have 300+ sites and the goal is to make a buck or 2 a day with each site from adsense and then have either a cpa offer or amazon affiliate link which could be $10-50/per sale...these guys consistently make 300-1k/day...thats a nice piece of change on auto pilot...the key is to master keyword research and seo

Oh...you mean a few bucks per site!?! I thought you meant altogether. Actually, this month has been really good, and I'll be lucky to hit the $250 mark for the month.

But that's without doing anything on the sites. No SEO. No blogging. Nothing. They just send me AdSense revenue and an occasional Amazon sale.

I have to agree with Mtnman though. I am REALLY learning a lot. Every day, I feel I know more and more about site building and SEO. My newer sites are totally different than my old sites. All original content. Clean look. Linking, etc. But not a dime in sales.

To be fair, my sites were doing pretty well before Google Mayday hit. Things are always changing.

So, if you feel building you those 100 sites will help you learn, build them. If you think they'll make you $1 million this year, forget it.

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
well i see everyone here has subscribed to the idea of picking one thing and trying to do it better than anyone else...but there is also a saying that goes "dont put all your eggs in one basket"...there can be an argument made for diversification because lets face it...how many of us will actually do 1 thing so extraordinarily well that it will catapult us to great wealth?...and then what happens when u put all ur time and money into this only to flop or fail...it can be devastating...Im 35 and it has happened to me twice...my whole life has been chasing the fast lane to wealth but those ventures have kinda petered out...what keeps me and my family fed and living good and driving good are my varied investments...rental properties, a barbershop, equity trading, and most importantly - my online income

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
There is something sort of 'romantic' about the idea, really. That you personally crafted so many things that constantly reward you, even should that reward be insignificant per result.

I don't really have a vote to cast in either direction of it being a good idea, many good points were already made in both directions of it. If it's something you really want to do, and you aren't expecting the world as a result for it, then I don't see any reason not to do it.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
well i see everyone here has subscribed to the idea of picking one thing and trying to do it better than anyone else...but there is also a saying that goes "dont put all your eggs in one basket"...there can be an argument made for diversification because lets face it...how many of us will actually do 1 thing so extraordinarily well that it will catapult us to great wealth?...and then what happens when u put all ur time and money into this only to flop or fail...it can be devastating...Im 35 and it has happened to me twice...my whole life has been chasing the fast lane to wealth but those ventures have kinda petered out...what keeps me and my family fed and living good and driving good are my varied investments...rental properties, a barbershop, equity trading, and most importantly - my online income

Maybe it's just my age showing, but my answer to that is "Either retailor the one thing until I am the best at it, or move on to a different plan." I got a few backup ideas I really like... If my current plans peter out, I'll get right on them. If it fails, I'll get on them much slower.

So I guess I don't go with the one thing only sentiment, but more like one thing at a time sentiment.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I
BUT, actually going through the motions and building 100 affiliate sites is like graduating from college almost... it's how I learned, and those sites make me money every single day no matter what I do.

I suppose I'm just torn because of the path I came down, and a lot of my mistakes turned out to be irreplaceable learning.

bflbob said:
I have to agree with Mtnman though. I am REALLY learning a lot. Every day, I feel I know more and more about site building and SEO. My newer sites are totally different than my old sites. All original content. Clean look. Linking, etc. But not a dime in sales.

I don't think anyone here was recommending not making websites. At the same time though, it's also worth pointing out it'd be a futile long term goal.

I'll be the first to tell people they should learn to make websites. I won't lie and say making 100 websites will be more learning than 10 websites though. I've been done the road of 'make a lot of something' and it really equates to get to the point I understand, call it good enough, and start the next one. Minimal learning in that.

exon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 29, 2009
Croatia
This model also has a value - helping others to make more money through advertising. Also it can be a one business with 100 web sites.

The advantage of this model is that there are more baskets for eggs.

But, if you do only one business and kick a$$ at it - You will produce a few more baskets, like it or not. You can't make just one thing. Everything has a by-product. If that is just a waste - sell it. "The Millionaire Fastlane " is also byproduct.

If you have only one wife and she is happy and satisfied, she will listen to you when you offer her your byproducts. Even you will not have to look for her - she is ready and waiting to hear what you have to say.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
When I started my 100+ websites, it was with the goal of making $1/site/day on average.

The sales pitch to me was that they would rank somewhere in the top few pages of Google, not always #1.

All I needed was 20-25 visitors with a 4% CTR to get a click per day on a $1 AdSense ad.

If I sold something through Amazon, that was going to be gravy.

Right now, 32% of my sites are on the front page of Google. 65% are in the first 5 pages.

I manage to get 20-25 visits/day on only a handful of the sites. I'm lucky to get that many in a month for most.

My CTR is closer to 3% than 4%. And many of the clicks are for $.10 or less, not $1.

All said, a disappointment.

Now for the good part...

• I've learned a lot about WordPress
  • I've learned about FTP
  • I've learned basic HTML
  • I've learned a bit about how to keep Google happy
  • I've learned how to do keyword research REALLY well
  • I've found some real gems in those 100+ sites

A future project will be to take those gems and build them out. I'll likely drop most of the duds.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I should add a few things from my own experiences...

Bob said something that made me realize one point... the context I'm mentioning is only worthwhile and ultimately only makes sense if you're going to do something bigger with your knowledge. If you don't have a plan to use your knowledge and experience and keep progressing, this probably is a waste of time.

130 sites for $250/mo Bob? Holy christ!!! Do you have epn & cpa accounts? What kind of hosting do you have and what tools are you using? Send me an email

Additionally, you're not going to make any money with autoblogs and adsense, unless a) you really know what you're doing, or b) you have a quality front end site with a shit ton of domain authority, and an autoblog on the back end somewhere.

Typically, you need original content, deep links, and so on... or ultra thin sites with profile links churning out 100's of these little bastards. MJ will be totally right when he comes in here and says this is not a solid business model and too many OTHER companies control multiple pieces of your pie.

"you're not impacting millions with your 100 websites, so why should you deserve to make millions"?

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
I was looking for all of your opinions on this idea and I that is what I've got. Thank you. Without a unique idea for a website I just saw niche websites with affiliate marketing and ppc as a way to generate an online income. Its so easy to believe all the hype seen on the internet marketing websites (WF). Guys saying "just build it they will come ". Throw some articles on there and some backlinks and your on page 1 they say.

Thanks flbob for laying it out there where you are in your online business. Sounds like getting rid of the duds would be the way to go, then you could focus on your winners. You might make a few bucks getting rid of them on auction?

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
bflbob’s post was RIGHT on THE MONEY imho.

Look at it this way, if you are going to invest in RE are you only going to look at one house to buy? NO, you will (probably should) look at 100, write up the numbers on 10, and make an offer on ONE.

I consider myself lucky b.c. I figure out what type of sites I want to build and sell (in my niche, one area I know well) but I had to CONSIDER 100 different niches before building my first site.

Law of averages can work to your side, as long as you know when to start doubling down and where to cut your losses on the losers.

max momo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 15, 2008
California
btw, blfbob –

Of your 100+ sites, how/why did you pick those 4 to be in your sig line?

Already the best flowthrough/hits or some other metric?
Currently underperforming but with most potential to turnaround?
Bulk up traffic to resell?

Just curious…

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
btw, blfbob –

Of your 100+ sites, how/why did you pick those 4 to be in your sig line?

Already the best flowthrough/hits or some other metric?
Currently underperforming but with most potential to turnaround?
Bulk up traffic to resell?

Just curious…

As I recall, they were the first 4 I set up.

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
When I started my 100+ websites, it was with the goal of making $1/site/day on average.

The sales pitch to me was that they would rank somewhere in the top few pages of Google, not always #1.

All I needed was 20-25 visitors with a 4% CTR to get a click per day on a $1 AdSense ad.

If I sold something through Amazon, that was going to be gravy.

Right now, 32% of my sites are on the front page of Google. 65% are in the first 5 pages.

I manage to get 20-25 visits/day on only a handful of the sites. I'm lucky to get that many in a month for most.

My CTR is closer to 3% than 4%. And many of the clicks are for $.10 or less, not $1.

All said, a disappointment.

Now for the good part...

• I've learned a lot about WordPress
  • I've learned about FTP
  • I've learned basic HTML
  • I've learned a bit about how to keep Google happy
  • I've learned how to do keyword research REALLY well
  • I've found some real gems in those 100+ sites

A future project will be to take those gems and build them out. I'll likely drop most of the duds.

this is a very wise strategy...the key to micro-niche sites is keyword research and volume...building 100+ websites IS the ONE idea...and it can be viable long term...the internet is about disseminating information and as long as you continue to do just that...someone somewhere will be interested in what u have to say and pay you for it...i will be honest...the adsense payouts have decreased as the landscape has become more competitive but the beauty of it is...you can use ur fastlane principles of "doing one thing really well" and focus on making ur sites better and more informative than ur comps...once established...ur sites will make u money on autopilot (true autopilot meaning hands off except paying hosting fees every year) and to be honest...it cant get any better than that...i currently have sites promoting cpa offers that make me money day in and day out with out lifting a finger and the payments are sent directly to my bank account that automatically withdraws my mtg payment...for most people this is the definition of success/wealth or whatever...(unfortunately im not satisfied...damn ambition...lol)

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
Well, seeing that I have time on my hands now that my busy season is over I have decided to put up a few amazon affiliate sites just to get my feet wet. I have one up and running and have posted a couple articles to ezine for links. I have 3 more which I have hosted but i am still working on content for . I will also submit a couple articles each for these other sites when they are done.

I figured I will put up one more for a total of 5 sites and then I will focus more on SEO. At this point each new site is only costing me the domain cost, but I can see article and content writing is getting old already, so I may outsource that out. I have seen some US article writers for $10 per article. Im still new to this, so I am sort of winging it with what I have read online so far.

So that is where I am in the affiliate marketing process. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my next steps should be?

Boo Blizzi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 3, 2009
shop around for ur articles...do not pay 10 bux for them...thats for sure

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Hundreds of related sites as JonLee suggests is a viable option for list building. There are a number of systems out there that do just this. Keep in mind though - the guy who developed the system is the one makinging the big bucks, not the ones building all the sites.

As far as management, again if you can systematize it, it can be done with very little effort. Choosing the right platform to build on is an important part of the puzzle.

A

Anon3587x

Great metaphor.

Love your business like your making love to it every night.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.