The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 mph - 0

Sparlin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 23, 2009
Wichita, Kansas
It sounds like you are on the right track. As for not knowing anything about computers, there are people here that do. That being said, from what I know this is not a place for a free ride. You'll get encouragement, advice, and make friends here, but you are expected to do your share.

Don't be afraid to ask (I don't think you are), read up on past Threads, and gain a general knoweldge of your endeaver. For example, I've heard that 1 & 1, Liquid Web, and Palmera Tech are good web services. I went to their sites and read up on them. There is advice here on Adsense, look it up. In other words, you'll get pointed in the right direction, just take the steps. Apart from feeling good about your accomplishments, you will have a first hand knowledge that will help you address problems as they arise. All the above is just my opinion, I'll step aside and let the experts advise.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
kolwdwrkr said:
There's no sooner time then tomorrow.
Time for a big change for you.

Remove the word "tomorrow" from your daily vocab for a week (I'm serious).

Focus on TODAY.

TODAY.

TODAY.

TODAY.

Even if it's friggin' 11:59 pm--until you fall asleep--it's still TODAY.

You'll never know if you'll have a tomorrow.

Make TODAY count.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Updates?

-Russ H.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
Russ, There isn't any progress. I'm still unemployed. The house foreclosed and I moved into a rental. I am doing an extreme amount of labor in order to keep the rent down, and it still isn't affordable. I am redoing the entire sprinkler system in the back yard as well as replacing the fence. In the front yard we are removing hedges and reseeding grass, and will eventually plant flowers.
That's just the begining and I am only saving 400 a month for 6 months. Then it goes back to regular rates. I don't know what I am going to do if I can't get a job soon.
The website idea is still in my mind but I have no one to help me on it. Being so busy trying to keep my end of the lease agreement as well as trying to make items to sell has basically kept me from pursuing it. I am making canes, yoyos, carvings, etc to try to bring in some money. The stuff isn't selling.
I have another website idea that is much smaller and more maneable then the other, but still, without knowing what to do and having no time it's seemingly impossible to pull myself out of this huge ditch. In fact I feel like I'm digging it deeper.
I don't know how to move forward from here. Nobody seems to be hiring and if they are they aren't hiring someone with my experience. It's getting old real fast not having an income. I feel helpless. :smxE:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
kolwdwrkr said:
Russ, There isn't any progress. I'm still unemployed. The house foreclosed and I moved into a rental. I am doing an extreme amount of labor in order to keep the rent down, and it still isn't affordable. I am redoing the entire sprinkler system in the back yard as well as replacing the fence. In the front yard we are removing hedges and reseeding grass, and will eventually plant flowers.
That's just the begining and I am only saving 400 a month for 6 months. Then it goes back to regular rates. I don't know what I am going to do if I can't get a job soon.
The website idea is still in my mind but I have no one to help me on it. Being so busy trying to keep my end of the lease agreement as well as trying to make items to sell has basically kept me from pursuing it. I am making canes, yoyos, carvings, etc to try to bring in some money. The stuff isn't selling.
I have another website idea that is much smaller and more maneable then the other, but still, without knowing what to do and having no time it's seemingly impossible to pull myself out of this huge ditch. In fact I feel like I'm digging it deeper.
I don't know how to move forward from here. Nobody seems to be hiring and if they are they aren't hiring someone with my experience. It's getting old real fast not having an income. I feel helpless.
The first, most massive (and yet, the most simple) change is YOUR ATTITUDE.

So here's your exact same response, with an optimistic/take control attitude:

NEW kolwdwrkr said:
Russ, There has been lots of progress on all fronts. I'm still unemployed, but working at developing leads for short term work and thinking about my long term goals (and how to incorporate work that I love).

The house foreclosed and I moved into a rental, so I no longer have that hanging over my head. What a relief!

I was able to negotiate my rent down (cool, eh?) by doing some manual labor-- I'm saving $400 a month, which right now is enormous-- and I'm putting my free time (er, unemployed time) to good use. Some of the stuff: I'm redoing the entire sprinkler system in the back yard as well as replacing the fence. In the front yard we are removing hedges and reseeding grass, and will eventually plant flowers. At the very least, we're improving the curb appeal big time and I might even get some work from the neighbors who like what they see!

So it's all good, at this point. :)

And that's just the beginning-- I have this deal for 6 months ($2400 in reduced rent)-- then it goes back to regular rates. That gives me plenty of time to either move again (find another fixer?), or by then I'll have more coming in and it won't be a problem! :thumbsup:

I've thought more about the website idea is still in my mind but haven't done much work on it-- too busy doing the repairs and getting this place in shape. I figure if I can get 6 months of this fixer work done NOW (in a month and a half), I'll have that much more time to work on this.

I'm also making canes, yoyos, carvings, etc to try to bring in some money. This isn't the kind of stuff people knock down your door to buy, so I'm going to local farmer's markets and street fairs (sharing booth space to keep the price down and splitting the profits w/the booth holder). Since that season is just starting, we'll see what's hot, and what's not-- and I'll make more of the hot stuff! :greenapple:

I have another website idea that is much smaller and more maneable then the other, and could be implemented much faster/cheaper. I'm going to post some q's to the forums for help on this in a few weeks once I have the fix up work done.

Come to think of it, I'll post it sooner-- as soon as I have 30 minutes of time where I'm not falling asleep from being so dog tired from working!

I'm making plans and feel good (working outdoors is great for getting in shape). While I haven't seen a whole lot of hiring going on, I realize that I am the key to getting myself out of this mess- not anyone else.

So I'm working at doing different things, scouting out different opportunities for short term work-- or even long term stuff that could use my talents.

Bottom line, I feel hopeful. :thumbsup:

Same stuff.

Different point of view.

Very powerful, if you buy into it heart and soul.

-Russ H.

PS Read the two quotes above. Which guy would YOU want to hire?

neverfastenough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Jul 17, 2008
Ca
Kolwdwrkr,

You had mentioned that you wanted to design a website that had a section where you needed to login. You might want to check out Build a Website - Squarespace . I haven't really tried it out that much, but it seems very intuitive and easy for a novice use. They have a free trial, so you can get started and see if it will solve your needs.

Hope this helps,

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Have you placed an ad on Craigslist extending your woodworking services to whomever might need it? You've got a skill that I imagine is in demand on some level, especially since you live in Orange County where there would be demand (big expensive houses)

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
You just have to keep trying until you get it.

Seriously, if you want this bad enough, it will come. But, for every 5 minutes you're putting in right now, put in 10!

I understand what it's like to feel like shit and can do nothing, but sympathizing with you about it is not going to change that. I know it's paralyzing, but you have to make a short list of the next 5 things that will take you closer to where you need to go and start making them happen one by one. (small things build momentum too, even if it doesn't seem like it)

So, what will change this, is moving on to the next best option. Craigslist was a good idea. I'm sure you can do something with that. Dude, pound the pavement if you have to.

These people that say they won't hire you because you have too much experience.... have you gone and gotten in their faces? Don't call them, go talk to them! Show them that you're hungry. If you have to, tell them that you know you're over qualified, but you work hard, could possibly help them with advancing their skilled services in the future, and most importantly, YOU WANT THIS F*ckIN JOB!

I'm not kidding.

Don't feel helpless unless you have exhausted every possible option you can.

If we are still breathing, we always have options. options = choices. :)

You can do it!

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I think you have some good ideas going there. I would first test the waters to see if there is a market for training videos and such. I'm guessing that if there were a lot of new workers in need of training being hired on at cabinet companies, that you wouldn't be having so much trouble finding a job, eh? That's not to say that there is NOT a market for them. Just ask around before you invest too much into the project.

So how do I get all of this going. I will need a website and someone that knows how to manage it. (I have one but my ex-wife has all the info and software for it and won't take time to discuss it).
You don't "need" a website, IMO, to employ your craft or even market it. Would it be helpful? Probably. But don't let that stop you. Regardless, you don't have to wait for your ex- to discuss it with you. You can literally get one set up within a few hours (or less!) with little to no financial investment.

I am doing an extreme amount of labor in order to keep the rent down, and it still isn't affordable. I am redoing the entire sprinkler system in the back yard as well as replacing the fence. In the front yard we are removing hedges and reseeding grass, and will eventually plant flowers.
That's just the beginning and I am only saving 400 a month for 6 months.
So what IS the rent there. Geez! You're installing a sprinkler system, replacing the fence and re-landscaping the place for $400/mo? That's nuts! Kudos to you for jumping in there to do what you can. BUT, if you are capable of doing all those different kinds of manual labor, there is work to be had in different parts of the country. It may just be temporary, but I think it should be a serious consideration. People who live in a severely depressed area often forget that there is life outside of that region.
I am making canes, yoyos, carvings, etc to try to bring in some money. The stuff isn't selling.
So find out what IS selling and do that instead! I'm sure you know the definition of insanity, "doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results". Change your tack.
Nobody seems to be hiring and if they are they aren't hiring someone with my experience.
So don't tell them what your experience is. "Dumb-down" your resume if you have to just to get income. It's all temporary.
I feel helpless
I've been there. Most of us have. So nobody here is discounting the frustration that you are feeling. It's real. Only you can change your feelings though. Along the lines where Russ was going, you must stop the fatalistic analysis of your plight. To quote Tony Robbins, "The quality of your life comes down to the quality of the questions that you're asking yourself." Ask yourself empowering questions such as, "What can I learn from this?" , "How can I turn this into an opportunity?", "Where does my passion and the world's need intersect?", "IS there a market for my craft right now? If not, what else can I do in the meantime?" etc.

When I get mired down in a good ol' funk, I always ask myself, "Self, what would you counsel someone else to do, if they were in this situation?" It's easier to see things clearly when you aren't in the middle of them. The guy in the pressbox has a more objective perspective than the guy on the field. He can see holes opening on the line that are harder to see from the players on the ground. So step back and ask yourself, "If a young apprentice (or a son or nephew or whatever) came to you for advice, what would you tell him to do? My husband is even trained now to ask me, "What would you tell [one of my proteges] to do in this situation?" Suddenly, I'm empowered as an expert with ideas and suggestions again!! It's almost funny sometimes. He always laughs at my sudden burst of energy and creativity, where moments before there was none.

Sidebar: I'm still not sure exactly what you do. I, personally, would not buy hand-carved wood art. But if I had the means, I would love to have my study and home office crafted in rich hardwoods. For instance, I've ordered several pieces from Enkeboll Designs, even tho I think they're ridiculously overpriced. Is this the kind of work you do?

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
Hey guy,

I was right where you are a few years ago.

I owned a duplex that the roof collapsed and ended up foreclosing and filing bankruptcy.

I lost a decent JOB. Lived off my 401k money while I tried many different things.

I have a fitness background so I went all out in sales and services. Very cut throat business. I was too hungry to make it work. the hungry don't get fed in sales.

I worked for 11.00/hr doing house framing for a few months to slow down the leak of my savings. This was just before the housing collapse so business was good but starting to wane. As a kid I worked with my father building barns and storage sheds so I have some basic framing knowledge.

I was literally down to my last 500 dollars when i finally landed a job where I currently work in the field I know most about, retail/wholesale foods.

After all that my wife decides to divorce me.

I still didnt give up. I lived in a triple wide trailer and tried my hand a wood working but had no mentor so I gave that up and went with what I know. I threw myslef into my job and made every penny I could. It was commission based and I did extremely well and grew the accounts by 10%

I saved enough money to buy a modest house that I currently live in. I am now studying forex while I do enough at my job not to get fired. within six months I should be able to leave my job and trade currencies full time and have an unlimited earning potential.

Never ever give up!

I see the promised land. I won't lie to you. I just laid out the last ten years of my life here. But you can shorten the learning curve by coming here and implementing the ideas you get. I was the same age as you when this story began.

Maybe you could start a simple frame and trim business. Or subcontract installations for one of the box stores like Home depot or lowes?

Options. Think what is possible even if its only a shit job. Something better will come along.

StreetsofSilver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 4, 2008
PA
Most of the things that I was going to suggest were already mentioned by Sparlin. Great advice there.

Teaching a woodworking class is a really good idea. If there are no schools/vo-techs hiring for teachers - what is stopping you from starting your own class? You have a talent and should not waste it.

Maybe you could setup a table at a local flea market to get some sales for your work. Contact galleries, trade shows, etc. to see if they would be willing to sell your work out of their stores for a % of the sale.

Contact hotels, inns, lodges, universities, offices to see if they would like to contract to buy your work to decorate their rooms.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
Thank you everyone for your positive responses. I have to say that this is the only place that is willing to shake me and get me to stand up and take action. I frequent many woodworking sites (why not, it's my livelihood) and they seemingly kick you and tell you it's a shame. No advice, no sympathy. It's sad really.

I keep telling myself that I need to get away from negative people. They are keeping me down. But I end up there. I guess it's because I feel as though it's where I belong. I am a woodworker, and a damn good one. To answer a previous question here, yes I can carve Enkoboll products, and I can also design and carve my own. My main business was custom cabinetry. I made kitchens, baths, entertainment centers, etc. I also did millwork like crown and base, wainscotting, coffered ceilings, mantles, etc. I can design, build, stain/paint, and install anything under the sun, so long as it is made out of wood. Want a fence? I can do that to, and I'll even build and install the nicest hand carved gate you've ever seen. Sure it would take awhile, but it would get done.

I've always thought of myself an entrepreneur, but never had the support helping me achieve the different goals I had. I've designed things I could have patented, but didn't have the money for the patent, didn't have the people to help manufacture it, and didn't have the mental support to motivate me. It all goes hand in hand. That is what I need to change in my life. I stay focused on what I'm good at, and expect everyone else will help me with the rest. I have never been a take charge kind of guy, and I think that is why my business failed. I wanted to be a woodworker, and it kept me from being the owner and controlling things. When my ex left me she left me clueless. It's my fault because I should have educated myself in the manner.

The websites seem to be a joke. They are good ideas, and I think can bring in revenue. But I don't know what I'm doing. Can't afford to have it hosted or built for me, etc. So the chances are, just like my invention, I will sit here and it will pass. Someone else will do it, and get the glory. That's how it has always been for me.

With woodworking it is different. Everything I've made especially recently is my design. There isn't another like it. But there's no market for it either. It was said here in fact that the person wouldn't buy wood art. But would like cabinetry. That's where it all is, and that is where everyone goes. There are so many cabinet shops in Orange County it's unbelievable. You'd think, okay it's only one county. How many can there be? Try hundreds.

So where does that leave me? Right now I am busting my butt to keep my rent down. Which is BS but I have to do what I have to do. In the long run I could have done the same work and made quite a bit of money. It's not my niche. I'm not licensed for it. So the answer would be to move where I don't have to have a license for it. But what about my daughter? What about my girlfriend and her two kids? Will I have work lined up when I get to the destination? It's very difficult to just say I'm leaving. My brother did it, and he misses his kids dearly and is trying his best to save up enough money to move back. He essentially wasted his time and money moving away.

I will keep trying. Keep trying to move forward with a somewhat positive attitude. That is all I can do. I don't have money to give for anything, to start anything, or to move away. I need a job first so I can save up. A gentleman came over today to discuss a painting position for me, but wants to try to sell my work instead. He moved back from NY and was in the mortgage industry. It has slowed down for him and now he wants to restart his painting company. But is having second thoughts seeing my work, and my license. I think he wants to sell work under my license. I'm not sure that is a good idea either. But at this point in time I don't care. If I get some money out of it I'm fine. Work. Money. That's what I need to focus on. Everything else should be irrelevant until I'm out of my situation.

Again you folks are amazing. The answers here are very inspiring and thoughtfull. Can they help me? I think the upbeat optimistic attitudes will help me tremendously alone. So everything else is icing on the cake.

I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier. I didn't get the e-mails that come with each response for some reason. I only thought Russ responded, and I responded to him. I will try to keep up with this forum more, as well as read more threads here to get some ideas.

Thanks.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Just wanted to clarify a small point. When I said that I wouldn't buy hand-carved wood art, I was referring to a wall-hanging or sculpture or such. I didn't however, mean to imply that the cabinet work you do is NOT art! Anyone who can design and create pieces like those produced by Enkeboll is to my mind and artist. Can you do them for less than they charge? Because if you can, I think there is a market in the high-end residential construction business for you. I know there's probably not a lot of that going on in your neighborhood. But they're still building them here! Just a thot.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did you do as I suggested? Place an ad on Craigslist? I will speculate that you did not. I will argue that there is plenty of need for your services, you just aren't willing to find it. You see, it is easier to conclude that "the market sucks", or "my services aren't in need", or "I have no money" than to actually go out and pound the pavement with a steady dose of hard work vs hard excuses. Sorry for the tough love but you live in the land of opportunity. There is no excuse except excuses. Stand on the side of the road with one of your carvings -- MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN. Nothing happens sitting around complaining.

Here's a story of hard work and ingenuity ... and the "I have no money" excuse tossed out the window.

http://www.thefastlanetomillions.co...18519-started-small-company-winter-break.html

Things are what they are because you have allowed it and unless you change your mode of attack, they will continue.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
Jill, sorry for the missunderstanding. To me cabinetry isn't art, and that is where I got confused. Cabinetry is merely a box, that can be fluffed. Wood art to me is an artistic expression, just the same as a painting. You can see my wood art and the stories behind them at www.lumberjocks.com/kolwdwrkr. You can visit my etsy store at www.azuremoons.etsy.com. So that has been covered. I have posted the following on craigslist, as well as numerous others: finish carpentry/handyman
Woodworking
Canes, boxes, and more
And many more with titles like : finish carpenter/cabinet maker(under resume section), carpentry services offered, furniture/art, cabinetry/furniture, walking canes, etc.
I have also posted Handyman services and cabinetry services in Pennysaver USA. Keep in mind that I cannot pay for advertising at all. I have the etsy store, have an ad on diggerslist, have a ad on woodweb, have the lumberjocks account, have pieces displayed on www.woodcarversillustrated.com, www.finewoodworking.taunton.com/gallery, as well as have been trying to sell individual pieces through craigslist, adding my website and offering other pieces to of course.
It's impossible to compete with Enkoboll for various reasons. First off, to my knowledge only the original piece is hand carved, the rest are duplicated off of that one piece with a machine. Second, their services are well known world wide. Lastly, there are other sources that mimic their products for cheaper but out of stainable resin. Places like Pearlworks. (I have used pearlworks over enkoboll for the last 5 years and stained they look just as good.)
I'm really not trying to sit around. I'm trying to network and get my name out there. Literally thousands of people see my work on a day to day basis, I just think that it's the wrong audiance. The right audiance doesn't shop craigslist or pennysaver. They shop the magazines and advertising I cannot afford. Or they shop galleries. I don't think I have enough pieces to put up in a gallery, or the right type of pieces for that matter.
I'm sorry if it comes off like I'm lazy and just complaining. I guess that is all the negetivity that is radiating off of me. That is why I need to be around positive people. So I can change that attitude. I'll work on it.
Thanks guys/gals.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It's impossible to compete with Enkoboll for various reasons.

Impossible? Really? Change your language. It isn't impossible. Difficult, maybe. Impossible, no. The folks here are trying to drill down into your thought patterns which appear to be limiting your ability to take action. Because you believe it is impossible, you will take no action toward that end. While that might be justified, this is just one example on how your internal language will hinder progress.

Thanks for the update on your activities. You are out there and I commend you for that. Just keep the pressure on and know when to adjust/switch gears. If it isn't working, a slight tweak in the strategy might be necessary ...

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
It's impossible to compete with Enkoboll for various reasons.

No company started as big as they are now in day one!

To me personally, nothing is impossible in the business world. You either have to "be the first" or "catch up" in the race.

There are many businesses that co-exist and compete with each other head-on.
Coke vs Pepsi
Home Depot vs Lowe's
Nikon vs Cannon
YellowPages vs SuperPages
Yahoo vs Google

It doesn't matter who starts first, it does matters who reach the end first and keep up with it for the next race. It's up to you to take 1% of the market at a time.

My ex-company started zero and took down many huge competitors in matter of 3 years and became the top 3 in the industry world wide. Is that possible? yes.

1. Change your mindset.
2. Keep good faith on what you do.
3. Do your best

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
See!! The positive attitude is amazing. You take a negative remark and make me think about it. This site is great.
I really need to change my reasoning. I truly believe I've been drowned with negative vibes. Nothing has seemed positive as far as my financial situation. No jobs, no prospects, no sales. It's all frustrating, and to here the oh well it's happening to a lot of people has been effecting my motivation. I think this site will change that, that is if I can make it a part of my routine.
Thanks guys/gals

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
I think this site will change that, that is if I can make it a part of my routine.
I think what you meant to say there, is "if I choose to make it part of my routine."

Are you bidding new constructions jobs? I know there aren't a lot there. Did you see the map that Russ posted earlier this week?

I just did a quick search of new home starts that is updated monthly on the US Census site. There were 4 new SFH permits granted so far this year in your town; 21 in all of Orange County.

By comparison, just in my little town of 90K, there have been 163 so far this year.

I know you don't want to leave your beachside community in beautiful California, and uproot your kids from their schools, etc. BUT, you can't continue to say that there is not work to be had. If you can't find any other source of income where you are, then you don't have much choice but to go to where the work IS, do you?

I'm sure you would not make as much for your work as you do there, BUT you can get a 3-br apt in a nice area here for $7-800/mo if you want to bring the family and GF with you. If you just wanted to come test the market for yourself for a few months, you can get a 1-br for $400/mo. Cheaper in lesser neighborhoods of course.

I'm not recruiting you to move to North Texas! But, I am trying to point out that you aren't bound by your present circumstances, as you seem to think you are. You feel stuck. But you can change your reality by deciding to. It's all temporary. People move all the time.

kolwdwrkr

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 15, 2009
Laguna Hills, CA
Will my daughter think less of me? She lives with her mom and I spent 11 months fighting in court to get the visitations I have now. And it still doesn't seem like it's enough. If I move I leave her behind, as if I gave up. My girlfriend will lose her kids as well. They live with us so she earns support. Her ex has guarenteed a fight in court to keep the kids in CA and without money for a lawyer, he will win. Am I (are we) supposed to give up our responsibilities as parents and move away from them? What if moving doesn't change anything? Maybe moving will actually hurt me more mentally because all I can afford is a trailor? I know it seems odd, but I grew up in a trailor, and when you are in that realm, you don't change. You live day to day with the mentality that nothing will change. That's where I am now. But I did change that mentality. I was in a trailor and faught my way out of it, all the way up to a 4 bedroom with a pool. The struggles and hardwork seem to have been for nothing. All the years of hard work gone in less then 8 months. It has been devestating to me. I'm going backwards, and that doesn't make sense.
In order for me to move I need the ability to move all of my belongings and all of my tools. That will take a few thousand dollars. Then I will need a security deposit and the first months rent in a place with a garage big enough for all my tools so I can start to work. So an apartment is out. I can't rent a shop. If I had the money to do all of that it would make sense for me to just advertise with that money, or use it towards the rent and child support while I figure things out. Lets say I move. Are there jobs in smaller towns? I couldn't just start a business. I would need to build a reputation and have leads. Why go with a new guy when they know Joe personally?
I am trying to think logically. So logically if I try to stay in the industry it makes sense to me to get some sort of job here, maybe a night position. Then I can advertise my furniture and artwork nation wide. It is easier for me to build from the garage I am set up in now, and ship anywhere, then it is to move and risk not getting work. Right? I mean, aren't I going to be advertising nation wide anyhow? So at that point it doesn't matter where I actually conduct the business.
So the first thing I need to do is generate an income. Even if it's $10 an hour. I need to make the rent payment, as well as child support. Then I need to spend all my extra time making pieces that I can advertise. Build my portfolio. I have an excellant portfolio for cabinetry, but not for furniture and art. Then I need to market to galleries not only here, but everywhere. If I call 50 I may get into 1. And that will be luck.
Then I need to save up and try to get into some of these shows. Laguna Beach has the Sawdust Festival where I can set up a booth. But I need things to sell first. Then there are the Fairs I can set up in. I need something to show there to, which I have, but can't afford the cost of admission.
I have a line of ideas on what I need to do. Just not how to do it. I did meet with a guy yesterday, I think I mentioned it, that wants to help me get work and sell my work. Hopefully that will lead somewhere. I also had a guy call about needing a fence. LOL. It will be my first fence, but it's woodwork. So it should be easy for me. Hopefully I will get that.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I'm not recruiting you to move to North Texas! But, I am trying to point out that you aren't bound by your present circumstances, as you seem to think you are. You feel stuck. But you can change your reality by deciding to. It's all temporary. People move all the time.

I have been stood up by two plumbers and two electricians in the last week. I can't find the people to do the jobs that I need done right now. This is in North Texas.

As far as moving your equipment. Buy a used trailer, move your stuff, sell the trailer, get your money back.

Could you sleep in the office of your shop?

Or offer a few bucks to people that are taking trips to carry your stuff and deliver it. I think there are websites that coordinate this kind of stuff.

You are right, though, this place is an overload of creative solutions. Great place to hang.:cheers:

1mancrew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 11, 2009
Lake Worth
Glad to hear you are working on your thought process, it will make a difference in your life when you start making the change.

Tell the group what you can do right now. I keep reading what you can't do so let us hear what you can and build from there.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
What if moving doesn't change anything? Maybe moving will actually hurt me more mentally because all I can afford is a trailer? I know it seems odd, but I grew up in a trailer, and when you are in that realm, you don't change. You live day to day with the mentality that nothing will change. That's where I am now.
Dude, no offense, but I've spent a LOT of my life in trailers.

Lived in a 14' travel trailer (7x12 on the inside) for my first years in CA (from 1984 to 1987).

You DO NOT have to buy in to the trailer park "I'm a victim" mentality.

I moved out, into sharing the top part of a duplex w/a roomate. THAT is how I got out.

You NEVER have to stay where you're at, unless you CHOOSE to do it.

You may (or may not) have seen the house we've lived in from 2003-2006:

Napa Valley Bed and Breakfast Inn, Old World Inn - Romantic Lodging

Then we bought a 2800 sq ft house across the street. Then we bought a 1200 sq ft house next to it. Then we bought an 1800 sq ft house next to *that* one.

And I didn't mention the 10,000 ft house we bought in 2005, before the house we're living in*.

You DO NOT have to live in a trailer park.

-Russ H.

PS Note that it took me more than 10 years of saving before I could afford my first house. And I had to relocate to be able to afford to buy one. So the props I mention above did not happen overnight-- it took years to build the equity to buy them.

* Should have mentioned-- we still own all 5 of these houses.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Will my daughter think less of me? She lives with her mom and I spent 11 months fighting in court to get the visitations I have now. And it still doesn't seem like it's enough. If I move I leave her behind, as if I gave up.
I am (unfortunately) VERY familiar with custody battles, and understand that the results can put real constraints on you. However, since you are not the primary, you aren't as constricted. You simply tell your daughter, "Sweety, more than anything in the world, Daddy wants to spend time with you and provide for you opportunities and a life that I didn't have growing up. So right now, just for the next few months, I may not get to see you QUITE as often a I want to because I'm going to be doing some work in another town, but we'll make up for it just as soon as we can because that's what means the most to me." She doesn't need the details of anything, and she doesn't need the guilt of "I'm just doing this for you", even tho to a large degree, I'm sure you are.

My girlfriend will lose her kids as well. They live with us so she earns support. Her ex has guarenteed a fight in court to keep the kids in CA and without money for a lawyer, he will win. Am I (are we) supposed to give up our responsibilities as parents and move away from them?
I'm not going to tell you what to do with your personal relationships. But I can tell you that 9 of the 11 years I've been with my (now) husband, I have travelled for work. I have literally spent over 150 nts/yr in a hotel, away from home. It's not for everyone, but I'm not getting the impression that you can be all that picky right now. Sorry to sound a little harsh, but if your desire to dig out of this pit is big enough, the facts don't count. You create your own new set of facts.

What if moving doesn't change anything? Maybe moving will actually hurt me more mentally because all I can afford is a trailor? I know it seems odd, but I grew up in a trailor, and when you are in that realm, you don't change. You live day to day with the mentality that nothing will change. That's where I am now.
That's history. Get over it.
But I did change that mentality. I was in a trailor and faught my way out of it, all the way up to a 4 bedroom with a pool.
so you can do it again.
The struggles and hardwork seem to have been for nothing. All the years of hard work gone in less then 8 months. It has been devastating to me. I'm going backwards, and that doesn't make sense.
You seem to think that the upward path to success is a linear one. It's not. It's more like a stock chart! You've taken a dip. That gives you the opportunity to look at it from a fresh new perspective. You've nowhere to go but up, from your description of it. Get started.

In order for me to move I need the ability to move all of my belongings and all of my tools. That will take a few thousand dollars. Then I will need a security deposit and the first months rent in a place with a garage big enough for all my tools so I can start to work. So an apartment is out. I can't rent a shop.
Jeez. So what WILL work? Runum gave you a great idea for the trailor or just leave your tools behind for now. So don't get an apartment. Look for someone who needs a roommate. If you even stood at the gas station with all the itinerant workers every morning, you could get $10/hr minimum, and once someone saw the quality of your work, your legitimate SSN and your command of the language, I'm quite certain you would be picked up for someone's permanent crew in a matter of days. Then stock shelves at night. In the meantime, walk around the nicer neighborhoods putting flyer on doors of houses that clearly have fences in need of repaid: "Will beat your best written offer." People in my neighborhood pay THOUSANDS for their fences.

If I had the money to do all of that it would make sense for me to just advertise with that money, or use it towards the rent and child support while I figure things out. Lets say I move. Are there jobs in smaller towns?
The small town I reference above is a suburb of Dallas. Yes, there are jobs. Unemployment is less than 4% in our town.
I couldn't just start a business. I would need to build a reputation and have leads. Why go with a new guy when they know Joe personally?
Dude, STOP IT! You gotta cut this can't and couldn't crap. It's holding you back. Stop telling us why you CAN'T just start a business? Start asking yourself, "So HOW COULD I start a new business now?" So start building a reputation and getting leads. So go to work for Joe on his crew for now. Gawd, you're killin me here.
So the first thing I need to do is generate an income. Even if it's $10 an hour. I need to make the rent payment, as well as child support.
Yes.
Then I need to spend all my extra time making pieces that I can advertise. Build my portfolio. I have an excellent portfolio for cabinetry, but not for furniture and art. Then I need to market to galleries not only here, but everywhere. If I call 50 I may get into 1. And that will be luck.
Instead of investing all your time into pieces that will require luck (your word) to sell, why don't you get the job first. Find out what people want before you build it. OK, I'm going to be a little direct again. They're called "starving artists" for a reason. You're trying to make a living from your art, when IMHO, you need to just be making a living. THEN you can get back to promoting your art, looking for distribution outlets for it. I'm sure there are artistic types on here that would disagree with me and tell you to follow your heart, do what you love at any cost, etc. But there's no law that says that following your heart has to cost you your house and car and dignity. It's possible to do both.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

There is nothing ''out there'' that's holding you down, - you are limiting yourself only with your own imagination. And your greatest limits are not even the ''cannot'' and the ''should not'', but the places where your imagination hasn't yet gone at all. There has never been a better time for you to open your eyes, let the imagination soar and see what more is possible.

1mancrew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 11, 2009
Lake Worth
Let me tell you what has happened in Texas for me in the last 5 months.
I live in Fort Worth and have a full time JOB that pays ok, but it was not enough. I love to garden and am handy at home repairs just like Runum (learned a lot from him growing up). I started just doing a few odd jobs for people repairing wood fencing, building flower beds, mowing yards, what ever came along. I got these jobs by saying yes and not trying to make a mint off of one job.
I have more work than I can keep up with now, so I use my oldest son to help me with the jobs. I have 2 ladies that own rental houses that call me first when they need repairs after people move out.
The key is I ALWAYS SAY YES, I CAN DO THE JOB! I working my butt off 7 days a week building extra income so I can invest for the Faster Lane.
Do I worry about that a ton of other people are doing the same work? NO, cause when I complete a job, I usually have already sold them on the next job.
I am not telling you to move to Texas, but if you can't make it there you got to do something.
Also, if you go up to a person to sell your work, you are selling you! If you are down and negative, people pick up on that and that makes it a hard sell. If you walk with a bounce in your step and hum a little song with a smile on your face, you will put off a positive energy.

I hope this helps.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I'm still in the shock mode of losing everything. From time to time I have a dream of a plan and it involves me, a little cabin, a shop in the back yard, and a fishing pole. Seems like everything in between has been left out.

1. Get over your shock!
2. Remove yourself from any and all emotional attachment you have with the event.
3. Find out what anyone can do to or get from you... due diligence! - Don't work until you KNOW this or work so each job pays you less than $600 (or whatever amount applies to where you are) from each and is not needed to report for tax purposes.
4. Formulate your plan. Trade skills you have for food, shelter, clothing, whatever.
5. Implement your plan.
6. Evaluate your plan regularly along the way.
7. Tweek if needed.

This post is speaking from experience. Our plan took 5 years from start to finish and the journey and the experience was life enhancing.

In reference to #3: What I mean by don't work is, "don't work for the money, or the income". You will want to be working so you can get what you need to go from where you are to where you wanna be... mentally, physically, emotionally.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.