The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Resource Based Economy

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
People in the Soviet Union created shit too, was it all done under fear of death? come on now...

In the soviet union, government officials enjoyed a substantially higher standard of living than the commoners. Those that were connected to the government, i.e. inventors and scientists, enjoyed the benefits of that association. There was therefore an incentive to be a scientist.

My statement applied one of the central assumptions of a resource based economy operating in a post scarcity world.

The soviet union was the exact opposite of a post scarcity civilization, hence my statement doesn't apply there.

In the post scarcity RBE, the ditch digger and the person who discover the cure to cancer get the same access to resources and luxuries. This is the image they portrayed in the Zeitgeist films (based on the RBE).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
In the soviet union, government officials enjoyed a substantially higher standard of living than the commoners. Those that were connected to the government, i.e. inventors and scientists, enjoyed the benefits of that association. There was therefore an incentive to be a scientist.

My statement applied one of the central assumptions of a resource based economy operating in a post scarcity world.

The soviet union was the exact opposite of a post scarcity civilization, hence my statement doesn't apply there.

In the post scarcity RBE, the ditch digger and the person who discover the cure to cancer get the same access to resources and luxuries. This is the image they portrayed in the Zeitgeist films (based on the RBE).

ok fine. post scarcity RBE doesn't sound realistic.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What do you think about Resource Based Economy (RBE)

It's literally communism repackaged for the 21st century.

Agree.

First let me say that the premises of RBE (and Jacques) is entirely rooted in some truths.

I've viewed his work (including Zietgeist) and actually agreed with many of his contentions.

We just don't agree on the solution which is full blown communism renamed to be more palatable.

It defies human nature, individualism, and our propensity for selfishness.

In his film (I think the third) he brings up the counterargument that RBE is communism, proceeds to make fun of the assertion, besmirching and making fun of those people who say that, and then proceeds NOT to argue why it isn't. In other words, he uses an ad hominem argument to dismiss the claim, and yet, offers no reasons or evidence it isn't.

In the post scarcity RBE, the ditch digger and the person who discover the cure to cancer get the same access to resources and luxuries.

Exactly. In truth, we'll probably never get the guy who cures cancer unless he is perfectly altruistic. Why should he create the cure? He's healthy, his fridge is full, his house is luxurious, and he has all the free time in the world. Will someone FORCE him to create the cure because he has the mental aptitutde?

The whole concept is utopian ridiculousness.

Again, I agree on the suppositions and the problems (see below) just not the solution.

[GALLERY=media, 79]Ecomonic Slavery Explained by MJ DeMarco posted Oct 9, 2017 at 7:13 PM[/GALLERY]

I think the food system is a mess. The cruel way that animals are caged up and pretty much tortured for their entire lives so that people can eat meat is an example of capitalism gone crazy.

This might shock some people here, but I agree.

And then the corporatocracy / oligarchy which controls the government shakes down anyone that tries to break the system. Just to give you an example, here's an example of someone trying to change the system and the government intervenes to protect the corporate interests, in this case, Big-Ag. (OMG, would you believe MJ the Fastlane capitalist actually DOES have concern for animal rights? This is why you cant let Scripted BS put you in a box and define what you think.)

(WARNING: Graphic)
The FBI’s Hunt for Two Missing Piglets Reveals the Federal Cover-Up of Barbaric Factory Farms

It just scares me how consumeristic our society has become.

True, but I believe it is changing. Big changes in culture don't happen overnight, they happen in small shifts as money starts to be reallocated toward consumer preferences. We see this already in the food industry (cruelty free, free range eggs, gluten free) housing industry (tiny houses) and overall, the frugality trend.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
The "tool bag" list in his graphic is a joke. Made me wanna throw up, honestly.

Me too, boss. People that come up with shit like this (I've seen the movies, btw), are always pretty confident of how moral they are.

Lists like this are floating around social media all the time selling some re-packed version of Marxism. They're always heavy in moral language. They're always heavy in terms like "reason" and "science", too. It always reminds me of a phrase the Tom Sowell coined: "Self congratulation as a basis for social policy".

The main driver for all of these ideas is, ironically, the sense of superiority people get from vocally supporting things like "equality" and "compassion". My personal experience that *most* of the people that bark the loudest for ideas like this actually do very little for others on a personal level. They'd do some super righteous shit with my money, though.... apparently.

EDIT: I know I've evangelized for Tom Sowell on this forum before, and I'll say it again... if you haven't read "Intellectuals and Society"... you should.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Fac
Confirmation bias. (the internet is essentially chicken little with this stuff)

Natural resource usage is down across the western world. Water use (a common metric used for overall consumption, as it takes water to make virtually everything) is down sharply in most of Europe. Germany is down 25% for example. The USA is down 5%

Worldwide population growth is half of what is was in 1970, and projected to be even or slightly negative by the year 2100. In fact, birth rates are below replacement levels in the US & Canada, all of Europe, Russia, Japan, Brazil, and China.

You can google all this and find I am right.

The sky is not falling.

Be the change you want to see in the world and all that, ya know? Maybe find a way resources can be saved and sell the solution...

Anyway, I'm out of this discussion. I've learned in the past that facts don't often change these kinds of opinions.

Facts are the only known predator of left wing fundamentalism.

The guy is a bit of a nut, and very little - if anything - he has idealised is even realistic, let alone possible. This extends all the way back to his insane aircraft designs back in the 1930s. For a guy who contemplates a utopian world based on a sharing economy and all this other hippy dippy nonsense, he has an extensive life long track record of not being able to collaborate with others.

This lack of collaboration led to him accomplishing literally nothing of note ever. He has a few grand ideas on paper, but no real tangible successes. In the fastlane equation he fails on his execution, which was non existent.

Worried about depletion of resources? Take a page out of Elon Musks "toolbag" and advance solarpower into something feasible.

Worried about car emissions damaging the air quality? Take a page out of Richard Bransons "toolbag" and invent/create a lower emission travel system(hyperloop).

Do something. Don't just talk about crazy ideas that will never work. Go do something tangible.

The biggest takeaway from this guys entire lifes work is that you should do exactly opposite of what he did, and actually take action and make change

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Worried about depletion of resources? Take a page out of Elon Musks "toolbag" and advance solarpower into something feasible.

Worried about car emissions damaging the air quality? Take a page out of Richard Bransons "toolbag" and invent/create a lower emission travel system(hyperloop).

Exactly.

Instead of someone "doing" we have someone "telling" which usually involves the moral superiority of telling others how to spend their money and their time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.