The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Health, Wealth, and Happiness (The Complete Entrepreneur)

Anything related to matters of the mind

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
A little over a year ago, I overhauled my life. This was not some heroic FU moment where I quite my job and struck-out on my own, but rather a realization that to even begin that path, I'd need to make major changes. I was a broken down pick-up truck trying to merge onto the Autobahn.

My old habits and routine had served a purpose, but I didn't like where it had taken me (even if that place was the envy of others). Bizarre how that's possible. Investment bankers can probably relate.

So I moved 500 miles away. The place I landed felt like where I had grown-up and I loved it. My commute dropped from 80 minutes to 15 minutes (and that commute now includes no middle-fingers). My daily schedule was mine to control. No more TV in my office, blaring whatever muck the news could dredge up. People actually take vacations (although it sometimes feels like the "hustle" is missing around town).

I began to realize that it was all connected. A short commute meant lower blood pressure and less fast food. Less fast food increased my energy levels, which in turn boosted my mental well-being. I became a better husband and father. My mental well-being reinforced that I could make my own fastlane. All of which lit a fire.

If you're feeling stuck - take a big step back and look at your life. Do you really need to lose 10 pounds, or get a different job, or shorten your commute, or is it something much, much bigger? Is it ALL of those things.

Some people say to make small changes over time and whittle away. For me - it was to go thermonuclear on my old life.

I've spent the better part of a year getting to this point. But after decades living the script, that's just the blink of an eye. Take however much time you need, but not more.

By the writings of Saint MJ as passed down through TMF and Unscripted , I finally "launch" next month which I hope is the next major chapter in this saga. Progress thread begins that day.

Have you radically changed your surroundings or lifestyle? How'd it work-out? What did you learn from it?

-PM

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

raddevon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 20, 2017
Seattle, WA USA
Four years ago, I was working for a school district in rural East Tennessee. After I left that job, I started doing web development which was more interesting work, made more money, and gave me more control over my life. I got a job offer from my favorite client and took it for even more money. As part of the negotiation, I asked to be able to move to Seattle and work remotely. They agreed.

I ran into some obstacles moving, but I'm now in Seattle, still working for the company that hired me in East Tennessee, still doing contract work on the side, and building a product business. My life is amazing now. The city gives me so much energy. I'm healthier and happier.

The biggest thing I learned is that you won't get anywhere asking permission to do what you want to do. I had no professional experience in web development before I started offering services. I would have had lots of trouble getting someone to hire me as an employee. Instead, I just started doing it and selling services directly to the people who needed it. Knowing I don't have to depend on someone allowing me to do what I want to do for a living is liberating. It's the most freedom I've felt in adulthood.

I enjoyed your writing style. It was a fun read. Glad things are going well for you.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Thanks for sharing your story @raddevon and really glad things are working out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.