The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm the guy who sold 100 ebooks in 4 years

Hylle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Hi everyone,

I'm an ex-addict who found a book on how to quit. When I found the book, I decided it was so awesome and one-of-a-kind that I contacted the author and negotiated for translation rights. I thought it was very valueable information that could change people's lives and help them a lot.

Now 4 years later I have sold just 100 ebooks. I've also lost control of the book now, as the original author no longer wants me to have the rights to sell it.

I've decided to move on now and find other ventures, but I wish I could learn more from this experience and find out what I did wrong. I think the product was truly life-changing in a very positive way, and one of a kind on the market.

My gut instinct is that I haven't marketed the book enough, but I am also thinking maybe the book just wasn't good enough.

I only used Adwords for when people searched for "how to quit xxx", and that's it. I was kinda naive maybe and dreaming the product would turn into a productocracy, since it was so good. So just an initial Adwords advertising was all that was needed.... damn. But I also hate being "that guy" who spams his product on his private social media account, and cold-calling institutions to advertise my product. I prefer the pull-way instead of the push way.

Maybe it's hard for someone outside to see what went wrong, but I'm confused if my product sucked or my advertising sucked.

But at least I never lost money on the venture, and hey, maybe I have a bit of productocracy still since I sold 1 book just this morning after a week of no advertising :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
I'm thinking you didn't market it well.

If the book is as good as you say (you did break your habit after all), then the problem isn't the product.

You used one marketing channel, with... one search term? Am I getting that correct?

You're misunderstanding the productacracy. You still have to do marketing. Customers won't just come to you.

You can have the greatest product in the world, but if no one knows it exists, then how are they going to throw their money at you?

I have a product that most people in my country have never heard of. But when they see it, they want it. I haven't even started manufacturing, and I have people telling me that they are saving up to buy one, and had 3 people in the last couple of days say they were "obsessed" with my product.

The difference in "pull" vs. "push" marketing, is that the goal of "pull" is simply product awareness. If you make your target market aware of the product, they will come to you. In "push" marketing, you make them aware of the product, and then you repeatedly drown them in advertising and coupons and offers and anything else you can do to convince them to buy your product, which really isn't any better than what anyone else is selling.

People can't buy what they don't know about.

Word of mouth advertising is exponential. When you have a certain number of customers, and a fantastic product, eventually, word of mouth business will be large, and you can sustain growth with little marketing. But a business doesn't start off this way. You have to have customers before you can have word of mouth.

But at least I never lost money on the venture, and hey, maybe I have a bit of productocracy still since I sold 1 book just this morning after a week of no advertising :)

But you've also spent energy over 4 years to make no money. I'd rather have spent 3 months on the project, lost money, and moved on, then dabble for 4 years and make a few hundred dollars.

Time > Money

Hylle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Thank you, that's sort of what I was thinking. Unfortunately I had in mind that you just needed a great product and customers would come flocking, I'm a big business noob.

I guess I wasted some 6 months translating in my spare time. I have also been pursuing a career in software development, and the book website has just been up tending itself. Only recently I have begun to think more about what went wrong with the business since I'm tired of 9-5 now and wish to be free.

In my new venture I will try to advertise more, I think I've realized that marketing is so important to grow a business now.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Welcome to the forum!

I've also lost control of the book now
Sadly, even though it seemed otherwise, you never had any real control of the book. Have you read "The Millionaire Fastlane "? If not, it would be well worth your while. The commandment of Control is a big part of a winning formula.

I've decided to move on now and find other ventures, but I wish I could learn more from this experience and find out what I did wrong.
Before you find other ventures, you should definitely read the book. (If you've already read it, it's probably worth another read). Here's why: It can be a huuuuuge help in helping you rule out ideas that are limiting our unlikely to succeed. I had quite a few failures before reading the book. And I do know this. If I'd read the book first, I'd have avoided a whole lot of work and frustration.

Good luck as you move forward!

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
What's the book that made you quit? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

Nily

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 27, 2016
Sydney
Hi everyone,

I'm an ex-addict who found a book on how to quit. When I found the book, I decided it was so awesome and one-of-a-kind that I contacted the author and negotiated for translation rights. I thought it was very valueable information that could change people's lives and help them a lot.

Now 4 years later I have sold just 100 ebooks. I've also lost control of the book now, as the original author no longer wants me to have the rights to sell it.

I've decided to move on now and find other ventures, but I wish I could learn more from this experience and find out what I did wrong. I think the product was truly life-changing in a very positive way, and one of a kind on the market.

My gut instinct is that I haven't marketed the book enough, but I am also thinking maybe the book just wasn't good enough.

I only used Adwords for when people searched for "how to quit xxx", and that's it. I was kinda naive maybe and dreaming the product would turn into a productocracy, since it was so good. So just an initial Adwords advertising was all that was needed.... damn. But I also hate being "that guy" who spams his product on his private social media account, and cold-calling institutions to advertise my product. I prefer the pull-way instead of the push way.

Maybe it's hard for someone outside to see what went wrong, but I'm confused if my product sucked or my advertising sucked.

Thousands of affiliate marketers face the same ending as you on a daily basis.

The book (intellectual property) was never yours in the beginning. Look into creating things instead of asking for permission. If you continue down this path, you're like a kid who still ask the teacher if you can go to the bathroom.

Create it. Own it. Sell it. Get paid.

Hylle

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
Wauw thanks for the responses everyone.

When I decided to go into the translation venture I hadn't read Fastlane or Unscripted , I have now.

I will read around more on the forum now, I think my approach from now will be Validate idea/see if there's potential customers/marketing and THEN build product. Before I would just get an idea, make the product, advertise it and fail since I couldn't find any customers. I will also look around more on the forum and get inspired!

What's the book that made you quit? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here.

The book was called The Joy Of Quitting Cannabis by Chris Sullivan. It is similar in style to Allen Carr's Easyway series on quitting cigarettes and alcohol.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...