The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Generation Z Apocalypse: is it coming? The Fear is Here.

Marketing, social media, advertising

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
I want to discuss the probability that our businesses and leadership may fall into the hands of college-aged students. What does this mean for innovation and future work? How will this shape and change our global economy? Is this something we should even concern ourselves with? Share your comments below. I do not know if this brings value, but it aligns with this forum. Choices-Money-Control-Leverage: we are in a digital age and hiring from handshake. To be transparent, I turn 55 in June, have been in this industry for almost two decades, and am facing fear—a fear of being replaced. Some people fear AI will take over. I fear Old people will find themselves in rest homes while GENZ becomes the new Billionaires. Great for them, But more people are being laid -off, and the future is intimidating. I am just looking for feedback to help me make a more informed decision on how I spend the next six months of my life. What goals will I go after? What steps will I take to achieve those goals? First, I must be open about my fear and see what others tell me. Even if they just tell me I am crazy and need to see a psychiatrist.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

403burnout

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jan 8, 2024
I want to discuss the probability that our businesses and leadership may fall into the hands of college-aged students. What does this mean for innovation and future work? How will this shape and change our global economy? Is this something we should even concern ourselves with? Share your comments below. I do not know if this brings value, but it aligns with this forum. Choices-Money-Control-Leverage: we are in a digital age and hiring from handshake. To be transparent, I turn 55 in June, have been in this industry for almost two decades, and am facing fear—a fear of being replaced. Some people fear AI will take over. I fear Old people will find themselves in rest homes while GENZ becomes the new Billionaires. Great for them, But more people are being laid -off, and the future is intimidating. I am just looking for feedback to help me make a more informed decision on how I spend the next six months of my life. What goals will I go after? What steps will I take to achieve those goals? First, I must be open about my fear and see what others tell me. Even if they just tell me I am crazy and need to see a psychiatrist.
I'm having trouble following some of your post, but I can speak on this a little.

There is a common assumption among older generations that Gen Z is super tech literate because they grew up with the internet.

My experience (I work in IT and regularly deal with tech problems from users of all ages) is that this is bullshit. And if you google around you'll find lots of articles like this and this that back that up. Yes, children can intuitively figure out how to download and play games on iPads, but that doesn't make them any more knowledgeable on how the underlying technology works.

Knowing how to use technology to CONSUME things like TikTok does not create value. The fact that Gen Z can figure out how to use ChatGPT to write a book report is about as useful a skill as Millenials figuring out how to use Spark Notes to write a book report.

Tl;dr - I believe that people who can leverage new technologies to create value and solve problems can get rich, but I don't think the generation you are born in has anything to do with how well-equipped you are to do that.

Jinzou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 1, 2024
Germany
I think I understand where you are coming from. Change can easily seem threatening at first, especially with unknown components beyond our control.

I belong to GenZ and have parents/family your age. I am currently in the final stages of my university degree. Based on that, I probably belong to the exact group of people you're talking about. Perhaps my thoughts on the subject can help you to form a perspective.

Let me give you an overview of how I perceive the students of my cohort and university:
Most of them are between 19 and 30 years old. On average, their social media usage is far over 2 hours a day (talking for Germany) according to statistics from 2022. (Unfortunately, the data situation is still lacking in this field and not as concrete. That was the most significant result I could find. I suspect numbers much bigger than that).
We had many modules that required the usage of typical programs such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, but also business-specific programs.

I got engaged in intensive exchanges and gained a fair insight into the user behavior of my fellow students. My experience was that most of them didn't even know how to open the task manager on their PC. Inefficient one-finger typing, a lack of English skills, and the inability to conduct a specific Google search were just the tip of the iceberg. Witnessing this was alarming and I regularly played the 'IT expert' to fix their problems.
This insight also reinforces the statement by @403burnout.

With ChatGPT for public use, some things are indeed easier for GenZ. It brings a lot of quality-of-life features.

However, AI is only as effective as the person using it. Going to OpenAi's website and typing in prompts like "Write me an essay about proteins" doesn't gift you a result worthy of the best grade.

From this perspective, I would likewise conclude that the skills from GenZ primarily relate to social media app usage but hardly go beyond that.
In that respect, I'm more concerned about how much social skills, especially communication skills, are negatively impacted.

What do we do when a considerable part of a generation becomes lonely, miserable, and unable to express themselves due to too much 'social' media? What happens to a generation that meets up to chat on their phones instead of debating, sharing experiences, and dealing with what matters in life? What about the attention span of young people, which is getting shorter and shorter thanks to TikTok and the like?

Some young people lack the ability to read several pages in one sitting, let alone a book because they can't focus.

This constant online exposure and continuous sensory overload have catastrophic consequences for brain development.

Young people are 'dumbing' down.

Humans developed extraordinary capabilities of communication that played a big part in many achievements in the past decades. This skill is incredibly valuable and obviously crucial.

Now you have generations that no longer talk to each other, no longer share experiences, and forget to understand each other.
Of course, this doesn't mean everyone from GenZ is suffering from these problems. Though, definitely a big chunk of them.

How can our society prepare a generation to take over despite these challenges? That's the real question for me on this topic.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023

Steve Jobs became a millionaire when he was 23 and Mr. Gates at the age of 26, in the era of the 70s!

GenZ apocalypse?

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Excellent points @403burnout and @Jinzou

I too believe that this is a fallacy picked up by the media.

Being glued to a screen for 10 hours a day doesn't necessarily further your technical skills - just like eating food doesn't make you a better cook.

I don't have any solid evidence or clear statistics on this, but as far as I can tell:
  • Time spent on social media is increasing
  • Time spent talking to real people in the real world is decreasing
  • Attention span is decreasing
  • Depression, anxiety, and mental illness are at historic peaks
  • Motivation, discipline, and willingness to live and do great things is mostly absent
  • Young people are being preached about their RIGHTS, not about their responsibilities
  • At least 25% (some sources say it's 60%) of young people are or will be prescribed psychiatric medication

Intelligence, competence, and ability to execute and work are dropping rapidly.

I can't know the future and I hope I'm wrong in this assertion, but if we don't wake the F*cking hell up - immediately - this may be the end of the most prosperous chapter in the history of humanity.

How to fix this:
  • If you're a parent, DO NOT let this happen to your kid.
  • If you have younger friends, lead by example and get them out of the mire.
  • If you're in your 20s and you do these behaviors yourself, STOP THE BULLSHIT AND GET TO WORK IMMEDIATELY - you are living your last life, the clock is ticking, and there will be no refunds.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
If you have younger friends, lead by example and get them out of the mire.
It's underrated. If you show, don't tell people. They will believe in you a lot more, and they may even change their behaviour because of their envy.

As for thoughts on the general aspects of younger people taking businesses over, the sky is not falling.

Each generation thinks that they are the golden ones, the next one coming up is screwed & there is going to decline everywhere. This has happened for centuries. It's no different in this situation.

Are there difficulties? Sure, but each generation has issues that it deals with. Are there a lot of problems now? Yes, there are more opportunities to help people.

Businesses will be passed over, the older folks who have worked hard can relax a little, and the world will keep spinning.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
IMO there's a lot of good points on this thread.

But one thing that I think is worth mentioning about generations which is particularly related to what @Spenny said above, is that the impact made by a generation is not dependent on the average person in that generation.

So in any large group of people, most people people just go with the flow (whatever that is) and don't achieve much in life. But most of the contribution made by that group will come from a small part of the group, say 5% or something.

For example, I am one of the younger Gen X'ers and I know that many Boomers, the next generation up, regard Gen X'ers as a bunch of useless uneducated idiots. But it doesn't matter, because some Gen X'ers have been able to step up and change the world for the better.

The same will be true with Gen Z. If some people regard Gen Z as lost, then so long as a few Gen Z'ers do the work, that small group will start major global businesses and do the scientific and medical research and produce the great art and the generation as a whole will make a positive impact.

This idea is an echo of MJ's ideas in Unscripted , where he explains that Scripted thinking leads to mediocrity and not much else and unlearning The Script is essential for significant success. Most people stay Scripted, but those that don't make almost all the positive contribution to society.

As an aside, whilst this is "how it is", it doesn't have to be this way, if young people in the western world were raised "UNSCRIPTED " (in the langauge of this forum) then humanity as a whole would benefit.

TL;DR: Gen Z will probably turn out to be similar to other generations.

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
As for thoughts on the general aspects of younger people taking businesses over, the sky is not falling.
Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Most of GenZ can't work for 30 minutes without getting distracted 7 times. Most give up before they even start. If it's not fun, they are NOT going to work.

Most can't even keep their room clean and they have weekly mental breakdowns. There's no F*cking way in hell they will ever be able to run a company lol.

The problem, however, is that if this is how your workforce is going to look like... you are going to have a very hard time as a business owner - or just as a member of this society.

If you show, don't tell people. They will believe in you a lot more, and they may even change their behaviour because of their envy.
Some may, unfortunately, change due to their envy.

I may be naive, but I think that most of those who will change will do so because they will be inspired by your actions.

They will be able to see the light. They will understand that they CAN change their life if they really want it.

They will experience a long-lost and nearly foreign emotion... HOPE

Last edited:

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I may be naive, but I think that most of those who will change will do so because they will be inspired by your actions.

They will be able to see the light. They will understand that they CAN change their life if they really want it.

They will experience a long-lost and nearly foreign emotion... HOPE
One of the biggest things holding people back is the unquestioned assumption that they cannot change who they are, and by extension, what their life is like.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
Gen Z is the laziest generation in history. Kids are growing up bombarded with information and influence that does not help them win in life but is just aimed at making them consume and spend money.

I would be mostly afraid of the opposite, stagnation in the economy. Why would most people go to work when they can bombard their brains with dopamine and feel like they're accomplishing something? Why make money when you can be a CEO in GTA 6? Why get a girlfriend when you have onlyfans girls luring you in so they can buy the latest Mercedes Benz and a LV purse (under the pretense that they need money for college)? Why read books and use critical thinking when you have Iman Gadzhi give you business advice on youtube?

Gen Z is absolutely screwed. Andrew Tate is trying to wake them up but he's heavily capitalizing on this and I don't particularly like that, as he's obviously selling crap courses and the only person getting rich is him.

Gen Z is less likely to read books because that takes time, their prefrontal cortex is addicted to fast feedback, they want to know it all now, so they open youtube and listen to those business gurus that are obviously foxes.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Being glued to a screen for 10 hours a day doesn't necessarily further your technical skills

I was on an airplane this week and there was a 12-14 year old next to me. For the whole 2 hour flight, he bounced around on his phone, going from one app, one game, one podcast, one thing to the next.

The kid couldn't stay focused on any ONE THING for longer than 90 seconds.

He'd open a podcast, listen for 90 seconds, and then go to a game.
He'd play a game for 90 seconds, then go to IG.
He'd scroll on IG for a few minutes then go to some other app...
THIS WENT ON FOR 2 HOURS.

This spectacle rendered me feeling scatterbrained by mere observation.

I have a grim prognosis for Generation Z, I and will attribute their downfall to permissive parenting which gave them the ultimate tool of mental destruction.

Darklight

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jan 8, 2024
Gen Z is the laziest generation in history. Kids are growing up bombarded with information and influence that does not help them win in life but is just aimed at making them consume and spend money.

I would be mostly afraid of the opposite, stagnation in the economy. Why would most people go to work when they can bombard their brains with dopamine and feel like they're accomplishing something? Why make money when you can be a CEO in GTA 6? Why get a girlfriend when you have onlyfans girls luring you in so they can buy the latest Mercedes Benz and a LV purse (under the pretense that they need money for college)? Why read books and use critical thinking when you have Iman Gadzhi give you business advice on youtube?

Gen Z is absolutely screwed. Andrew Tate is trying to wake them up but he's heavily capitalizing on this and I don't particularly like that, as he's obviously selling crap courses and the only person getting rich is him.

Gen Z is less likely to read books because that takes time, their prefrontal cortex is addicted to fast feedback, they want to know it all now, so they open youtube and listen to those business gurus that are obviously foxes.
I absolutely love books, don't buy crap courses, no videogame addiction and ability to focus for two hours straight.

I was born in 2008 and actively working on EACH aspect of my life and witnessing the same even online in lots of others my age/generation.

We can say the same about you guys, most are slaves to system, old mindset and other crap, but it will not be true - in fact, in fact it is reductionism, over generalization and humanity flaw of judging individuals by their collective, and collective by their single loudest individuals.

I recently saw a video from a woman, with millions of fans my age talking no crap courses fastlane, explaining how to get rich with real, no bullshit words to millions of kids knowing this.

Guys, let's be more f*cking open minded.

EDIT: there are a lot of girlfriends in my generation, we are present together and you can sense that if actually walked a mile in our shoes that we are confident, bold and authentic, nobody likes porn addiction, that is why in our generation nofap is popularized ane preached.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
I'm having trouble following some of your posts, but I can speak briefly.

There is a common assumption among older generations that Gen Z is super tech-literate because they grew up with the internet.

My experience (I work in IT and regularly deal with tech problems from users of all ages) is that this is bullshit. And if you google around, you'll find lots of articles that back that up. Yes, children can intuitively figure out how to download and play games on iPads, but that doesn't make them more knowledgeable about the underlying technology.

Knowing how to use technology to CONSUME things like TikTok does not create value. Gen Z's ability to figure out how to use ChatGPT to write a book report is about as useful a skill as Millenials' ability to figure out how to use Spark Notes to write a book report.

Tl;dr - I believe that people who can leverage new technologies to create value and solve problems can get rich, but I don't think the generation you are born in has anything to do with how well-equipped you are to do that.
@403burnout, everything I typed before 2023 may be hard to follow. I appreciate @Andy Black patience in working with me. Over the past year, I have worked with a real social media company, improving my writing and communication skills. You can also find me on Medium: Lead Social Media Marketer Ronnie Bryan – Medium. I am not there for fame, money, or followers—if they happen, great—but it is there that I am working on my writing and communication: my batting cage, golf swing driving range, and shooting range. I share it. This way, people can leave feedback on how I can still improve. I know this forum has many gifted writers.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It's fascinating to me how every generation goes through this exact phase.

"I'll never turn out like my parents! All judgmental and closed-minded. These kids just don't know ANYTHING. They're all idiots! I fear for our future! Next thing you know, they'll ALL be gyrating their hips like that Elvis fella!"

You guys are silly :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

If you think what has happened in the last 25 years "is no different than earlier generations" (internet, smartphones) you're not paying attention.

These societal shifts are unlike ever seen in entire generations prior, new mental paradigms that humans have never dealt with have been foisted upon society (especially when given to young undeveloped minds), more culturally disruptive than anything ever invented , including cars, televisions, and air travel.

If you think the proliferation of internet/smartphone use is the same as black and white TVs improving to color, you're missing the boat.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
If you believe that you will become replaceable by someone 30 years younger who has so few reps in the game, what the F*ck have you been doing the previous 35 years?
My very best to master marketing and bring value - however, that didn't start for me until 2007. I decided to get off the sidewalk that year but didn't know how until I read the MJ Book TMF in 2010. I am also very much aware of my errors when learning alone. No excuses, being honest, though, I am low on the common sense meter, and I have a learning disability called short-term memory retention. These are things I have had to work around. 2022 was the best year I broke through. I went from dirt poor to lower middle class; momentum started kicking up in my marketing, and last year, I saw a breakthrough in my writing. Persistence is king.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My very best to master marketing and bring value - however, that didn't start for me until 2007. I decided to get off the sidewalk that year but didn't know how until I read the MJ Book TMF in 2010. I am also very much aware of my errors when learning alone. No excuses, being honest, though, I am low on the common sense meter, and I have a learning disability called short-term memory retention. These are things I have had to work around. 2022 was the best year I broke through. I went from dirt poor to lower middle class; momentum started kicking up in my marketing, and last year, I saw a breakthrough in my writing. Persistence is king.

Absolutely, you have really improved your writing as your earlier posts were unreadable, congrats!

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
I was on an airplane this week and there was a 12-14 year old next to me. For the whole 2 hour flight, he bounced around on his phone, going from one app, one game, one podcast, one thing to the next.

I have a grim prognosis for Generation Z, I and will attribute their downfall to permissive parenting which gave them the ultimate tool of mental destruction.
What concerns me the most is this:

Before smartphones came out, the rules for keeping your kid safe were very simple:
  • No alcohol
  • No cigarettes
  • No substances
  • No bad crowds

Any parent, regardless of how stupid and ignorant they were, would not let their kid drink or smoke - because it was so blatantly obvious that it was a horribly bad idea.

Fast forward to the present day - say hello to the new drugs:
  • Sugar
  • Social media
  • Bullshit apps
  • Smartphones
Unlike the "classic dangers", these new things are much more pernicious, because most parents don't have PhDs in human physiology or neurology.

Sugar has the same effects on the liver as alcohol. This is a well-known scientific fact that most parents are completely oblivious to. There are 10-year-old kids who show up to the doctor with the liver of a 50-year-old alcoholic.

Similarly, the overuse of artificial stimulation via 10 different bullshit apps (quick context-switching) has similar effects as some mind-altering substances, in terms of how it interacts with the dopaminergic system.

If process addiction affects the young brain, this can cause permanent, life-long neurological damage.

The kid you described in this story may never recover or be able to live a normal life.

These are the first generations of human beings that are exposed to this level of brain stimulation from birth.

We have no idea what the consequences are going to be 10-20 years from now. It's the first time we're running this experiment - and I have a gut feeling that it's going to end up quite bad.

It wouldn't surprise me if in 20 years' time we would ban kids from using smartphones, just like we've banned them from smoking cigarettes in the past century.

Yeah, that's hilarious.

Except for the fact that suicide is now the leading cause of death in young people, half of the kids are prescribed psychiatric medication to manage their "mental health", and they have stunted development with social and learning disabilities.

I'm not sure if most people are aware of the magnitude of the problem.

If things don't change quickly, this is a civilization-ending scenario. And it wouldn't be the first time in history when it happens.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
If you think what has happened in the last 25 years "is no different than earlier generations" (internet, smartphones) you're not paying attention.

These societal shifts are unlike ever seen in entire generations prior, new mental paradigms that humans have never dealt with have been foisted upon society (especially when given to young undeveloped minds), more culturally disruptive than anything ever invented , including cars, televisions, and air travel.

If you think the proliferation of internet/smartphone use is the same as black and white TVs improving to color, you're missing the boat.

And it's only going to be more and more intense from here.

THAT is the piece that isn't different. Change is inevitable. And, sure, it's speeding up. But humans adapt!

... or we go extinct :wideyed:

Jokes aside, I'd challenge the whole premise of the conversation from OP with a "so what?"

What are your worst fears with ADD Johnny and what would happen if they actually come true?

Are we so worried there's a new generation of entrepreneurs and they won't do things the way we did them? Are we concerned they will be the insane nutjobs in office? Are we worried they'll all plug into their Apple Googles and disconnect from society while it collapses?

If the old geezer political scum (from all countries) don't nuke us all into oblivion because of age-old vendettas and these kids get a shot at a full life -- I think it's all going to turn out just fine.

Not how you expect. But just fine.

NervesOfSteel

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 26, 2023

There were kids in the 70s who changed the computing world, there were kids who wasted themselves on drugs in the hope of finding "Shiva" or something with their fried brains!

There will be kids, designing and dominating AI( or advanced) technology in the future and there will be kids wasting themselves in the hope of finding "XYZ something" with their fried brains!

The old men always said " Oh! These kids today, they're doomed!"

Same today!

I have great hopes for the future! From the GenZ will emerge great leaders ... and they will belong to only 2 or 3 genders!

LOL

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Yeah, that's hilarious.

Maybe a light-hearted take on a serious issue would allow us to tackle these challenges with finesse... because as you say below, stuffing anti-depressents and other pills down everyone's throat forcefully ain't working.

Except for the fact that suicide is now the leading cause of death in young people, half of the kids are prescribed psychiatric medication to manage their "mental health", and they have stunted development with social and learning disabilities.

64% is the latest number I think? I have a significant amount of experience in this world dealing with the thousands and thousands of kids I had in my town and surrounding area.

As a kid, they forced me onto Paxil... until I started secretly pouring it down the drain. Glad I did. I wouldn't have lasted on it. So I DO have a lot of empathy and compassion for these kids...

I'm not sure if most people are aware of the magnitude of the problem.

I agree.

If things don't change quickly, this is a civilization-ending scenario. And it wouldn't be the first time in history when it happens.

My point exactly: not the first time in history. Human memory is so short. While the specific challenges are new, the challenges themselves (mental, emotional, and physical) are not.

We can't imagine growing up in a concentration camp. We can't imagine having our entire village burned alive by the Mongol Horde. We can't imagine the black plague wiping out most of our friends, family, and neighbors.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
I’m 18 and can safely say. My generation is mostly F*cked. Remember going to “parties” and everyone on tiktok on their phones, everyone’s playing the game of “best dressed” trying to afford new shoes with parents money. F U C K E D. Can’t spell it harder. The ones who talk about making money or entrepreneurship usually mean drug dealing or “i wish we could find some way to make money like “scammers/trappers” who rap do and tell us about in their songs”

Or you get the average slowlaners of my generation which are even rarer now

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I absolutely love books, don't buy crap courses, no videogame addiction and ability to focus for two hours straight.

I was born in 2008 and actively working on EACH aspect of my life and witnessing the same even online in lots of others my age/generation.

We can say the same about you guys, most are slaves to system, old mindset and other crap, but it will not be true - in fact, in fact it is reductionism, over generalization and humanity flaw of judging individuals by their collective, and collective by their single loudest individuals.

I recently saw a video from a woman, with millions of fans my age talking no crap courses fastlane, explaining how to get rich with real, no bullshit words to millions of kids knowing this.

Guys, let's be more f*cking open minded.

EDIT: there are a lot of girlfriends in my generation, we are present together and you can sense that if actually walked a mile in our shoes that we are confident, bold and authentic, nobody likes porn addiction, that is why in our generation nofap is popularized ane preached.
Well, you're obviously the exception to the rule.

Take a sample of 100 guys born after 2000s and what I said will ring true for the majority of them. It cannot be any other way, humans evolved to take the easy path, and MOST of those kids are growing up with a smartphone at 5 years old, scrolling TikTok or who knows what.

I say after 2000s because modern technology didn't peak until the 2010s with the release of modern apps, high-speed internet, addictive videogames designed by actual psychologists, and whatnot.

It's not about overgeneralizing, it's just a fact. You can prove me wrong but I simply believe in probability.

The modern world isn't designed to aid you, it's designed to make you a slave and a consumer (so the producers of those gadgets and services get rich and powerful). It takes tremendous effort and self-awareness not to be like 99% of the people, especially when someone is 5 years old.

What MJ mentioned, kids switching between apps, is what most people do. It's mindless behavior, it's unconscious. They can't help it. They have been reinforcing those behavioral pathways thousands of times and it takes effort and self-awareness to break out of the feedback loop. The first step is becoming aware of the behavior, the second step is by understanding why you do it (probably cause you have no goals), the third step is in associating pain with the behavior so you are less likely to repeat it, you can visualize yourself in the future and see your loser future self and all you haven't accomplished because you were wasting hours on tiktok.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
SO, who is coaching and mentoring a young kid right now?
DO something about this. Help them invest, start businesses, question the bullshit.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
So, who is coaching and mentoring a young kid right now?
Do something about this. Help them invest, start businesses, question the bullshit.
It is who is offering free internships, and I am in my third. We also have Pathrise - Land your dream job in tech. Most importantly, we have The Entrepreneur Forum: Talk Fastlane Business. The first two focus on getting them hired into Fortune 500 companies. This forum focuses on doing something other than following the status quo. @ZCP Unless you mean younger than college age.

Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Relax. Gen Z (and Gen A) has some flaws despite having strengths (e.g: faster, more energetic):

1) Tech : Yes, they are "digital natives" and "digital ninjas", but they spend most of their time on ipads and phones. In the working world, we don't use ipads/phones to work : we use PCs/workstations with software like Excel and whatnot. Many of them aren't as familiar with these stuff as you think, and they've to pick it up at work. Sometimes, the mental switch from "mobile" to "desktop" takes getting used to. It's like boomers being better at desktop than mobile.

2) Attitude (i): Many can't take hardship. The younger batch of Gen Zs are emotional (including guys). At the first sign of displeasure with their managers, they quit. They cry in the toilet cubicles. Their parents are Gen X and serve as their backups. This is where you come in after they quit and travel the world to "discover" themselves.

3) Attitude (ii): They've many demands at work and are more self-entitled than previous generations. Many of these guys are highly inefficient at work : in an 8-hour work day, they spend > 4 hrs on their phone, distracted all the time.

4) Attitude (iii): Many of them lack a sense of urgency to get things done.

Now. Go in there, replace them at their jobs! And your biggest enemy isn't Gen Z/A....it's AI!!!!

EDIT : Just to add, the field is levelled since AI tools are accessible by the old and young. In fact, ChatGPT actually benefit older generations more than the younger ones.

Older = more experiences = more nuanced thought process + deeper viewpoints = throw it at ChatGPT and get answers from more angles.

This is something Gen Z/A lacks.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I tell my 13 year old daughter at least once a week, that the only thing she has to do to succeed in the future, is be able to concentrate for ten minutes at a time.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.