The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Have Permission to Be Yourself

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Great post, thanks!
I see you mentioned Alibaba, can I ask would you say this is still a good resource and can I ask are you selling a product that already existed and our importing/selling or have you rebranded a product or even had a new product manufactured.
I must admit I do think in the way of improving the world and giving value but, (yes I know when I say but you may ignore anything before it) I think we are all trying to start from little and we do start thinking of money although I try not to. I think money brainwashes our minds in a way.

Alibaba will always be a good resource for new products. Note: new products, but not all of our products. Currently we have products imported from a lot of countries. We are aiming more and more on not just providing variety. I realized that's not helpful at all only after several long months into our business. Competitors sell by what's famous, what other people have, we changed our approach to we offer only what's best. The best doesn't have to be expensive. The best, in fact, can be that cheaper solution that most people used to have, but eventually forgotten. Having them in your store creates a story within your business, it lets people know your business is not a cold cash-taker. It lets people know your business has heart, and you would only make available what's the absolute best to your customers - which comes from a true understanding of your products. Because of this line of thinking, we're also currently carrying products which other competitors can only dream of representing - the most exclusive of all. Good brands want people who knows how life works, and how sincere marketing works. Doing what you absolutely believe in, opens you up to working with the most magnificent. In fact, doing what you absolutely believe in, any products you represent will naturally be well represented so they get more desires from the people as well (not without any work to truly make the products appreciated by the people, to orchestrate the desire as sincerely as you can). We educate, properly, we market, professionally and with heart, we hold high standards in everything we do.

Don't worry if you're a startup and think that way. I can understand it, as I've been in the same situation. Finances are important, just be absolutely aware that magnificence requires something more - and keep yourself inspired.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Well Ive been looking at investing another $5,000 into my business from the sale of my car Or just holding onto it....I think you just motivated me enough to put it towards marketing, packaging and more products :D

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
We don't just ask for value. We provide it, build trust with each other, and then only share between us. And by that time, it's not just something we simply blurt. We think for each other and care for each other, protecting each other, and growing with each other - offering value to each other is a given.

So, a short story relating to this. I never liked my former employer (actually the owner who I worked a year with..then I worked with the GM). He was in prison, had a drug problem, and more. I don't talk bad about the man...I just don't respect him.

I always thought when I get my business running I wouldn't do business with him (in my niche). I had a gut feeling that it just wouldn't be worth it...I could see him calling and calling, and complaining, and demanding..etc. So...I decided what the Hell...I'll go in his business and talk with the GM who I worked with. He was congenial, shook my hand and we talked for a few minutes. Then he says "Subi (the owner) told me not to let you in. I tried talking him out of it but he wouldn't budge." So I left.

I'm glad it happened before I put time and energy into doing business with him. I guess not everyone I do business with will have the same standards, morals, expectations, mind set, etc. But damn...I've gotta draw the line somewhere.

elliot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Dec 21, 2012
Kent United Kingdom
How did you test the market like was it started with the common eBay, etc or did u have business background/help and just go straight in with a site, google ads or different marketing? I have a few items on order from China and am going to list on eBay just starting to get a feel but well how do you know the right product to get into, I know has to be what people want and not what everyone else is doing and have read every word you have written, still I am scared to order 100, 1000, of something to find it does not sell and could have been put to better use. The other small prob is the UK like to tax incoming imports if they catch them. I don't want to fill up this thread but could chat all day gaining advice! Love the motivation on here, this year I want to achieve something even if its just a few £s the in back pocket and a good learning experience.

brainact

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Dec 28, 2012
Germany
thank you for your inspiring post!

If you like to answer and can find time..what do you exactly mean by "you have permission to be yourself" ? I'm a little bit struggling with this phrase. Thank you!

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Well Ive been looking at investing another $5,000 into my business from the sale of my car Or just holding onto it....I think you just motivated me enough to put it towards marketing, packaging and more products

As long as it's what you truly believe in, it is ok. Being yourself is firmly taking responsibility for your own actions, and for your life.

If you sell your car, will you create inconvenience to your family? On the other hand, if it does create inconvenience, will you be able to risk it, and is the risk worthy. I'm giving you a yin-yang question here to test yourself. If despite of all doubts, you firmly believe that you must do it, then take responsibility for possible risks, or possible rewards. You earned it either ways.

If you deeply want success from that decision, then you'll strongly do your homework to make it happen.

Last edited:

bernieshawn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 14, 2011
Amazing post, Zen. I loved it, especially post #2. I've recently decided to shift my priorities toward personal development #1 and business #2 for now ... I think this might just be the way to go :)

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
dc758c404886de3190d27be77703b1b2.jpg

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Amazing post, Zen. I loved it, especially post #2. I've recently decided to shift my priorities toward personal development #1 and business #2 for now ... I think this might just be the way to go

To be truly successful, and to be fulfilled, I believe one can't be without another. I believe many hasn't truly succeeded, or experience greater dissatisfaction in life than others because they focused irresponsibly on only one of them.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Hey ZenFocus,

I have a burning question (I hope it is on topic) and I wanted to ask someone but I've never found the right person. Since you went through these hard yards and kept yourself straight in spite of the difficulty I think you might have a chance at knowing something.

The question isn't how to succeed, or how to create a lifestyle for myself (I got into biz for more than that).

Sometimes wrack my brain, not to create a business that will float, but struggling to understand how to create a reality for my customers. I see a vision, and its almost like, the business essentials will NEVER push me to reach that goal.
How can I push the business basics, to create the extroardinary delivery of an ABSOLUTE value.

How do you push past the essential? What do you focus on to create the reality, when none of the ordinary paths will?
It is a question that has burned in me from the start.
I'd rather fail at business, than succeed without the ability to do anything good with it.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Sometimes wrack my brain, not to create a business that will float, but struggling to understand how to create a reality for my customers. I see a vision, and its almost like, the business essentials will NEVER push me to reach that goal.
How can I push the business basics, to create the extroardinary delivery of an ABSOLUTE value.
How do you push past the essential? What do you focus on to create the reality, when none of the ordinary paths will?
It is a question that has burned in me from the start.
I'd rather fail at business, than succeed without the ability to do anything good with it.

Hi Rogue,

Think about this:

"I am responsible."

I am responsible if I see dissatisfaction in life. I am responsible to make the world better. I am responsible, to be a real human to others in this world. Others need you, even secretly want you to add more brightness into their lives.

If you are really true to yourself, do you really accept life as it is? What would you do if you were true and real to yourself. Life will pass us all by fast, and our lives are but a tiny blip in the face of the universe. I'd rather be dead than living an unfulfilling life. It's so tiny anyway.

So, while it's so tiny, would you give your best while you're at it. Or will you just accept that meager existence, and accept it, and blip out of existence uselessly, meaninglessly, that your existence is of no value to anyone, and it has no meaning at all to this world. In, out. That's it.

Why not attempt at making it as meaningful a blip as possible, and express that compassion you have for others into something brilliant?

It's not easy, definitely. I've been through so much shit, that sometimes I wonder if I want to make myself so tired. Then, I look at the world again. And I think: "Who else is going to see this world as clear as those who are capable?" When you're gifted, don't waste it. Use it, and express it, and express it fully. When you're fully abundant in mind, you'll desire to contribute.

I always believe, and tell everybody:

"All problems in this world, derive from insecurity."

I aim to contribute towards the melting away of insecurity, and make people's lives more abundant."

I truly do.

And so, sometimes I get strength, the thought: "What's my suffering, when compared to the abundance that could be added to people?" I still suffer through how much time and effort, emotionally and physically I give to the business, and how much pressure I get from having to keep it sustainable and profitable. Then I think again,

"If I don't do this, these problems will continue to happen for the rest of the world."

And then I continue contributing value.

I pick up the responsibility, and forget about the pain. I pick up the responsibility and keep attempting at giving people more abundance.

Yes, even if I fail, it's worth it. I remind myself that I'm just but a blip. Your efforts must've created a ripple that contribute towards your ideals somehow. Just act. True success could be carried on by the next generation. Or it could just happen while you're at it, fully and completely.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Thanks zenfocus, you are spot on

"If you won't, it won't exist", after considering what you've said here I think I'm totally willing to humiliate myself/be vulnerable business wise to follow that. Its a bitter pill, but whatever, so be it.

Shoot for the bullseye. Let the shots land where they may. But shoot.
talent-bullseye.jpg

Thankyou for having courage
And thanks for composing and sharing these thoughts with everybody :)
I know it helped me remember what that courage feels like

Cheers to you man

(sighs)
Ok I wouldn't normally do this, but you helped me, so I owe you this.

You mentioned it being hard, and I can see the stress a bit...

One thing I learned in life is that "efficiency erases who you are, if you don't stop to remember the beauty or protect yourself when vulnerable and afraid".
You are allowed to be weaker than what everyone around you demands of you.
It is not your duty to be as effecient as will solve their inflated issues (I say inflated because it is a distraction and away from their core issues). It is your right, to risk losing things, risk not listening to what is needed, and to allow people's mistakes and demands to be their own.

Efficiency is dry... Sport is luscious. Take the time to stop running from the fear that pushes you, and let the necessity for efficiency mellow out a bit.
YES this will have consequences, but have faith in yourself to face them.

Success is an illusion, if you do not take the time to be the person worth emulating.
If you don't enjoy doing what you do, how will others find the strength to do as you do?
Your happiness matters more than you know.
Do yourself no harm in seeking success, create the life you wanna live within.
And you will find and end worthy of the courage you use.

Last edited:

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Thanks Rogue.

I mainly emphasize them so that people can identify or empathize with it. I don't support the thinking that efficiency is dry - if you're not pushing yourself outside of your comfort zone, you're being stagnant, and that may be the main reason that's holding you back from being excellent. What I do want though, is continually progressing past our limits - to reach more people, to contribute even greater value. This can be a drain, but it's necessary to be truly excellent. If not, everyone would be doing it. I'm most tired out from having to deal with inefficiency from other people. Inefficiency is what drains successful people the most. However, this is life. And we got to accept them, welcome them, and handle it one by one.

I do understand what you mean, and believe that one needs to be balanced in life. Whenever we're dead-eyed on just succeeding, and disregard every other aspect of life, we can give ourselves trouble. Wisdom and inner strength comes from experiencing those troubles, and then correcting ourselves.

Last edited:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah I think you are absolutely right. Its absolutely something we learn as we go, so long as we are responsible for bringing forward that value and keep in mind balance.
Ime balance is harder than moving forwards though, its where the real fears are.

Last edited:

TrendSettersInc

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jul 26, 2012
Southeast Michigan
As long as it's what you truly believe in, it is ok. Being yourself is firmly taking responsibility for your own actions, and for your life.

If you sell your car, will you create inconvenience to your family? On the other hand, if it does create inconvenience, will you be able to risk it, and is the risk worthy. I'm giving you a yin-yang question here to test yourself. If despite of all doubts, you firmly believe that you must do it, then take responsibility for possible risks, or possible rewards. You earned it either ways.

If you deeply want success from that decision, then you'll strongly do your homework to make it happen.

An Doing my homework I have been doing!

I have just a girlfriend, no kids or anything and we have a second car so the sale of my car wasn't an inconvenience, it was very beneficial.

The sale left me with seed money for my main business as well as my other plan, which is another business I will be starting next year once my credit is where I expect it to be. I think the sale has made me more focused!

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Too good to fall down the list.

~BUMP~

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%