The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

This dude is NOT Fastlane...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MW-EA424_Martin_20151203102138_ZH.jpg

There are some days when I come to Fastlane and realize that some people (most young, starry-eyed guys) have corrupted "Fastlane" to mean money: Money at ANY cost, money by means of ANY product, no matter if it works or not, and MONEY acquired by any methods, regardless of ethics or the human experience.

For them any means justifies the ends, or money.

These types of "entrepreneurs" are what give capitalists a bad rap. And Fastlaners. They aren't Fastlane, and I don't care how many "millions" they make.

When I first heard about this guy I thought to myself, "Great, another capitalist villain who is bad for entrepreneurship and good for money-chasing assholes."

Some young guy out there is thinking, "Wow, in order be rich, I need to be like this guy!" And another Jordan Belfort worshiping guy is born.

At the end of the day, your shady business practices, your unethical marketing schemes, and your shitty product(s) will come back to haunt you. Maybe not tomorrow, next month, or the next year-- but they will-- and sometimes the bite in the a$$ isn't law enforcement, but a long spiritual death while you sleep among your silk sheets.

When I read this today, I was not shocked.

There's a certain redemption I see when money-chasing assholes who think they are walking the fine line, actually find out that their lines were inaccurately laid by the love of money and indifference for their fellow man.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ph...-shkreli-arrested-on-fraud-charges-2015-12-17

(Although this arrest was related to prior deeds in a hedge-fund)

Federal agents on Thursday arrested pharmaceutical executive Martin Shkreli — who gained notoriety earlier this year for significantly raising prices on drugs — and accused him of securities and wire fraud based on his former work at a hedge fund.

Agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation took the 32-year-old Shkreli into custody Thursday morning, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Anyhow, I'm hoping that the majority of folks who read this understand the difference between entrepreneurship which is fiduciary, and entrepreneurship which is self-serving. The former is where we strive to be, and the ultimate irony is that the former ends up creating the latter.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
These people are prostitutes and have the same rationalization, they think " i will do it just for a bit and then quit " .... They just cant stop. Easy money ( and a lot of it ) is addictive ...... Hope he learns his lesson and younger folks here will learn from this too

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I had read somewhere that the way he managed his previous companies wasn't ethical at all either, even before the whole drug thing this year. You are right in that it gives capitalists a bad rep.
I get looked at like I'm a crook when (if) I say that if you focus on yourself and your business for a while then you can afford to give back to the world, you don't need the government to do it thru taxes (and you can help several countries that way as well). But making money or talking about making money is kind of like a taboo to so many people because of the behaviour of a few.

I guess it's true that money can corrupt you but I am a firm believer that it just shows who you are even more. Unfortunately the media showcases the rotten apples more often, and everybody gets labeled.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
I admit that medical treatment can be costly and sometimes people find it hard to afford it and that the ones who provided the solutions deserve their incentives, but what he did with the HIV pill (I think Daraprim) was pretty inhumane...

I hope he finds goodness in his heart and turns around from his madness...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
It should make all 'treps furious when a company or individual uses market monopolies or IP to force the market to accept a lower value service or product to that which would otherwise exist but which isn't allowed a chance to compete on fair terms because of lobbying, backroom deals, or monopoly. I'm all for a clever IP defense or a quasi monopoly that leads to a solid margin and a respectable fastlane exit, but when competitors could be delivering your product for 5000% less than you are, but you stop them not by keeping up with evolving markets and offering even more value for their money, you deserve to go out of business, or worse. It's not just grind cheating, it's an attempt to break the entire system of capitalism itself for the sake of your own laziness.

When you force the market to accept a lower value product than the competition offers because of your power or influence, I call that "Comcasting."

<This message sent on the fastest internet connection available at my address at any price, which is way the hell slower than it has any business being>

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I whole-heartedly agree that what he did was wrong on many levels but bringing him down is attacking symptoms of the greater disease. The root cause needs to be destroyed.

Thankfully, I can walk out the front door and visit a nearby pharmacy and get whatever generic meds I need for next to nothing without a prescription. Policy makers need to take a look in the mirror and see the damage that they're causing. Luckily everyone focuses on guys like the above instead of the people who make it extremely profitable for guys like him to pull off these stunts.

Last edited:

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 5, 2015
California
MW-EA424_Martin_20151203102138_ZH.jpg

There are some days when I come to Fastlane and realize that some people (most young, starry-eyed guys) have corrupted "Fastlane" to mean money: Money at ANY cost, money by means of ANY product, no matter if it works or not, and MONEY acquired by any methods, regardless of ethics or the human experience.

For them any means justifies the ends, or money.

These types of "entrepreneurs" are what give capitalists a bad rap. And Fastlaners. They aren't Fastlane, and I don't care how many "millions" they make.

When I first heard about this guy I thought to myself, "Great, another capitalist villain who is bad for entrepreneurship and good for money-chasing assholes."

Some young guy out there is thinking, "Wow, in order be rich, I need to be like this guy!" And another Jordan Belfort worshiping guy is born.

At the end of the day, your shady business practices, your unethical marketing schemes, and your shitty product(s) will come back to haunt you. Maybe not tomorrow, next month, or the next year-- but they will-- and sometimes the bite in the a$$ isn't law enforcement, but a long spiritual death while you sleep among your silk sheets.

When I read this today, I was not shocked.

There's a certain redemption I see when money-chasing assholes who think they are walking the fine line, actually find out that their lines were inaccurately laid by the love of money and indifference for their fellow man.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ph...-shkreli-arrested-on-fraud-charges-2015-12-17

(Although this arrest was related to prior deeds in a hedge-fund)

Anyhow, I'm hoping that the majority of folks who read this understand the difference between entrepreneurship which is fiduciary, and entrepreneurship which is self-serving. The former is where we strive to be, and the ultimate irony is that the former ends up creating the latter.
Ha, I wanted to post this article the moment I read it but figured MJ would hear about it soon enough. How long ago did I make the post about this guy having a sidewalker mentality? Couldn't have been more than 30 days ago. . .

Let's not forget he recently purchased the one-off Wu Tang clan album for $2 million. I knew shit was bound to catch up with the guy, I just figured he'd end up going broke really fast. Although I do sort-of wish I had the opportunity to see Bill Murray heist the album :(

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Sad thing is how many like him there are out there.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
He's nowhere near "Bankster" status though.

ThinkDifferent

Banned
Read Fastlane!
Oct 1, 2015
Amsterdam
It should make all 'treps furious when a company or individual uses market monopolies or IP to force the market to accept a lower value service or product to that which would otherwise exist but which isn't allowed a chance to compete on fair terms because of lobbying, backroom deals, or monopoly. I'm all for a clever IP defense or a quasi monopoly that leads to a solid margin and a respectable fastlane exit, but when competitors could be delivering your product for 5000% less than you are, but you stop them not by keeping up with evolving markets and offering even more value for their money, you deserve to go out of business, or worse.

When you force the market to accept a lower value product than the competition offers because of your power or influence, I call that "Comcasting."

<This message sent on the fastest internet connection available at my address at any price, which is way the hell slower than it has any business being>

all companies do "comcasting"

quality of clothes of H&M, Zara etc etc. Phones from Sony Samsung and Apple etc etc. All having much lower quality based on that they know people will buy it anyway.

I agree with you on the other things.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
quality of clothes of H&M, Zara etc etc. Phones from Sony Samsung and Apple etc etc. All having much lower quality based on that they know people will buy it anyway.

That's branding. That's not what I'm talking about.

Comcast doesn't just brand, they strike deals either with Verizon/AoL or local municipalities to shut superior competition out of the market all together. Same with these drugs; attempting to use IP trickery to bludgeon someone into overpaying for something that was old and cheap will come back to bite you in the end. It would be like if Dior or Versace shut down Target and Kohl's in your township, got the government to sign an agreement never to open any charity clothing banks, and made everyone spend $65 on the same t-shirt you used to be able to buy for $4, or move somewhere else. No value creation, just forced price jacking. Even if it's legal, it seems like such a shit, money-grubbing business strategy. You can't innovate, you can't beat your competition, you can't excel, so you do this shit and hope to slow superior people and companies down long enough for you to rip people off.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
all companies do "comcasting"

I agree with you on the other things.

Branding isn't the same thing as using the ultimate monopoly, the government, to enforce your market position. That is what RHL was talking about.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
These people are prostitutes and have the same rationalization, they think " i will do it just for a bit and then quit " .... They just cant stop. Easy money ( and a lot of it ) is addictive ...... Hope he learns his lesson and younger folks here will learn from this too

There are many here who liken themselves as fastlaners yet engage in pure money-chasing, no real value, snake-oil product pimpin', flat out scamming ventures.

It's sad.

I've even heard a few of them proclaim "Yea, it's a money-chasing pursuit but I'm going to make hay while the sun shines then use the money saved to start my "real" fastlane business."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've even heard a few of them proclaim "Yea, it's a money-chasing pursuit but I'm going to make hay while the sun shines then use the money saved to start my "real" fastlane business."

I'm going to sell my soul to the devil and use the profits to buy it back from God. Ha Ha! Love it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Well with all the corruption going on in this world and some making millions(billions) of the suffering of others maybe some people just became bitter and cynical and said screw it.

It's like young black people living in the ghetto back in the day. Education funding was getting cut and the streets were flooded with drugs so drug dealing seemed like the only way to escape that hellhole.

I wonder which lane has more cashflow, the fastlane or the darklane.

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
So happy to see this thread. I've had several wonderful things happen this week, as I develop my contacts/mentors/alignment to manifest my fastlane business. Reading everyone's comments is reinforcing what has been happening for me.

I see nothing wrong with becoming rich. It is how you do it, how you treat others, and the value you add to humanity and/or the planet that counts. Also, you can do much more to help your fellow brother/sister if you have money. Getting past the need to pay your bills, put your kid through college, etc, frees you up to make a true difference. Money is a tool to make these things happen.

Thank you to those who posted above, and others with the same mentality, and thank you for this forum. I see it as a place that fosters creativity in people who wish to make a positive difference in others lives, while getting paid handsomely to do it.

Merry Christmas to all, or good tidings if that isn't your thang.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I wonder which lane has more cashflow, the fastlane or the darklane.
I think legitimate, legal businesses have greater potential to scale...at least for an individual. Drug dealers, for example, have to limit exposure to mitigate the risk of getting caught. Likewise, if you're interested in actually using your money and having it for the long term...I'd go with the fastlane.

Integrity should be a multiplier in the fastlane equation. Unlawful practice should score you a big, fat ZERO. Get arrested, or killed if you're in an illegal business, and how usable is your money?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I think legitimate, legal businesses have greater potential to scale...at least for an individual. Drug dealers, for example, have to limit exposure to mitigate the risk of getting caught. Likewise, if you're interested in actually using your money and having it for the long term...I'd go with the fastlane.

Integrity should be a multiplier in the fastlane equation. Unlawful practice should score you a big, fat ZERO. Get arrested, or killed if you're in an illegal business, and how usable is your money?

Drugs is the largest industry on the planet though

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Drugs is the largest industry on the planet though
I see where you're coming from. I was just thinking more about one person and their potential to tap that market and make a fastlane-like living from it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I see where you're coming from. I was just thinking more about one person and their potential to tap that market and make a fastlane-like living from it.

u scared of the cops bro? :p

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Sad thing is how many like him there are out there.
Sad indeed. When I read stories like this, sit and think about it, it is indeed sad. This type of person is not happy. They may act happy but I've looked into the eyes of a few people like this and I've seen no happiness there.

@Superwoman ... Nailed it !

So we here keep doing what we do. Then we pass our experience and knowledge to others to follow and understand. One by one...it does make a difference.

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
At first, I thought he was doing it to get to the press. So he's a complete douche. Guy deserved it.

Let's just set this as an example of what NOT to do.

Give value. Help people. And make the money you deserve.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Just think of how much good he could have done...if he weren't such a spoiled, hissy, little prick

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I'm glad you bumped this because VICE recently had someone interview him.

I thought it was interesting. He spent $2 million on a Wu-Tang Clan album...

Here's the video:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.