The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Master Thread, Episode Discussion

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I figure it's about time we started a master SHARK TANK discussion thread to discuss the latest episodes of Shark Tank. We can use this thread to discuss the episodes versus opening a new one on every episode which sometimes happens.

Tonight was the season premiere and there was definitely some "huh?" businesses with some "Are you f*n kidding me?" valuations.

I thought the mobile charger idea was horrible as did rest of the sharks. What did you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A "made man" ultimate grooming parlor for the masculine professional. We'll do your hair, shave you with a straight razor, trim and style your beard, trim your nosehairs (ew), shine your shoes, do your nails, and cover your blemishes.

Made Man is actually a great name. Or "Groomed for Success". Every time I go to Vegas I splurge on facials and massages. Sorry, ya'll don't know what you're missing. As for the concept, Sport Clips has proven demand for concept although I'd consider that the Walmart of men's grooming.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Kevin O'Leary just uploaded a season 6 gag reel.

Pretty entertaining behind the scenes stuff. I didn't know the sharks cussed behind the scenes. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There's a group on Facebook of shark tank groupies. Some entrepreneurs, some shark tank show participants, and a shit ton of wantrapreneurs.

It amazes me the quantity of people in the world that would prefer a handout to a hand up.

I have spent a bit of time there answering some questions, much like on this forum.

The difference is, people on this forum usually take the advice and turn it into action. www.thefastlaneforum.com has an abnormal amount of people that listen, and take action.

A typical exchange from the shark tank groupies on this Facebook forum, summarized, usually goes like this :

OP Q. "I have a brilliant, one of a kind idea. Can anyone tell me the shortcut to..."

A. "There is no shortcut. What you could do is..."

OP. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyway... can someone tell me what the shortcut is to..."

You come to realize there's only so long you can bash your head into a brick wall. We sometimes get frustrated with people who stop by here at the forum looking for a shortcut, but I also think they flame out here and move on when they don't get what they were looking for.

Man, there are a lot of people out there that are looking for a hand out vs. a hand up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The phone charger guy saying on national television that he wanted to punch Robert in the Teeth was over the top. Note to self, if you want investors… Keep your emotions in check.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I think the Hammer and Nails idea would be better if they get rid of the nail salon association. Instead how about a men's grooming salon that targets the hip hop crowd and professionals. Hair cuts, facial hair, pedicures etc. An all in one service. Your hair, your feet, your face everything. Make it look hip and luxurious. The first thing I would think if i heard "a nail salon for men" would be hell no. But, mens grooming club? way better. Get rid of the words "salon" and "nails", its way too feminine. And plus it won't cost that much more money to offer more services. Thats how powerful associations are in marketing and branding. be careful.

A "made man" ultimate grooming parlor for the masculine professional. We'll do your hair, shave you with a straight razor, trim and style your beard, trim your nosehairs (ew), shine your shoes, do your nails, and cover your blemishes. You want to look like a made man, not a scruffy oaf.

Look good for your woman on your anniversary by coming over just before dinner. Be presentable at your next board meeting before your big presentation. Or simply come in to look good and feel good. No matter what it is, you'll be glad you came.

FOR FIRST TIMERS: Get the all-in-one package for only $45. You'll be begging to come back after!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Really liked this episode. The sales of the Red Dress and the Sunglass guys floored me. I often forget how many freakin people there are out there looking for all kinds of things. Sometimes I have a idea and think it wont work based on things that me and people in my own little world like or dont like. Just cant be closed minded to anything is what I got from this episode.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I am a golfer (not very good one), thought those guys had a pretty sweet putter to, was more impressed when both guys started talking Japanese right there and ended up doing the deal.

The cultural obstacles in Japan were also interesting to note... how his fiance's parents no longer approve of him because he quit his job and went after his dream. And yea, the putter looked damn impressive, including the demonstration on it's balance. I have faith these guys will get it done.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're not going to convince me to pay $30 to get my toenails taken care of when I pay $11 to get my hair cut.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've had GF's drag me to the salon to get a variety of things, facials, manicures, pedicures and they're worth every dollar. And in each instance (yea, its happened several times) I found myself saying "Wow, I wish they had this shit for men because Ill never come in here solo." I don't think the Hammer/Nails is such a bad idea, but agree that more add on services would be needed to make it Fastlane Franchisable.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Red dress boutique... $1,000,000 a month

This one really impressed me. Great pitch, maybe the best I have ever seen. Good investors, Mark and Robert are going to make a ton of money with this one and bring the exact experience they wanted.

I feel like this could be like Nasty gal (a $100mm+/yr revenue business). Actually I think this one will be worth more than Nasty Gal and they have an excellent chance of IPOing in the future (if that is their goal). Excellent use of social media and to think they haven't started any other marketing/analytics, etc. Wow. Four of my female friends had already "liked" their FB page when I checked it out.

I'll def be watching this company for future my personal investment purposes..

Edit: I also like the beginning of their story on their about page:

After working in a “secure but soul-crushing” cubicle job, and longingly drawing sketches and taking notes of different designers while watching E! at night, Diana Harbour saw that she had two options: practicality or freedom. Being more afraid of the consequences of staying in a job in which she was unhappy, than the uncertainty of embarking on a new journey, she began considering the possibility of starting her own business, and began an Ebay-based store out of her bedroom.

Maybe she has read TMF ?? Ok, I'll stop being a fanboy of this company now. haha

The guys with the sunglasses are terrible negotiators

Can't agree more. Horrible. Impressive sales/profit though. --- Just goes to show that ANYONE who masters importing any product and has the drive to out work others CAN do this.

Last edited:

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
Really liked this episode. The sales of the Red Dress and the Sunglass guys floored me. I often forget how many freakin people there are out there looking for all kinds of things. Sometimes I have a idea and think it wont work based on things that me and people in my own little world like or dont like. Just cant be closed minded to anything is what I got from this episode.

I had the same thing happen watching the Halloween scare biz update they did during this episode. They went from the scary trail which was beyond lame when I went on it at 26, but in markets where there is NOTHING to do and you have kids, its a license to print $$. Their scary camp idea is a great move, because it isn't seasonal any longer. Smart smart thinking and vision by that girl.

Reddress- I just wish I could be like that couple...that's just being good people personified right there, genuine reactions and happiness.

Golf thing will flop hard within 2 years IMO.

A short little interview w Robert. Skip to 4:30 for some really really good wisdom and perspective.

Last edited:

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
The baby product will easily become one of the bestselling ones of Shark tank, it solves a BIG PAIN, it is light, easy to ship, and an awesome product for word of mouth, specially in the stay-at-moms niche. Really genius.

The toy girls have a great product, and they were able to swim all the way up in a saturated and highly competitive market (I don't recall any other product coming on board and saying, "Hey, we are already in a shitton of the major stores".

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
"TMZ spoke with the Kronos Golf founder who tells us he had to keep the good news under wraps since the episode was shot back in June -- but now that it's aired ... he's put the clip in an email to Mariko's parents.

He's waiting for them to wake up in Japan to get the news he's bigtime now.

If the in-laws are impressed ... he says Mariko should be stateside soon."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/27/shark...apan-kronos-contract-gag-order/#ixzz3EYsWSfC6

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I thought Hammer and Nails was cringeworthy. For straight men it's often enough of a Rubicon to move from using your teeth to using nail clippers. You're not going to convince me to pay $30 to get my toenails taken care of when I pay $11 to get my hair cut.

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think the Hammer and Nails idea would be better if they get rid of the nail salon association. Instead how about a men's grooming salon that targets the hip hop crowd and professionals. Hair cuts, facial hair, pedicures etc. An all in one service. Your hair, your feet, your face everything. Make it look hip and luxurious. The first thing I would think if i heard "a nail salon for men" would be hell no. But, mens grooming club? way better. Get rid of the words "salon" and "nails", its way too feminine. And plus it won't cost that much more money to offer more services. Thats how powerful associations are in marketing and branding. be careful.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I disagree- almost every guy I've dated has gone to the nail salon with me at least once- almost all of them have enjoyed it, but ALL of them felt uncomfortable because they where the only guy in there.

well, I guess we're not meant to be together :D

socaldude

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wow, I can't believe the drumpants guys didn't take Daymond's offer.

He gave them a 1.25 million dollar valuation for a product that sold 720 units.

I think soapsox was pretty impressive with their sales. $300k? Wow. Just goes to show how you can literally run a business out of your living room with little to no money or connections.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Yeah, too true. Not just in business either.

Ha, I don't think its the phone, it is just not knowing where to go from there.
There is a point you just have to grab your balls and go though :p

They just don't think they can take failure yet.
Just gotta toughen up.
I'll be honest... I don't know why... But everytime I get a call... Make a call... etc... My heart starts pounding 120 beats per minute... I don't know why.. This causes words to slip from my mouth.. Some words come out as gibberish that even I get embarrassed.. I don't know why...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was impressed with the girls toys' thing

Yup, the ladies were really impressive and Cuban saw it as well. Cuban was really more invested in the women, than the business. He knows winners when he sees them.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am personally familiar with several of the businesses in various stages of start up to execution here on the forum. An interesting sidenote for all of you is that I see more promise in a few of the businesses that I am familiar with privately here from the forum than I did on the season premiere of shark tank.

I wonder why the guy from hammer and nails needs investors? If he is as well known in the African-American community as he says he is, and if he has generated as much revenue in his past as he says he has… Why does he need $200,000?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't go to nail salons. No guy I know goes to nail salons. That's not going to change because you call it Hammer and Nails.

You could call it "the coolest man cave in the country with free beer and half naked women" and guys still are not going to go there to pay for an emery board to their toenails.

Pass.

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
Those ninja guys... "We need the power of someone to make a phone call...". Why are people nowadays so damn scared to pick up the phone?!
I think they meant someone with connections.

They pick up the phone and call they either don't know who to call, what # to call, and even if they did know those things, the person on the other end won't listen to them.

However, if Mark Cuban calls, you listen.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.