The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Shark Tank Master Thread, Episode Discussion

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I figure it's about time we started a master SHARK TANK discussion thread to discuss the latest episodes of Shark Tank. We can use this thread to discuss the episodes versus opening a new one on every episode which sometimes happens.

Tonight was the season premiere and there was definitely some "huh?" businesses with some "Are you f*n kidding me?" valuations.

I thought the mobile charger idea was horrible as did rest of the sharks. What did you guys think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
LOL Don't get me started on the chargers by Amber...$2000 outright or lease options baby!!!

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
I figure it's about time we started a master SHARK TANK discussion thread to discuss the latest episodes of Shark Tank. We can use this thread to discuss the episodes versus opening a new one on every episode which sometimes happens.

Tonight was the season premiere and there was definitely some "huh?" businesses with some "Are you f*n kidding me?" valuations.

I thought the mobile charger idea was horrible as did rest of the sharks. What did you guys think?
I'm the kind of person that has struggled with the issue they're solving, so I feel the pain (being an iPhone 5 owner). But in saying that, it just doesn't make business sense, and as Robert said, the technology just isn't reliable enough.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Haven't watched last night's season premiere yet but should get to it some time today.

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY
I loved the story behind the very first presenters with the baby sleep gear. Any parent knows that idea solves a really painful problem. I will 100% be a buyer for my next child!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Haven't watched last night's season premiere yet but should get to it some time today.

Yeah, I saw this thread at 2AM right when I finished editing for the night and I was like yeaaaaaaaaaah, I want to, but it's not happening. I'll report back soon.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Don't get me started on the chargers by Amber...$2000 outright or lease options baby!!!

Yea, a bar owner will never spend $2,000 on something that won't directly impact the bottomline, and even "indirectly" it's a stretch. The need exists, but the solution/business model was a miss.

TurksScuba

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 12, 2014

I really thought it was impressive on the 2 girls who did the kids toy setup. They had secured sales deals through multiple massive toy distributors, got 500k for 5% and had Mark and Lori on board. Pretty impressive.

As I am a golfer (not very good one), thought those guys had a pretty sweet putter to, was more impressed when both guys started talking Japanese right there and ended up doing the deal.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I am a golfer (not very good one), thought those guys had a pretty sweet putter to, was more impressed when both guys started talking Japanese right there and ended up doing the deal.

The cultural obstacles in Japan were also interesting to note... how his fiance's parents no longer approve of him because he quit his job and went after his dream. And yea, the putter looked damn impressive, including the demonstration on it's balance. I have faith these guys will get it done.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I thought the fingerprint idea to open the chargers was good, but as Robert said, if it malfunctions and it's your phone stuck behind the glass wall, you'll be mega-pissed. I felt bad when Lori said, " I'm actually doing something in this area and it's light years ahead of this," kind of jerkish thing to say.

I was impressed with the girls toys' thing, definitely the more we can pry kids away from electronics and using their hands and mind the better. Nowadays most parent just give the kid their phone to shut them up (as a Samsung commercial which played a bunch during the episode exhibits) the toy industry is tough so good for them going after it and when living in Silicon Valley, they're doing a non-tech business which they probably get scoffed at for.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was impressed with the girls toys' thing

Yup, the ladies were really impressive and Cuban saw it as well. Cuban was really more invested in the women, than the business. He knows winners when he sees them.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I really thought it was impressive on the 2 girls who did the kids toy setup. They had secured sales deals through multiple massive toy distributors, got 500k for 5% and had Mark and Lori on board. Pretty impressive.

Agreed- and I thought that Barbara was really pretty harsh when saying that the girls didn't "stay true" to their original purpose. I really liked the product, and liked them

I thought the fingerprint idea to open the chargers was good, but as Robert said, if it malfunctions and it's your phone stuck behind the glass wall, you'll be mega-pissed. I felt bad when Lori said, " I'm actually doing something in this area and it's light years ahead of this," kind of jerkish thing to say.

Yeah, but it's true. Like Robert said, they are creating a $2000 product, and it's biggest competition is something that's free. Those guys needed harsh, because their product just wasn't that good.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
The baby product will easily become one of the bestselling ones of Shark tank, it solves a BIG PAIN, it is light, easy to ship, and an awesome product for word of mouth, specially in the stay-at-moms niche. Really genius.

The toy girls have a great product, and they were able to swim all the way up in a saturated and highly competitive market (I don't recall any other product coming on board and saying, "Hey, we are already in a shitton of the major stores".

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I immediately thought of http://www.goldieblox.com/ when I saw Roominate product.

The baby snuggie will likely be the biggest hit from those two episodes.

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
Anyone know where to watch these online?

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal

fasteddienc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 21, 2013
Anyone know where to watch these online?
They are up on itunes and you can buy the season for either $14.99 or $19.99 if you want HD. As always someone has posted it on youtube if you search for season 6 sharktank.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
"TMZ spoke with the Kronos Golf founder who tells us he had to keep the good news under wraps since the episode was shot back in June -- but now that it's aired ... he's put the clip in an email to Mariko's parents.

He's waiting for them to wake up in Japan to get the news he's bigtime now.

If the in-laws are impressed ... he says Mariko should be stateside soon."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/27/shark...apan-kronos-contract-gag-order/#ixzz3EYsWSfC6

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am personally familiar with several of the businesses in various stages of start up to execution here on the forum. An interesting sidenote for all of you is that I see more promise in a few of the businesses that I am familiar with privately here from the forum than I did on the season premiere of shark tank.

I wonder why the guy from hammer and nails needs investors? If he is as well known in the African-American community as he says he is, and if he has generated as much revenue in his past as he says he has… Why does he need $200,000?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The phone charger guy saying on national television that he wanted to punch Robert in the Teeth was over the top. Note to self, if you want investors… Keep your emotions in check.

G

Guest12120

The phone charger guy saying on national television that he wanted to punch Robert in the Teeth was over the top. Note to self, if you want investors… Keep your emotions in check.
That's just a confirmation that they made a good decision not investing in their product. What a jerk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turner

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 27, 2012
Calgary, AB, Canada
I don't know if i'm just being sentimental, but I think HAMMER & NAILS was a BIG miss by the Sharks!!

Great guy and loved his story. I liked the idea but think it would only succeed if he incorporated haircuts into the service.

The phone charging idea was ridiculous. I don't see people locking away their phones while out. They want to text to find the next bar, show photos... Maybe if they rented out portable, lightweight chargers that patrons could use. Walk away with it and your CC is charged.

Great pitches with the baby sleep wear and the two young women engineers.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The greatest was that the guy forgot his phone. Exactly what would happen in a bar. And nobody gives their phone to the bartender to charge. That's what you get when you attempt to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Sadly though, Robert was wrong. He got taken if he thought he needed to spend $50k on a single access biometric control system. The technology is much improved, and a single biometric door access system can be completed for less than a grand including installation. However, it makes no difference to the boneheads with the mobile charging system. Robert's summary (or someone's?) was awesome... you created an elegant system to compete against Free service providers.

But... their mom... told them their idea was brilliant! This is exactly why you can't listen to friends and family tell you how smart you are. It made so much sense in their business class though.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I don't go to nail salons. No guy I know goes to nail salons. That's not going to change because you call it Hammer and Nails.

You could call it "the coolest man cave in the country with free beer and half naked women" and guys still are not going to go there to pay for an emery board to their toenails.

Pass.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Hammer and Nails is such a ridiculous idea, it's unbelievable. Turning men into women. Essentially a transgender salon.

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)

Last edited:

codo3500

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jun 6, 2013
Hanner and Nails is such a ridiculous idea, it's unbelievable. Turning men into women. Essentially a transgender salon.

Sent from my bathroom using Tapatalk 2 :)
I don't think it's a horrible idea, he's cutting even, he'll make money in a year. It's nicely branded, and a quality experience, but he needs to upsell like crazy, or he'll go nowhere. I personally would use a service like his if it was in my city.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
That Amber charger was a nice idea in theory, but the execution was bad. I don't know what bars or clubs he's been to, but I've never seen anyone give their phones to the bartender to charge it. And I totally agree about the issues with getting the phone out of the box. The possibility of long lines, the sensor not working on the first try, someone being sloppy drunk and getting the box messy. Not only does the concept need work, so does their attitudes. They were the prototypical "the people around us think it's great so it is" type of entrepreneurs.

I definitely feel for the Kronos guy. I've personally experienced the cultural backlash from starting your own business vs playing it safe and going down the slowlane.

And that baby swaddler is going to become the biggest seller in Shark Tank history surpassing the Scrub Daddy. They addressed probably one of the biggest needs for parents which is finding ways to avoid the late night wake ups.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I think there are a lot of baby sleepers out there. We literally had a similar product for our kids 20 years ago. I was not sure quite what was different/protectable/patentable about it. Hated the name also. Damon will likely have them change the name.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.