The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just heard a dad tell his son to go the slow lane to get a Lamborghini

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven. There's no common objective measure of happiness, as even the term is subjective.

However, take a survey of 100 people living in a homeless shelter, and 100 multi millionaires... and I guarantee you I can predict which group will score higher on general questions about happiness. It's common sense.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven. There's no common objective measure of happiness, as even the term is subjective.

However, take a survey of 100 people living in a homeless shelter, and 100 multi millionaires... and I guarantee you I can predict which group will score higher on general questions about happiness. It's common sense.

Studies as the one you are suggesting have been done.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

TheBigPill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Aug 6, 2012
The convo went like this:
Dad: "Well son, a Lamborghini is a lot of money! If you want to get one you'll have to work really hard in school, get into a good college, and get a really good desk job at some place like Microsoft. By the time your my age you would be able to afford one. And that my son, is how successful people do it."

You don't know what you don't know. That would've been my answer too *but* now I know better and do better. Think about it. That's the prevailing thought about how you get rich. You don't hear much talk about providing value, filling a need, or how to use money as leverage.

IMO, economic freedom is probably the greatest freedom of all because it allows you to life your life your way. Whether you like it or not, money makes the world go round and I can tell you from experience having it is multitudes better than not.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia

It's common sense that money buys happiness up to a point. Study after study have shown that, yes, someone earning 100k a year is (on average) much happier than someone who is broke, homeless and earning nothing, obviously.

However take a survey of 100 people earning 100k a year vs 100 people earning 500k+ a year and studies have shown that the 100k earners are as happy (sometimes happier) on average as the 500k+ earners. A survey such as this would be alot more relevant in this context and to this thread, that was initially about ridiculing some random father for giving slowlane advice to buy a lambo (which is in fact one of several ways one can indeed afford to buy a lambo, even while relatively young).

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Wow... I'm shocked how many people here are actually arguing against the fastlane mentallity. If you're perfectly fine with a 9 to 5 and don't see anything wrong with it, why are you here? Entrepreneurship is like the swimming scene from the movie Gattaca. Vincent plays a game of chicken with his older brother that he refuses to lose to, refuses to be weaker to. They both swim out to sea and the first person to swim back loses. Vincent's brother Anton finally asks him he keeps going and knows that he's going to be able to make it back to shore: You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back. That's the epitome of the entrepreneurs mentality right there and if you don't agree and aren't yet successful, you're clearly not listening to the people that have been there and done that because that's exactly what they'll tell you.

I'll prove to the naysayers that money is happiness.

I grew extremely poor. I associate not having money or having debt with insecurity, fear, pain, stress, and destruction of life. There is little happiness growing up when you're constantly worrying if you'll be able to eat tomorrow. So if money doesn't by happiness, does being poor?

I've been writing this out for people since I left college when people tell me being an entrepreneur means you failed in life because you couldn't get a good job.

If you work for X amount PER hour then you're working in a system where:

Time = Money

If there's anything that ALL of humanity can agree on, it's that we ALL want MORE time. Ask anybody with or without money about what they value in life and it will all have time in the equation:
  1. Time to go to the gym
  2. Time to spend with my kids
  3. Time to spend with my parents when they're old
  4. Time to spend on romantic vacations with my wife
  5. Time to travel the world
  6. Time to read and learn about the mysteries of the universe.

When a person finally realizes that the more time they have to do what they want in this short life, they realize that time is the ultimate factor in finding happiness. Thus:

Time = Happiness

If a = b, and b = c, then a = c, therefore:

Time = Money = Happiness

Tell me again why trading your time for money by sitting in traffic for two hours a day to go focus on solving other people's priorities when there are other things in life you would rather be doing is the epitome of happiness?

I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.
Cool story bro? I hear how wrong, stupid, and insuperior I am on a daily basis from slowlaners. I just met a guy who closed down a 400 million dollar company that Microsoft bought who called the entrepreneur who sold the company a failed loser because now he doesn't have a job and it was a failed concept... he still trades his most valuable commodity, TIME, for money out of necessity while the other guy is probably off playing with his kids and sipping Mai Tai's on a beach in the Bahamas loving life. Fastlaner's are superior in the fact that they take advantage of the opportunities in front of them to position themselves in a scenario where they can enjoy their most valued commodity, time. If you think the guy with a 9 to 5 who mocks the $400 million entrepreneur is "successful..." and are worried about driving him away, his thoughts and outlook on life aren't wanted here anyway.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.

Thank you for actually writing this, I have felt this way recently in regard to what I call the "forum mindset". Very recently, I also held this "fastlane is superior" mindset looking down upon people with traditional jobs or who were slaves to the 9-5. I was thinking it was a fate worse than death, but not all (in fact not most) people can be entrepreneurs, independent, and financially successful. It just cannot happen. Who are we to judge these people? I have been actively working on not judging others or their situations whether financial or otherwise and have found it has made me a much happier person.

Now, in regard to money and happiness, let's take the basic premise "money buys happiness". I would say it does to a point. Obviously being so poor you can't afford food or security, money would "buy happiness" in the form of better health (having food), feeling more secure and even some luxuries. Now let's assume all your basic needs are met, and you can even afford some luxuries and are considered "middle-class". I would say more money does not absolutely buy more happiness. It is a very dangerous and slippery slope when external factors determine your happiness. Whether that be a physical object like a luxury car or someone else's love and approval or prestige or food/substances etc etc. When you don't have that "thing" you aren't happy. To be truly happy, it must come from within. You cannot let outside factors determine your happiness because they can be taken away from you at any second. Also, there are other factors such as health that all the money in the world won't matter if you're on your deathbed or have an incurable disease.

I'd say in general, more money (meaning more security, freedom, options) does buy you more happiness. In absolute terms, it depends. I know for sure though, that my happiness does not DEPEND on money. And I sure as hell try to not look down on those without money or consider myself superior to them. Once you realize that true happiness comes from within and does not depend on anything or anyone else, you will truly be free. And happy. ;)

I also tend to believe/support the theory of hedonic adaptation, if you are interested at all in psychology. :p

Just my 2 cents...

edit: in regard to the post that got in above me, I do completely agree that everyone wants more time and more freedom. The thing is, not everyone can have this. And just because they can't, does that mean we should look down and condemn them? The very fact that you are on this forum at all and have an entrepreneurial mindset, is actually very fortunate. You won the genetic lottery. Yay, you can haz a cookie. There is a reason not everyone can or will "make it". What then? Just because someone is not fastlane does not mean they cannot be happy in their own situation? What if I had a physical deformity or am mentally incapable at being an entrepreneur? Most people literally cannot be fastlane and will never achieve it. Probably 95%+ of people. Does that also mean they cannot be happy in their situation? It is just very dangerous to assume that those without money are inferior to those with money and less happy. It is not absolute. If my happiness depended on the amount of money I had in my bank account, by fastlane standards I should be absolutely miserable and unhappy. The reality is FAR from that.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada

Paradoxically, if it were true that, "You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven" then it would be somewhat problematic to demonstrate that, "It's (the correlation between money and happiness) common sense".

I just want to step back a bit and put the belief (or non belief) that money is correlated strongly with happiness on the shelf and speak about the method behind the analysis that assists individuals in forming opinions and judgements on how the world (supposedly) works.

When looking at information, an individual has to either subscribe to the scientific-method of looking at data or some other methodology before a common-ground discussion can occur.

One can either adopt the scientific-method and seek information under that umbrella or use the pseudo-religious-method "you can't measure god (or insert whatever characteristic/phenomena) because god is subjective and can neither be proven nor disproven".

Neither method is right. Neither method is wrong. As long as everybody understands which method they are using.

Classifying a characteristic or phenomena as "unmeasurable" would (generally) fall under the pseudo-religious-method as the scientific-method is more focused on measurement. Again this is neither right nor wrong. It is simply the rationality-umbrella one uses to form opinions and judgements.

Having said that, getting back to the correlation (or lack thereof) between money and happiness. Speaking only for myself, I personally tend to use the scientific-method. This may or may not be adequate, but that's just me. And those who have used this method while looking at the correlation between money and happiness have not found any strong correlation that I am aware of.

This is not to say that there is no correlation. But only that the correlation may be strong for a small window but generally weak overall.

Those who are using a different method other than the scientific-method to analyze the correlation between money and happiness may come to different conclusions and form different opinions. Neither opinion is right nor wrong. Each has been "demonstrated" using the individual's chosen method of analyzing data.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I mentioned in a previous post, namely:

Obviously I'm not the most well read individual in the world so if there is a study that follows the scientific method (or another method if you prefer; religious, survey, etc.) that you are aware of that shows a strong correlation between money and happiness I would love to read it.

Again, it is possible that the scientific-method has yet to adequately design a study to fully analyze the correlation between money and happiness. But until that happens, for individuals that follow the scientific-method, current results will have to do (for now).

PS: This phenomena, that is, happiness associated with the material, falls under the hedonic treadmill or hedonic adaptation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedonic_treadmill

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
edit: in regard to the post that got in above me, I do completely agree that everyone wants more time and more freedom. The thing is, not everyone can have this. And just because they can't, does that mean we should look down and condemn them? The very fact that you are on this forum at all and have an entrepreneurial mindset, is actually very fortunate. You won the genetic lottery. Yay, you can haz a cookie. There is a reason not everyone can or will "make it". What then? Just because someone is not fastlane does not mean they cannot be happy in their own situation? What if I had a physical deformity or am mentally incapable at being an entrepreneur? Most people literally cannot be fastlane and will never achieve it. Probably 95%+ of people. Does that also mean they cannot be happy in their situation? It is just very dangerous to assume that those without money are inferior to those with money and less happy. It is not absolute. If my happiness depended on the amount of money I had in my bank account, by fastlane standards I should be absolutely miserable and unhappy. The reality is FAR from that.

It has nothing to do with luck. I grew up in a very poor, right wing Christian house and came out of it with views that couldn't be farther from what I was taught. I took responsibility for my life and success. If you're trying to argue that it's all luck, then I hope you're feeling lucky. ^_^

edit: It's choices. I make different choices. I'm not going to walk around and live life hearing 5 times a day from slowlaners that I'm a failure and my life sucks cause I don't have a degree and quit my job to start a business then feel all happy-go-lucky about them. Those types of people (who don't take responsibility, don't make good choices, and blame it all on bad luck such as that guy at Subway) put themselves on my shit list on a daily basis hahaha.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Wow... I'm shocked how many people here are actually arguing against the fastlane mentallity.
We're not, we are just saying that:
A) Fastlane isn't for everyone, it's a personal choice
and
B) Fastlane is only one way of many that you can buy a lambo

If you think the guy with a 9 to 5 who mocks the $400 million entrepreneur is "successful..." and are worried about driving him away, his thoughts and outlook on life aren't wanted here anyway

Slowlaners who mock fastlaners are no better than fastlaners who mock slowlaners. The 400 million entrepreneur is a successful fastlaner, I don't know enough about the slowlaner to know whether or not he is successful, by the sounds of it, probably not.

Is a 28 year old with a net worth of half a mil, earning a six figure salary in a prominent role at one of the worlds largest charitable organisations, making a difference, who, is free to leave the job at anytime, successful? Depends on how you classify success, but most people I'd wager would say yes, he's a successful slowlaner.

The reason I came here was because it's hard to find successful people to share insights with, whether that be fastlane/slowlane etc. The next logical step for me is fastlane because I feel held back in a job and I do think I can do better with my life. I have tried fastlane before and failed.

So I arrived here because I wanted to share thoughts on where I've gone wrong (but I can also provide insights on where I've gone right for others) with people who are more successful than myself and pin point where I've gone wrong in the past, and while there are successful people here with great advice/insights but there's also alot of egotistical garbage.

truly successful slowlaners aren't calling successful fastlaners losers, the smart ones respect them and want to learn from them, and successful fastlaners have better things to do (and better insights to share) than to rip on slowlaners...

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
It has nothing to do with luck. I grew up in a very poor, right wing Christian house and came out of it with views that couldn't be farther from what I was taught. I took responsibility for my life and success. If you're trying to argue that it's all luck, then I hope you're feeling lucky. ^_^

edit: It's choices. I make different choices. I'm not going to walk around and live life hearing 5 times a day from slowlaners that I'm a failure and my life sucks cause I don't have a degree and quit my job to start a business then feel all happy-go-lucky about them. Those types of people (who don't take responsibility, don't make good choices, and blame it all on bad luck such as that guy at Subway) put themselves on my shit list on a daily basis hahaha.

I wasn't necessarily saying you are lucky in your success. It just helps to humble myself to realize that the very fact that I think the way I do is luck. If you were born with down syndrome or an IQ of 50, your life would be very different, period. There is some luck even being born with the brain you have, but it definitely is how you use it.

Also: I grew up conservative Christian (Presbyterian) and have drastically changed views from then so I can relate. Actually even just 5 years ago I was planning on getting my juris doctor and master of divinity. Glad I didn't ;)

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Slowlaners who mock fastlaners are no better than fastlaners who mock slowlaners. The 400 million entrepreneur is a successful fastlaner, I don't know enough about the slowlaner to know whether or not he is successful, by the sounds of it, probably not.

He's been working at the company for over 20 years and in in a very high management position probably making $250k+ a year there. Not only did he dis the guy who successfully sold a company to his employer for half a billion dollars, but he was the guy in charge who failed to capitalize on the purchase hahaha. In addition to insulting him (the type of guy I look up to), he also continued to insult me and my choices. Told me I have no chance of ever starting a successful business because I didn't go to college, that I should go back, get a degree, and ask him for a job. I rolled my eyes and thanked him for meeting with me. :smilielol:

That's why I have a hard time "respecting" the other side. I'm definitely on the defensive and will be for some time. =p

ps. Yes, I know I'm heartless and ruthless. I'm cut-throat for a reason though! I can only hope one day my cut-throat attitude will come across as awesome as Kevin O'Leary's style hahaha.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
He's been working at the company for over 20 years and in in a very high management position probably making $250k+ a year there. Not only did he dis the guy who successfully sold a company to his employer for half a billion dollars, but he was the guy in charge who failed to capitalize on the purchase hahaha.

Ok, so on that kind of salary for that long he could be worth 4mil+ IF he knows what he's doing with money.
If that's the case, he's a successful slowlaner.

he also continued to insult me and my choice
He's also a jerk ;)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Assholes come in all shapes and sizes. There are plenty of Fastlaners who are also assholes.

But that's neither here nor there...

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
:eek: Thaz me hehehe

I wouldn't say you're an a**hole, just very heavily opinionated with a tendency to attempt to viciously shake down anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Paradoxically, if it were true that, "You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven" then it would be somewhat problematic to demonstrate that, "It's (the correlation between money and happiness) common sense".

I just want to step back a bit and put the belief (or non belief) that money is correlated strongly with happiness on the shelf and speak about the method behind the analysis that assists individuals in forming opinions and judgements on how the world (supposedly) works.

When looking at information, an individual has to either subscribe to the scientific-method of looking at data or some other methodology before a common-ground discussion can occur.

One can either adopt the scientific-method and seek information under that umbrella or use the pseudo-religious-method "you can't measure god (or insert whatever characteristic/phenomena) because god is subjective and can neither be proven nor disproven".

Neither method is right. Neither method is wrong. As long as everybody understands which method they are using.

Classifying a characteristic or phenomena as "unmeasurable" would (generally) fall under the pseudo-religious-method as the scientific-method is more focused on measurement. Again this is neither right nor wrong. It is simply the rationality-umbrella one uses to form opinions and judgements.

Having said that, getting back to the correlation (or lack thereof) between money and happiness. Speaking only for myself, I personally tend to use the scientific-method. This may or may not be adequate, but that's just me. And those who have used this method while looking at the correlation between money and happiness have not found any strong correlation that I am aware of.

This is not to say that there is no correlation. But only that the correlation may be strong for a small window but generally weak overall.

Those who are using a different method other than the scientific-method to analyze the correlation between money and happiness may come to different conclusions and form different opinions. Neither opinion is right nor wrong. Each has been "demonstrated" using the individual's chosen method of analyzing data.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I mentioned in a previous post, namely:

Again, it is possible that the scientific-method has yet to adequately design a study to fully analyze the correlation between money and happiness. But until that happens, for individuals that follow the scientific-method, current results will have to do (for now).

PS: This phenomena, that is, happiness associated with the material, falls under the hedonic treadmill or hedonic adaptation.

Hedonic treadmill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I totally accept the fact that people have different opinions on this subject matter. In my own life, I know this to be true. It's measurable, chartable, and real. It is best notated when you have been up and down the side of the mountain more than once, so you get the true heights and depths of what the power of money can do to making life easier, and happier. While I don't wish any of you the valleys I have experienced, I wish you all to meet me at the peaks. It's better there than in the valleys.

Generally, you and I agree. However, this most is a bunch of mumbo jumbo and psychobabble. You stated that there have been tests that have measured this. Then, when pressed, you've stated that maybe there haven't been. You've stated that you subscribe to a scientific method, and that my theory that happiness can't be measured in a test tube is lacking. You then go on to state that while it hasn't been done... that it maybe could and that proves... nothing. This debate is unwinnable.

It would be enough for you to have a divergent opinion, but then to try and frame it in some sort of intellectually superior argument comes off maybe differently that you would have wanted it to. Your position is just an emotional opinion wrapped in a blanket of scientific evidence for which there is none --- for either position. The bottom line is you can attempt to use flowery language, scientific hypothesis, or any other means to attempt to support what ever premise you choose.

My opinion and life experience tells me that...

money

buys

happiness.

Money enables you to eliminate most any problem but a relationship problem and a health problem, although money can help mitigate the brunt of both.

I also think there is a ceiling to this theory of "money buys happiness" but that ceiling probably only comes when you have enough wealth to buy what ever material possessions you desire, and buy them for those you want to buy them for in abundance, and give to what ever full measure makes you feel that giving another dollar can't possibly sustain the buzz of charitable giving to any higher highs than you have already experienced. For most people, $100k isn't even the tip of the iceberg. What I was making $40k a year... I though "if I could only make $60k. That would be it." Then, when I crossed over $60k, the number became $80k. Then six figures. The merry go round doesn't suddenly stop when you hit six figures, especially in the United States when you realize that taxes consume half of that. Any of you that think that $100k is the happiness ceiling will set a new mark when you reach that goal, especially if you are continually adjusting your standard of living as you get there.

Most people will never reach that ceiling, so while it's worthwhile as a footnote... it's not a critical distinction that there is a ceiling.

We can disagree on this point and I don't plan on belaboring it further as it has been beat to death in this forum.

I will be rolling out this morning in my F350. It makes me happier than my old, piece of shit busted down F150 did. In Minnesota today, we got our first snowfall. I will happily roll through some spots that would be problematic for smaller vehicles, and with my tow strap I may have the ability to use the towing power of this possession to help other people out. That would not have been possible with my old vehicle... and doing so makes me happy.

Was I happy driving my old jalopy? Yep. Am I happier in this F350. Absolutely. Undeniable. You would be also. In the example of this one possession, that money provided... money made me happier.

Have a good one... and for those of you in the Midwest, stay safe. If you see my big F350 on the road today... flag me down. I will happily stop for you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Who the heck knows what Rickson's opinion is on anything. I have been trying to figure his posts out the entire time I've been here.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Ok, so on that kind of salary for that long he could be worth 4mil+ IF he knows what he's doing with money.
If that's the case, he's a successful slowlaner.

He's also a jerk ;)

Success means different things to different people. I do not consider any slowlaners financially successful. Also 4 million is not even close to the freedom I am talking about.

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
I'm all for the fastlane but there is still something I'm trying to figure out and every case and point example I have with the people surrounding me prove more money doesn't mean being happier.

I know a ton of folks who are filthy rich, who wake up on Tuesdays and don't have to do anything. Yet, they have problems having kids - their marriage is a wreck etc.

I know a few people who are middle - class'ers who leverage fastlane techniques to support a few passive income businesses but don't make much more than 6-8k a month. However they have a wonderful marriage, kids, are very happy and just overall great people who contribute to society very nicely.

Money could buy happiness I think but sometimes not sure if being filthy rich is the greatest thing in the world.

Personally, if I can support my lifestyle with passive income and then some and have the time to spend random days of the weekday just volunteering/seeing family/helping my parents - I'd be more than fine. I crave the freedom aspect more.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Money buys control of your time, that generally makes people happier.

Being idle, destitute and jobless allows you time, but you don't have any resources to take advantage of it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If money does not make people happier, than the absence of money by definition cannot make people less happy.

If A=B, then B=A. It's all or nothing. You can't just make up arbitrary limits. Either money influences happiness, or it doesn't.

So... if that is the position you adopt, you might as well quit striving for success, and just be happy.

I say that is complete, 100% bullshit.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Happiest time in my life was when I was 26. Lived above a bar in a room with a door with no hinges.

It was a run down place for sure with just a bed and no kitchen and a bathroom down the hall.
It didn't bother me one bit.

I worked a full 40 hours a week at Pizza Hut and another 40 hours a week at a convenience store. I was a complete maniac training for triathlons and always finished top 10 in big races. I also drank in the bar downstairs or another one almost every night. I always had a girlfriend. Women don't really care if you have money or not, at least in my experience.

Had little money left after paying for triathlon equipment, entry fees, travel fees to Cananda and beer but DANG I was happy. The pity is I didn't realize that years later I would think back and realize how FULL of life and amazingly happy I was.

But you know what I didn't realize how fortunate I was. I took it for granted.

Would I give up everything I have to go back there again? Well, truthfully I can't so I TRY not too think about it too much.

My TINY bit of advice for those in your 20s LIVE life. Date as MANY women as you can, ALWAYS be honest and do NOT cheat on them, I am not saying that. But do NOT get serious too soon. You have your ENTIRE life ahead of you to get tied down to one women and one business.

Work your a$$ off and drink your a$$ off if that is your thing. I regret I got too serious with business too soon and wish I had kept having fun with dead end jobs longer.

Surprised? Yea I am too sometimes as what I would like to be doing as opposed to what I am doing.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
Happiest time in my life was when I was 26. Lived above a bar in a room with a door with no hinges.

It was a run down place for sure with just a bed and no kitchen and a bathroom down the hall.
It didn't bother me one bit.

I worked a full 40 hours a week at Pizza Hut and another 40 hours a week at a convenience store. I was a complete maniac training for triathlons and always finished top 10 in big races. I also drank in the bar downstairs or another one almost every night. I always had a girlfriend. Women don't really care if you have money or not, at least in my experience.

Had little money left after paying for triathlon equipment, entry fees, travel fees to Cananda and beer but DANG I was happy. The pity is I didn't realize that years later I would think back and realize how FULL of life and amazingly happy I was.

But you know what I didn't realize how fortunate I was. I took it for granted.

Would I give up everything I have to go back there again? Well, truthfully I can't so I TRY not too think about it too much.

My TINY bit of advice for those in your 20s LIVE life. Date as MANY women as you can, ALWAYS be honest and do NOT cheat on them, I am not saying that. But do NOT get serious too soon. You have your ENTIRE life ahead of you to get tied down to one women and one business.

Work your a$$ off and drink your a$$ off if that is your thing. I regret I got too serious with business too soon and wish I had kept having fun with dead end jobs longer.

Surprised? Yea I am too sometimes as what I would like to be doing as opposed to what I am doing.

This. Is. Gold.

The best job I ever had was in college working at Coldstone Creamery. Great co-workers, an awesome manager, we even made margaritas in the blenders. It was so much fun it didn't feel like a job. My girlfriend (now wife) loved it too because of the perks...can you say, birthday cake remix? ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Happiest time in my life was when I was 26.

Sad. Good memories I am sure, but still. Sad.

I am very blessed. I am living in the happiest time of my life right now, and it is getting better and better.

Entourage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Sep 12, 2012

Speed +

I do make a conscious distinction between producers and consumers. I hold producers higher in regard than consumers. In the meaning that I respect a person who tries to add value to his/her society whether it's financially; knowledge, literature or plain entertainment.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI

This is something I battle with a lot. I actually found MJ's book after breaking up with my girlfriend of three years and being stuck with a mortgage payment (lesson learned on that one).

At the time, my attitude was F*ck girls, I'm focusing on money. Now that I'm focused on money, I hear the sweet siren song of college girls pulling me away.

Life is all about balance. Work hard, play hard.

danoodle

Freedom Seeker
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 1, 2011
Kansas, toto
I think there is a miscommunication here and that we all are actually on the same page. It is a two part thing, the first being "money buys happiness". I would say everyone on here agrees it does to a point. The second distinction is very important as well being, "you can be happy without being filthy rich". These are two separate issues and both sides are arguing their case, but they can both be right.

Vigilante said, would anyone deny 100k right now, and the answer is of course not. The additional money opens up more opportunities and we all would take that without question, it would bring us all more happiness. So in this case, money does "buy" us more happiness.

The second part is, if we did not have that 100k, would we be sad/miserable (assuming we have our basic needs met)? The answer is no and also correct in that we don't NEED the money to be happy.

Money does buy happiness. But happiness is not dependent on money. I hope this clears some things up...:p

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The fact is, working hard, going to college and getting a high-paying job is a very viable path to making a decent amount of money (well into the 7-figures), if that's your goal. If someone with above-average intelligence was willing to dedicate 10-15 years of their life starting after high-school, I could easily teach them how to generate several million dollars in the "slowlane" with about 75% success rate. Yes, there are "slowlane" techniques for making lots of money and I have friends that have used these techniques to make a LOT of money several times over...and all they do is work a J-O-B.

With all of the chest beating aside, you should write a book on this. If you can encapsulate this into a cohesive coaching strategy, you have the potential of changing the lives of tens of thousands of people.

I for one would read it if for no other reason than to recommend it to others as a means of obtaining fleets of Lamborghinis. Hell... it might make me go back to school and get a job. Would you expand with at least a glimpse into the techniques? There are literally hundreds of people (as you know) that follow these posts that may benefit.

You have my attention. I am interested.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.