The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just heard a dad tell his son to go the slow lane to get a Lamborghini

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
The only thing worse than that money doesn't buy happiness quote is that it is the root of all evil. Whatever.

I like the Rick Ross line, 'being dead broke is the root of all evil, get money my nikka, do good with your people"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GreedyBGoode

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jul 7, 2014
UK
But I also believe that someone (or a family) that is happy and poor would also be happier if they were rich.

Money is merely a personality/mood modifier. So if you are inherently happy, then more money more happiness and vice versa.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Referring back to the original post...

I think most people go through life not questioning the world around them and not trying to find answers.

Obviously to the dad, Lamborghinis are cool but being able to afford a Lamborghini was never very important to him; not important enough that he would try to form a plan on actually getting one.

Most people are like that though. I remember at my former job, dudes would have calendars up with pics of supercars on them. They obviously thought those were cool cars, but neither were willing to go out of their way to be able to afford them.

Unless your parents already did the task, one must take on the daunting task of building wealth; which will probably make you want to give up more than once and test your ability to keep your sanity.

If being able to afford a lamborghini seems hard, just remember: Elon Musk is trying to get to Mars.

Kingsta

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Dec 6, 2014
Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness was broke.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I call it the "people like us" syndrome. We hear it as kids. Dad - "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Son - "I want to be a (pro football player, movie star, CEO of General Motors, the next Bill Gates...pick one)"
Dad - "That's nice, son. But people like us don't do those things. They take special talent, connections, going to schools we can't afford. Have you thought about taking the civil service exam? Get a good government job and you'll be set for life..."

As adults, we hear it from our peer group. If we try to rise above the herd, they practically shout "Wait! Get back down here! People like us don't do that." The average middle class American (can't speak for other cultures) does not get much encouragement. A few years ago, my banker's son was a stand out baseball player in high school and college. I had some connections and was able to get him a tryout with the Atlanta Braves organization. He didn't go. His parents convinced him to give up the silly dream of being a pro ball player and become a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer instead. People like us.

Cheers,
O-2

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
I worked for Microsoft for many years. I left and ultimately took a Director level position with a medium sized technology company. My boss and several of my colleagues were also previous Microsoft employees. Our company was purchased by Microsoft in 2007 for nearly $1B, less than 18 months after I took my job. I had a small equity stake in the company as part of my employment agreement. I left corporate America 12 months later after my equity had vested.

A great thing about MJ's book is that not only does it help you understand what would make your own business a success, but it also helps you in identifying whether other startups are on the road to success, if you decide to go this route.

I know a few engineers who have joined funded startups, hoping to cash in, except the whole premise of those businesses was flawed. I could see it, but they couldn't. They eventually moved on once they realized it wasn't going anywhere. One of them ended up going to yet another idiotic startup with about a 0.5% chance of ever making money.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Son: "That's okay, money doesn't buy happiness anyway."
Dad: "That's right son!"

Money does buy happiness because at the very least, you're unhappy when you lack money. So when you have ample money you are happier than when you lacked money. Therefore it buys happiness. Also, the rich people I've seen generally seemed very happy. I read an actual article that says money does make you happier and that there's no upper limit to it. The more you have the happier you become. They did a study on it. Also I think it makes you happier if you work on goals and don't think negative thoughts.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.