The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just heard a dad tell his son to go the slow lane to get a Lamborghini

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I was just in Subway for lunch when an early 1990's Diablo rolled by eliciting a lot of heard turns and chatter. I couldn't help but overhear a son asking his dad at the table next to me how to get a Lamborghini. The dad's response epitomized what this community believes about the slowlane.

The convo went like this:
Dad: "Well son, a Lamborghini is a lot of money! If you want to get one you'll have to work really hard in school, get into a good college, and get a really good desk job at some place like Microsoft. By the time your my age you would be able to afford one. And that my son, is how successful people do it."
Son: "Why don't you have a Lamborghini dad? You work really hard and did well in school!"
Dad: "Hahaha, I don't care about material possessions like that. Even if I could afford one I wouldn't ever want a car like that. I just didn't get lucky I guess."
Son: "That's okay, money doesn't buy happiness anyway."
Dad: "That's right son!"

... 2 minutes go by ...

Dad: "MAN that was a sweet car! I would kill to just have a chance to drive one."

:smilielol:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I loved the fact though that the kid sat back and absorbed this... and then said "but why then don't YOU... have one?"

That could have been me and my Dad.

(my Dad is still sad that I don't have a college degree...I have come to realize that is more about HIM than it is about me. Rejection of old school thought process is a slight on the old school. You invalidate people's advice when you find success in opposite measure. Maybe some day I will buy a college and reward myself with an honorary degree.)

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
"Money doesn't buy happiness." is an irrelevant comparison, similar to "Playing baseball doesn't help your cooking skills.". Money is money. Happiness is happiness. They're independent. If you want money, go for the money. If you want happiness focus on being happy. If you want both, then go for both.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think we can all agree on the following:

1) Fastlane isn't for everyone.
2) Slowlane isn't for everyone.
3) Entrepreneurship isn't for everyone.
4) Jobs aren't for everyone.
5) Making millions in "corporate" isn't impossible, or unachievable. (Just look at INSIDERS sales for public corporations.)
6) "Go to school and good a good job" may not be the best advice in a general context to make millions, the exception of course is if you happen to live in SF, NYC, Austin, or other startup hot-beds.
7) A 90's Lambo can pretty much be afforded by anyone who wants one bad enough.

That's it im done

As am I.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, exactly.

If my hypothetical son asked me how to get a Lambo I'd ask him 'why do you want a Lamborghini?'.

Too many ppl want a Lambo for all the wrong reasons ie. to show off, as a status symbol, to impress chicks, attention seeking etc.
Some people are genuinely passionate about cars and see a Lambo as the ultimate car, that's cool, in that case go for it, but fastlane isn't the only way to get one.

Entrepreneurship isn't the only Fastlane. What the Fastlane is to me is a belief system surrounding the power of money. The number one basic belief (or, rather, knowledge, because it's a fundamental truth) that Fastlaners have is that all money can make more money. The $20 in my wallet can yield me $1 every year in different money lending activities. Or I could use that $20 to purchase a broom and hire a neighborhood kid to sweep driveways, charging $20 and paying the kid $10, keeping $10 for myself. There are many ways to use money to make more money but the first step on becoming a Fastlaner is to know this simple truth!

This, unfortunately, isn't taught in schools (I was taught it by my folks as 'it takes money to make money', but they got it wrong: it takes VALUE to make money). If kids were taught the true power of a dollar, both the lending side (investing) and the value creation side (entrepreneurship), I honestly believe that we would grow as a species.

Funny thing, nothing here about getting a job...

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Son: "That's okay, money doesn't buy happiness anyway."
Dad: "That's right son!"

I can't stand society's preconceived notion that money doesn't buy happiness. Obviously you can't go to Walmart and buy a box of happiness off the shelf. But the way that we are supposed to perceive the statement "Money doesn't buy happiness" is such a way that it is implied that financial success makes you unhappy. Not the case at all. As said in TMF , money gives you freedom. Personally though I prefer to think of it as money gives you opportunities to fuel the passions that make you happy. If your passion is your family life, then money gives you the opportunities to travel the world with your spouse and children. If your passion is cars, then money gives you the opportunity to drive whatever you like, whether it be a new Lamborghini or a classic 69 Stingray (or better yet, both). If your passion is graphic arts, then money gives you the opportunity to start a self-employed business associated with it during your spare time, without having to worry about whether or not the venture turns a profit.

It's sort of like the math equation if a = b and b = c then a = c.

a = money
b = the opportunities and passions you desire
c = happiness

The more "a" you have, the more "b" you'll be able to afford, and the more "c" you will obtain in the process.

Oh.. and one last note... I do believe you can be happy and poor. But I also believe that someone (or a family) that is happy and poor would also be happier if they were rich.

OzGrinder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My take on this thread:

Slowlane vs Fastlane

As some others have said, you should not care nor pass judgement on someone who is not in the same "lane" as you. You read a book and have been converted so to speak. How is this not different than someone who finds god and then judges people who don't go to church? That person's standpoint and yours are the same. You both think your way is the right way and you both think that others are heading down the wrong path.

In the end, you should just care about the path you are on.

Money buying Happiness

Money does not buy happiness itself. As others have stated, you cannot just buy happiness. However, money can put you in a position to experience happiness. I think people here don't realize what makes them happy. While you may think that winning $100k itself makes you happy, the real reason you are happy is because you are thinking of what that $100k can do. You mind may have already fast forwarded to you buying a new car, paying off a credit card, making it rain in a club. That's what makes you happy.

There are alot of things that make me happy that are indirectly caused by money. For example, when I'm out playing softball I would say I'm pretty happy. However, I could not be out playing softball if I had to work that night. I'm sure I'll be happy when I am at the Super Bowl that the Bears win. Money isn't making me happy, but it's allowing me to be there and giving me the opportunity to be happy.

I've been thinking of selling my Ferrari the past few weeks. Why? Well, it's just not doing it for me anymore. However, I think of the alternative is that I sell and have a pile of cash. Now what? That pile of cash sitting in my account doesn't make me happy. In fact, it's making me less happy because it's making 0.5% interest. I guess that's a case of money buying sadness. LOL

So for those of you chasing money, there has to be some reason behind doing it. Figure out what makes you happy and use money to attain it. Else, your bank account just grows and nothing else happens.

Happiness is Relative

I do alot of traveling and have been to places where $100 a month is the minimum wage. I've seen people with standards of living well below our poverty level. What you need to realize is that what makes you happy is different than what makes others happy. So you can never assume that a person is unhappy because they don't have what you have. $500/mo overthere is considered a great salary.

While I was in Africa I went through this math. Pretend you make $5k a month, or $60k a year here in the USA.

Compare that to a person in Africa.
$500/mo salary vs. $5,000/mo salary - The difference is 10x

Compare yourself to a rich person
$5,000/mo salary vs. $50,000/mo salary - The difference is 10x

If you spend $15 on a meal in Africa, to them it looks like you are spending 3/100th of their salary on lunch. This would be like you seeing someone spend $1500 on a meal in the USA. What do you think of that person here in the USA? Rich snob? 1% er? I've often wondered what the people thought of me when I spent $5 on a can of Pringles while wearing a $100 pair of sunglasses and $500 camera around my neck. Am I viewed the same way as some dude in a Lambo with a $5000 suit is here?

Everything is relative, and the magnitude of the money doesn't correlate to the happiness it brings.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You can be happy without money.

But generally, the more money you have, the happier you can be.

Who's happier, the bum living on the streets of Chicago, or the millionaire eating grilled Mahi Mahi on his private yacht anchored off the island of Lanai'i in Hawaii?

Would you propose the person with $10 in the bank and waiting on their next paycheck to go grocery shopping... would not be any happier if they had $22k in the bank and could go when ever they wanted?

Lack of money does not equal sadness.

But yes...

Money

Buys

Happiness

And most people that don't understand that have probably never had a hit of cash significant enough to realize that.

The world wants to believe otherwise. It makes people feel good, especially people with no money, to say that money doesn't buy happiness.

But give those people the option to take $100k free and clear, and they will all take it. Why? Why would they care how much money they had if they were perfectly content with zero? The answer is because money makes things easier.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Happiest time in my life was when I was 26. Lived above a bar in a room with a door with no hinges.

It was a run down place for sure with just a bed and no kitchen and a bathroom down the hall.
It didn't bother me one bit.

I worked a full 40 hours a week at Pizza Hut and another 40 hours a week at a convenience store. I was a complete maniac training for triathlons and always finished top 10 in big races. I also drank in the bar downstairs or another one almost every night. I always had a girlfriend. Women don't really care if you have money or not, at least in my experience.

Had little money left after paying for triathlon equipment, entry fees, travel fees to Cananda and beer but DANG I was happy. The pity is I didn't realize that years later I would think back and realize how FULL of life and amazingly happy I was.

But you know what I didn't realize how fortunate I was. I took it for granted.

Would I give up everything I have to go back there again? Well, truthfully I can't so I TRY not too think about it too much.

My TINY bit of advice for those in your 20s LIVE life. Date as MANY women as you can, ALWAYS be honest and do NOT cheat on them, I am not saying that. But do NOT get serious too soon. You have your ENTIRE life ahead of you to get tied down to one women and one business.

Work your a$$ off and drink your a$$ off if that is your thing. I regret I got too serious with business too soon and wish I had kept having fun with dead end jobs longer.

Surprised? Yea I am too sometimes as what I would like to be doing as opposed to what I am doing.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Jscott. I get what you are saying. There are obviously other paths to get a few million dollars. No doubt! But 7 figures by 40 or whatever coasting along sounds like shit. At 1m you are still living in a modest house, driving modest cars, doing modest things and you certainly are not free if you want to keep your money.

My take on this stuff was that I was ALWAYS an entrepreneur. I never gave a shit in school. I knew I was never going to have to fight for a job or ever look good on paper like the rest of the sheep. I have never once used a resume. I no doubt could have made straight A's at Baylor (where I graduated from w/ a BBA) but I didn't care and made a 2.9. My business at the time took priority. I myself would never be able to make millions in the slowlane because I would be a mediocre employee at best. I just flat out do not care unless it is mine.

I have been an entrepreneur since I was 12 years old. It is in my blood I have always made more money on my own. When you start talking about the probability of making 8 figures instead of 7, a good job with equity starts to fall off a cliff statistically. Only a select few make it to the top of the ladder that way, and loyal servant career junkies would take priority over me.

So your route would never in a million years work for me. I am not saying it can't happen! I just couldn't do it. Too boring and way too little control of my future.

I would die of liver disease making 60k per year on my 45th job.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
to Vigilante: Money doesn't buy happiness unless freedom makes you happy. Some people are perfectly happy living a life of working 9 to 5 until the day they die, and who are we to undermine that? Let them be happy as they make us rich.

Also, OzGrinder: I understand what you were saying and 100% agree with you, I was just trying to clarify.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
"Money doesn't buy happiness." is an irrelevant comparison, similar to "Playing baseball doesn't help your cooking skills.". Money is money. Happiness is happiness. They're independent. If you want money, go for the money. If you want happiness focus on being happy. If you want both, then go for both.
This is how Rickson9 looks in my mind:
meditating.jpg

You have a great way to make your point across. Deep.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My TINY bit of advice for those in your 20s LIVE life. Date as MANY women as you can, ALWAYS be honest and do NOT cheat on them, I am not saying that. But do NOT get serious too soon. You have your ENTIRE life ahead of you to get tied down to one women and one business.

Work your a$$ off and drink your a$$ off if that is your thing. I regret I got too serious with business too soon and wish I had kept having fun with dead end jobs longer.

Here is the issue with me. I genuinely enjoy networking, making money, building businesses and landing large deals. These are actually my favorite things, above all else, it literally makes me the happiest.

I don't give 2 shits about drinking any more. It was once a big vice of mine especially the first 2 years after my dad died. I have had enough alcohol for my lifetime, rock bottom is not fun. I also don't really care to party my a$$ off with a bunch of people that only like to get hammered, watch football and play grab a$$. I used to run with those people, I honestly relate very little to them. I don't have cable, not because I can't afford it, because I don't give a shit about it. I watch the Texans after golf every week in the lounge at the country club, it is the only thing I watch on TV.

I am not tied down to one business, I currently own 3. My girlfriend of 4 years is great, I wouldn't cheat because I love her and I am also not interested in getting laid 7 times per day. Women have always thrown themselves at me so I got my pick. ;)

I would MUCH rather be enjoying a night out with the girlfriend, chilling on a Caribbean island, or on a golf course talking business with a select few people that I enjoy the company of. I do not think the dead end job, party and sex lifestyle applies to me whatsoever. In fact it sounds like hell.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven. There's no common objective measure of happiness, as even the term is subjective.

However, take a survey of 100 people living in a homeless shelter, and 100 multi millionaires... and I guarantee you I can predict which group will score higher on general questions about happiness. It's common sense.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Wow... I'm shocked how many people here are actually arguing against the fastlane mentallity. If you're perfectly fine with a 9 to 5 and don't see anything wrong with it, why are you here? Entrepreneurship is like the swimming scene from the movie Gattaca. Vincent plays a game of chicken with his older brother that he refuses to lose to, refuses to be weaker to. They both swim out to sea and the first person to swim back loses. Vincent's brother Anton finally asks him he keeps going and knows that he's going to be able to make it back to shore: You want to know how I did it? This is how I did it, Anton: I never saved anything for the swim back. That's the epitome of the entrepreneurs mentality right there and if you don't agree and aren't yet successful, you're clearly not listening to the people that have been there and done that because that's exactly what they'll tell you.

I'll prove to the naysayers that money is happiness.

I grew extremely poor. I associate not having money or having debt with insecurity, fear, pain, stress, and destruction of life. There is little happiness growing up when you're constantly worrying if you'll be able to eat tomorrow. So if money doesn't by happiness, does being poor?

I've been writing this out for people since I left college when people tell me being an entrepreneur means you failed in life because you couldn't get a good job.

If you work for X amount PER hour then you're working in a system where:

Time = Money

If there's anything that ALL of humanity can agree on, it's that we ALL want MORE time. Ask anybody with or without money about what they value in life and it will all have time in the equation:
  1. Time to go to the gym
  2. Time to spend with my kids
  3. Time to spend with my parents when they're old
  4. Time to spend on romantic vacations with my wife
  5. Time to travel the world
  6. Time to read and learn about the mysteries of the universe.

When a person finally realizes that the more time they have to do what they want in this short life, they realize that time is the ultimate factor in finding happiness. Thus:

Time = Happiness

If a = b, and b = c, then a = c, therefore:

Time = Money = Happiness

Tell me again why trading your time for money by sitting in traffic for two hours a day to go focus on solving other people's priorities when there are other things in life you would rather be doing is the epitome of happiness?

I haven't been on this forum long, but one of my initial impressions is that there seems to be a general attitude propagated by some posters that 'fastlaners' are superior. Even though I get the feeling some of these people aren't even successful (financially or otherwise), it comes across as if they feel they are 'superior' because they have fastlane 'INSIDERS knowledge' and simply knowing what they do makes them better than, for example, a successful slowlaner. I'm not directing this at anyone in particular btw, just making a broad observation.

There is plenty that can be learned from successful people, whether they are fastlaner or slowlaners (even sidewalkers, but probably not in regards to finance). Obviously this is the fastlane forum so the focus is (and should be) on fastlane techniques. However that doesn't mean we should actively attack anything that isn't considered fastlane. It creates a bad vibe, that will only result in driving successful people away.
Cool story bro? I hear how wrong, stupid, and insuperior I am on a daily basis from slowlaners. I just met a guy who closed down a 400 million dollar company that Microsoft bought who called the entrepreneur who sold the company a failed loser because now he doesn't have a job and it was a failed concept... he still trades his most valuable commodity, TIME, for money out of necessity while the other guy is probably off playing with his kids and sipping Mai Tai's on a beach in the Bahamas loving life. Fastlaner's are superior in the fact that they take advantage of the opportunities in front of them to position themselves in a scenario where they can enjoy their most valued commodity, time. If you think the guy with a 9 to 5 who mocks the $400 million entrepreneur is "successful..." and are worried about driving him away, his thoughts and outlook on life aren't wanted here anyway.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Paradoxically, if it were true that, "You can't measure happiness in a test tube, thus the theory can be neither proven nor disproven" then it would be somewhat problematic to demonstrate that, "It's (the correlation between money and happiness) common sense".

I just want to step back a bit and put the belief (or non belief) that money is correlated strongly with happiness on the shelf and speak about the method behind the analysis that assists individuals in forming opinions and judgements on how the world (supposedly) works.

When looking at information, an individual has to either subscribe to the scientific-method of looking at data or some other methodology before a common-ground discussion can occur.

One can either adopt the scientific-method and seek information under that umbrella or use the pseudo-religious-method "you can't measure god (or insert whatever characteristic/phenomena) because god is subjective and can neither be proven nor disproven".

Neither method is right. Neither method is wrong. As long as everybody understands which method they are using.

Classifying a characteristic or phenomena as "unmeasurable" would (generally) fall under the pseudo-religious-method as the scientific-method is more focused on measurement. Again this is neither right nor wrong. It is simply the rationality-umbrella one uses to form opinions and judgements.

Having said that, getting back to the correlation (or lack thereof) between money and happiness. Speaking only for myself, I personally tend to use the scientific-method. This may or may not be adequate, but that's just me. And those who have used this method while looking at the correlation between money and happiness have not found any strong correlation that I am aware of.

This is not to say that there is no correlation. But only that the correlation may be strong for a small window but generally weak overall.

Those who are using a different method other than the scientific-method to analyze the correlation between money and happiness may come to different conclusions and form different opinions. Neither opinion is right nor wrong. Each has been "demonstrated" using the individual's chosen method of analyzing data.

Of course, this all comes with the caveat that I mentioned in a previous post, namely:

Again, it is possible that the scientific-method has yet to adequately design a study to fully analyze the correlation between money and happiness. But until that happens, for individuals that follow the scientific-method, current results will have to do (for now).

PS: This phenomena, that is, happiness associated with the material, falls under the hedonic treadmill or hedonic adaptation.

Hedonic treadmill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I totally accept the fact that people have different opinions on this subject matter. In my own life, I know this to be true. It's measurable, chartable, and real. It is best notated when you have been up and down the side of the mountain more than once, so you get the true heights and depths of what the power of money can do to making life easier, and happier. While I don't wish any of you the valleys I have experienced, I wish you all to meet me at the peaks. It's better there than in the valleys.

Generally, you and I agree. However, this most is a bunch of mumbo jumbo and psychobabble. You stated that there have been tests that have measured this. Then, when pressed, you've stated that maybe there haven't been. You've stated that you subscribe to a scientific method, and that my theory that happiness can't be measured in a test tube is lacking. You then go on to state that while it hasn't been done... that it maybe could and that proves... nothing. This debate is unwinnable.

It would be enough for you to have a divergent opinion, but then to try and frame it in some sort of intellectually superior argument comes off maybe differently that you would have wanted it to. Your position is just an emotional opinion wrapped in a blanket of scientific evidence for which there is none --- for either position. The bottom line is you can attempt to use flowery language, scientific hypothesis, or any other means to attempt to support what ever premise you choose.

My opinion and life experience tells me that...

money

buys

happiness.

Money enables you to eliminate most any problem but a relationship problem and a health problem, although money can help mitigate the brunt of both.

I also think there is a ceiling to this theory of "money buys happiness" but that ceiling probably only comes when you have enough wealth to buy what ever material possessions you desire, and buy them for those you want to buy them for in abundance, and give to what ever full measure makes you feel that giving another dollar can't possibly sustain the buzz of charitable giving to any higher highs than you have already experienced. For most people, $100k isn't even the tip of the iceberg. What I was making $40k a year... I though "if I could only make $60k. That would be it." Then, when I crossed over $60k, the number became $80k. Then six figures. The merry go round doesn't suddenly stop when you hit six figures, especially in the United States when you realize that taxes consume half of that. Any of you that think that $100k is the happiness ceiling will set a new mark when you reach that goal, especially if you are continually adjusting your standard of living as you get there.

Most people will never reach that ceiling, so while it's worthwhile as a footnote... it's not a critical distinction that there is a ceiling.

We can disagree on this point and I don't plan on belaboring it further as it has been beat to death in this forum.

I will be rolling out this morning in my F350. It makes me happier than my old, piece of shit busted down F150 did. In Minnesota today, we got our first snowfall. I will happily roll through some spots that would be problematic for smaller vehicles, and with my tow strap I may have the ability to use the towing power of this possession to help other people out. That would not have been possible with my old vehicle... and doing so makes me happy.

Was I happy driving my old jalopy? Yep. Am I happier in this F350. Absolutely. Undeniable. You would be also. In the example of this one possession, that money provided... money made me happier.

Have a good one... and for those of you in the Midwest, stay safe. If you see my big F350 on the road today... flag me down. I will happily stop for you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you're unhappy as an entrepreneur making $1000 a month, you're not going to be happy as an entrepreneur making $100,000 a month.

---:bsflag:---

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
For most people, the Slowlane is the best advice. Not everyone is made to be an entrepreneur.

Funny thing though: anyone who can save $3000/month can 'afford' a Lamborghini. That isn't most people, mind you, but you don't have to be a millionaire or even a 6-figure guy to do it. High 5-figs will do. Financing a Lambo can be done with good credit.

If you want a Lambo really bad and don't mind being slave to your prized possession, that's how it can be done!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I found like 3 excuses why daddy is fine with mediocrity in your post. I bet he isn't up at 4 am on a sunday.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Money removes you from the enslavement of the rat race. That alone should make people happy.

I am of the mindset that more money can help me positively impact the world. I like extreme freedom and I am completely fine with admitting that I love money. I am in no way ashamed of this.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
OK... To summarize so far.

Money... Buys... Happiness.

Dad was obviously ignorant to other paths.

Kid is probably doomed to mediocrity. But we should try to track him down and give him the book.

Some people on this forum, a MILLIONAIRE FORUM mind you, act as if they are morally superior by arguing that money doesn't buy happiness even though they internally long to be millionaires and spend time on a millionaire forum trying to learn how to do it. :rolleyes:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I think JScott gets way too much hate for his comments in his thread. IMO he points out a very good strategy. Not everybody is cut out to be an entrepreneur and joining a promising company for equity is a very good alternative route. Speed++

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I call it the "people like us" syndrome. We hear it as kids. Dad - "What do you want to be when you grow up?" Son - "I want to be a (pro football player, movie star, CEO of General Motors, the next Bill Gates...pick one)"
Dad - "That's nice, son. But people like us don't do those things. They take special talent, connections, going to schools we can't afford. Have you thought about taking the civil service exam? Get a good government job and you'll be set for life..."

As adults, we hear it from our peer group. If we try to rise above the herd, they practically shout "Wait! Get back down here! People like us don't do that." The average middle class American (can't speak for other cultures) does not get much encouragement. A few years ago, my banker's son was a stand out baseball player in high school and college. I had some connections and was able to get him a tryout with the Atlanta Braves organization. He didn't go. His parents convinced him to give up the silly dream of being a pro ball player and become a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer instead. People like us.

Cheers,
O-2

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Who the heck knows what Rickson's opinion is on anything. I have been trying to figure his posts out the entire time I've been here.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Money buys control of your time, that generally makes people happier.

Being idle, destitute and jobless allows you time, but you don't have any resources to take advantage of it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Happiest time in my life was when I was 26.

Sad. Good memories I am sure, but still. Sad.

I am very blessed. I am living in the happiest time of my life right now, and it is getting better and better.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
WTF, It's sad to see respected members get into an internet testosterone war.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.