The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fresh out of highschool and very confused.

D

Dillon Reyna

So I read through The Millionaire Fastlane like monks read through the holy book, and I'm lost on something.

I've tried looking at the world around me, I've tried looking specifically into my fields of interest (language, coffee, books) and I can't find a problem that needs solving (or one that I can readily solve.)

I'm trying to combine the processes in MFL with those in "The Lean Startup" and "The 4-Hour Workweek", meaning that I understand the necessity behind passivity and iteration (for the sake of capital preservation, I'm poor.)

The only thing I can think of is to start a blog that records my language-learning journey with Turkish, but what problem does that solve?

Any idea on how to cure this...entrepreneur's block?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SmoothFranko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 31, 2015
Australia
I can see where you are coming from as I find myself currently in the same boat. Bust asking the question as you put it here:
Is the same as asking "How can I build a skyscraper" its simply too open-ended, There has been some great threads about idea generation around on the forum and I doubt that the fields you stated above haven't been covered / looked at by someone else, So I would recommend that you start there.

As for solving a problem you need to look at a specific market (preferably a profitable one and one that's not already over crowded) and then contact people in that market and there are several [GOLD] threads that also deal with this.

One of the best bits of advice I have heard thus far regarding this from @SinisterLex was:
Find out what they do. Find out who their customer is. Don't just solve the company's problem. Solve the company's customer's problems.
The context for this was to do with Copywriting but I believe that this ideal can be applied to any aspect of "Finding A Need"

-Shannon

Last edited by a moderator:

Triston

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 6, 2015
Lake Elsinore, CA
We are in a similar boat, my friend.

The only realistic solution is just to keep a positive mindset, constantly increase your knowledge, read read read, observe what other successful people have done and how they did it. Now apply similar principles in your own life, in everything that you do. Make it a habit to do everything that you do to your best ability.

You should understand that becoming a millionaire is not going to happen overnight, and that the millions of dollars you wish to posses are not actually the goal. The goal is to create something that is going to benefit other people, to make life either easier or more enjoyable for them. Although you may wish to hop into the millionaire fastlane just as much as any other person, the underlying point is that you are going to have to earn it.

It requires effort and expertise, but even more so it takes time. It is a process that is going to take careful planning and effective execution.
I know that it isn't what you want to hear but that's the reality of it. Once you come to terms that it's a process, not an event, you may begin to work at it, day by day, taking little steps and then bigger ones, until one day you are satisfied with what you have made of yourself.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I've tried looking at the world around me, I've tried looking specifically into my fields of interest (language, coffee, books) and I can't find a problem that needs solving (or one that I can readily solve.)
Nobody cares about your interests. My interests are alcohol, women, boats, and looking dashing. It's dangerous to think you need to do something in the fields your interests are. You job is to sell, not to be an expert - unless you want to build a brand as an expert, in which case you should be expert in something worthwhile. Nobody is going to make money off your passion for coffee.
I'm trying to combine the processes in MFL with those in "The Lean Startup" and "The 4-Hour Workweek", meaning that I understand the necessity behind passivity and iteration (for the sake of capital preservation, I'm poor.)
Too many processes, to many books. Do you even make a buck now?
The only thing I can think of is to start a blog that records my language-learning journey with Turkish, but what problem does that solve?
What problems do the people who learn Turkish find? Stalk them. Read comments, questions, forum thread, tweets. Identify pains. Solve pains. Acquire currency. Buy boat.
No pains? Look better. Or move on.
Not a block. Wrong mental attitude. This is the job, plain and simple.
We are in a similar boat, my friend.

The only realistic solution is just to keep a positive mindset, constantly increase your knowledge, read read read, observe what other successful people have done and how they did it. Now apply similar principles in your own life, in everything that you do. Make it a habit to do everything that you do to your best ability.

You should understand that becoming a millionaire is not going to happen overnight, and that the millions of dollars you wish to posses are not actually the goal. The goal is to create something that is going to benefit other people, to make life either easier or more enjoyable for them. Although you may wish to hop into the millionaire fastlane just as much as any other person, the underlying point is that you are going to have to earn it.

It requires effort and expertise, but even more so it takes time. It is a process that is going to take careful planning and effective execution.
I know that it isn't what you want to hear but that's the reality of it. Once you come to terms that it's a process, not an event, you may begin to work at it, day by day, taking little steps and then bigger ones, until one day you are satisfied with what you have made of yourself.
This is just meaningless drivel. Positive mindset? Read read read? All it matters is action. Make money. Shovel shit out of a stable if you have to.

sangmen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
May 10, 2015

There are problems that need to be solved. The world does not have everything. Though people have come up with different ways to add value, still problems exist in this world. And if you can solve any of those, then you are adding value, making them happy and then you become successful. Analyze the different problems a person is facing, and how a solution can be made to this problem. Once you get the solution, then comes execution. Execution is the key to any business. As mentioned in the book by MJ,a brilliant idea with no execution is just worth a mere $200, whereas a so-so idea with brilliant execution can be worth up to $350 million. Many of the guys I know tell me "I have a brilliant idea, I can make sure that so and so problem can be solved in so and so way" but have done absolutely nothing about it, and even 10 years later they still in the same place - they have the idea, but no execution.

Reading books is a good way to get a gist of how it can be done, but that doesn't mean you need to do exactly whats written in there. You need to have your own ways and principles. The books can be used just as a guide, but its ultimately you who will shape your future.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
1. Read the hustle threads and get to work.
2. Get a james altucher waiter's pad and exercise your idea muscle.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
So I read through The Millionaire Fastlane like monks read through the holy book, and I'm lost on something.

Great question!

Recently I saw one of our fastlaners sent a few of us a word doc that had (literally) hundreds of ideas for potential businesses. All he has been doing while traveling is committing to writing down 5 ideas per day. Some are total crap, some overlap, some are amazing ideas, but the point to brainstorming is to just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

It reminded me of when I was just getting started. I was in a VERY similar position trying to wrap my head around these things. So it's a little silly and maybe a little cheesy but I walked around the mall a couple times a week and just tried to find opportunities. I can't remember the majority of them now as it's been about 10 years but I remember one very clearly is that gum ball machines in malls seemed incredibly lucrative (at the time).

I think @JasonR and @biophase say it best that you aren't going to find needs sitting on the couch. Go outside and do stuff and when you run into a problem where you start thinking "man this is stupid, there has to be a better way to accomplish this" -- you might be on to something!

Good luck!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Go to your favorite coffee shop. Listen to what others complain about. Figure out a solution to their problem. Run it through the Fastlane commandments. If it fits then make 1 sale of your (product, service, etc.). Now grow it.

Let us know how it goes!

Sehcill

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Aug 19, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Your answer might be in your own thread title. Fresh out of high school.... maybe work a few months in one of the fields that you mentioned having an interest in; in my experience it's been one of the best ways to find those pain points.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Last edited by a moderator:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
You don't need to come up with a new idea at all right now. Just copy what is already selling and do it better.

When you have more experience under your belt from that, you will have an easier time connecting the dots forward to come up with something truly new that solves a need.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.