The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does the fast lane only metaphorically relate to money?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
Maybe in the context of this forum the fast lane does only relate to money.

I identify as a social entrepreneur.

I am not good at business. I am a good employee. However, I sort of suck at be an entrepreneur. My businesses have never been profitable.

I have tried to be profitable for like literally, over seven years now, since about September 2006. I will persist.

I (because of others) define social entrepreneurial endeavors as having a triple bottom line. These are people, profit and planet. That is, I want to help humans to experience more happiness and harmony, earn money and then also help the planet be a decent place that does not have smog, liter and polluted water and so forth.

With regards to the fast lane, perhaps I am partially a failure. I certainly am with regards to entrepreneurial financial profits.

However, how successful have I been with regards to people and planet? This is perhaps hard to measure.

My entrepreneurial endeavors are significantly unbalanced.

I hope that I have a least been significantly successfully with regards to people and/or planet. And that maybe I am in the fast lane with regards to the people and/or planet as it relates to social entrepreneurial endeavors. I know that I have not been successful at least with the third aspect, profit. Perhaps I one day will. I want the fast lane trifecta. However, If I can only choose one of the three social entrepreneurial legs to have fast lane success at, I'd rather be poor and have it be people or planet, but ideally, I'd like it to be all three.

I also posted this to one of my websites.

Please move this to another sub-forum if it might be more appropriate elsewhere.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I am not good at business.
"Not being good in business" is nothing more than a belief in your mind. I would start with learning how to reframe this belief. Have you ever not been good at something, and then later learned to do it well? ANY time in your history, with ANYTHING?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
However, If I can only choose one of the three social entrepreneurial legs to have fast lane success at, I'd rather be poor and have it be people or planet

Maybe there is some underlying belief that you can't have all three. Deep down maybe you believe that profit does not mix with people and planet. After all evil capitalists are to blame for the majority of earth's problems.

Create a profitable business first then you can enrich people and better the planet. Imagine what good you could do with $50M in the bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_entrepreneurship

http://www.creators.com/opinion/john-stossel/myths-about-capitalism.html

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
"Not being good in business" is nothing more than a belief in your mind. I would start with learning how to reframe this belief. Have you ever not been good at something, and then later learned to do it well? ANY time in your history, with ANYTHING?

I definitely have become better at things. For example, I have gained about 40 pounds over the last 6 or 7 years. I was never over weight. I was under my ideal weight, although I was never really underweight. I have since reached my ideal weight. Rightly or wrongly, I think learning how to control one's weight as being somewhat similar to being able to control one's financial profit in business.

I hope that just as it took my years to figure out how to successfully gain weight, I will successfully be able to gain significant profit as well. I have not given up and I will not give up. It might take me another 2 years to be successful at business, 2 months, 2 days or 20 years, or I might I might die of old age before I am successful at running a significantly profitable business. I hope that I am successful in 2 seconds, however, 2 months or 2 years is probably more realistic. However, can you or me or anyone else predict such a specific future with any significant certainty? If you can or if you know someone that can, then please do let me know!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
For example, I have gained about 40 pounds over the last 6 or 7 years
In January 2011, I was about 30 pounds overweight. By September 2012, I had lost all 30 pounds.... 20 months later. Well, it only took me 3 months to lose all that weight - it took me 17 months to change my belief what I previously thought was impossible in such a short period of time..of 3 months. It was amazing what that upward spiral of success does.

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
Maybe there is some underlying belief that you can't have all three. Deep down maybe you believe that profit does not mix with people and planet. After all evil capitalists are to blame for the majority of earth's problems.

Create a profitable business first then you can enrich people and better the planet. Imagine what good you could do with $50M in the bank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_entrepreneurship

http://www.creators.com/opinion/john-stossel/myths-about-capitalism.html

Perhaps you are right!

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
In January 2011, I was about 30 pounds overweight. By September 2012, I had lost all 30 pounds.... 20 months later. Well, it only took me 3 months to lose all that weight - it took me 17 months to change my belief what I previously thought was impossible in such a short period of time..of 3 months. It was amazing what that upward spiral of success does.

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Hopefully I can change my flawed thoughts sooner than later. What is the best method to figure out what my flawed thoughts are? I think capitalism is alright as long is business is conducted ethically. I think that Whole Foods and Costco are great models of businesses that are being ethical and successful.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
When you imagine 50 million in your bank account...

Do you feel guilty?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Making profit is about cashflow, overheads, and admin/management.

What bad practices are you doing? You said you were unbalanced so I'll start there.
Changing the planet will not do the books for you. Changing the planet gives you no "get out of jail free card". You have to RUN the business professionally and remove all the holes, snags, overlooked risks, inefficiencies and dangers. You have to know where the money is going and why and adjust strategy to ammend it.
A business can be eco-generous, but it cannot be naive regarding internal structures and use of money.

First check outgoings (what are you spending on, can anything be cut or changed to another seller or provider) streamline it.
Then check, transit, stuff like fees, unexpected failures, people not paying what they owe, harness that and make sure it is under a system that can help it stay in check rather than be an unknown quantity.
Check what you are spending on, and your assets, do you have tons of stock? Too many workers? And make it more relevant to what your business needs to run, rather than throwing money at the problem.
Check on traffic, and what issues are happening their, low traffic? Why? Low sales? Why?
Then check and test market demand, and if there isn't a sufficient market, start rethinking the idea.

Profit is all about being on top of your numbers like a hawk, because they will show you where you are bleeding from and that will tell you what you need to do to improve.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Do you feel guilty?

Also, just focus on PROFIT. Even ECO businesses can achieve that!

Come on! No excuses!

Don't fantasize about the money amounts in fairy land, focus on the bottom line and what you are actually going to do about it.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I just finished the book "Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think" by Peter H. Diamandis & Steven Kotler

From what you said, it seems like you would enjoy it.

Also, there is something called the "GameChangers 500" which lists the "
The World’s Top Purpose-Driven Companies". Kind of like the Inc, Forbes, etc. lists but with a different way of measuring (not just focused on revenue and/or profit numbers). The overall theme seems to be, how is this company helping the planet and the people?

http://gamechangers500.com/

The example that I can think of off the top of my head is TOMS. I have never bought their shoes, but they have their "One for One" program where they match every shoe purchased with a shoe given to people who need it.

http://www.toms.com/

http://www.toms.com/one-for-one-en

People, Profit, Planet ... nice ;) I am sure there are companies who are helping all of those at once.

PS: Check out the book I mentioned above. "Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think" by Peter H. Diamandis & Steven Kotler

Edited: (Wanted to bold "GameChangers 500" too.)

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom

I identify as a social entrepreneur.

I am not good at business. I am a good employee. However, I sort of suck at be an entrepreneur. My businesses have never been profitable.

I have tried to be profitable for like literally, over seven years now, since about September 2006. I will persist.

I (because of others) define social entrepreneurial endeavors as having a triple bottom line. These are people, profit and planet. That is, I want to help humans to experience more happiness and harmony, earn money and then also help the planet be a decent place that does not have smog, liter and polluted water and so forth.

With regards to the fast lane, perhaps I am partially a failure. I certainly am with regards to entrepreneurial financial profits.

However, how successful have I been with regards to people and planet? This is perhaps hard to measure.

My entrepreneurial endeavors are significantly unbalanced.

I hope that I have a least been significantly successfully with regards to people and/or planet. And that maybe I am in the fast lane with regards to the people and/or planet as it relates to social entrepreneurial endeavors. I know that I have not been successful at least with the third aspect, profit. Perhaps I one day will. I want the fast lane trifecta. However, If I can only choose one of the three social entrepreneurial legs to have fast lane success at, I'd rather be poor and have it be people or planet, but ideally, I'd like it to be all three.

I also posted this to one of my websites.

Please move this to another sub-forum if it might be more appropriate elsewhere.

Classic faulty financial blueprint talking here. Here goes :

You equate money with greed, destruction, pain and dishonesty. So deep down, the files in your mind will NOT let you make any no matter WHAT you do. The moment you logically are doing well, you will self-sabotage it in order to remain "humble". Your core inner deepest belief is that the rich are dishonest, greedy, selfish and profit of the sweat of the poor man's back. You think that you just cannot be rich and actually be a nice person. That's what it comes down to.

"However, If I can only choose one of the three social entrepreneurial legs to have fast lane success at, I'd rather be poor and have it be people or planet, but ideally, I'd like it to be all three." --You have answered your own question. You think poverty is noble. Most people cannot EVER be rich because they equate richness = dirt and filth.

It's your mind, not the businesses you need to sort out.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I am a social entrepreneur too. And I make an absolute killing (yes, pun intended) at Business. I know that this entire world revolves around money and the first thing I upgraded was my money mindset. Money mindset is the HARDEST to upgrade because the world is filled with MONEY IS EVIL. SLAVE AWAY FOR IT BUT DON'T YOU DARE THINK THAT YOU OF ALL PEOPLE CAN BE RICH NO NO. YOU CANNOT BE RICH AT ALL. RICHES ARE FOR THE EVIL PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO HEART AND SOUL.

I got plenty heart and soul and then some. As long as I am respecting people, my bottom line comes first. (This is the bit where your subconscious will kick in and say "See, she is greedy. All she cares about is money"). Look at your parents and how they spoke about money and examine your REAL discomfort when it comes to money. You will find more than what you bargained for in Pandora's Box.

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
I am a social entrepreneur too. And I make an absolute killing (yes, pun intended) at Business. I know that this entire world revolves around money and the first thing I upgraded was my money mindset. Money mindset is the HARDEST to upgrade because the world is filled with MONEY IS EVIL. SLAVE AWAY FOR IT BUT DON'T YOU DARE THINK THAT YOU OF ALL PEOPLE CAN BE RICH NO NO. YOU CANNOT BE RICH AT ALL. RICHES ARE FOR THE EVIL PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO HEART AND SOUL.

I got plenty heart and soul and then some. As long as I am respecting people, my bottom line comes first. (This is the bit where your subconscious will kick in and say "See, she is greedy. All she cares about is money"). Look at your parents and how they spoke about money and examine your REAL discomfort when it comes to money. You will find more than what you bargained for in Pandora's Box.

I'll ponder that some. Thanks. :)

I just finished the book "Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think" by Peter H. Diamandis & Steven Kotler

From what you said, it seems like you would enjoy it.

Also, there is something called the "GameChangers 500" which lists the "The World’s Top Purpose-Driven Companies". Kind of like the Inc, Forbes, etc. lists but with a different way of measuring (not just focused on revenue and/or profit numbers). The overall theme seems to be, how is this company helping the planet and the people?

http://gamechangers500.com/

The example that I can think of off the top of my head is TOMS. I have never bought their shoes, but they have their "One for One" program where they match every shoe purchased with a shoe given to people who need it.

http://www.toms.com/

http://www.toms.com/one-for-one-en

People, Profit, Planet ... nice ;) I am sure there are companies who are helping all of those at once.

PS: Check out the book I mentioned above. "Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think" by Peter H. Diamandis & Steven Kotler

Edited: (Wanted to bold "GameChangers 500" too.)

I have listened to Abundance, and that is a GREAT book! I'll look more into the Game Changers though; I don't think I've heard of that. Thanks!

Also, just focus on PROFIT. Even ECO businesses can achieve that!

Come on! No excuses!

Don't fantasize about the money amounts in fairy land, focus on the bottom line and what you are actually going to do about it.

Indeed. I need to take personal responsibility for my situation and try to do that. The bad business practices that I engage in are sometimes wasting time and not focusing on polishing products enough. I think that those are the two biggest problems I have from a behavioral perspective.

Do you feel guilty?
That just by self, no, not at all. If I imagine that I stole the money or damaged others to get it than I imagine myself not feeling good about it. If I imagine myself having earned the money from helping others, then I imagine myself feeling GREAT about it!

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
MONEY IS EVIL. SLAVE AWAY FOR IT BUT DON'T YOU DARE THINK THAT YOU OF ALL PEOPLE CAN BE RICH NO NO. YOU CANNOT BE RICH AT ALL. RICHES ARE FOR THE EVIL PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO HEART AND SOUL.

Its surprising to me that you would say this in all caps nadia.

(just kidding)

Yeah, to me the whole "I don't deserve money" thing lifted off my shoulders when I realised that I truly don't give a d#mn what anyone thinks. I'm nauseus, sweaty, cooped up in my apartment and I can't afford a damn mango to settle my nerves. And that is about the point I just LOSE CONTROL, kick over desks and SCREAM.

You know why? Because its my own d#mn fault.

Yes, its my own d#mn fault I was cooped up, and slaving away like a monkey in boiler room conditions. And you know what I end up saying...

F#CK THIS!!!

I want my mango! And if can't have that mango, I'm not gonna work, you can kill me if you like, I want that mango!

Strange thing is, after thinking like this, you really don't look at money the same way. You just look at it like "I really dont care how much it is, so long as I get my d#mn mango".
All you ever think, is throbbing in your head, "I can't hear you over the mango song bro", so you make money to shut it up, so you can get some peace of mind and just relax and do your work.

Worrying about if you DESERVE money is a luxury problem. Thinking "d#mn its hot in here and 2$ will get that window open" and you will run and scream and break down walls until you make that 2$. Seriously.

Thats the key. Go a little crazy. Then you really won't care and it'll be very genuine.
Don't think in money, think in pain.

When it stings you as deep as a bee, wiggling its stinger all the way into you skin. Thats when you go "HULK SMASH!"

Its the smaller and more trivial emotions (not the big profound statements) that'll keep ya FED.

Last edited:

Michael Ten

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 14, 2013
Earth
Its surprising to me that you would say this in all caps nadia.

(just kidding)

Yeah, to me the whole "I don't deserve money" thing lifted off my shoulders when I realised that I truly don't give a d#mn what anyone thinks. I'm nauseus, sweaty, cooped up in my apartment and I can't afford a damn mango to settle my nerves. And that is about the point I just LOSE CONTROL, kick over desks and SCREAM.

You know why? Because its my own d#mn fault.

Yes, its my own d#mn fault I was cooped up, and slaving away like a monkey in boiler room conditions. And you know what I end up saying...

F#CK THIS!!!

I want my mango! And if can't have that mango, I'm not gonna work, you can kill me if you like, I want that mango!

Strange thing is, after thinking like this, you really don't look at money the same way. You just look at it like "I really dont care how much it is, so long as I get my d#mn mango".
All you ever think, is throbbing in your head, "I can't hear you over the mango song bro", so you make money to shut it up, so you can get some peace of mind and just relax and do your work.

Worrying about if you DESERVE money is a luxury problem. Thinking "d#mn its hot in here and 2$ will get that window open" and you will run and scream and break down walls until you make that 2$. Seriously.

Thats the key. Go a little crazy. Then you really won't care and it'll be very genuine.
Don't think in money, think in pain.

When it stings you as deep as a bee, wiggling its stinger all the way into you skin. Thats when you go "HULK SMASH!"

Its the smaller and more trivial emotions (not the big profound statements) that'll keep ya FED.

Yeah, maybe I just need to want more money more and to make it a higher priority.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK

I feel the fastlane refers more to Scale than Money, someone making 20k a week on affiliate marketing isnt fastlane but they make a lot of money... Facebook didnt make much money for ages but it was fastlane as it had huge scale.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I will post my thoughts here because in my head yes it only metaphorically relates to money. here on the forum it is measured in $$$.

for me it is not about money. it is about being in control. it is about being free. it is about not needing anyone elses approval to do what I want.

money is a means to an end. but the fastlane is to me a mindset. I believe I reached this mindset long before I found the "fastlane" I am already here. I don't have material validation yet, but that's ok. I have that freedom. my goal is to help create that freedom for the other people in my life. and that for them happens to require $. so $$ is what the target is. but the goal or the fastlane is freedom. at least to me.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
, maybe I just need to want more money more and to make it a higher priority

Well, money is the wrong priority, because it has no "balance" in and of itself. If your goal is money, you really don't have a goal.
What makes more sense is transforming your business so that it converts overheads into profit at a steady margin that rewards you and doesn't tie you down forever in that business.
Thats it.

Profits turn into cash in your wallet, and cash in your wallet equals sanity.

Its not like you should go for "metaphorical success in my bank account", few people actually care about that (thats probably why they spend it all on stupid stuff that makes no sense).
You should just be SERIOUS about getting business to profit, because profit validates NEED and when you have that validated, you ARE helping people in a sustainable way.
BEFORE profit you are just mentally masturbating around a business IDEA.

If the idea is any good, it should hold up to rigorous testing and endure attempts to scale it. Turning what profits you do get into a big pie, which allows you to build more businesses, help more people, do more good for the environment etc.

But all those wishes are for nothing if you can't get your concepts tested and running in a profit.

I have a little mantra in my head "profit is the truth", and I say that to constantly ward off any unsavory thoughts about "deserving" etc, because if profit is the truth, then what LIES are stopping it from happening?

You remove all the paranoia, scared kitty, screaming voices in your head, and you just say "todays mission is to make our road to profit clear as daylight" and you get to that every day.
Why live in virtue in the dark?
Afraid it won't be pretty in the daylight?
Maybe it'll be prettier!!!

Fact is, you just don't know until you are running profit.
And profit imo, is the enlightened approach to business, because, money means nothing, its the businesses that matter. So lets make sure they are d#mn good ones with a clear road to profit all tightened up, yeah?

AND BTW!!!!
Cash FLOW is KING.
If nothing can stop cash flow and you are in control of it!!!
Then OMG you are FREE!!!

You do not need millions! You just need cashflow to consistently cover all costs!!! (If you make more money in a month invest it into a buffer for your cash flow to compensate for fluctuations)
Cuz once the flow can't be stopped or choked, or held down, you are THERE.

I made this huge realisation a month ago "no one can stop me if cashflow always covers costs, you have permission to stop being a cheapo, start buying stuff you need".

You don't NEED to be rich, you just need to make cashflow STRONG and JUST into the profits. And bingo, you are there! Candy land!!! Where you can do whatever you like!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.