The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not Taking Action? BS! You are ALWAYS taking action

Anything related to matters of the mind

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Why do people think business is some sort of voodoo magic? You have to get good at it like anything else in life, and in order to get good at it you need to practice, in the real world. The purpose of business books and advice is to shorten your learning curve, not eliminate it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SwoleBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Feb 14, 2015
I'm going to disagree with you on this one and agree with @Maxjohan - It is better to really get the right knowledge in your head before just going out there and randomly trying to take action.

I really want to be healthy in my older years so I'm gonna start going to the gym when I'm sure I have the perfect workout routine. I'm gonna read a lot of books and really get the right exercises and diet down before I start going though.

I don't want to go into the gym and do the bench press the wrong way. It's better to really read up on how to do the perfect bench press before I potentially grip the barbell too close together and not workout the right parts of my chest.

This knowledge will really help me in a few years.

In fact, I've been following this strategy for the last couple of years and I've got some AMAZING insights from reading bodybuilding.com

<grabs Doritos>.

You fool.....How is your "I actually workout and eat healthy every day" thing working out for you?
Ok, so i am not the richest over here, but if there is one thing i know, its working out. Your mentality of waiting until you have the perfect workout routine is just laziness disguised as desire. There is no such thing as the perfect workout routine, BELIEVEEEEE me on this one. When i first started working out i had the same mentality as you, guess what... I made NO progress. NONE. Fast forward one year, i am one of the strongest guys in the gym, why? I asked all the biggest guys in the gym for advice and immediately applied them to my workout routine. I didn't wait until i had "perfect" form down. Believe it or not, no matter how much you read up on perfect form, until you actually practice, your form will never be perfect. Sorry, I know this isn't a fitness forum, but your comment bugged the hell out of me. Trust me on this one your passive mentality won't get you far, if you want to get healthy and fit its all about taking action. Like Arnold once said, "you can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets."

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Ok, so i am not the richest over here, but if there is one thing i know, its working out. Your mentality of waiting until you have the perfect workout routine is just laziness disguised as desire. There is no such thing as the perfect workout routine, BELIEVEEEEE me on this one. When i first started working out i had the same mentality as you, guess what... I made NO progress. NONE. Fast forward one year, i am one of the strongest guys in the gym, why? I asked all the biggest guys in the gym for advice and immediately applied them to my workout routine. I didn't wait until i had "perfect" form down. Believe it or not, no matter how much you read up on perfect form, until you actually practice, your form will never be perfect. Sorry, I know this isn't a fitness forum, but your comment bugged the hell out of me. Trust me on this one your passive mentality won't get you far, if you want to get healthy and fit its all about taking action. Like Arnold once said, "you can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets."

That was @AndrewNC point too, he was just being sarcastic and used an analogy to prove the ridiculousness of what Max is saying. What you said applies great for fitness and business alike, which is what the majority of people on this thread are trying to say. Get started, mess up a bit, learn as you go and really experience taking action, success and the process.

SwoleBro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Feb 14, 2015
That was @AndrewNC point too, he was just being sarcastic and used an analogy to prove the ridiculousness of what Max is saying. What you said applies great for fitness and business alike, which is what the majority of people on this thread are trying to say. Get started, mess up a bit, learn as you go and really experience taking action, success and the process.
I apologize for the misunderstanding! I should have caught that.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I am glad you did though for the gem from Arnie...

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
No... What's your plan? I'm not gonna answer shit til you answer yourself. Just so you can slam me with some Kevin O'Leary quote. I'm not falling for this bait.

I feel for you Max, I see what you see, ha. Its going over Csalto's head, cuz he's not looking at the person, he's nitpicking an overall arc (dw, everyone's arc looks bad until they are already successful, so its inadmissable).

My plan:
- Number one right now is the exact right marketting channels, digging them up, and finding the best deals while questioning my own mindset/approach.

I try to hover around ONE active thing at a time, last year it was sourcing exact materials and finding the right cost effective solutions.

Its not flashy, but its getting it done.

Its a shame Csalto is nitpicking you, I think you have an intriguing view.
He is probably just sensing that you are "ripe" for self questioning. And is being a bit of a clunker.
*sigh*

Sorry bout that.

I try to just judge productivity on clarity and the results my focuses are building.
Anyways, much respect, you have your view, and I don't think anyone jabbing it is helpful, so I agree with you.

It doesn't pay for knowledge (I can't invoice you because I read a book).

Neither does it pay for activity (I can't invoice you because I was really busy).

Ha, well, I can bill you for
- Time
- Expertise
- Previously agreed upon fees
- The exchange of services

So, theoretically, I could BS and waste your time, manipulate you and make it impossible for you to clearly refute my expertise, I could challenge/bully you up front for your agreement of fees, I could apply services that meet the minimum expectation.

And I can BILL YOU.

Ahem, :p
Sorry about that.

I think in general you need a mvp, and to cut down on "billable" inflationary tactics, in place of great results.

Ha, soz, you know that. I'm just poking fun at "billable", cuz its ironic how many people do that in a deceptive way subconsciously.
Such as going to work and handing their boss a bill for cruising the net.

There's always missing puzzle pieces, and when you're finished with one puzzle, the next one comes along. There's always a point you don't know what you're doing until you've mastered it, and you move on to something else

Yeah, that cyclical b#tch slap machine.
Can't let it hold you hostage.

curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 8, 2014
Ireland
I'm with csalvato on this one, I have learned so many lesson from jumping in to the trenches too quick stuff that books never thought me or even prepared me for, but I am growing from every experience something books won't give me.

Just to give my own piece I would much rather be out there swinging the bat learning what technique works for me than watching other perfecting there technique and I might never be able to copy them.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
watching other perfecting there technique and I might never be able to copy them.
I don't watch to copy them, I watch to see what's not working for them. Why make the same mistakes. lol

curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 8, 2014
Ireland
I don't watch to copy them, I watch to see what's not working for them. Why make the same mistakes. lol
Same thing really what doesn't work for them doesn't mean it can't work for you, just saying your own experience will be more valuable than other, this could on for a long time

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
The only thing in matters in this world is results.
Results come from Action.

Truth is in the numbers. Results are the reality.

If my family is hungry, I can sit there and talk about all the delicious foods,
different techniques, and paint this magnificent picture about a feast of all the delicacies from around the world.

Will that quench their hunger?
F*ck no.

The only thing that matters at that point is, CAN YOU GET UP AND COOK SOME DAMN FOOD?

If you can't cook, get out of the way and let someone who can cook step in.
The reality is either you cook and eliminate hunger, or don't.
Simple as that.

Either you have results or you have excuses.
Either way, it's your choice, and your responsibility.

What choice will you make?

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
Learning loop vs Action without Reading vs Action AND Reading

Which will you choose?

HGUC2lj.jpg

Source: Adapted from Problem Solving 101, a book well worth the read.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Personally I think every person will get there differently and I don't think it will ever be the same path.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Personally I think every person will get there differently and I don't think it will ever be the same path.
Of course. There are tons of different paths. Unfortunately "every person" wont get there.
Many people fall into the "learning loop" thinking they need to continue to research and learn, then they eventually get started and realize how much time they wasted in the "learning loop." Often times, those people will try to help people who, like they once were, are in the learning loop, some listen to the lesson, learn, get started and move closer to their goals. On the other hand there are others who let fear run their life, thinking they still lack that one key piece of information needed to get started, they have a limiting belief that they can't do it, they aren't smart enough, they haven't "researched" enough.
They let fear and limiting beliefs keep them in the same cycle, hopefully one day they break out of it, often they don't.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
thinking they still lack that one key piece of information needed to get started
I used to be guilty of this - until I got over it.

I realized that 1) that last piece probably doesn't exist (and if it did, it's probably proprietary/secret), 2) I can always figure it out as I go, 3) I'm going to get far more information by doing, not just because I'll learn lessons myself, but because I'll be exposed to people who will see I'm working toward something and will want to help me because of it (as opposed to someone doing nothing just vacuuming up other people's hard earned information).

A quote you'll never read: "I thought about becoming a top basketball player. So, I read a lot of books on basketball - probably 20 over the course of the year. But I knew, I would never succeed unless Lebron James told me that one secret - the big key - to making every shot. Once he told me, I shot a basketball for the first time ever, and I was so successful that I was drafted by the NBA."

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.