• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

You've made the money, please share how you keep it.

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Allthingznew, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $85
    I was thinking this morning that one of the things I’d be interested in hearing is what kind of “spending intelligence†should we have? I’ve seen topics discussed among those who have “made it†about how quickly they could recoup their losses and re-establish themselves should disaster hit due to the knowledge they now possess.

The primary focus of this board is getting into the fast lane to financial freedom, which I believe to be a worthy goal and great topic and focus especially since there has never been a better time to speed up the wealth accumulation process.

My question goes to the knowledge you (those who have “made it†or are well on the way to “making itâ€) have acquired in regard to keeping the money you make. We all hear the story of people getting raises and that just means they spend more. I think the danger of traveling in the fast lane for some people is they won’t learn how to keep what they make and will run out of gas.

We hear stories of many people who win the lottery, and when you hear about them a few years later, they are worse off than before, or at least they’ve lost what they won. Why? Because they didn’t have the knowledge to hang on to it and they spent it. If someone has the habit of spending more than they make, if they find a way to make it in the fast lane, it may just be a matter of time before they’re too far over their heads anyway.

So, in relation to keeping what you make, what did you have to learn that made a difference? What disciplines/habits have you acquired? What thought processes changed for you? Was there anything you had to learn the hard way? Aside from mortgages and business loans, anything one would consider “good debtâ€, do you have any debt? Do you pay cash for the Lambo? Let us learn from your wisdom. Please don’t feel limited by these questions, they’re just to convey the idea and start the process. Anything you have learned should be of value.

2. Russ H

Russ H Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,285
    Allthingznew-

That's exaclty where this thread is going:

http://thefastlanetomillions.com/showthread.php?t=544

(at least the first part).

You might want to try it, to see what you come up with.

We'll be moving through the various steps. Every one has their own way of doing this.

:banana:

-Russ H.

(. . . with apologies for hijacking this thread ;) )

3. Allthingznew

Allthingznew Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $85
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread. Great post.

4. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $366,348
    Admin Post
    I think the biggest thing one needs to avoid is to spend as your income grows. This is the pitfall that destroys most people, even those in high income brackets.

If they earn $10K/mo, they spend $11/K month
    If they earn $50K/mo, they spend $55/K month
    If they earn $100K/mo, they spend $110/K month

I've been very careful to limit my personal monthly spending and would say personal expenditures go up at a 10:1 ratio. For every $10 my income goes up, I am allowed to spend another $1 on foolish things like cars and other doodads. This way, I enjoy an increased standard of living and have a large nest egg to put forth into future investments. If not, I live off the municipal bond interest, tax-free.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.