The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Youtube / Social Media - What separates the average creator from the one that gets people hooked? This is something that has fascinated me.

Social media marketing, advertising, and growth

NotAnotherUser11

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 23, 2019
I guess I feel the need to preface this with me saying - I know youtube is not the traditional business format and most certainly not fast lane. You're constantly creating, and although you DO make money while you sleep (via old video views) - Once you stop, so does your income. It's not like a book, software, ect.

I ask this in a 2 parted way. The first being how YOU the consumer views creators and how you develop an interest in them, and two - the science / psychology behind why we get attached to certain people and why others fail.

There is this guy I watch, his channel name is SteveTheGamer55. His content is just... normal? Is that a good way to put it? No funny voices, no excessive editing, no hyper niche category or style.... he's just a normal guy - that's it! This is not to say he is unremarkable or untalented, I get drawn into his videos even if I am not really interested in the premise to start with! You just want to keep watching.

Now why does this type of "Average joe" persona (Though it's not like he's in character or anything)work and bring in tens of thousands of views per video - which is an absolutely decent chunk of change By the way, but fail for so many others.

I remember mentioning POP figures to my friends. I jokingly said "Can you imagine coming up with these toys in a product pitch. Cartoonesque figurines based off of popular comics, movies, and people". You'd be laughed at - hasn't that been tried a million times? What would make POP so different? And look at them, they DOMINATE most collectible shops I go to! They're endless.

Sort of the same premise here, channels that pop up that are really really unremarkable but get you COMPLETELY HOOKED on their content. They don't click bait, they don't start the video screaming "WATTTT IS UP GUYS TODAY WE DRIVIN A CAR INTO A LAKE ON FIREE!!!" and there is no real gimmick. They just....are? Haha how else can I really word it?

This post is terribly convoluted, it's simply that I am trying to understand the science and psychology as to why some people seemingly create goldmine content effortlessly on youtube and why others fail so hard despite the attempts to study, emulate, and succeed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I guess I feel the need to preface this with me saying - I know youtube is not the traditional business format and most certainly not fast lane. You're constantly creating, and although you DO make money while you sleep (via old video views) - Once you stop, so does your income. It's not like a book, software, ect.

I ask this in a 2 parted way. The first being how YOU the consumer views creators and how you develop an interest in them, and two - the science / psychology behind why we get attached to certain people and why others fail.

There is this guy I watch, his channel name is SteveTheGamer55. His content is just... normal? Is that a good way to put it? No funny voices, no excessive editing, no hyper niche category or style.... he's just a normal guy - that's it! This is not to say he is unremarkable or untalented, I get drawn into his videos even if I am not really interested in the premise to start with! You just want to keep watching.

Now why does this type of "Average joe" persona (Though it's not like he's in character or anything)work and bring in tens of thousands of views per video - which is an absolutely decent chunk of change By the way, but fail for so many others.

I remember mentioning POP figures to my friends. I jokingly said "Can you imagine coming up with these toys in a product pitch. Cartoonesque figurines based off of popular comics, movies, and people". You'd be laughed at - hasn't that been tried a million times? What would make POP so different? And look at them, they DOMINATE most collectible shops I go to! They're endless.

Sort of the same premise here, channels that pop up that are really really unremarkable but get you COMPLETELY HOOKED on their content. They don't click bait, they don't start the video screaming "WATTTT IS UP GUYS TODAY WE DRIVIN A CAR INTO A LAKE ON FIREE!!!" and there is no real gimmick. They just....are? Haha how else can I really word it?

This post is terribly convoluted, it's simply that I am trying to understand the science and psychology as to why some people seemingly create goldmine content effortlessly on youtube and why others fail so hard despite the attempts to study, emulate, and succeed.
Hmmm... Why do you think using YouTube as a marketing channel doesn’t help people create Fastlane businesses?

Also, you don’t have to continuously create content... you just have to have it continuously found.

Maybe the normal guy gets viewers for his content, and by people tired of gimmicks? I heard there was a trend away from over-produced to more natural.

Also... maybe he makes sure he creates content for the Youtube algorithm as well as for viewers.

Curious what you think @Fox @lowtek ?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

to...

Youtube isn't about ads (just a bonus)- it is about creating an audience that trusts you and then creating something of value to offer them.

EPerceptions

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jun 6, 2013
Virginia/Arizona
FWIW I generally like youtubers that teach or show something I'm interested in.

I completely detest talking head videos and consider them a waste of time and bandwidth, but I will watch someone showing a time lapse of replacing their RV dinette with a couch for instance, or driving on a road trip, playing a game, etc.

With that said however, there are caveats. I love crafts and DIY for instance, but I can't stand the sound of the voices on some of the cutesy women's channels. Most "women-oriented" stuff is too cutesy for my taste.

In general, I find that most social media oriented stuff is too drama filled. Instagram reminds me of high school and some of the drama kings/queens on Youtube make me grind my teeth.

So: Useful, not too sugary/grating sound-wise, no obvious BS, low drama, natural advertising/product placement as part of the content (not the sole content).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.