The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YouTube Direction Help

Marketing, social media, advertising

SinFa

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 22, 2016
London, UK
Hi there,

My wife and I run a YouTube channel and we're kind of stuck. The channel is a non-English speaking channel with 20k subscribers.

Our channel started off as a UK lifestyle and fashion channel. However, around 6 months ago, we branched off to UK properties and immigration too due to our home country's political situation - you might be able to guess where we're from. Anyways, we managed to double our subscriber count (+10K) by catching the migration wave but it's dying down now.

The issue we're having at the moment is that there is a huge divergence in the audience between the 2 groups of audience; UK lifestyle and fashion subscribers are typically < 35 year old females, whilst UK properties and immigration are mainly > 45 year old males. As such, when we post a video, we're only able to cater to one group of subscribers, which in our opinion, hinders the video's delivery and overall channel growth.

Currently, we are considering splitting into 2 channels, but aren't sure how to go about it, or whether it's even the right decision. For example, if we're creating a new channel, should we delete all content from original channel and move it to the new one, or repost? How do you advertise the new channel? How would the old channel be impacted?

Are there any YouTubers here who've went through a similar situation, how did you fix it in the end?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi there,

My wife and I run a YouTube channel and we're kind of stuck. The channel is a non-English speaking channel with 20k subscribers.

Our channel started off as a UK lifestyle and fashion channel. However, around 6 months ago, we branched off to UK properties and immigration too due to our home country's political situation - you might be able to guess where we're from. Anyways, we managed to double our subscriber count (+10K) by catching the migration wave but it's dying down now.

The issue we're having at the moment is that there is a huge divergence in the audience between the 2 groups of audience; UK lifestyle and fashion subscribers are typically < 35 year old females, whilst UK properties and immigration are mainly > 45 year old males. As such, when we post a video, we're only able to cater to one group of subscribers, which in our opinion, hinders the video's delivery and overall channel growth.

Currently, we are considering splitting into 2 channels, but aren't sure how to go about it, or whether it's even the right decision. For example, if we're creating a new channel, should we delete all content from original channel and move it to the new one, or repost? How do you advertise the new channel? How would the old channel be impacted?

Are there any YouTubers here who've went through a similar situation, how did you fix it in the end?

Thanks!
Congrats on getting to 20k subscribers. I never quite got to grips with YouTube. I’d guess it’s better to split the channels if your subscribers are only interested in one of the two themes.

Hmm... What would I do?

Maybe put out a video asking your subscribers what they’d like to see you do? Ask your email lists and social media channels too if appropriate.

I wouldn’t delete old videos.

Maybe start with different playlists?

@Fox ... I presume you’re still big into YouTube. What would you recommend?

Also, this thread links to various progress threads. Maybe some might help you on your journey.

EVMaso

Calm Seas
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Apr 28, 2019
Vancouver, Canada
Pick a direction for your current channel. Whether it's the immigration crowd or lifestyle crowd. Videos aimed at that crowd should go on the current channel.

For the other audience, start a new channel.

Be careful if you decide to delete/privatize/delist your old videos, you will lose those watch hours and that might sink you into demonetization. They really won't affect your channel all that much moving forward, so I would just leave them alone. Lots of channels have done pivots and have left their old videos as they are.

I am unfamiliar with how YouTube views duplicate posts, like say you were to take some of your old videos and simply repost them onto your incoming new channel. If I were to do that, I would try and edit the original video somehow, maybe add some updated commentary towards the beginning or end, complete with new thumbnail and title.

SinFa

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 22, 2016
London, UK
Congrats on getting to 20k subscribers. I never quite got to grips with YouTube. I’d guess it’s better to split the channels if your subscribers are only interested in one of the two themes.

Hmm... What would I do?

Maybe put out a video asking your subscribers what they’d like to see you do? Ask your email lists and social media channels too if appropriate.

I wouldn’t delete old videos.

Maybe start with different playlists?

@Fox ... I presume you’re still big into YouTube. What would you recommend?

Also, this thread links to various progress threads. Maybe some might help you on your journey.
Thanks for the reply Andy :)

Yup, we'll be posting an IG story and YouTube discussion to ask our audience what to do tomorrow! Best to see what the group we serve think before making our next move.

Pick a direction for your current channel. Whether it's the immigration crowd or lifestyle crowd. Videos aimed at that crowd should go on the current channel.

For the other audience, start a new channel.

Be careful if you decide to delete/privatize/delist your old videos, you will lose those watch hours and that might sink you into demonetization. They really won't affect your channel all that much moving forward, so I would just leave them alone. Lots of channels have done pivots and have left their old videos as they are.

I am unfamiliar with how YouTube views duplicate posts, like say you were to take some of your old videos and simply repost them onto your incoming new channel. If I were to do that, I would try and edit the original video somehow, maybe add some updated commentary towards the beginning or end, complete with new thumbnail and title.
Thanks EVMaso, especially for the slight edit bit when reposting.

Yea, we'll most likely split the channel, but no clue what crowd to keep on the current channel. We're going to ask what our subscribers think before making the decision.

I don't think we'll delete our old videos, we'll just prioritize the the playlist for the niche we plan to stick with in the end.

Thanks guys :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.