The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your techniques for finding needs in the marketplace

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Looking for ideas from you guys on how you go sniff out needs and pains in different spaces. Let's say we're looking for pain points that people will pay for.

This is what I've done so far:
  • Forums
  • Support tickets
  • Twitter searches
  • Google searches
Would be interested in a few things you guys do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
Talk to potential customers and ask HIGH QUALITY questions and dig deeper.
Pick up the phone or meet people face to face!

Here is a great mp3 from Dane Maxwell as he uses the phone to get great ideads for a new business. All it took was one call!
You won't find this need/pain in the marketplace via browsing the internet.
http://mixergy.com/listen-to-dane-m...r-how-he-extracts-a-profitable-business-idea/

Hope this helps.

BeDoHave

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Aug 6, 2014
I just listen to people's complaints in my day-to-day life. Here's how I got my current ecommerce business idea (that I'll be starting a progress thread for):

-Heard my mum and my aunt complaining about a specific product numerous times
-Searched their complaint on twitter, which validated the need for a solution every 10 minutes or so (other people complaining about the same problem)
-Reached out to around 2/3 people in my target market asking if they had a similar problem then suggested a solution
-They all thought my suggested solution was an amazing idea
-Reached out to 5 other people in my target market with my suggested solution and they all loved the idea and said they'd pay for it

If you're interested in Amazon and eBay I think the easiest thing to do is just single out a specific product category and find products with low reviews. Use what people are saying they don't like about the product to make it better and add value.

People tend to do a lot of complaining. If you hear someone complaining about a product, service or just something that annoys them - write it down, go and find out if other people are having the same problem, then come up with a solution.

Last edited:

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
BeDoHave: Yeah, I actually have a list of 10 ideas I've jotted down of people complaining on different mediums. Nice to know someone else uses the same technique.

GSF: Actually, I've thought of that. It's a bit tough to wade through all of the postings, but could find some real gold in there.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Since I am a bad innovator and a good executioner, I look at existing products/services/business models that sell and figure out how to improve and market them better. Then I crush them.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Since I am a bad innovator and a good executioner, I look at existing products/services/business models that sell and figure out how to improve and market them better. Then I crush them.
Hah! Love the attitude. Also a great way to get a leg up. In essence, a business model that already works is pretty much validated. Maybe drilling down on a specific market segment of the current service allows for some more focused results.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I got on the business directory of my small town and I emailed every small business in my town and asked a few questions. Stuff like "What are monotonous tasks you face every day?" and "What is a problem you face?" etc. I got a great idea and am going to start working on it.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
I got on the business directory of my small town and I emailed every small business in my town and asked a few questions. Stuff like "What are monotonous tasks you face every day?" and "What is a problem you face?" etc. I got a great idea and am going to start working on it.
I have a hard time getting people to respond to many of many emails.

Do you have a copy of your old emails that you can use as an example? I'd really appreciate to know how you worded your questions.

Anyways, great story ;)

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Actually just unvalidated an idea here on the forums.

How I did it:
- Had this idea based on an experience I had with my lawyer
- Made a test page for the idea
- Posted it around, got a few responses here on the forums - https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/lawyers-niche-expiring-legal-documents.57511/
- One actual lawyer gave me a big "no".

This may be a matter of opinion, or me not knowing anything about law firms, however I feel convinced in this case.

Why?

- The risk is too high
- There is really nothing out there like it (hint that there's no need)
- In any case when this is needed, they simply solve the problem with google calendar or what-not

Confirmed this: don't assume. always test.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
My name is BigBrianC, and I am student at the local High School. I am interested in business and am asking questions of all the businesses in downtown of this city. If you would be so kind, I would greatly appreciate it if you were able to answer my questions:

1. What is your biggest problem(s) you face in day-to-day operations of your business?

2. What are some monotonous tasks that you deal with each day?

3. Is there a specific (or maybe not so specific) product, service, etc. that you think would help your business or even your personal life that does not currently exist? It could be anything at all.

Thank you for your time,

BigBrianC

Replaced some things, but you get the gist ! I asked at a bad time (Friday night of New Years week) but I've gotten two answers so far and both were honest, sincere and were shown real problems people face and I got a great product idea out of it that I think could lead to fastlane.

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
My name is BigBrianC, and I am student at the local High School. I am interested in business and am asking questions of all the businesses in downtown of this city. If you would be so kind, I would greatly appreciate it if you were able to answer my questions:

1. What is your biggest problem(s) you face in day-to-day operations of your business?

2. What are some monotonous tasks that you deal with each day?

3. Is there a specific (or maybe not so specific) product, service, etc. that you think would help your business or even your personal life that does not currently exist? It could be anything at all.

Thank you for your time,

BigBrianC

Replaced some things, but you get the gist ! I asked at a bad time (Friday night of New Years week) but I've gotten two answers so far and both were honest, sincere and were shown real problems people face and I got a great product idea out of it that I think could lead to fastlane.
Like your approach. Thanks for sharing this. I might copy your method with some changes.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.