The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You'll Know You've Stopped Action-Faking When....

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi, my name is Beijing and I'm a recovering action-faker. I spent most of my life action-faking. I've never had a shortage of ideas, not just in the business realm, but in other areas as well. However, the idea was always more exciting that the reality of following through with the idea, because doing that required consistent and disciplined commitment. And neither if those things are glamorous.

Two years ago, after turning 29 years of age, I realized that if I didn't start doing something different, my whole would be composed of disappointment, missed opportunities and a failure to live up to my capabilities.

That's when I got to work. I had a basic idea that I believed in and over two years, I went through the process of moving the idea forward from just an idea, to something useful, real and desirable. Through that two year process, I learned how to turn off the part of my brain that rationalized that I'd only be able to get a limited amount of work done even if I got out of bed early each day and instead became proficient and just getting up and doing something, even if only for one or two highly productive hours.

The result has been a product that is on the verge of being ready for the marketplace and most importantly, is something that I'm immensely proud of and reflects my values. I've already made money using the prototypes for my day-job and even if knew I would never sell a single unit, I still would have created this product because it's of immense value to me 5 days a week.

With that being shared, I bring you The "You'll Know You've Stopped Action-Faking When..." Thread, with the acknowledgement that two years ago, I would have had nothing to add to this thread, because at that point I'd done everything except create value so far in my life.

Rules Of The Thread
1. You can only post on days where you've had at least 5 focused and productive hours (that ended with you having something in hand that you didn't start the day with). No, just going to work to earn money doesn't count.
2. You can only post on days where you spent less than 10% of your productive time on action-fakes.
3. You can only post in this thread if you are currently engaged at least 4 days a week (and not just thinking about doing something, reading "business books", or trying to think of a good idea) in creating value that solves a need or fulfills a desire.
4. Everything you list has to be a real example from your own life.

Here's my top ten:

1. You buy this printer, because refilling ink twice a day while doing product development activities is wasting far too much of your time.
566e2e2aN0cc7dd97.jpg!q70.jpg

2. You don't own a car or a house or a TV because all your free money goes towards funding the development of new products.

3. You don't eat any processed food of any kind, because you've realized that having fresh, premium fuel makes a pronounced impact on your daily productiveness.

4. The only thing you have to write about in your weekly emails to your parents is a list of accomplishments you've achieved in the past week. You send them attachments with finished product spec files.

5. You don't put on clothes till 2PM because you are busy putting the finishing touches on an exciting new product.

6. You hire a personal assistant to collect your dry-cleaning, get your car repaired and do home-office supplies purchases because you've realized that you are just too busy doing meaningful tasks that only you can do.

7. You are the primary shareholder of fewer than one LLCs that contain no actual assets.

8. You haven't read a "business book" in 23 months. And you don't want to.

9. You set an alarm clock for 7AM, even though you have no where to be until 4PM, because there's meaningful work to get done from your home office.

10. You don't create threads like this, because your time is far too valuable.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The only thing you have to write about in your weekly emails to your parents is a list of accomplishments you've achieved in the past week. You send them attachments with finished product spec files.

You have a really weird relationship with your parents. You should try picking up the phone and calling instead of sending reports.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
You have a really weird relationship with your parents. You should try picking up the phone and calling instead of sending reports.

The glory of living in opposite time-zones. I'm in Beijing Central time and they are in Eastern Standard time. 12 hours difference in the summer and 11 in the winter.

I still manage to catch my mom on the phone fairly often, even though it usually means interrupting her during a busy part of her day. My dad isn't much of a phone talker. He's much better at in-person conversation.

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
The glory of living in opposite time-zones. I'm in Beijing Central time and they are in Eastern Standard time. 12 hours difference in the summer and 11 in the winter.

I'm in the same situation. Lived in Asia 6 months this year - even a couple weeks in Beijing. My parents are in central. I give them a call here and there. 7pm my time. 7am their time. Catch them on the way to work.

My clients are the same. Business partner is the same. The time zone difference is only an excuse. It's harder, but it's not that hard to pick up the phone and call.

The calls don't mean much to us, but mean a lot to our parents. I'm guessing your parents are similar to most.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
You can buy ink for any printer cartridge and refill it yourself with an ink syringe.

Yes, you can and yes I did. Observe the underlined portions of the original post.

1. You buy this printer, because refilling ink twice a day while doing product development activities is wasting far too much of your time.

10+Black+HP+ink+refill.jpg

In fact, refilling printer cartridges with a syringe is a labour intensive activity. It's messy. You have to wear gloves to keep your hands from becoming covered in ink. It's wasteful. If you even slightly overfill a cartridge, half the ink will leak out of the cartridge. Most printer cartridges are not that big to begin with, so if you're using a printer professionally, you'll find yourself refilling the ink multiple times a day. You have to put on old clothes when you do refills because otherwise you'll ruin perfectly good clothing with the ink. You have to carefully hide the syringes because you're tired of having to explain to house guests that, no, you aren't a drug user.

8+HP+Cartridge.jpg

When you manually refill ink cartridges, it often messes up the ink level detection capabilities of the accompanying computer software, which eventually punishes you by turning itself off in automatically. This leaves you with no idea how much of each colour of ink you have left. You end up wasting paper (and ink!), because you have to wait until a page comes out with a colour obviously missing from the job to know that another refill session is in order.

9+Black+HP+ink+refill.jpg

In the work I do, I'm developing digitally distributed products that will allow language teachers and schools anywhere to print and assemble classroom props and other resources. Creating products that will be easy for teachers and students alike to use requires an extensive development and testing process. Being able to engage in rapid-prototyping speeds up that process significantly. Nothing slows down rapid-prototyping like having to spending 20-30 minutes every two hours refilling ink cartridges.

11+Color+HP+ink+refill.jpg

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I'm in the same situation. Lived in Asia 6 months this year - even a couple weeks in Beijing. My parents are in central. I give them a call here and there. 7pm my time. 7am their time. Catch them on the way to work.

My clients are the same. Business partner is the same. The time zone difference is only an excuse. It's harder, but it's not that hard to pick up the phone and call.

The calls don't mean much to us, but mean a lot to our parents. I'm guessing your parents are similar to most.

You're clearly intending to be adversarial and not helpful. No where have I stated that I ONLY email my parents and never call. I call regularly.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Cool thread idea @Beijing.

For me right now it's filling my free time with working on my product. I used to work only when I was "at work," but since learning about Fastlane, I work on my product each day.

You know you've stopped action faking when you get to work on a product instead of only dreaming about it.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Actionfaking stops when...

When you are sweating over ten drafts of copy for a client and think:'If I screw this up, I might put him in jeopardy!'

Happened just now.... :eek:

Yup, you become a soldier when you face your first enemy to shoot...

It is not really my first time, but the moment comes now and then.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Hmm I don't think "arbitrary" restrictions work all that well
But I like your point, which I think is to be far too preoccupied to worry
Busy hands make light work of the idea that you can't do it

Fair point

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
You'll know you've stopped action-faking when you start brainstorming about methods to turn off your brain so that you can get a healthy night's sleep after spending the entire day doing a 12-hour product development marathon.

AfterWind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 23, 2017
Romania
Action-faking stops when you realize that
  • reading books
  • planning
  • watching motivational youtube videos
  • discussing about the problems in the world
is not part of the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.