The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You just won a million dollars: What now?

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
As the title goes, you have won the lottery (why were you playing the lottery, douchebag?) and have made somewhere around one million dollars. It's not enough for you to retire comfortably for the rest of your life, let alone the lifestyle you've envisioned.

But hey, a million dollars is a lot of money! What do you do now? I'm super curious to hear!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
No longer worried about immediate profitability, I’d hire people I didn’t plan on hiring for a year, running heavy ads for more leads, then letting the business make a bit less money for a period while I dip out and go live in a few different countries a couple months at a time. Would still not even touch the bulk of the cash just would have as a buffer/runway and grow the business

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
As the title goes, you have won the lottery (why were you playing the lottery, douchebag?) and have made somewhere around one million dollars. It's not enough for you to retire comfortably for the rest of your life, let alone the lifestyle you've envisioned.

But hey, a million dollars is a lot of money! What do you do now? I'm super curious to hear!
Start a tarot card reading business/fortune telling/Fengshui advisory, as I will then have a lot of credibility.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

I'd buy an existing small cleaning company in an asset sales so I can use their equipment and people with my brand.
Why not build my own company ? Because I will have to wait for 6 months untill I can write large invoices or hire due to german bureaucracy.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I'd probably put it all into IBM shares for the dividend and not change anything.

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Models and bottles with a large amount of the white stuff.

I think it was footballer George Best who said, when asked what he'd done with his money, "I've spent half of it on fast cars, women and drink, but I've wasted the rest."

I'd like to think I'd try to do something, anything with the money. I have a saving mindset, I can't stand to see my totals dropping even though the whole point of the money in the first place was to have something when I'm not bringing anything in. I doubt it would suddenly improve my life, I don't do the kind of things that need a lot of money. Maybe that's because I'm not used to having it. But I'd hate to be one of those lottery winners that gets a load of cash and then says "It won't change my life, I'm still going in to my 8-6 job tomorrow."

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
I'd purchase 3 properties in my city - Airbnb them and live off the proceeds.

Or purchase 3 properties and then use them as security to finance another 3.

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
I would try to escape the matrix and not be tied down by one government.

Assuming I had only the $1M tax-free. The first step is to invest in Real Estate and ensure we have a guaranteed monthly income. Let's assume a 4% return per year. That is USD40,000/y. USD3333/m I would live on under 300usd/m (possible as I live in SL). And reinvest the rest into my own businesses and figure out how to get from $1M to $5M. Then from $5M to $25M. At $25M I can just retire and assume a $4% return on my $25M portfolio, which would be USD83,000/m. Even USD25,000/m (USD300,000/y) is more than enough to live a super luxurious life minus jets and yachts. Around USD5M to USD25M, I would try to escape the matrix. Would use shell companies and different tactics to spread my income across multiple countries like Dubai, the US, Swiss, Etc., So then one day if a government decides to fail or just does not like me I can just leave. Ensure that virtually nothing would be under our names and should be under shell companies and various other ways to ensure that they cannot take my wealth.

I have a long way to go. I hope this offers you guys clarity. Most people aim unnecessarily high. Most people do not take action. If your luxurious lifestyle requires USD10,000/m. You just need to make USD120,000/y. Which at a 4% return would be a total value of USD3M investment eggs. Ideally, we need to donate 25% of our earnings to less privileged people.

If I want to be even richer it would be for a mission like ending world hunger, giving everyone a fair education, and ensuring everyone has clean water to drink.

All the best in escaping the matrix and earning true freedom! Irl no one will come to save you. You need to save yourself. No one will give you $1M.

At the end of the day, everything belongs to God and we will die one day and take nothing. So be a good person, work hard & smart and you will be guided to good/great opportunities throughout your life.

farahead

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Feb 25, 2023
Slovakia

invest it into real estate / something safe

live frugaly from the returns (i now have 24hours for myself and dont have a job) ==> work on my business extra 8 hours

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
My own answer (not that anyone asked, just putting it out there):
1. take out 50k dollars
2. put 950k in real estate, and influencer funds (I think that's what they're called, the thing warren buffet does) and hope for a decent return
3. with the 50k start and grow a buisness I needed some money for
4. build the buisness (hopefully) to a decent amount and sell out
5. F2/F1

adnanazmi

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 22, 2023
Colombo, Sri Lana
My own answer (not that anyone asked, just putting it out there):
1. take out 50k dollars
2. put 950k in real estate, and influencer funds (I think that's what they're called, the thing warren buffet does) and hope for a decent return
3. with the 50k start and grow a buisness I needed some money for
4. build the buisness (hopefully) to a decent amount and sell out
5. F2/F1
what is F2/F1

Alessandros

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 3, 2021
Germany
I invest the million dollars in growth shares (stock market). So I will have some more income from the dividends.

Of course, I will still go on with the development of my start-up company, in order to go fastlane. The dividends I get will perhaps help me a little bit to fasten the whole process. That's all.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
An unexpected $1M windfall won't change my life (or those in my life) at all.

I'd simply invest it, or perhaps put it into 2nd home.

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN

Put most of it into growing my startup, and some of it to clear my parents debts

Akaushra

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Apr 15, 2023
what is F2/F1
Its a motorsport: single seater, open wheels, intense speeds. F stands for formula. there are different teams and a lot to unpack, but pictures are worth 1000 words, so here you go.
F4 - Junior racing F3 - third tier
Formula 4 - Wikipedia
250px-Formel3_DallaraF308_Maeki09_amk.jpg

F2 - right below f1. Think of it as the last stop for any aspiring f1 driver
Bahrain F2: Drugovich leads practice from DAMS duo

and finally F1 - top most motorsport, the pinnacle of engineering in cars, there is so much cool stuff to unpack, but I won't. And the F1 drivers are cooler, in ways. The skill is incredible.
Aston Martin hit “aggressive” development targets for 2023 F1 car
-

Vasudev Soni

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 31, 2022
Ghaziabad, IN
Its a motorsport: single seater, open wheels, intense speeds. F stands for formula. there are different teams and a lot to unpack, but pictures are worth 1000 words, so here you go.
F4 - Junior racing F3 - third tier
View attachment 48749
250px-Formel3_DallaraF308_Maeki09_amk.jpg

F2 - right below f1. Think of it as the last stop for any aspiring f1 driver
Bahrain F2: Drugovich leads practice from DAMS duo

and finally F1 - top most motorsport, the pinnacle of engineering in cars, there is so much cool stuff to unpack, but I won't. And the F1 drivers are cooler, in ways. The skill is incredible.
Aston Martin hit “aggressive” development targets for 2023 F1 car
-
I absolutely love formula 1 dude. Charles leclerc

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
I would buy a new ford transit with a new truckmount and get it fully wrapped. And I would get some commercial property, like a shop, to build a fine fabric cleaning facility there. And hire a VA. Maybe hire a worker

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.