- Joined
- Nov 14, 2011
- Messages
- 348
Rep Bank
$1,105
$1,105
User Power: 113%
So I am an avid fisherman and am continually seeking business opportunities surrounding this as I have knowledge in the sport.
I came across a youtube video featuring stone fishing weights. After some brief research I found only three company producing these, only one of which is American with good marketing and a nice website. The competition is alright as I have ideas to market them towards a different group of people.
Two of the companies claimed these were patented items or patent pending. After some more research I did in fact find a patent.
Patent EP1599091B1 - Angling rig - Google Patents
Basically this is a rock with a hole drilled in it, some epoxy and a piece of metal, otherwise known as a swivel. I'm referring to it as a piece of metal for ease of description.
So after seeing this patent it seems the market is closed to new entrants. So my question is: how could I get around a patent for such a simple item? Is it possible or is the market completely closed do to the patent? Prior to this I always thought patented items needed a certain complexity or amount of moving parts to be patented and your application is denied if it does not comply with this criteria. Now, discovering a rock with a piece of metal attached holding a patent, I guess I was incorrect in my assumption.

I came across a youtube video featuring stone fishing weights. After some brief research I found only three company producing these, only one of which is American with good marketing and a nice website. The competition is alright as I have ideas to market them towards a different group of people.
Two of the companies claimed these were patented items or patent pending. After some more research I did in fact find a patent.
Patent EP1599091B1 - Angling rig - Google Patents
Basically this is a rock with a hole drilled in it, some epoxy and a piece of metal, otherwise known as a swivel. I'm referring to it as a piece of metal for ease of description.
So after seeing this patent it seems the market is closed to new entrants. So my question is: how could I get around a patent for such a simple item? Is it possible or is the market completely closed do to the patent? Prior to this I always thought patented items needed a certain complexity or amount of moving parts to be patented and your application is denied if it does not comply with this criteria. Now, discovering a rock with a piece of metal attached holding a patent, I guess I was incorrect in my assumption.

Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
