The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You Can Patent A Rock?

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
So I am an avid fisherman and am continually seeking business opportunities surrounding this as I have knowledge in the sport.

I came across a youtube video featuring stone fishing weights. After some brief research I found only three company producing these, only one of which is American with good marketing and a nice website. The competition is alright as I have ideas to market them towards a different group of people.

Two of the companies claimed these were patented items or patent pending. After some more research I did in fact find a patent.

Patent EP1599091B1 - Angling rig - Google Patents

Basically this is a rock with a hole drilled in it, some epoxy and a piece of metal, otherwise known as a swivel. I'm referring to it as a piece of metal for ease of description.

So after seeing this patent it seems the market is closed to new entrants. So my question is: how could I get around a patent for such a simple item? Is it possible or is the market completely closed do to the patent? Prior to this I always thought patented items needed a certain complexity or amount of moving parts to be patented and your application is denied if it does not comply with this criteria. Now, discovering a rock with a piece of metal attached holding a patent, I guess I was incorrect in my assumption.

stonze.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tamo42

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jan 9, 2013
You can work out a licensing deal with the patent owner, come up with a different enough design to get your own patent, or just go ahead and play the odds that you'll be able to settle any lawsuits that come up.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From my limited, limited patent knowledge (I am obviously not a lawyer, I've merely attended a few patent seminars our corporate lawyer puts on for us):

- You can't patent an idea or product, you can only patent the execution. Sticky notes, the concept, aren't patented. 3M's easy-to-remove adhesive formula, their name, the size, shape, color, position of the adhesive, etc... combine to make their patent. Notice a ton of sticky notes that aren't 3M? They've modified the execution such that it does not infringe.

- Obvious ideas are not patentable. A court could rule that using rocks as weights for fishing is not a novel, unique idea and it is reasonable to assume someone else would have come to the same conclusion unprompted. I believe Samsung had a suit against Apple recently trying to claim "slide to unlock" on phones is a reasonable conclusion for a hardware manufacturer to come to when designing an unlocking system for a touch screen. Of course this can be countered with "if it was so obvious, why are we only seeing it now?", which is a very good question when trying to claim something isn't not novel - if nobody took advantage of this idea with plenty of opportunity, maybe it IS novel, just simple.

If I were you I'd do something slightly different - use a different hook design, a special epoxy for superior bonding strength, and maybe locally, hand-picked rocks, or whatever. Something to say "It's the same, but different".

Again, I may be wrong on the above two points. If there is one thing I've learned in being around patent talk it's that there is a damn good reason company's hire full-time lawyers to handle it.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for the info. I read over the entire patent I linked and it did go into thorough explanation of how to produce the weight. It seems almost everything under the moon is covered. I suppose I could use a different adhesive as that claims to use plain old JB weld and use tumbled local stones only. Maybe I could include color descriptions and a superior metal for the swivel. The sticky note comparison painted the picture.

q-base

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 25, 2012
Denmark
If the patent says something about adhesive, then just make something where you screw the fastener in. Drill all the way through and use a nut and bolt - there are lots of ways to make them using other techniques. As an alternative you could make a cheap mold and pour concrete into it - then you are not using stone. Colour the concrete before or after, if there for some reason should be a concrete-fishing-weight-patent.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Good thinking, however, drilling a hole all the way through a stone is not easy. I would be going through bits like crazy doing it by hand. A water jet like you would find in a machine shop might be capable of this, though. The concrete idea eliminates the need to drill holes which is the most difficult part. The problem I see is getting a heavy enough weight without it being very bulky. 2-3oz of cured concrete is significantly more in volume than 2-3oz of lead. Your ideas could cultivate others though, so thank you for the insight.

q-base

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 25, 2012
Denmark
The volume of concrete would be larger, compared to lead - yes. But weren't you looking at stones. As far as I know the density of concrete, is only slightly below some of the heavier stone densities. 2.4 for concrete as opposed to, let's say granite which has 2.6-2.7 g/cm3.

On a less serious note, because it is probably either too expensive or to hard to get by, Ducrete(Depleted Uranium Concrete) is 5.6-6.4 g/cm3.

You could also just have a lead weight, and then pour a shell of concrete around it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.