The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Yes, I'm a pioneer of Online Business... Join my MLM?"

Anything related to matters of the mind

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I was talking to a friend who's been in the online industry for quite some time actually, we were warming up for our softball game last night [got crushed unfortunately] and he said, "You won't believe who just called me."

I ask, "Who?"

"XXX." [won't say his name for obvious reasons] He was trying to pitch me on some diet MLM thing he just joined [not started for those wondering, he joined it.]

I stopped throwing for a second, XXX was an online presence known by MANY in the internet marketing industry/blogging, he charges 15k-20k for speaking gigs, written many best-seller books. Someone you would think, by how people oogle over him, was successful and financially doing very well.

I mentioned this to my friend, "Doesn't he charge 20k for 1 speaking gig, what the hell is he doing trying to push an MLM [a weight loss one to boot, usually scammy.] From the way he talks about himself, I wold think he wouldn't need to be calling up loose-connected friends, throwing his weight around trying to get an MLM team going." My friend didn't know, the guy had just been on a spree calling up other weak connections in the online world trying to build his team for the pyramid scheme.

Of course, MLM is the bane of this forum, but why would someone many would consider a "pioneer" in online presence be stooping this low? Do you guys know of other "successful" people doing stuff like this?" Perhaps on financial straits and need a quick buck, I don't know.

For me, I think it's just a matter of: The world you see on the internet is a very broad paint brush. Especially with internet marketers who all say "I travel the world when I want," recently I've been more skeptical about those who say that, and hearing about this guy doing this solidified that thought even more.

This is a guy who writes about entrepreneurship, preaches it, sells courses and such on it. Just as a warning : Be careful about believing every "Guru" who tells you they know the way, when clearly, as shown, they may not.

I think a huge bubble and sometimes scam popping up in the last 5 years is the "Information product." [not books mind you]. The $497, $997 information course showing you the "steps." Problem is, many people [not all] but MANY who create these courses had modest success in business or even worse, have 0 business experience. They want to take the Oprah model where if they talk with enough entrepreneurs, they can create a course about entrepreneurship and "become an entrepreneur." I've mentioned this, I don't mind people who started/sold a business and now want to coach [as it is highly profitable], but many want to skip the hard first part and go right into the highly profitable coaching realm. Keep your eyes open, do your research.

Tons of "LIFE" coaches popping up anywhere selling the dream, but are broke or their spouse works 100 hours a week bringing in the family money while they toil in "business".

Went off on a tangent, but point is, again, the internet is very broad. Much like you only see the highlight reel on facebook, think about it the same way with these types of "gurus" who push Information products down your throat. They might not all be as successful as you think. If enough people oogle you and say you're successful, you will start to believe it, watch out!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FastlaneTiger

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 27, 2014
Not the USA
Thanks for taking your time to write this but.. didn't we know this already?
MJ also said his opinion about gurus in TMF .

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Thanks for taking your time to write this but.. didn't we know this already?
MJ also said his opinion about gurus in TMF .

There's many threads about stuff you'll find in TMF .....................

I went on a tangent, but there were multiple points in the post, not just about gurus, but also about how people portray themselves online one way and they are another behind the scenes. This was a real-life example I wanted to share as it's easy to believe when you hear from everyone "This person is a success" you believe it without question, i'm saying, have some doubts first.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Maybe he found the greatest MLM of all kind, but now you're missing out on the opportunity. You have to get in early. You don't want to miss the boat. My friend's dad's cousin made $100k in a week with this MLM. He bought his own island after a month, and retired there to spend his days sipping Pina Coladas while his pet tiger plays fetch with him.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
but why would someone many would consider a "pioneer" in online presence be stooping this low?

1. These online gurus don't make what they used to make.
  2. He knows he has a huge following and joining a MLM and promoting it is just another way for him to monetize his list.
  3. Another case of someone being product agnostic vs being product centered.
  4. Ultimately he's chasing money so he's willing to do whatever.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Even if he had a degree of success 2/5/10 years back, the world tends to move on. For every "guru" who has been around 10 years there are plenty of flash in the pan types who just fade away or end up doing "guru retirement home" stuff. Few people really care if he was a pioneer, they care about what he could offer now.

Maybe 5-10 years ago the guy was an eager and hard worker at his gig, putting in long hours and making connections. After a while he gets a bit of money, starts enjoying that and more time and thought goes into how to spend his $$$ without any regard for the future. Not much is given to the business because he's finally "made it" and he reasons that now he deserves to enjoy his success. And long term planning goes out the window because when the money is rolling in so easy it seems like it will always be that way.

Meanwhile there are thousands of eager newcomers on the way up who don't have the distractions and comforts afforded by any level of success. Most will fail to reach their lofty dreams but a few will succeed. Like younger lions they eventually drive the older guru/lion off into the wilderness before likely following the same path in a few years.

Happens in sports/movies/music/tv/everywhere.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Most gurus can be summed up in one picture.

success-funny-drawing-rabbit-carrot.png

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The $497, $997 information course showing you the "steps."

Usually these are just envelope stuffing schemes jacked up on steroids. The product becomes irrelevant and just a tool to keep the wheels of the scheme greased.

I think a huge bubble and sometimes scam popping up in the last 5 years is the "Information product." [not books mind you]. The $497, $997 information course showing you the "steps." Problem is, many people [not all] but MANY who create these courses had modest success in business or even worse, have 0 business experience. They want to take the Oprah model where if they talk with enough entrepreneurs, they can create a course about entrepreneurship and "become an entrepreneur." I've mentioned this, I don't mind people who started/sold a business and now want to coach [as it is highly profitable], but many want to skip the hard first part and go right into the highly profitable coaching realm. Keep your eyes open, do your research.

You mean can I be an entrepreneur talking about entrepreneurship?
Can I earn passive income talking about passive income?
Can I become a millionaire by interviewing millionaires?

All of the above is very common.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
You mean can I be an entrepreneur talking about entrepreneurship?
Can I earn passive income talking about passive income?
Can I become a millionaire by interviewing millionaires?

All of the above is very common.

Unfortunately, I spent 2+ years saying yes to these questions. More and more people are jumping at gigs that say yes to 1 or not all of these questions. I'm sure some of the people who are successful in it mean well, but it's not the way to go. I realized this 3 months ago when I got to see some of it behind the scenes.

Thanks MJ, love the rabbit pic, sums up my thoughts exactly!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.