The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Yeah... S**** Just Got Real

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Here's my situation.

I'm about to get fired from my current job (cox customer support) tomorrow. I have $800 as of the time of this writing, and rent's coming up after the holidays. I'm 23 years old, and I run a failing company, since its initial launch in sept I've sold one product. My birthday is next week. Challenge accepted.

A friend at work called me saying their fired 4 people today on completely fabricated stories. They fired him saying that he was late on Monday, when he wasn't even working Monday lol. Not only that but they also said he was late. (Why was he late, his car was stolen! Yet he still came in to work with the police report, and they fired him!!!)

I knew this was coming but failed to prepare for it. Here's the thing, these jobs they provide a false sense of security because you're not in direct control of your future. They (your superiors) can cut off your money source...and like a thirsty man lost in the Sahara your done for.

I've been slowly building up my finances. This month would be the first month that I've stopped living paycheck to paycheck. With my job gone not sure if I can manage this. I am expecting some difficulties.

I've signed up to exhibit in one the largest expo events on the west coast for company. I have roughly an extra $200 – 275 needed to spend on marketing for that one specific event. This includes a banners for my booth, a few props for branding, and the full page advertising that I've agreed to pay(that alone is $100 flat)

My sister (16) who I haven't seen in 2 years is coming to visit me next week. All of my family is on the opposite side of the USA. Thats more cash spent on her, sightseeing out here in Arizona.

Financial:

From the time of this writing all of my previous bills are paid for. I'm possibly getting two other pay checks totally up to about $2,000.

Rent: 545
Cellphone: 60
Internet: $5 (cox employee discount which after it gets taken off will rise to $34)
Hosting: $30 a month
Insurance: 121

My Skills / Advantages:

* I have about 244 products in stock that I'm having difficulty moving. On line people hate it. In person, people lose their minds because of the quality of the item. As if its the next best thing next to slice bread.

* I just bought a really expensive camera...and surprisingly I'm incredible good at taking pictures.

* I'm highly tech savvy, that being said I'm good at web design.

* I have a car, though the gas gauge is broken

* I have a new line of products that so far has received raving reviews (when viewed in person)

My friend asked me "what are you going to do?"

" I'm going to pray to God...and hustle.."

I will post my progress on a day by day basis before I go to sleep as to what I've accomplished and maybe what needs to be done. I'm really looking into an alternative sleep scheduled as I'm finding out that sleeping to much is effecting my ability to get things done.

My current business/industry is ridiculously saturated. Unfortunately I jumped the gun to soon without doing my homework.
For obvious reasons I'm not going to list what industry/market it's in.

I hate working a 9-5 with a passion.
I remember the days where I'd go to the bathroom,as a temporarily escape and find bliss peeing in the urinal. I remember sitting in my seat as a call center rep thinking “this can't be happening....” as I'm slaving away feeling the heavy effects of the work environment.

---------------

This can only go one of two ways. Theirs no turning back now, theres no crying momma no hiding under the covers.

I'm writing this progress/ execution thread for all of those wondering whats it like giving it your all. A total balls to the walls approach. ( Whats dope about this one is I don't have anything holding me back, but I have a lot to lose (homelessness) )

Could I fly back to my parents, sure. Would I? No.

Reason being is that they've done an excellent job (at holding me back and preventing me from succeeding. They ridiculed me when I told them I wanted to start a concierge business. They disapproved me when I wrestled in high school (lost out on a scholarship opportunity)

You could say “your an adult..etc etc” and I'd say “My mom tried getting me fired when I worked at Go Daddy..she even flew out here to Az to tell them how horrible of a person I was...her reasoning is that I'm to young to be doing any of this” I hold no grunges though. Life's to short to cry and complain...

At this point...to me, failure is not an option. Success is the only way. Either I go big, or I bust.

My goal: Is to not only “make it” and not have to work a 9-5 ever ever ever ever ever again, but its to also turn this company into a fastlane empire.

Needless to say s**** just got real.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
* I have about 244 products in stock that I'm having difficulty moving. Online people hate it. In person, people lose their minds because of the quality of the item. As if its the next best thing next to slice bread.

Did the people who liked it offline actually pay for it? Or just said they like it? Two COMPLETELY different things.

If your products are really as good as you say, learning copywriting should take care of this problem, it will teach you how to sell... again, that's if you really have a product of value that there is a need for

* I just bought a really expensive camera...and surprisingly I'm incredible good at taking pictures.

I may be wrong... but... do you think this is a good investment with the limited cash you have?

Good luck on your venture!!

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Good luck man! Sink or swim now...

One thing I struggled with in fastlane businesses years ago was this:
If you can't make your first dollar within 1 week of launching. Hang it up. Seriously. It's a tough pill to swallow, but a viable idea or product sells itself. Marketing just let's people know you're here, but the bottom line is the value in the thing your offering. And money and sales numbers talk the loudest.

Last edited:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Cherry picked your post since I read slow and don't have an hour, but...

I have about 244 products in stock that I'm having difficulty moving. On line people hate it. In person, people lose their minds because of the quality of the item. As if its the next best thing next to slice bread.
If people offline are buying it and people online aren't, demonstrate the product in a video the same way you do in person and write clearly how the product benefits them. All things being equal, it should sell.

* I have a car, though the gas gauge is broken
My gas gauge and speedometer was broken for a year. Nobody cares. Get rid of the "poor me" mindset.

* I have a new line of products that so far has received raving reviews (when viewed in person)
Same thing as #1.

My goal: Is to not only “make it” and not have to work a 9-5 ever ever ever ever ever again, but its to also turn this company into a fastlane empire.
Said this exact same thing in 2011 and haven't worked since. Make it happen.

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
@Deon
Some people liked it but didn't pay for it, others liked it and did buy it. Purchasing the camera was a smart move. As it's saving me money on hiring photographers. I can also freelance myself.

@JamesF
hahah True words

@wade1mil
The camera has recording abilities so I do plan on creating videos. I probably wasn't clear enough, but I do plan on driving cross country to various tradeshows throughout the year. Having a broken gas gauge will be an issue. I'm not upset about the gauge being broken, as this is the 5th car I've bought this year.

Realistically..you only lose when you give up..because if you still keep trying you're still in the game.

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
@Deon
This literally came to me in the shower when I read you're response on my phone:
When you go to the bars or clubs most guys intentions are to get laid that night. You go to your favorite spot with your boys, and bam!...you see that beautiful, attractive, gorgeous girl standing their amongst her friends.

Now the issue with this situation is that you're not the only guy staring. In fact all the men in the club have noticed, and are now are all chasing after her. Some guys have even tried to talk to them before they even got inside!

This presents a problem...theirs only one girl....you,and 500 other guys chasing after this small group of hot women.

Competition is fierce.

These girls can now easily relax, sip their cranberry vodka, and browse through these men like a cheap Macy’s catalog.

The other guys are probably taller, more attractive, sexier, dress better, smell better, have bigger apartments, giant condos,large paychecks, run huge businesses, make millions...

You're just a good heated guy who just wants to sweep this damsel off her feet.

How do you get this girl? (the consumer and their wallets) How do you win her over (the consumer) and not only like you, but love you enough to tell all her friends? How do you get her to pick you (the business) when theirs hundreds of other guys in the mix?

My theory:

In order to get this girl and her friends, your gonna have to become a stereotype. Tailor yourself to the girl that you're chasing.
Become the rebellious bad boy, become the super geeky Harvard nerd, become the hilarious comedian.

Why? Because she can't get that with the other guy. He may be richer...but is he hilarious? He may be super attractive...but does he challenge her and any authority figures? The other guy may have huge muscles, but can he talk about the complexities of life? Does the other guy have a deep burning passion about break dancing? If you smoke pot, listen to Bob Marley, and love all things hemp > this girl can reasonably assume you smoke pot. If she does too, shazam

Don't worry about highlighting the product(you) focus on branding. The usp is no longer (were bigger, faster, stronger) its ( I'm tiny weirdo and I like purple hearts) Be the seven up, not the coke.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Sometimes we choose to hustle sometimes the hustle is thrust upon us.

Here's an idea, if people in person love it and people online don't then at the trade shows use your nice camera to record interactions with people. Let it show you showing your product off, cherry pick good scenes, literally let the people's reaction sell the product online for you.

There's a reason infomercials always have realistic "participants" when they are showing something off.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
In order to get this girl and her friends, your gonna have to become a stereotype. Tailor yourself to the girl that you're chasing.
If you're looking to pump and dump sure. If you're looking for anything long term, no.
If you change who you are to attract a girl, she'll like the fake you. Then when you start being yourself when you get more comfortable, she won't like you. This is like exploiting loopholes in affiliate marketing. Lasts a month and it's gone.
If you be who you are, you attract the right girl in the first place and she'll like the real you. Your relationship grows stronger. This is like building a business customers are passionate about - Apple. Can last forever.

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
If you're looking to pump and dump sure. If you're looking for anything long term, no.
If you change who you are to attract a girl, she'll like the fake you. Then when you start being yourself when you get more comfortable, she won't like you. This is like exploiting loopholes in affiliate marketing. Lasts a month and it's gone.
If you be who you are, you attract the right girl in the first place and she'll like the real you. Your relationship grows stronger. This is like building a business customers are passionate about - Apple. Can last forever.

Them's words of wisdom right here.

Don't be the skinny-fat guy holding your gut in to look fit.

Get rid of the damn gut.

Everyday become wiser and remove disabling ignorance.

--

Maybe we're going about this wrong. Instead of trying to 'get that girl' (aka chasing the customer), why not just write out who you want your dream customer to be....

and then find out how to get in front of that special lady with your pitch?

Invert it.

Or, write out a description of the people who HAVE bought your product. ID them down to the shoelaces, the car they drive, create a 'back story' for them, build a 'Customer Avatar'. Are you really sure you know who your main customer is?

I heard one marketing guy say that we are essentially operating from an illusion; we think there's a difference between Online (Digital) Marketing and Offline Marketing... There is only Marketing. All the tools we use are just 'methods of approach'

Anyhow, become a marketer, and remember the ol' standby

Test, Test, Test.

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
I get that "getting the girl" is a metaphor here, but why the hell would you ever change yourself for anyone? If she doesn't like who you are then she can find someone different. Never change yourself for anyone.

As for products I definitely want to sell the product to the target audience, but I can't force a new audience to like my product by pretending it's something it's not.

If I'm selling hemp dresses then I want to market towards hippies.

If I'm selling designer watches then I want to market to the rich.

I don't want to sell my designer watches to the hippies. They'll just break it while saving a tree and then want to return it.

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
@wade1mil
no no..I'm not looking to create a pump and dump scheme. I truly believe my products can provide value for others.

I'm not saying to change anything, but to go deeper into yourself. Really find out what you stand for, and let that carry you.

I totally agree with what you guys are saying though 100%, ill be sure to test out those methods esp the video one at the tradeshow.

Gotta make this quick as all the bosses are now staring down at me hard. I feel as if I'm in Auschwitz.

What I've done Yesterday:

I took more pictures with some baseball players from ASU, sporting my product. They loved it, and one even said to call him later so he can make a purchase. Pictures came out amazing. We had to cut it short because they were meeting up with a talent scout for the big leagues. My ears perked up.

I pitched to them "hey lets do an interview! I'll help get your name out there, and the interview will provide value to my readers"

I literally know nothing about baseball,so with me naturally asking more questions I should get some great content. Questions will be researched later over the weekend.

----
Three days ago I went to a store to pick up some goods for my vegetable shake. While I was at the store, I told the cashier that I thought her hair was pretty cool ( she had dreads )

After talking with her about veggies, dreads, and veggie drinks, she showed me her Instagram account. She has 53k in followers!

Pictures get at least 500 comments and a min of 900 likes.
Its photo's of her doing nothing else but smoking weed. I almost had a heart attack.

( Personally I could care less for drugs, those that do them I don't look down at them as its their life choice....but to a 16yr kid in Colorado he'd love that stuff. )

So I told her I wanted to schedule an interview with her on the topics of all things Mary Jane this past Friday.

That night I researched (on Quora) various questions folks had.
Questions like:
Whats the difference between hemp and cannabis
Whats are the health benefits to smoking
Whats hash and how do you use it
Craziest thing you've ever done while high

Before heading up to the interview I brought with me a sword (replica version from the last samurai) I had order off amazon awhile back, and a full unicorn head ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1107/ )

Along with my products to place in the background.

I want these pictures to really be wild. Something that would make someone want to click on the picture like "omg I need to see this!"

Interview went rather well, I took a ton of pictures, and she loved the unicorn head. Whats even cooler is that she showed me uniquely designed bong that a celebrity had given to her at some show. "B-Real is gonna lose it when he sees this"

I'm going to try everything in my power to get B-real to see these pictures, the blog, and the site. Still though im not stupid....I'd imagine even a guy like him gets bothered by other folks
promoting their products as well.

I'm not gonna push it and cause discomfort, so I'm gonna figure out a way how to get his attention. Worst case scenario nothing comes from it. Best case scenario he mentions us, and my site traffic explodes.

----------
I've done the research on competing products and seen how they packaged them. Really bland with maybe a coupon card.

I planned about a month ago my "wow" package. A package that's going to blow the socks off of customers when they open the box.

I just received the last few things for my "wow" package. This setup costed me roughly $120

My "wow" package includes the following:

1) The main boxing is solid black. Nothing is displayed on the package other than my company abbreviation, and the mailer stuff.

The abbreviation itself is in old English lettering stamped with a red wax seal. (all purchase from amazon during black Friday)

2) Upon opening the package, the product is in a brown parchment paper with red string tied around it. Kinda like how the packages were sent back in the day.

3) A really well designed certificate of authentication, in a black envelope. The letter is printed on ivory parchment paper (resume paper from amazon) The paper even contains a watermark.

4) A social media card designed on moo.com I used matte coloring which gives it a unique look. On the fron of the card contains a qr code designed like this ( http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/customized-colored-qr-codes/ )

The qr code links to my Instagram. On the back is three links to Facebook, twitter, and Instagram.

The card simply ask people to follow us, and post pictures of them using it for a chance to win a limited edition version. Tagging my company name.

5) Other items: Modern stylish stickers, a coupon code, and a hand written note thanking them for their purchase along with my email for further questions.

Based off of the "wow" package I've redesigned my entire site to follow the flow. It has a very exclusive, luxurious look to it.Very secret society like.

I'll be working on the redesign for the blog later today.

I also received my briefcase & suit (all purchased during black Friday) All purchased specifically for when I meet with retailers at trade shows. The purpose of this outfit is to show that I really mean business.

I'm assuming most people dress in casual to business casual outfits.

Whats in the briefcase:
Blank papers & pens for notes, my business card, testimonials, and (soon to be, probably this weekend)Stat sheets on the following:

Number of followers on the most popular social media accounts
Awards & other events attended
Notable achievements
Future projections for the business
An easy to understand report pulled from Google analytics

The idea behind the stat sheet is to show these retailers that we are growing steadily. Indirectly I want to make it hard for them to say "no" for placing me in their store.

My outfit is really sleek, looked and took notes from a few GQ magazines and spent weeks trying on outfits before making the purchase. This should further compound my image as a serious business guy.
----

I hired a girl to assist in the marketing side of things, with a promise to pay once cash starts flowing in.
She says she knows a few store owners, and might be able to get our stuff into a few stores up in Scottsdale. Fingers crossed.

I'm meeting up with her Saturday to go over the game plan with these store owners. I have a few very specific things I want her to say/do that I feel will really reel them in.

To me this is a huge opportunity, I need to eat so everything counts!

At work I had racked up a few points which I can use to shop on the company website.

Everyone was saying "hey tak you can buy a tv now! or maybe you should get an xbox or a ps3!" Yeah right lol, I'm hungry and I need food.

I ordered a camera cleaning kit, a few books by seth godin, a basic photographer's handbook, a paper shedder, and a 32gb drive for the camera.

gotta go

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Update:
Made a sale yesterday - guy saw the pictures on instagram and messaged me instantly. Told him if he can tag us on instagram, take pictures and I'll feature him on the site. Another guy in Atlanta messaged me saying he wants to make a purchase as well. Unfortunately its for the newer products and I have it listed as a preorder.

* Sent out a mass email to various (roughly 40) bloggers and youtubers in my niche to review my products "Love your youtube channel, you're videos are awesome! I was wondering if you'd like to do a review of my product, in exchange I'll send it to you free of charge " Also sent an email to larger website to have my company featured.

* Gathering a bunch of stuff around my apartment to sell on ebay / criagslist - coffee table, night stand, vintage pictures, even broken cellphones.

* Made it harder for customers to say no - added a return tab right next to the product description tab " Gorilla Return - No Questions Asked, Money Back Guarantee - if your not satisfied with your purchase just notify us within 14 days.."

* Slept in for 30mins before going back at it - trying to follow the everyman sleeping schedule. ( http://www.polyphasicsociety.com/polyphasic-sleep/overviews/everyman/ )

* Sent in my full page ad for the flyer at the trade show

* Created an imarcos script for Instagram

* Mass uploaded pictures tagging my company name to tumblr linking back

* Removed all the images associated with my company and replaced them with images that's consistent with the brand. Also changed the tagline to something that has an easy to understand USP for the customer

* Placed a few phone calls asking who do I need to talk to to schedule a meeting to get my products in store.

* Asked a few folks to review my site and give me a critical assessment of what sucks, and whats great.

Friends invited me out to party - said no - wasn't easy saying no to a good time : /

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Polyphasic sleep is to be done temporarily during temporary situations, or it will catch up to you.

If you are able to sleep continuously, it would be a better choice I think

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
I apologize in advance of any typos or grammatical errors.

Profound realization today:

I took a break and walked to the park listening to Earl Nightingale. You can search for his videos on Youtube, powerful stuff. Anyways I heard this from him:

Albert Einstein was asked “what is mans purpose in life” his response “mans purpose in life is to be of service to his fellow man

My mind f***** exploded.

I know this is talked about over and over again on the forums, but for some reason this made everything clear.

My purpose, as a person, and a business is to simply give back. That rather than “taking” value from others we “give” value back. That its not so much as “look what I got from.....” or “I found a way to extract more” its really “I want to help you..”

I thought of ants, and how one ant is really weak and practically useless. Yet when they form together they are powerful enough to wipe out the floors of the rain forests.

Zig Ziglar said it best when he said “you can have everything you want out of life, if you'll help enough other people get what they want"
---------
Back when I was a serial dater I remember my mindset “get the girl, get the number” thats all I really cared about. During that time it was horrible. Women would politely say "ummm..no thanks.." and walk away. While some entertained a quick dance or small conversation it never went anywhere.

Yet, one day I shifted my thinking from “get the girl” to “just enjoy yourself in the company of others” things began to drastically change.I had the greatest time of my life with my friends, met some really cool people. I got to jam out with some DJ's, chat up with some hilarious bouncers, and basically entered an entirely new world that you'd see in the movies. Plus I ended up dating a really cool girl.

All because I shifted my focus on me > to them.

That profound realization, to be of service of others makes operating and running a business much easier. Helping others through service of your own work will help one attain those goals.

To put it short; I now understand the meaning of how does your business help me, as a person?

To expand upon that its - how does it help other business, competing business, consumers, news groups, educators, teachers, students, atheists,Christians, - how are you being of service to the world around you?

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the formula is:
The more people you help + The better your service and or work = the bigger the rewards you will receive

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Some time ago I met someone at a networking event in my type of industry. They aren't a direct competitor, but a complimentary business which is great. I read that WILL.I.AM built his success on collaborations...So we started working together.

They've been at it for 4 years, and they've not seen the results they wanted. Sales weren't where they wanted them to be, and things seemed bleak. Still I constantly told the owners “No way I definitely feel like you guys are going to blow up big, just need to maybe plan things a little better”

He then told me that he's opening up a retail store for his company and wanted to know what name he should use. I was shocked.

How in the world could you been in business for 4 years and not thought up a name for a store you're about to open?? (The name they currently were using was John Doe's Widgets) Nevertheless I pitched to them a few names I thought where rather interesting, but told him he should consult with his business partner(whose based in La).

Later he started asking questions about Seo, Marketing, Customer Acquisition, Branding. Etc Now I'm not a self proclaim expert on any of these things , I just happen to read a lot and take good notes so I gave them more ideas. Still I'm scratching my head thinking “Shouldn't I be asking you guys these types of questions??”

It then hit me while listening in on their conversation that these guys did not know what they were doing.
(Further evident as to when I explained how to get an AZ based llc, and what to fill out on the paper work. )

My philosophy teacher had once said that a lot of people in this world have the “techne” they have a technical understanding of their craft. They can produce great works, because they understand how to do such things..what most people lack though is the “Episteme” or the study of knowledge. They didn't study the business side of industry.

They didn't know how to do proper customer service, they didn't think of branding, they had no idea what sales funnel was and assumed it wasn't for them. They spent a large majority of their time learning about the creative building process of their widgets.

Risk Reversal offer wtf is that?

( Before pursing this venture my roommate told me “Either you're going to have to produce some really creative widgets, or you're going to have to become a genius businessmen.” I took the business route.)

Unfortunately, he sent me a text saying that he's not opening up a retail store. Didn't get approved for the location due to credit.

It's been hard but now at least I get to spend some me time and go relax...

I told him that I believe he will be of success if he just planned better, and maybe took the time to learn about the business side of things. He laughed it off and said “you'll learn dude lol
I told him “ Success is the achievement of a well thought out plan

his reply
ok lol

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Polyphasic sleep is to be done temporarily during temporary situations, or it will catch up to you.

If you are able to sleep continuously, it would be a better choice I think

I've recently stopped doing it because I noticed I was incredibly groggy. I've still been able to shorten my sleep to around 3-4 hrs with a few 30min breaks throughout the day. The hardest part is getting up out of bed and doing the work so I've started taking ice cold showers to "wake me up". Pretty brutal, but it works.

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
This made my day:

I had sent this reply to all those online who left negative feedback about my product

Hi, This is Tak Owner of Company name.

I'd like to personally say thanks for the feedback given about our company. I highly value your response as I feel that's the best way for a brand to grow and connect. Whenever you get the chance, I wanted to know if theirs any other questions or comments you may have? Feel free to email me personally at tak@companyname.com

Also, If possible could you do critique our site, prices, even the about me.

Currently we're { insert what you're doing for the company such as new line of products/ new blog post /whos going to guest posts on the blog} what additional types of content would you like to see?

As a token of our appreciation I'd like to send you one of our products on us

With Kind Regards, Tak
"

I got an email a few hours later:

Hi tak this is John Doe from (website name).

I appreciate how your brand is looking for feedback. Your products to me just don't seem to stick out enough to me to be able to compete with other brands doing similar things. By that I mostly mean the pictures of scantily clad women. (I followed the marketing premise of "sex sells" and had a ton of pictures with models in lingerie promoting our products. This is the 5th time I heard someone say they didn't like the pictures....I guess sex doesn't sell all the time.)

I like your product though compared to other similar product especially at the price point, I'm just concerned about the marketing I think if you can get some bloggers to rep your stuff you'll do well.(Perfect, as I've already complied a list of over 30 bloggers to reach out to) I would love a product from you and would do a public review on (website name) to let them know your product is quality.

Some people I'd like to see (he included various bloggers, and other influencers in the niche he'd like to hear more about or see from. Again they are already on my list) my address is xxxx I'll talk more when I'm not at work
"

Last edited:

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Update:
Just secured 3 interviews with a few big players Working on questions now - contemplating selling my bed and turning my studio into a live in office & a place to start doing youtube videos - amazon has some good deals on sleeping bags
Have a meeting with store next week
Scheduling myself for networking and outing events. (later today)
Rethinking my image / brand / business after listening to a few speakers from youtube ( i listen to them when im driving or running errands)
almost done mass emailing bloggers and other influentials ( halfway through added 50 more to the list)
redesigning the blog (still not done)
redoing the copywriting on the ecom site (almost finish)

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
My sis flew into town. Really chill person.

I've been able to secure a deal to meet with a store next week in town through the marketing girl. My issue now is to determine pay.

She hasn't done anything really. Simply pitched a few ideas here and there, but now its turning like she's less of a marketing person and more of an assistant as I dictate a few task's to her. Was wondering how to go about the subject of pay if I negotiate a contract with a store. My next issue is finding a lawyer to draft up the paper work to legalize everything. Does anyone have any recommendations?

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Having my sis over caused a lot of delay.
Sold another widget thats in preorder:
Sales: $72 in profit

Began contacting retailers so they can buy in bulk. Kinda nervous calling my first one.
2 Owners instructed me to send an email including my pricing. sent
Another said they're not interested

Booked another event to show case my stuff the end of next month
Recontacted the bloggers to do an interview > no response from them prior
One Relatively big musician said he wanted to meet in person, but their in Chicago. Thinking of going up to meet them.

Some folks in Atlanta are wanting to buy my second product that's in preorder in bulk to sell in their country

Contacted the marketing girl about the meet > haven't heard back

***Things are moving so slow likely because of the holidays : /

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
I've been where you are and have been kicking and screaming my way out of it dude.

The good news is you're under 25, with no kids and a modest rent. Mine is $1000 when you add in the services like water and valet trash. (Those are lumped on the base.) With that said, if you can collect that $2,000, get to strategizing.

Food is not going to be an issue. Someone is always willing to share, and when you grind, you kind of don't get hungry.
Car? My car needs a new head gasket... you and I can both be ginger with our vehicles until we get where we need to go.

As far as work... I haven't found a stable "hourly" job but I work for a premium retailer that pays on a commission-based basis. It's dirty and sweaty, but it's really about your ability to move, connect and sell, because you get what you grind for.

You have a product - that's also great. So get in on that trade show, don't worry about your sister, and start hustling your services for web design and SEO (it's simpler than most would think but people do not like doing the work or waiting for results), and just get out there and hit what you can.

And stay focused so that finding bliss in a urinal is a permanent thing of the past.

tak

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Aug 14, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Update:

Sales since last post: $78

Issue found:
I'm getting about 8-10ppl per day on the main site. My marketing plan isn't working. So I'll be focusing on Facebook/Google ppc

Budgeted using the zero envelope method. Its working wonders and my bills are well paid off.
For me, this is the best way to budget personally and as a business.

Completed the interviews for the blog - went from 1 visitor per day(on the blog) to 150

Preparing for the tradeshows & events:
Cards, brochures, and the likes all printed designed and completed.
Used Vistaprint and hopped on their new years end specials for 40% off
Contacted the event coordinators and they have me featured on their website / social media accounts

Chasing down store owners & online shopping sites.
Cold calls don't seem to work well. Many people instantly say "no not interested" what I'm going to try instead is approaching from a different angle, as in "Hey your friend said you might be interested."

Finding secondary sources to the "gate keepers" off of facebook and linkedin.

In regards to my current products, I figure I can sign up for some flea market type places and sell them there.

This is my final two weeks at my current job. Didn't think I'd stay here for this long, but due to the holidays they needed folks in. An extra paycheck is nice, but my boss gave me a heads up that today is my last day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.