The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you use structured data?

Idea threads

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
Hi Fastlaners,

Been a few months since I joined and still working on viable business ideas. As I wrote in my introduction, I have several years of experience with data, so ofc this is an industry in which I have most confidence. I don't want to go in too much details, but most places where I worked were some sort of data vendors, meaning getting the data from an unstructured public sources (news article, press release etc) and putting it in a structure (database) and sell it to companies that need this information for different reasons.

I don't want to give exact company names here, but for example there is a website that helps individual investors find all annual meetings, INSIDERS transactions, company financials etc of all public companies in one place which results in time savings and less headaches for its customers. It also allows them to compare issuers.

Or there is a different one for businesses in the financial sector that collects MnA transactions data from public press releases/annual reports/stock market announcements/regulatory filings and puts certain data points in a database and develops all sort of products related to that/sells the structured data to advisory firms. There is a different one that does the same with IPOs...

I'm bringing up financial examples because that's where I have experience, but any other industry opinion is more than welcome. So I'm wondering, is there any specific data in your industry/business that would be helpful to you? For example are you reading industry specific news portals and if yes why and what are you hoping to find there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Yes it’s a good business ideas.

For example if you got me a list of homeowners with a house lot size less than 1/4 acre I’d buy that list. Or if it could come in a format that I could use to advertise to on Facebook with a custom audience. I know people who would want to send emails to every @hyatt.com email for their service business that caters to hotels and large buildings.

For every industry there’s an example of a good place to make money with data processing. You are taking something free, mixing it up with 1’s and 0’s with a program, and creating something valuable (useful, easy to access data). That is entrepreneurship, converting something with a low economic yield into something with a high economic yield.

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
Yes it’s a good business ideas.

For example if you got me a list of homeowners with a house lot size less than 1/4 acre I’d buy that list. Or if it could come in a format that I could use to advertise to on Facebook with a custom audience. I know people who would want to send emails to every @hyatt.com email for their service business that caters to hotels and large buildings.

For every industry there’s an example of a good place to make money with data processing. You are taking something free, mixing it up with 1’s and 0’s with a program, and creating something valuable (useful, easy to access data). That is entrepreneurship, converting something with a low economic yield into something with a high economic yield.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation and examples!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Hi Fastlaners,

Been a few months since I joined and still working on viable business ideas. As I wrote in my introduction, I have several years of experience with data, so ofc this is an industry in which I have most confidence. I don't want to go in too much details, but most places where I worked were some sort of data vendors, meaning getting the data from an unstructured public sources (news article, press release etc) and putting it in a structure (database) and sell it to companies that need this information for different reasons.

I don't want to give exact company names here, but for example there is a website that helps individual investors find all annual meetings, INSIDERS transactions, company financials etc of all public companies in one place which results in time savings and less headaches for its customers. It also allows them to compare issuers.

Or there is a different one for businesses in the financial sector that collects MnA transactions data from public press releases/annual reports/stock market announcements/regulatory filings and puts certain data points in a database and develops all sort of products related to that/sells the structured data to advisory firms. There is a different one that does the same with IPOs...

I'm bringing up financial examples because that's where I have experience, but any other industry opinion is more than welcome. So I'm wondering, is there any specific data in your industry/business that would be helpful to you? For example are you reading industry specific news portals and if yes why and what are you hoping to find there?

Yes people will pay for stuff like this. People pay for news alerts for crypto or day trading where getting info quickly could be the difference between making millions or losing millions.

You can also do things like lead gen. Say for example you scrape indeed for companies that have posted a job for a sales development rep in the last 3 days and you scrape the email address + LinkedIn info of the founder + some other decision maker. Now you have a lead for someone who wants to do lead generation for a business.

Focus on simple shit like "does this help them make more money?" "Does this save them a lot of time?"

And more importantly - don't ask us, ask them! @Johnny boy had a thread on testing ideas - go read it. Go get the emails of some people in your demographic, buy a domain name + email using google domains, set up a landing page with Carrd - Simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for pretty much anything , use NeverBounce: Verify & Clean Bulk Email Lists to verify that the emails work, use a tool like QuickMail - Send Emails. Get Replies. to set up some email automation, and let her rip. You could test a few ideas a week doing this.

You can get emails from LinkedIn Sales Navigator + LinkedIn Scraping tools like LeadsArc for just under $200 a month. You could buy that and get a sense for how big some of your audiences are, then test a bunch of campaigns.

Example: here are 2.5K+ owners / founders of private equity companies with just 1-10 people in the USA. Come up with a bunch of potential lists for people like that, make a landing page describing what you'll build for them, blast them with some emails, then once you get enough bites, build it.

1667798888433.png

For example if you got me a list of homeowners with a house lot size less than 1/4 acre I’d buy that list. Or if it could come in a format that I could use to advertise to on Facebook with a custom audience.

Some states make county property appraiser data available online in big text file dumps. Some counties list the property size as well. You could take that data and upload it into Facebook ads for custom audience ads. The link below explains how to do this:

Last edited:

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
Yes people will pay for stuff like this. People pay for news alerts for crypto or day trading where getting info quickly could be the difference between making millions or losing millions.

You can also do things like lead gen. Say for example you scrape indeed for companies that have posted a job for a sales development rep in the last 3 days and you scrape the email address + LinkedIn info of the founder + some other decision maker. Now you have a lead for someone who wants to do lead generation for a business.

Focus on simple shit like "does this help them make more money?" "Does this save them a lot of time?"

And more importantly - don't ask us, ask them! @Johnny boy had a thread on testing ideas - go read it. Go get the emails of some people in your demographic, buy a domain name + email using google domains, set up a landing page with Carrd - Simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for pretty much anything , use NeverBounce: Verify & Clean Bulk Email Lists to verify that the emails work, use a tool like QuickMail - Send Emails. Get Replies. to set up some email automation, and let her rip. You could test a few ideas a week doing this.

You can get emails from LinkedIn Sales Navigator + LinkedIn Scraping tools like LeadsArc for just under $200 a month. You could buy that and get a sense for how big some of your audiences are, then test a bunch of campaigns.

Example: here are 2.5K+ owners / founders of private equity companies with just 1-10 people in the USA. Come up with a bunch of potential lists for people like that, make a landing page describing what you'll build for them, blast them with some emails, then once you get enough bites, build it.

View attachment 45810

Some states make county property appraiser data available online in big text file dumps. Some counties list the property size as well. You could take that data and upload it into Facebook ads for custom audience ads. The link below explains how to do this:

Thanks a lot, this is super useful!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
@svekk1 tools like hunter.io basically just scrape thousands websites for all of the contact info that they have listed.

You could just get one type of info from a bunch of different sites and aggregate it up.

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
You could just get one type of info from a bunch of different sites and aggregate it up.
I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't that be the same for the user as using hunter?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't that be the same for the user as using hunter?

No I'm not saying sell emails like hunter - I'm just saying that they have a general framework that you could learn from.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
@svekk1 here's a text file with over 20K professionals of all sorts (founders, salespeople, etc) along with their LinkedIn accounts and their company websites.

You could use this to get ideas of who to sell to.

Attachments

• linkedin_data.txt
    5.7 MB · Views: 6

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
@svekk1 here's a text file with over 20K professionals of all sorts (founders, salespeople, etc) along with their LinkedIn accounts and their company websites.

You could use this to get ideas of who to sell to.
Thanks! I don't have any product ideas yet that pe/vc firms would be interested in. You mentioned above asking them what problems they face that could be solved. Wouldn't that come off as unprofessional?

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017