The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would you apply for a job like this?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
So after my interview for this startup company was unsuccessful recently, after applying some more I found a job. It's a digital marketing job though there is a hiccup. So this job seems to have what I am looking for, but there are some red flags. I can't tell if it's just me or if it is most likely is something bad. Here are some things I've noticed.

* Reviews of the company's product - On one website it has over 90% of negative reviews all saying the exact same thing, so I think it's safe to assume that there is a problem there. The other site has 90% positive reviews, but I noticed everyday a couple of reviews are been published with accounts with 1-2 reviews.

* The previous and current employee reviews are mostly 4-5 star over 80% positive.

* The most recent review talks about how management have gone downhill and how massive amounts of workload are left until the end of the day. The company seems to response to all negative reviews by individuals, it addresses each point made by the employer but I can't tell if it is because a reputation thing that they respond or they are defensive about it.

* Previous employees are talking about high turn over but in the review the ceo or whatever seems to have addressed it and even admitted that there was a high turnover for certain reasons.

What is your opinion on something like this? People did also mention stress and that, but this company is a start up and I read that the interview is very difficult and technical.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
Never go into a job without a backup plan and an exit strategy. Most people spend half their time at one job looking at job openings on monster.com etc.

It sounds like a lot of people are abandoning ship and this company is on the way downhill. Just weigh the pros and cons.

You might learn some stuff and have money coming in, but the time you spend there in a negative environment is time you could spend finding the right job.

There is no perfect answer that applies to everyone, as your financial situation is unique. If you need money coming in, then you gotta keep the wolves at bay for a little while.

If you are in a strong financial position, I would look for a job without red flags before you even go to an interview.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
what is the purpose / goal of you getting a job?
will this opportunity provide what you need to grow?

go on an interview .... maybe you learn something ...... talk to the ceo and show him your concerns

now back to the important one ..... how does this job help your fastlane goals??

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
It seems like a sinking ship.

Maybe there's a mismatch between what's being advertised and what really this company is.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
Never go into a job without a backup plan and an exit strategy. Most people spend half their time at one job looking at job openings on monster.com etc.

It sounds like a lot of people are abandoning ship and this company is on the way downhill. Just weigh the pros and cons.

You might learn some stuff and have money coming in, but the time you spend there in a negative environment is time you could spend finding the right job.

There is no perfect answer that applies to everyone, as your financial situation is unique. If you need money coming in, then you gotta keep the wolves at bay for a little while.

If you are in a strong financial position, I would look for a job without red flags before you even go to an interview.
So that's the risk, I will be leaving my very secure job. As soon as I get my permanent status it's very hard to fire me. I have a second job, and if I want more shifts they will give it to me but lately things are looking a bit sour their as well.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
what is the purpose / goal of you getting a job?
will this opportunity provide what you need to grow?

go on an interview .... maybe you learn something ...... talk to the ceo and show him your concerns

now back to the important one ..... how does this job help your fastlane goals??
The purpose in this case because its a digital marketing job and its a startup is to get that experience while I am working on my fastlane stuff. I know that if I spend 8 hours a day at my job at a digital market those skills will definitely come in handy, where as my current job there is nothing I can apply from there. The positives are very good pay for my age and no qualifications, and security. Also working in a startup is a big plus, I think it will help me in my future endeavors. Been exposed to that environment and getting the experience will be really beneficial i think when it comes to my own startup.

You said show my concerns? I'm worried that would completely destroy my chances lol, I'm just thinking if I said "it seems there are alot of fake reviews on your site" lol. Can't imagine it would go down well.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
when it comes time for you to ask them question ..... say, I have done some research and have some concerns. Would it be ok if I shared those with you?

then read them your OP ..... ask for their thoughts

it's a startup, you are going above and beyond in doing the research and are looking at the business from a wider lens .... all pluses

if it is sketchy, you'll know immediately and wouldn't want to be there anyway ....
if it is understandable, you have shown trust and confidence....

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
I hired for a job similar to this last year and would have loved it if anyone I interviewed came in having done half as much research as you have done. I would expect that someone going for a position like this would look into all of the things you have looked into (and more) and for me it would be a big plus not a negative. Who knows how they will view it but if they get defensive and it "destroys your chances at the job" would you really want to work there anyway?

* Reviews of the company's product - On one website it has over 90% of negative reviews all saying the exact same thing, so I think it's safe to assume that there is a problem there.

Is there a chance this could be competition placing bad reviews?

Agreed. Use this as a learning experience. Make sure all your research and concerns are addressed and see how you feel about the interview afterwards. Interviews are meant to be two way streets, not only do they need to feel comfortable with you and your skills but it's equally as important that YOU feel good about them. Addressing your concerns in full and interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you will let you be certain whether the job is right for you.
It seems a lot of people are just happy to have a job or an interview and don't put in the work to make sure it's the right fit for them. Use the interview as a learning experience to ensure that the job and company are right for you.

LiveEntrepreneur

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Aug 17, 2017
Australia
I hired for a job similar to this last year and would have loved it if anyone I interviewed came in having done half as much research as you have done. I would expect that someone going for a position like this would look into all of the things you have looked into (and more) and for me it would be a big plus not a negative. Who knows how they will view it but if they get defensive and it "destroys your chances at the job" would you really want to work there anyway?

Is there a chance this could be competition placing bad reviews?

Agreed. Use this as a learning experience. Make sure all your research and concerns are addressed and see how you feel about the interview afterwards. Interviews are meant to be two way streets, not only do they need to feel comfortable with you and your skills but it's equally as important that YOU feel good about them. Addressing your concerns in full and interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you will let you be certain whether the job is right for you.
It seems a lot of people are just happy to have a job or an interview and don't put in the work to make sure it's the right fit for them. Use the interview as a learning experience to ensure that the job and company are right for you.
Interesting thats a good point on asking them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.