The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working on an invention

Devolope the technology slowly or faster with hired help from engineers?

• Total voters

Peter898

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2020
V3r7v8
Hi my name is Peter.

I have an idea for a new type of screw that hasn't been invented yet and would change everything about the industry.

I have some drawerings and ideas about how it will function, and I know it will work.

There is this company called (MAKO)

Which is an engineering and designing company which charges fees for developing, and getting a prototype built for inventors. Also they have access to manufacturing.

The 1st meeting we would both sign a non disclosure agreement to prevent my idea from being stolen.

Any advice? Should I get this type of company to help me get my idea faster in to the real world?

Sorry if this comes across as naive or dumb. Im being very cautious because this invention is ground breaking.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hi my name is Peter.

I have an idea for a new type of screw that hasn't been invented yet and would change everything about the industry.

I have some drawerings and ideas about how it will function, and I know it will work.

Which is an engineering and designing company which charges fees for developing, and getting a prototype built for inventors. Also they have access to manufacturing.

The 1st meeting we would both sign a non disclosure agreement to prevent my idea from being stolen.

Any advice? Should I get this type of company to help me get my idea faster in to the real world?

Sorry if this comes across as naive or dumb. Im being very cautious because this invention is ground breaking.
I`m sceptical, but you never know.
First things first, can YOU manufacture this screw?
Forget about companies and stuff.
How would you know its "ground braking" as you say, if you havent used said screw?
Do you have any experience in metal works?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
We all think we have a ground breaking new product and everyone is out to steal it. It’s natural to feel that way but it’s very, very rarely the case.

However personally I’d create a prototype using SketchUp and get it 3D printed. That is all you need for proof of concept and it’s a lot cheaper than using a design house.

Software like SketchUp is fairly simple to learn and there are loads of resources online.

Assuming you are talking about wood/metal screws:

I think your hardest problem will be in being able to patent it. There are a lot of screw designs out there that never made the grade or are regional.

In the UK we would never use a Philips head through choice as they are next to useless but very popular in the US for example.

Robinson’s are way better than Philips but inferior to Torx.

Then you have the different types of threads.

Have you looked at what’s out there already you maybe not familiar with?

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
Hi my name is Peter.

Recommended book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0967649404/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Peter898

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2020
V3r7v8
We all think we have a ground breaking new product and everyone is out to steal it. It’s natural to feel that way but it’s very, very rarely the case.

However personally I’d create a prototype using SketchUp and get it 3D printed. That is all you need for proof of concept and it’s a lot cheaper than using a design house.

Software like SketchUp is fairly simple to learn and there are loads of resources online.

Assuming you are talking about wood/metal screws:

I think your hardest problem will be in being able to patent it. There are a lot of screw designs out there that never made the grade or are regional.

In the UK we would never use a Philips head through choice as they are next to useless but very popular in the US for example.

Robinson’s are way better than Philips but inferior to Torx.

Then you have the different types of threads.

Have you looked at what’s out there already you maybe not familiar with?

Its not just an ordinary screw, it has moving parts and doesnt need to be tightened, best case scenario I would like to sell the Patant to IKEA, the screw doesnt require any tools so it would be great for children's toys, ikea products, and many other industries.

I'll try playing around with sketchup and finding a 3d printer, thank you for the advice. Still trying to see if it worth it to get someone else devolope it.

Peter898

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2020
V3r7v8
I`m sceptical, but you never know.
First things first, can YOU manufacture this screw?
Forget about companies and stuff.
How would you know its "ground braking" as you say, if you havent used said screw?
Do you have any experience in metal works?

I believe I can get a working prototype made out of 3d printed material but this screw has multiple moving parts to it, so would require alot of mechanical engineering on a laptop. Its possible but alot slower than getting a company to so. I haven't worked with metal but I'm a fast learner and motivated

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I'll try playing around with sketchup and finding a 3d printer, thank you for the advice. Still trying to see if it worth it to get someone else devolope it.

Check out Stephen Keys Book One Simple Idea (he did a Q&A here some years back). It’s about licensing your product. His website is more about mentoring people to market these days but well worth a look.

I believe I can get a working prototype made out of 3d printed material but this screw has multiple moving parts to it, so would require alot of mechanical engineering on a laptop

If you know what you want then get someone on Upwork etc. to do the CAD drawings for you from your freehand sketches. Saves having to learn yourself. Get it 3D printed then get your contractor to tweak is as necessary.

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
Hi Peter, I can help if you are looking to get it licensed. I license my own products and have coached over 160 people on how to license their products.

If you are looking to license it there is an approach. You don't need to get expense prototypes or Patents...I usually don't spend more than $200 before I get a company wanting to license it.

thanks for the ping @ZCP

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter898

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 22, 2020
V3r7v8
Hi Peter, I can help if you are looking to get it licensed. I license my own products and have coached over 160 people on how to license their products.

If you are looking to license it there is an approach. You don't need to get expense prototypes or Patents...I usually don't spend more than $200 before I get a company wanting to license it.

thanks for the ping @ZCP

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi! Thanks for replying to my post! I just started reading ( One Simple Idea ) - Stephen Key on how to licence ideas.

I would love to know your approach!!

Thanks
- Peter

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
hire him @Peter898
save time. hire experts. get good coaching. shortcut.
you can get more money. you cannot get more time.

Rearden

Inventor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Aug 24, 2017
Michigan
I am mentioned a couple of times in the One Simple Idea book. I worked with Stephen for 5 years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.