The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working music?

Anything related to matters of the mind

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
A lot of people tend to have music playlists for when they work out in the gym, and I'm no exception. But I've also found that during that time there are some songs that get me in the right mindset to develop breakthrough answers in my head or motivate me to come back to the house and immediately get to work.

So out of curiosity, do any of y'all have music you like to listen to either while working, or that you listen to to get you in the right mindset/find the motivation to get back to work when you feel like you're fading out?

Here's a couple of mine(don't make fun of some of them being cheesy), please share yours if you have any!

Counting Stars - OneRepublic:
Dream On - Aerosmith:
High Life - B.o.B.:
So Good- B.o.B.:

So, what are yours?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

VUUmarketing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 1, 2013
Renton, WA
I have a 10 hour soundtrack to success. It includes:

Rise Against - Rumors of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Rise Against - Anywhere But Here
Rise Against - Tip the Scales
Rise Against - Survive
B.o.B. ft. Eminem - Airplanes

Last edited:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
If you want to be more focused while actively doing something, listen to instrumental music only. The vocals in music can disrupt your concentration (well at least for me).

Test it out for yourself though. Try to read when you have a song playing in the *background* with catchy lyrics, especially with headphones on hahaha. You might be able to do it, but it is most likely better to not include lyrics for optimized concentration.

EDM, Lounge Music, Jazz, Classic Rock, Classical Music, etc. Is what I listen to most of the time when doing something.

Here are some songs that you might like...they all have lyrics though.

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
If you want to be more focused while actively doing something, listen to instrumental music only. The vocals in music can disrupt your concentration (well at least for me).

Yeah, I've had the same experience for myself. Although most of the songs I listed above are actually things I listened to while at the gym, which either brought a wave of motivation over me or helped me find an alternative answer to an issue I was really grinding on.
I also like listening to them while doing things that are a bit more mindless to me, e.g. coding, web development, etc. Just punching in numbers and that kind of thing. The exciting, motivating music helps me keep from getting bored and of course reminds me why I'm doing something I think is so boring in the moment.

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
A couple others that do it for me:

Also, I'm getting the idea that perhaps everyone else's taste in music here is a bit different from mine... oh well :D

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
I agree man, the music overrides the boredom haha.

This YT channel has LONG mixes that I filled my old iPod with (the one I use for workouts). Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMotivationalMan/videos

Listening to "Moment of Clarity" right now ;) Never listened to it before.

I'll definitely check out that channel!

And that's awesome! How're you liking it? It's definitely a favorite of mine. Never fails to help me clear my head.

VUUmarketing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 1, 2013
Renton, WA
Tinie Tempah - Written in the Stars
Saliva - Click Click Boom
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
3 Doors Down - Changes
3 Doors Down - Duck & Run

VUUmarketing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 1, 2013
Renton, WA
3 Doors Down - Be Somebody
Story of the Year - Our Time is Now
Thrice - Artist in the Ambulance
Rebelution - Courage to Grow
Rebelution - Bump

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
@VUUmarketing I really like that Written In The Stars one. I think I'd only ever heard the chorus before, but the whole song actually sounds really good.

That also reminds me how much I've always liked 3 doors down but always forget about them.

VUUmarketing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Dec 1, 2013
Renton, WA
Yeah, I love these songs so much...

I've listened to bands like Rise Against and 3 Doors Down for over a decade and they kept on inspiring me to live my dreams. Even when I was absolutely alone with no one in my life... I had music. :)

I started to incorporate inspirational rap songs into my playlist. If a song makes me cry, it's a keeper!

Forgot about Kid Cudi!

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
Most of us of have started from the bottom...

I did like that song for a while. Then slowly grew to hate it as it consumed the radio every time I drove somewhere, and my old sales manager used to play it every day.:mad:

It got old very fast, but nonetheless I still like it occasionally. Sad that that's how it ends up going with most songs I like at first though.

Which reminds me of some others:

davedev

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
372%
Jun 3, 2013
Florida
I prefer not to listen to lyrics when working, here's some stuff I use when I get serious about work.

6 Hours of Beethoven

Chopin Nocturnes 1hr

You can't go wrong with Chopin.

EDIT: The Chopin is great because I think about how awesome it'll be to hear it in any Concert Hall I choose in a few years. Or smoke a fine cigar with it playing through some brand of speakers I never heard of.

quickdrawyall

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Nov 8, 2013
Definitely gonna add the Chopin to my list. That sounds really good.

I like Beethoven and do listen to some of his stuff sometimes. Although I've been told that something about the way that Beethoven's music is arranged is that it's more emotional, whereas Baroque classical music helps align your thought processes? I'm not quite sure, never looked much into it but it's what I've heard, and I can definitely hear the difference and why people would say that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.