The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working at a 9-5, kind of insulting experience today. How would YOU react?

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Are you kidding me dude? You work for him. He dictates when and where you will be working. He pays you.

The new generation in general feels they shouldn't have to work much. Why are you only working 3 days a week at 20 years old. Unless your independently wealthy you need to get real.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I'm sure that your boss didn't mean to be insulting. He probably assumes that you are like most people working three days per week: You'd love to work 5! He probably even thought you'd be happy to work 5 days!

As long as you are 20 years old, I'd keep the job, keep the money, develop thicker skin, learn some more lessons at this job. Keep working on your side business, of course, but don't get insulted about someone actually FLATTERING you by offering you more hours at work :)

1PercentStreet

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 16, 2012
Vegas
they act like I'm an idiot when I say "Yeah, I am working from home, slowly building it up....I use this to finance it."
Not to call the kettle black but... why in the hell are you telling anyone what you're doing besides your job? You're basically telling them,"Oh hai dere, I want yo money so I can leave later". Something like that at least.

Keep your shit to yourself, let your work speak for itself.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
As if the job was my life.
But of course it is.... for him.

He probably assumes that you are like most people working three days per week: You'd love to work 5! He probably even thought you'd be happy to work 5 days!
True that.

You're basically telling them,"Oh hai dere, I want yo money so I can leave later". Something like that at least.
I don't agree.

Have you heard of the term 'networking'? It basically means you should talk to people and see how you can help them and, maybe, they can help you too.

I talk about my plans to co-workers. Friends. Family.

Yup, most don't get it.

But some of them do.

When they see an opportunity, they call me because they know I am doing something similar.

When they think about a business, they talk to me, ask me for my opinion. Invite me to invest or partner with them. Why? Because they know I get it.

This is a very lonely path. Why make it lonelier?

But again, I am OK with it because I am, most of the time, ok with the people that try to put me down. Simply ignore them.

How do I do this?

I tell them about a story I read about an entrepreneur. I use examples of others, to see how they react.

Or I ask them about their dream.

To a boss, you can easily tell her/him: "You are very good at this... have you thought of running your own business?"

If they are human, you get a 99% chance of them having spent at least a couple of hours thinking about it.

Let them talk.

But the key point here is, you first need to be willing to help them and expect nothing, NOTHING, in return.

Anyway, I seem to have this particular way of thinking, so to each its own.

thinslicer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 13, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
You felt Insulted? Why?
If you're insulted by that, than you're not ready for business. Seriously. You haven't seen anything yet.
Good luck because you'll need it. You're going to need to be a hell of a lot tougher my friend. What are you going to do when one of your customers decides to curse you out? Are you going to feel insulted?
My motivation for going to work is to realize how much I hate it, which makes me want to work harder

-I can empathize with you a great deal Tommy since Im in fairly similar boat.
-Lots of great responses here that others in similar situations like you and I can gain from.
-It's harder for younger guys like us to be thick-skinned like TheJ and Slim mentioned, so while you are developing that tough-mindedness that of course is needed for entrepreneurship or success in any field, I think some more instant solutions are keeping quite and use it as a motivation and fuel to get ahead in your side business so you will have the option to quit one day

-Speaking of younger guys, I made a life-changing decisions to quit pharmacy school once to pursue online poker professionally and trying some small start-up projects, and although I failed and now are back in school, I learn many many invaluable lessons and have no regrets. So my point is being young allow you the option to quit like mlcmartin said, and pursue your endeavors 100%, you will lose the current income but you will have more time and work extra hard, probably need to save up some before though for basic necessities like ramen noodles haha.

-At my current job, I had countless times where I wanted to quit, but always decided to stick with it bc I look at it as motivation like you, I need the money and experience. I was literally 90% going to quit after sitting through my performance evaluation. But I did some research and talked with my mom and mentor which all led me to looking at my problems differently, I began to be more professional, showing up early and never late to work, be more friendlier to co-workers, be more professional at work, do everything 120%, treat my boss with respect, kill them with kindness, and work actually became a bit more tolerable. I actually sort of treat my job like a business that pays in qualities to build my personal development portfolio if you will, things like patience, reading people, anticipate and manipulate difficult situations, solving "people" problems, and many more....Oh and pain tolerance...I work at a pharmacy and some patients are not too pleasant especially when their own insurance doesn't pay for their meds and I probably got cursed out 3-4 times in the last 4 months I started working.

hat are you going to do when one of your customers decides to curse you out? Are you going to feel insulted?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My 2 cents:

All the successful people I know, read about, and listen to, say the same thing:

"When I had a job, it didn't matter what it was - I was the best at it."

I've personally had this paradigm shift hit me recently. I've been so focused on the other side of the fence that the side I'm on always suffered. I always thought "Oh, well this doesn't matter, because I REALLY want what's over there, so that's where my focus should be". Everything suffered with this mindset. I developed lazy habits at my 9-5 and that naturally turned into lazy habits with everything else in my life.

When you develop an attitude of excellence, in EVERYTHING, that habit is transferable. I don't know anyone who works their a$$ off at work and comes home incapable of lifting a finger. Likewise I don't know anyone who is a lazy bastard on the job but is the perfect picture of productivity elsewhere.

Bottom line: if the fence between "here" and "there" is too high, build yourself up on the side you are on until you just have to take a small step over the fence to the other side.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Bottom line: if the fence between "here" and "there" is too high, build yourself up on the side you are on until you just have to take a small step over the fence to the other side.

That's a pretty cool way to think about it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've been so focused on the other side of the fence that the side I'm on always suffered. I always thought "Oh, well this doesn't matter, because I REALLY want what's over there, so that's where my focus should be". Everything suffered with this mindset. I developed lazy habits at my 9-5 and that naturally turned into lazy habits with everything else in my life.
This is pure gold. Rep++ for providing this insight.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
You've already had a lot of variable advice, coming from different angles. I just wanted to add this one point as it seemed quite popular and I don't totally agree...

Well man until you do not need that job, you take the verbal abuse just like everyone else. Then when the day comes that you can quit, walk up to him kindly and put your two weeks in. Never burn bridges, you never know when you might need someone to fall back on. Definitely make sure he remembers you though, that way in 5 years when you randomly pull up next to him at the gas station in your sick dream car you can make sure to reintroduce yourself and ask him how that 9-5 he still works at is going.

"Burn your bridges" has a lot of truth, but you can still be polite and stand up for yourself if you deem it beneficial for you
Now the "take the verbal abuse just like everyone else" I just can't agree. It's surely not about being like everyone else?
Look at case studies of successful entrepreneurs/millionaires etc. Though some did keep their head low when necessary, a higher than average proportion don't and can be very headstrong
It depends on your personal inclinations and the CONTEXT.
Take the verbal abuse? Nope you don't have to take anything. Keep your head low and play the game -fine, when necessary. But it's not the only way and for many could set them up into a frame of mind where you let yourself be disrespected as a normal part of your self-image

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
You shouldn't feel insulted. It's the life of an employee. You're lucky you even have a job lol (don't be insulted...) If you feel so insulted, you say.. "I quit" And you walk off. There's no point in being emotional about this kind of crap.

I don't have a job right now, and do I miss working? No. I don't miss working. I haven't work in over a month now. I am totally dedicated to my fastlane idea right now. The money will take a while to roll in but I am living on "nickles and pennies" lol. It's the life.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
To the OP, mind if I ask what type of job it is? Is it corporate or small? Physical or desk?

Also, as some others have said, try and keep the financial talk to a minimum. You're blatantly telling them "Hey, I don't care about you or your company or the quality of work that gets done. I'm just using you." In 5 years when you own a company and have employees, would you hire yourself with that mentality? If you say yes you're lying. You'll hire the person who is a die hard loyal employee that lives, breathes, and dreams at night about the company.

I just left a corporate software job. It served it's purpose to accelerate my knowledge base, experience, and help finance my dreams. I'd have to say it was 10% work and 90% politics. Well long story short, I suck at playing office politics. Play the politics, get what you need out of it, get out, and come get rich. :)

faromic

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
This post is in response to a comment I saw on the first page of this thread about demanding more money for working the extra time.

I don't think that demanding a higher rate for work 2 days during the week is gonna fly. At the places I've worked I've never seen anyone even think about saying that. Remember most people are replaceable at their jobs. They think they aren't but they are. It's like your sitting at work thinking how great the work is that you do and no one can perform at this level. It's a false sense of security.
I've been around this first hand. My dad has a business and sometimes his employees ask for a raise of $1 an hour because they're doing good work..Sometimes he gives it to them sometimes he doesn't. But I'm pretty much certain if they demanded more money he'd tell them to go find someone else to pay them that money.
As a matter a fact there was a situation like this recently. He was bidding on a job and in order to get it he had to do to it for a lower price that he wanted. So he approached a couple employees and asked them if they would be willing to do the project at a fixed rate. They didn't want and stayed home instead not getting paid. It's a construction business and work can be scarce in the winter.

The point is that I doubt demanding more money is going to get you anywhere. You may even burn a bridge, which I don't like doing, even though I plan to have my own businesses one day.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
So, I work only about 3 days a week, I've found a semi-ok way to do passive income but I still need the other job to finance the rest of my stuff (I'm 20 btw).

So today, my boss walks up to me and says

"Hey, you're working 5 days next week"

Like most of you here, When I am off, I am still working...but on bigger and better projects that make money.....NOT just sitting around waiting to work my 9-5. My motivation for going to work is to realize how much I hate it, which makes me want to work harder"

Anyway, these people just don't get it. Just because I am younger than most of the people there, they act like I'm an idiot when I say "Yeah, I am working from home, slowly building it up....I use this to finance it."

See, I am glad I got the hours, its just more money for me...but I was EXTREMELY insulted by the way he TOLD me to it, he didn't even F*cking ask! As if I didn't have friends, plans, or anything else going on. Just assuming I was a machine ready to roll at his Beck and Call. Also, I couldn't say "Listen, when I don't work here, I work at home". He'd laugh in my face!

How would you guys have responded to this?

How would I react? I would listen to him if I needed to keep my job or I would quit if I didn't want to work for him anymore. The thing is bud, this guy will always have control over you as long as you work for him, get used to it, its part of being employed by someone else.

You have no say about ANYTHING ELSE. It is 100% up to him how many days you work, how much you are paid, and even if he wants to fire your a$$. He doesn't need a reason.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Damn, what a revival! Yeah, believe it or not I get along very well with him now, but am still trying to be self employed.

Ali

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 10, 2012
Oman
No matter what your wealth building plans are, you still need to work extra hard at some point in your life. I can't think of a better time than when you are 20. You just need to avoid getting addicted to hard work so it becomes your 2nd nature.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
No matter what your wealth building plans are, you still need to work extra hard at some point in your life. I can't think of a better time than when you are 20. You just need to avoid getting addicted to hard work so it becomes your 2nd nature.

Wait, I need to avoid it to get Addicted? Or does that mean I'm like a contrarian, so if other people not to do it, I do it?

D

DeletedUser13

When you develop an attitude of excellence, in EVERYTHING, that habit is transferable. I don't know anyone who works their a$$ off at work and comes home incapable of lifting a finger. Likewise I don't know anyone who is a lazy bastard on the job but is the perfect picture of productivity elsewhere.

This.

Thanks for bringing that up, I can tell it's true from my own experience.

theadamie

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Dec 30, 2012
Kyoto, Japan
Right now you're still a slave, being told what to do is pretty standard for slavery.
Like you said, let it be motivation, don't let it get you down.

qewrtyass

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Apr 30, 2013
if you want to get out. get out clean.
you have no idea some of them will probably have significant role later in your future dream.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.