The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

wordpress, good themes?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
So im going to start a blog to attract more people to my products and i have started to use wordpress to build my blog. Im at the moment using the virtue theme.

I want my blog to look good but not have any gimmicks, i want it to be direct and easy. At the start im going to add contect and after a couple of weeks add some products. Do you guys think the virtue theme can do that? Or should i pay for a better theme, im a total newbie on coding.

The problem im facing is that when making a simply site it almost look little naked and not so proffesional. Myabe that will change when i add some content :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

greyhat

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Feb 8, 2015
The first thing I look for is speed. With speed being a big SEO factore I like to make sure my theme is lightweight and SEO optimised.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Depends on the direction you want to go with your site. I suggest themeforest, awesome wordpress themes over there. I have a subscription with elegant themes, they're pretty good too. If you want any from there let me know, I'll hook you up.

Cheers

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I've recommended it before, but my favorite is still Pagelines DMS (I'm not affiliated). Really easy to use and your website end up looking custom-made not just a tweaked theme. Great support forums and documentation too.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
absolute BEST wordpress/woocommerce theme I have seen and used myself is Flatsome

there are million dollar companies using that theme its ridiculous

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I would not so much look at the "Theme" but at the "Framework"

The best frameworks I've seen so far where:
Genesis
and
Hybrid

A good framework, added with achild theme that you customize to your needs (and cut out any code's not needed) Will result in a good, fast and stable website.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
A good framework, added with achild theme that you customize to your needs (and cut out any code's not needed) Will result in a good, fast and stable website.

I've just learned this the hard way. I created my site with a theme purchased off ThemeForest. It looks great, don't get me wrong. But the javascripting conflicts with Visual Editor & a host of other things that make editing my site a nightmare -or flat out impossible in any kind of aesthetic manner. It's actually forcing me to re-create my site with Genesis (as suggested by @LightHouse), as the previous theme's creator has no updates & is not addressing what seems to be a pretty glaring issue.

Lesson learned. Damn.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I would not so much look at the "Theme" but at the "Framework"

The best frameworks I've seen so far where:
Genesis
and
Hybrid

Can you elaborate on this? How would you look for a good framework? What separates a good one from a bad one? I've seen a lot of wordpress advice but this is new to me... I'm worried now :p

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
Can you elaborate on this? How would you look for a good framework? What separates a good one from a bad one? I've seen a lot of wordpress advice but this is new to me... I'm worried now :p

There are several frameworks out there.

What a good framework has:

- Solid code to start up with (This aids in the speed it takes to create and optimize your website)
- SEO optimization
- Streamlined CSS/Codes (Speeds up the site)
- Easiness to change/add features.
- How well do they work together with WordPress updates+plugins.
- How well-established is their community. the bigger ones such as Genesis has a big community, so also more plugins and code snippets written for them, along with more places to get help.
- wide variety of child themes that you can customize to your need.
- Has optimization for pictures, galaries and the like.
- Responsive
- Security

Bad ones:

- Slow to load
- Lots of unnecessary clutter
- Hard to find support for
- Hard to customize
- not SEO optimized

And pretty much anything the opposite on what I listed under "Good frameworks"

There are a lot of different frameworks around,
From free ones such as "Hybrid-core" to premium ones such as genesis, woothemes and so on.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
+1 for themforest, I use/d volcano/thumb/compasso for my blogs without all the bells and whistles added.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Didn't read all the other suggestions because I'm on mobile, but I just picked up a theme called X and it's pretty awesome. Works very well and is developed by Americans who seem to understand exactly what the end user needs.

Clenrock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Oct 14, 2014
The most downloaded theme is Avada theme. I also use it and it's a great theme. You can do almost everything you want to have on your site with it!

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.