The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Windows 7 student upgrade hell

Seshiro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 14, 2009
Microsoft's big launch, in turns out, was not entirely trouble-free
Image: Digital River

College students who took advantage of a "deal too sweet to pass up" have run into a bit of trouble.
The $29 electronic version of Windows 7 Home Edition sold for Microsoft (MSFT) through Digital River (DRIV) doesn't seem to install properly some on 32-bit Vista machines.
Apparently the download files weren't properly packaged, or something, and when some users tried to "unload the box" they got an error that read:
"We are unable to create or save new files in the folder in which this application was downloaded"
A discussion thread with that title was begun on Microsoft Answers' Windows 7 install forum less than 3 hours after the new operating system launched. By Saturday morning it had generated more than 500 replies and been read nearly 44,000 times.
Microsoft acknowledged the problem Thursday evening and by Friday was reportedly offering refunds. Meanwhile, however, Microsoft technicians are pointing users to a five-step Download Squad workaround (pasted below the fold) that might be enough to send students screaming to the nearest Apple Store.
Any bets on how long it will be before the incident turns up in an Apple (AAPL) Get a Mac ad?
[Follow Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Twitter @philiped]

From Download Squad:
So you're a student who has taken advantage of the crazy upgrade deal from win741.com but instead of looking at a nice, shiny ready-to-install ISO of Windows 7, Digital River sent you a handful of random files and no ISO! Fortunately, it's very easy to turn them into an installable ISO! Follow this very quick guide to get Windows 7 installing right away.
To start with, make sure your downloaded Windows 7 files (the 'expandedSetup' directory) is unzipped into C:\ — it'll make things easier later.
1. Download this tool — alternatively you can obtain the official pack from Microsoft, but that's a whole darn gigabyte.
2. Unzip and move oscdimg.exe to your System32 directory (likely to be C:\Windows\System32)
3. Open an elevated command prompt. In Vista you do this by typing 'cmd' into your 'Start Menu' and hitting ctrl+shift+enter.In XP, just type 'cmd' into the Run dialogue (Windows Key+R or from your Start Menu).
4. Type (or copy and paste) the following into your command prompt (this will vary a little, depending on where you've put your expandedSetup folder):
oscdimg.exe –u2 –b"C:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com" –h "C:\expandedSetup" C:\WIN7.ISO
5. Ta'da! You've got a burnable ISO!
All you need to finish the job is a good burning application like ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP, or InfraRecorder. For this particular task I'd recommend ImgBurn – then just right click the ISO file and start the burn from your context menu. Or launch ImgBurn and choose "write image file to disc" — your choice!
No DVD burner? If you have a 4GB USB flash drive handy, check out this app!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can you please direct link the source? You can't just copy articles from other sites to here. Thanks Seshiro!!!

Seshiro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 14, 2009
OOOOPs sorry MJ, Just trying to inform the board.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
When I get a new computer sometime late next year I'll get it with Windows 7, by than all the bugs will be worked out.

I never buy a product until its been in the market for awhile. I prefer to let others sort out all the bugs for me.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Hope its a improvement to vista. I have xp at home, best version so far imo.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
I've had windows 7 for about two or so months now. I have used Vista for a total of maybe an hour. I HATE vista like most people. Windows 7 is like vista in that it looks pretty much the same, but it doesn't ask you fifty questions if you want to delete something and everything is where it should be. I like it better than XP.

If you want to know anything else just ask :)

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
Have been using the release candidate for the past few months and it has been fantastic, have had zero issues. Going to get a 5-pack of Ultimate licenses soon.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs

mfa385

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 26, 2009
I'm in college right now, and I used my school email address to pre-order Windows 7. I was one of the 44,000+ comments on their site, venting my frustrations. I called Digital River (the company Microsoft contracted to sell us Win 7) and demanded a refund. They told me refunds are against their policy... I told them I paid for goods/services not rendered, and they should be more concerned with the fact that what they did was against the law.

I demanded a supervisor, then explained to her I couldn't care less about their policy- there policy is assuming a successful transaction in the first place so her argument was void. She gave in and credit my bank account $30. Never dealing with them again.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
^sounds like your pretty mad.

So are you even going to buy Windows 7. Even though your mad at the company, I doubt you will ever find Windows 7 at the price again. This may hurt you in the long run..

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
Windows 7 > Every other operating system on the market (including Linux builds)

mfa385

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 26, 2009
^sounds like your pretty mad.

So are you even going to buy Windows 7. Even though your mad at the company, I doubt you will ever find Windows 7 at the price again. This may hurt you in the long run..

Yeah I was mad but I still have the files I downloaded and the product key. I found a workaround online and created an ISO image to burn which may actually work out in the end. So I'll still install Win 7 and I got my refund too. If it doesn't work, I'm extremely happy with XP, my system has never once crashed in 4 years since I built it. It helps that I am an IT professional though. :groove:

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
I dont get it. Windows XP had the same issues windows Vista HAD.

There were driver problems, issues blah blah blah, but they were fixed when SP1 came out and imporved for SP2 and SP3. Now its pretty much flawless.

So Microsoft creates vista and it has the same problems as when XP came out. Why the hype? Because a hell of a lot more people are on computers, and complain about it. Vista IMO works great now, I have Vista Business SP2 and I love it compared to Windows XP. I dont think i will upgrade to Windows 7 for a long time. WHY? It was only created to make people happy.

Its kinda like buying a car, a lot of people wont buy a new model car until the next years model comes out, you know "to work the kinks out" Its the same way with an OS.

end rant

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
My rant is not to say Windows 7 is bad, I think its great! Just dont see any reason to change from Vista to 7.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
Yeah I was mad but I still have the files I downloaded and the product key. I found a workaround online and created an ISO image to burn which may actually work out in the end. So I'll still install Win 7 and I got my refund too. If it doesn't work, I'm extremely happy with XP, my system has never once crashed in 4 years since I built it. It helps that I am an IT professional though. :groove:

Oh ok. IF your an IT it shouldn't be that hard. Just burn the ISO image to a DVD and boot from the DVD. Did you already make the files into an ISO?

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
My rant is not to say Windows 7 is bad, I think its great! Just dont see any reason to change from Vista to 7.

Vista uses a TON of memory and it actually slower than XP.

I understand you not wanting to change if you are already satisfied with what you have though.

mfa385

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 26, 2009
Oh ok. IF your an IT it shouldn't be that hard. Just burn the ISO image to a DVD and boot from the DVD. Did you already make the files into an ISO?

Yeah I made the ISO using the workaround in DOS but I ran through all my blank DVDs trying to get it working before the workaround came out. So I have yet to find out if the bootable DVD will work but it should. Either way, we should have gotten a working solution from Digital River/Micro$oft rather than rely on a smart hacker to figure things out.

Microsoft failed hard on this one. I was using the release candidate for a while but couldn't find some of the drivers I needed so I'm back using XP Pro. Looking forward to installing Windows 7 though... especially since I got the $30 back for my troubles. You'd think after the Vista fiasco Microsoft would've really tried hard to redeem themselves but then again, they only ripped off a bunch of students so what do they care. I won't be mad if my CD key doesn't work at activation since I was issued a refund but its worth a shot. I'm getting DVDs today after class so I'll post an update... hopefully using Windows 7 OS.

mfa385

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 26, 2009
I dont get it. Windows XP had the same issues windows Vista HAD.

There were driver problems, issues blah blah blah, but they were fixed when SP1 came out and imporved for SP2 and SP3. Now its pretty much flawless.

So Microsoft creates vista and it has the same problems as when XP came out. Why the hype? Because a hell of a lot more people are on computers, and complain about it. Vista IMO works great now, I have Vista Business SP2 and I love it compared to Windows XP. I dont think i will upgrade to Windows 7 for a long time. WHY? It was only created to make people happy.

Its kinda like buying a car, a lot of people wont buy a new model car until the next years model comes out, you know "to work the kinks out" Its the same way with an OS.

end rant

I agree with you except that from actually using the Win 7 RC (release candidate) I can vouch that 7 is much improved over Vista. However, you are right, there will be bugs that will have to be addressed in the first service pack. In a small way, Win 7 is just a Vista service pack but MS really did add important features and fix a lot of issues.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
I will have to look into vista. I'm hoping Microsoft has all their ducks in a row for this launch.

As for memory, I don't use any more than maybe 300-400megs over Windows XP.

maximus20895

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 16, 2009
Knoxville,TN
^well done.

You make a very good point how there are alot of companies/schools that didn't upgrade to vista and now are considering upgrading to windows 7.

Even though Windows 7 was build on the Vista kernal, I believe it is superior to it.

Knightsman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 14, 2009
South Carolina
What are you saying Knightsman? Are you not a dedicated Windows fan? Tiss tiss

haha no, I am an ultimate Windows Fan! ....not that extreme

I like Linux as well but I prefer windows environment. Im more taking up for them than anything. I think people should have given vista a chance. And let Microsoft build upon it. Considering the same problems XP had and how great of an OS it is now. oh well lol, 7 is here to stay, and ill updrade around sp1.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.