The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will trademark do the trick?

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
I've tried to find the answer to this question on the forum and google, but cannot find a definite answer.

I build and app. Lets call it, XYZ. But the domain name(s) XYZ.com and XYZapp.com are taken. Same with social media. fb.com/XYZapp and twitter.com/XYZapp.

-The social media pages for XYZapp have very little likes and very little activity.
-The XYZ.com looks like an old website, might still be active, I don't know. Looks like it hasn't been updated in ages, not as interested in this domain.
-XYZapp.com is taken, just 2 months ago, but domain is parked. (redirects to godaddy.com)

I understand the "first to use vs first to file" policy, but if I Trademark XYZapp or XYZapp.com can I legally be able to make them surrender the domain name? Does the "FTU vs FTF" even apply? especially since they haven't used it yet (except for just owning it)?

Will one trademark under XYZ do the trick? or will I have to file XYZ, XYZapp, and XYZapp.com separately?

A link to the first to use vs first to file information http://www.legalteamusa.net/tacticalip/2013/04/01/trademark-law-first-to-use-v-first-to-file/

All input is appreciated. I'll most likely consult with an attorney tomorrow as well.
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 2, 2015
Boston, MA
I've tried to find the answer to this question on the forum and google, but cannot find a definite answer.

I build and app. Lets call it, XYZ. But the domain name(s) XYZ.com and XYZapp.com are taken. Same with social media. fb.com/XYZapp and twitter.com/XYZapp.

-The social media pages for XYZapp have very little likes and very little activity.
-The XYZ.com looks like an old website, might still be active, I don't know. Looks like it hasn't been updated in ages, not as interested in this domain.
-XYZapp.com is taken, just 2 months ago, but domain is parked. (redirects to godaddy.com)

I understand the "first to use vs first to file" policy, but if I Trademark XYZapp or XYZapp.com can I legally be able to make them surrender the domain name? Does the "FTU vs FTF" even apply? especially since they haven't used it yet (except for just owning it)?

Will one trademark under XYZ do the trick? or will I have to file XYZ, XYZapp, and XYZapp.com separately?

A link to the first to use vs first to file information http://www.legalteamusa.net/tacticalip/2013/04/01/trademark-law-first-to-use-v-first-to-file/

All input is appreciated. I'll most likely consult with an attorney tomorrow as well.
Thanks!

From my understanding, I was told that the trademark trumps all.

http://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts.pdf

Page 1.

Also, it takes 3 - 4 months for a trademark to go through, so be aware of that, I am in that process right now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.