The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will our brains soon have internet access? Musk to make big Neuralink reveal this week.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The firm, which aims to develop “ultra high bandwidth brain-machine interfaces to connect humans and computers,” announced Thursday plans to host an event in San Francisco on the evening of July 16.

The event’s announcement sparked elation among the account’s 39,000 followers. One follower, called “Derik,” referred to it as “the greatest leap in human evolution.”

Musk has regularly spoken about the need to create a brain-computer interface to stop the growth of super-smart A.I. In September 2016, Musk stated that a “human-A.I. symbiote” would help “democratize” A.I. and take power away from an “evil dictator” machine. Basically, to avoid artificial intelligence taking over, humans will have to merge with artificial intelligence:

I think if we can effectively merge with A.I. by improving the neural link between your cortex and your digital extension of yourself, which already, like I said, already exists, just has a bandwidth issue. And then effectively you become an A.I.-human symbiote. And if that then is widespread, with anyone who wants it can have it, then we solve the control problem as well, we don’t have to worry about some evil dictator A.I. because we are the A.I. collectively.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
Oh yeah so i don't have any privacy on my phone/computer.

So let's have no privacy in my brain also.

What could go wrong ?

Literally everything.

But that's what humans do. We live in truly interesting and unpredictable times.

I remember reading that humans were stressed out when the telegraph was invented and information moved quicker from town to town.

I for myself try to enjoy the show. Nobody surely knows what the future will bring.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Well I think the point of this is to eventually just give our brains access to unlimited information. It will be combined with AI to make us superhuman. Sounds science-fictionny, but Musk is nuts enough to do it.

He spoke about what it will do on Rogan's show:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5pgAM26wuM

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
One day we'll look back and say, "Remember how we had to pull out our phone to look something up!?"

I believe something like this is imminent, not sure the implications but seems like we're turning into computerized robots!

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Pretty cool stuff.

Very plausible stuff but I've read some books on AI and it seems the biggest issue is always the physical infrastructure of technology. We don't know how create something that would interact with it's environment intelligently. Or at least not even close to human like intelligence. The biggest issue being visual perception.

Shows just how forward looking and a visionary Elon is. But I think this is not even close to being a reality.

I think the key would be mixing some biology in there as a hunk of metal robot is not enough to mimic intelligence.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
One day we'll look back and say, "Remember how we had to pull out our phone to look something up!?"

I believe something like this is imminent, not sure the implications but seems like we're turning into computerized robots!
We're going to be grandparents telling our kids in the classic grandpa voice.. "back when i was your age, we knew what real work was. When we wanted an answer off Google, we had to work for it. None of this newfangled AI cortex stuff!"

D

Deleted50669

Mine sure as hell wont. At least as long as I'm allowed not to. It'll start as a benevolent attempt to enhance our information processing speeds. It will end with the highest bidder (Amazon) buying it to optimize advertising strategy based on human data streams.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I don't know why people get all pissy about personalized advertising. I actually reduces the amount of ads you have to see by like 90%. When ads aren't targeted you have to watch 300 bullshit ads for Tampons and Bounty Paper Towels and Geico because they just have to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. F*ck it.. scan my brainwaves and see what products I'd like. I ain't scurred.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
5 minutes till the announcement guys... i'm curious

can't wait to have ads delivered straight to my prefrontal cortex!

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This announcement is F*cking insane. I'm way impressed. If he succeeds at this, this may be the most important Press Conference in history. We're going to be telling your kids "yep, I watched that Press Conference while it was happening." I might apply for a job with them. I would love working on this project.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Bertram

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 25, 2015
Virginia
I’m less interested in this for computing but a neural interface for prosthetics would be amazing.
The original, first machine-brain interface, epic research from 1997-2006.

Here is the grandfather of brain-machine interface and the science of neural plasticity, Paul Bach-y-Rita. He used unfiltered peripheral neural pathways for "sensory substitution" for an impaired or absent sensory system, so that a blind man coneuld see and a paralyzed woman could dance.

Stephen Kercel, retired Oak Ridge Labs engineer, designed the technology.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z36LxkWt0Dk

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IQrxj82EIBs

Last edited:

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
This announcement is F*cking insane. I'm way impressed. If he succeeds at this, this may be the most important Press Conference in history. We're going to be telling your kids "yep, I watched that Press Conference while it was happening." I might apply for a job with them. I would love working on this project.

Totally understandable! And if you can apply why not? I'd love to but wouldn't be able to move there.

It's amazing what is possible when you put the right people together!

These results are easily 100x better than what is around and just thinking about how much better these algorithms will get when they can start with this amount of probes is mindblowing!

And also it is so well thought out with it being wireless, using it outside of a clinique, etc...

Musk has done it again! As he did with SpaceX, where he distributed the aerospace field by just rethinking and starting from fundamentals to reduce the cost by great orders of magnitude, he now is doing the same in the neuroscience field.

Only this time the applications are as exciting as scary at the same time...

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Totally understandable! And if you can apply why not? I'd love to but wouldn't be able to move there.

It's amazing what is possible when you put the right people together!

These results are easily 100x better than what is around and just thinking about how much better these algorithms will get when they can start with this amount of probes is mindblowing!

And also it is so well thought out with it being wireless, using it outside of a clinique, etc...

Musk has done it again! As he did with SpaceX, where he distributed the aerospace field by just rethinking and starting from fundamentals to reduce the cost by great orders of magnitude, he now is doing the same in the neuroscience field.

Only this time the applications are as exciting as scary at the same time...
Well I wonder if you would have to move there. It seems like they really want talent, so maybe they'll allow you to work remotely.

I posted the presentation and a shortened version here:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
People don't realize how BIG this is going to be.

It took Apple over 40 years to become a trillion-dollar company...

If they can pull this off, I think Nuralink will hit the trillion-dollar mark within 10 years of launching their MVP. They will also be the first to create a true general AI.

The effects of this technology will touch every human in every industry on every continent.

They'll make Facebook look like a toy for children.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
People don't realize how BIG this is going to be.

It took Apple over 40 years to become a trillion-dollar company...

If they can pull this off, I think Nuralink will hit the trillion-dollar mark within 10 years of launching their MVP. They will also be the first to create a true general AI.

The effects of this technology will touch every human in every industry on every continent.
Oh the ramifications of this will be like nothing the world has ever seen. We can't even imagine. In the article you posted they spoke about how huge of an impact language and information had on humanity, but I still don't even think they did it justice. As a result of that information exchange we sparked the Agricultural and especially the Industrial revolution. What were the actual effects?

You don't have to check out the video (although it's incredible too,) but even just the data I provided. It's mind boggling what this will accomplish. Neuralink is just the start. But Neuralink will act as a springboard for even greater human innovation, the same way the Gutenberg press did.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Oh the ramifications of this will be like nothing the world has ever seen. We can't even imagine. In the article you posted they spoke about how huge of an impact language and information had on humanity, but I still don't even think they did it justice. As a result of that information exchange we sparked the Agricultural and especially the Industrial revolution. What were the actual effects?

You don't have to check out the video (although it's incredible too,) but even just the data I provided. It's mind boggling what this will accomplish. Neuralink is just the start. But Neuralink will act as a springboard for even greater human innovation, the same way the Gutenberg press did.
Absolutely agree 100%.

This will dwarf even the agricultural and industrial revolutions.

AI, artificial life, planetary colonization, etc. are all coming in the next 100 years.

We're moving from changing our environments (ag/ind revs) to changing our very biology and life itself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.