The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why the SLOWLANE concept of financial security is BULLSHIT

Anything related to matters of the mind

Avisto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 31, 2014
I recently had a chat to an old university bud, mentioning in passing that I had discontinued my degree.

Bud: How's the business degree going?

Myself: Nadda. Just left.

Bud: Why?

Myself: It had become a time sink for me, and being truly honest with myself, I saw no end benefit to it.

Bud: Jeez dude, what are you going to do now? I remember you had like a distinction average before you left. Could have had a degree and financial stability, man.

Myself: Your idea of financial security is paper thin. Your idea of a steady paycheck only exists within very narrow parameters.

Bud: The way I see it is that degrees are a form of economic signalling - that you can strive through years of bullshit in order to achieve a goal, and that's why firms will hire you. But I guess you're not keen on working for a company in accounting, I fail to see how stability is an illusion though, explain. Progressing in a reputable firm while reaching success by walking up the corporate ladder offer security.

Myself: Why not strive through years of bullshit on your own terms? I'm cakewalking this degree, it's a waste of my energy. I'm trying to start a business and it's scattering my focus. To what end does anyone have any security? There are a million things that could happen that render you unable to work - or worse - unable to enjoy the fruits of your labor. It happens everyday man, I've seen it myself.

Bud: True, it can, I remember some guy approached me, he told me his story in relation to working in an investment bank then he suffered epilepsy and lost it all.

Myself: Well, there ya go then. Stability does not exist, because what determines you getting to work tomorrow is out of your control and it depends what value you feel you can generate with your time.
If what you believe you can reap as a dividend of your time when you invest it in your own path is greater than that of what you get from the firm, then the choice is quite simple. If you under-value your time, stick with the firm.

When you work in a firm you're generating wealth for your bosses, and only money for yourself. There is a difference, if that makes sense.

Bud: Makes perfect sense man, that's how the corporate world works, but now I know what you mean by stability being an illusion. Shown me the bigger picture, cheers.

-------------------

Take aways from this conversation

The slowlane concept of financial stability is quite literally non-existent. The idea of a "steady paycheck" is contingent upon your physical stability, your mental stability, technological innovations not making your job redundant, economic stability, family stability, the stability of the firm you work for, and a plethora of other things (the planets aligning :rolleyes:).

How is that any stability at all? How is it stability when it is predicated on a system, that is by it's nature UNSTABLE? It's like having your financial security as the piece right at the top of a Jenga tower. Sure, I can pull out a few pieces here and there and you might be OK, but to think that a Jenga tower is the exemplar of stability is absurd!

To me, the only logical choice is the Fastlane. The Slowlane is tantamount to indentured servitude in most cases, and that should really be enough to rouse you to action.

Anyway, this is just my take. Hope you all get something outta this :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Angus

I wouldn't even bother about arguing with people like that, simply tell them you're going your way. Talking about it is mental masturbation, don't show them the concept, show them the results.

Avisto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 31, 2014
Agreed, I put this story forth only as a story to illustrate my point. I had this conversation months ago before I had read the Millionaire Fastlane , or really kicked my business into gear. Meant it merely to shake some others into action.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Talking to people about something they can't comprehend or don't want to comprehend is a time waste.

If people really wanted to know, they would search for themselves. Most people chase money and the only way they can successfully get money is to work hours at a job they hate for shit pay.

This guy probably walked away telling himself that you are crazy.

don't show them the concept, show them the results.
The only way to really change someone's mind. MLM Schemes do this all the time.

Avisto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 31, 2014
Guess I'll just keep my head down and keep at it then. Will heed advice, thank you.

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
It's great to see your friend hear you out and take your comments in his stride. That's a cool dude.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
Amazing how thorough your memory is regarding this conversation. Most people can't tell a story distorted after a minute hearing it.

Avisto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Mar 31, 2014
Amazing how thorough your memory is regarding this conversation. Most people can't tell a story distorted after a minute hearing it.

Facebook Messaging

:)

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
After doing this repeatedly with the girlfriend, her response was the same..."you can do what you want, but u still need a job to live until then." Lol. I wont even argue with ppl...if they ask because they are curious, thats cool. If they want to argue, forget it. It is really refreshing to talk to ppl with the same mindset after a corporate paycheck where u have only 200 extra left, or talk about how much of a drain your job was that day.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I look at it like. They can have you by the balls or by a leash. The moment you cut the leash, people try to put your balls in a vice.
The catch there is, a leash will never stop them from going for the balls when you take it off, in reality they always gun for the jewels. Which means it is all for appearances.

I started building stuff alone 3 years ago, and everyone had this distorted reaction, which was bothersome. Until I realised, they just are not aware of cashflow.

Cashflow reacts to your choices, and to maintain and better it requires hustle.
Once your actions display that you cannot be grabbed by the jewels, and your cashflow matches, you can just politely decline those arguments, and leave the passive aggressive bs by the wayside.

If they are gonna stab you, make sure its in broad daylight and on your terms.
Most people wait until they are too old and let it happen quiet.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.