The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why the Founder of PayPal Wants You to Drop Out

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What a perfect description of Fastlane ideology ...

Peter Thiel is the ultimate Fastlaner.

Why The Founder Of Paypal Wants You To Drop Out & Start Up! « TheBizcoachblog.com

The Thiel Fellowship has just announced that it will pay would-be entrepreneurs under the age of 21, $100,000 in cash to drop out of school.

Thiel made his feelings clear about American universities which, he believes, cost more than they’re worth and hinder what really matters in life, namely achieving the American dream. His scholarships are meant as an escape hatch from what he feels is a trap; institutions of higher learning that create conformist robots who conform and do what they’re told rather than free thinking creators of their future.

He purposely hit on what he feels to be a deficiency in the educational ideology where students are taught to be good employees, with false expectations that they will make $100,000 right out of college. He stated that they are then shackled with a quarter of a million dollars in educational debt and then seek safety in corporate America. He proposed that following this ideology hamstrings an entrepreneurial path when to become an entrepreneur “people need to take risks. They often need to do things where they get paid less than they could earn elsewhere. To start out with enormous amounts of debt that becomes very hard to do.â€
He stated that his aim is “to target people who’d like to become entrepreneurs and see if there’s a way to mentor that process along.†Thiel’s program is premised on the idea that America suffers from a total neglect at fostering entrepreneurship, not only in the classroom but in our culture as a whole.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
A

Anon3587x

Does anyone know how to actually get a hold of that guy?

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I turned 21 last month.

How could I believe anything is possible if I let a year and few months bar me from applying?

Better to do, than not do.

If there's one thing I've learned, doing something that other people say you can't is one of the fastest ways to get somewhere in this life.

SuccessInMind

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 3, 2010
Santa Clara, California, United States
Damn, too old. Oh well, good luck to all the under 20 year olds!

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010
What a fantastic opportunity.

I dropped out of college with a 0.68 gpa (hey....I had to find out what beer and sororities were all about. =)

And I've been an entrepreneur ever since I was 18.

Many pitfalls....many mistakes.

But boy was it worth it.

I encourage everyone under 21 to apply to an opportunity such as this.

Henry Ford designed the American education system and he did it in order to "clone workers" for his factories.

I've learned more off of Google and conference calls, than any 4 year university could of "taught me".

~Free Your Life, Live Your Dreams~

Justin "Broker" Jones

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

I dropped out of college with a 0.68 gpa (hey....I had to find out what beer and sororities were all about. =)

And I've been an entrepreneur ever since I was 18.

Many pitfalls....many mistakes.

But boy was it worth it.

I encourage everyone under 21 to apply to an opportunity such as this.

Henry Ford designed the American education system and he did it in order to "clone workers" for his factories.

I've learned more off of Google and conference calls, than any 4 year university could of "taught me".

Justin "Broker" Jones

I feel exactly the same way. If you want to learn something, then go out into the world and learn it! Don't throw money down a drain to here some professor ramble on. I much prefer Google university.

nmarketing

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 9, 2010
Did you know one of the PayPal founders has a rocket to go to space?

I'm too old but good opportunity, hope they make the best of it.

ceoarob

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA

^^^^^^^^^^^
Are we related bro? Ha, story of my life.

^^^^^
That is parallel to the idea that I'm writing about for the essay.

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area

Justin "Broker" Jones

could of = could have. I guess Google and conference calls couldn't teach him basic grammar. Maybe it was a mis-quote by Oceanside, but I find it ironic none the less!

A

Anon3587x

Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory. Leonardo da Vinci

Oceanside

Banned
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah DarkJeddi.....bro you need to relax homey.

This is the interwebz and on a forum, and as long as the communication is clear it's all gravy.

You're definitely nitpicking.

-----

If you support the educational regime....aka profit making industry.......just up and say so.

Otherwise let's just all shout out our "amens" to the topic at hand and that is giving mad props to the owner of Paypal for his vision and his support of the entrepreneur.

Hokay?

:eusa_clap:

Niche

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 5, 2009
I beg to disagree guys. I have post graduate education and it help get me a great, well paid and satisfactory job. The only reason I am in affiliate marketing is trying to address the 'employee' status. No matter how great a job is, being an employee confers no security.

Granted, formal education is not the best path for everyone but don't knock it.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I beg to disagree guys. I have post graduate education and it help get me a great, well paid and satisfactory job. The only reason I am in affiliate marketing is trying to address the 'employee' status. No matter how great a job is, being an employee confers no security.

Granted, formal education is not the best path for everyone but don't knock it.

There's no question that if you want a great job, college is definitely a viable option.

Most of us here don't want to be employees, though, so it's not so useful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.