The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why is it that Ideas Don't Exist?

Idea threads

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
Why is it that new ideas don't exist?

Let me elaborate on that.

I find myself spending all my time generating ideas for different businesses and products. but then it feels like I'm an action faker. Cause every last one of those Ideas that I look into, end up having been already made after a little bit of market research.

A perfect example was when I was showering the other day and I turned it way up to get the shower steamy and to enjoy it a little bit. I thought wouldn't it be cool if there was some way to put a unit into the shower that would turn it into a sauna? Took me one google search to find steam showers, and two to find out that showers need to be highly specialized and steam resistant in order to serve the purpose anyway. so no making something that could do it to every shower, because it's very likely that few people even have showers that fit the steam proofing requirements, to begin with.

I was thinking that I could create a cheaper solution, but so much of the cost is in customizing the shower that basically no one could install it into their normal home showers in the first place.

Obviously that's not my first run-in with this issue, but it's the most recent, and honestly, feels like I am incapable of making ideas that would be new enough to catch anybody's attention.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not about to stop looking for opportunities, but I guess this is just a bit demoralizing helps me respect the grind a lot more.

Edit: I realized I posted this in the wrong forum so I ended up reposting it in Ideas. Concept Feedback

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
Why is it that new ideas don't exist?

Let me elaborate on that.

I find myself spending all my time generating ideas for different businesses and products. but then it feels like I'm an action faker. Cause every last one of those Ideas that I look into, end up having been already made after a little bit of market research.

A perfect example was when I was showering the other day and I turned it way up to get the shower steamy and to enjoy it a little bit. I thought wouldn't it be cool if there was some way to put a unit into the shower that would turn it into a sauna? Took me one google search to find steam showers, and two to find out that showers need to be highly specialized and steam resistant in order to serve the purpose anyway. so no making something that could do it to every shower, because it's very likely that few people even have showers that fit the steam proofing requirements, to begin with.

I was thinking that I could create a cheaper solution, but so much of the cost is in customizing the shower that basically no one could install it into their normal home showers in the first place.

Obviously that's not my first run-in with this issue, but it's the most recent, and honestly, feels like I am incapable of making ideas that would be new enough to catch anybody's attention.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not about to stop looking for opportunities, but I guess this is just a bit demoralizing helps me respect the grind a lot more.

Edit: I realized I posted this in the wrong forum so I ended up reposting it in Ideas. Concept Feedback
Is the world perfect, then? )

Zooman009

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 29, 2020
Utah, USA
Is the world perfect, then? )
I get the point you're making... haha. No, it's far from it. I was kinda just getting down on myself. It's easy to feel like the only people who really make something new are the ones with PhDs. but at the same time, I know that many people with that education end up being locked in a box because of how many years they spent thinking one way.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Do people want a steam shower? Or do they actually want a private space to feel warm and relaxed?
How can you help give them the latter? A few 5 minute thoughts:
  • Services to build custom bathrooms with steam showers
  • Normal bathroom/shower to steam shower conversion services
  • A solution that steam-proofs normal showers without a full rebuild
  • A Backyard sauna/shower shed kit
  • Some sort of "steam pod" that fits over a bathtub
  • Some sort of Infrared lamp setup in the shower area
  • Something that preheats your shower floor or blows warm air into the shower area
Take a look into building "lateral" or "divergent" thinking skills. I'm no expert in it either! After years of schooling, an engineering degree, and thousands of practice problems with a single correct answer, that skill pretty much fell out of use for me and I'm trying hard to train myself and find it again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
You cannot rely on new ideas. They are worth a lot LESS than old ideas, as they are untested and take a lot of effort through trial and error to shape into being, at which point other people start copying you. Look up 'lindy effect'. If you become good at executing ideas, ideas will appear to you, presented by the world around you, or people approaching you with opportunities. If you want to be the idea person that approaches the one skilled at execution, you will need some excellent ideas, usually as a result of being an expert in some niche field/area.

'New ideas' that actually revolutionize everyday life for people happen suddenly, and then become iterated and refined during the centuries that follow. The original inventor / ideator lights the spark, and the people who refine/adapt/distribute the idea in the form of a product/service reap the long-time rewards.

This means you pick ideas that suit your own skills and the environment/time you are in, rather than inventing your own idea that would only work in an ideal future world.

LifeisSuffering

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Aug 14, 2020
Take a look into building "lateral" or "divergent" thinking skills. I'm no expert in it either! After years of schooling, an engineering degree, and thousands of practice problems with a single correct answer, that skill pretty much fell out of use for me and I'm trying hard to train myself and find it again.
what do you recommend to develop this skill ? because i have it too; seeing a problem through multi dimensional solution. and yeah due to studing engineering and playing chess

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.